• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Hawk269

So for those of us that contributed and we have our Steam Keys, is the final build available for download already or do we have to wait for the official release date? I downloaded the game over a month ago on steam, but there were still a lot of things not final, so just curious now that the game is final has the game updated to final status?

Blizzard

Banned
So for those of us that contributed and we have our Steam Keys, is the final build available for download already or do we have to wait for the official release date? I downloaded the game over a month ago on steam, but there were still a lot of things not final, so just curious now that the game is final has the game updated to final status?
I'm not 100% certain, but it looks that way. My Project CARS Steam library entry changed over today from the "[daily]" one to just "Project CARS".

Megasoum

Banned

The final build is out but they are still planning on some minor patches before release. If you are a Full Member or + then it's the real deal... You can delete your profile one final time and then you're good to go.

If you're a Junior or Team Member then you can play the latest build but you'll loose access at some point before release and you'll have to buy the game using your coupon.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of the Steam version, it still has the account login screen. Is that getting patched out or is there going to be some way to create an account from that screen?

Metfanant

What's the console Pre-order situation look like here in the US?...

What I've seen there is some exclusive stuff for GameStop, but that we don't get the limited edition here in the states?

The PCars website mentions that the digital editions will come with the "limited" car pack..is that Euro only? Or does that apply to us peasants here in the US as well?

Helznicht

Speaking of awesome videos... I know it was posted on gaf before but can'T remember in which thread so whatever... I was re-watching the Capri video from Digiprost today.

That thing is a BEAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LJZYZGQ-DI

Nice vid. In this it seems his view camera is sitting much closer to the dash than in other vids I have seen. Since I plan on playing with a wheel, setting it so I cant see the in-game wheel would be ideal. Is this adjustable in the setting or can you create custom viewports?

Megasoum

Banned
Nice vid. In this it seems his view camera is sitting much closer to the dash than in other vids I have seen. Since I plan on playing with a wheel, setting it so I cant see the in-game wheel would be ideal. Is this adjustable in the setting or can you create custom viewports?

You can move around the seat with key bindings.

Megasoum

Banned
Who's leg do I have to hump to get a Wii U screenshot around here? HA!

They've said on multiple occasion that the developpement of the WiiU version was on hold until all the other versions are out the door. We'll probably see more in a couple of months.

Sipheren

Banned
Who's leg do I have to hump to get a Wii U screenshot around here? HA!

Screens were leaking from the official dev forum way back so they stopped posting them. It has been on hold for a while anyway, main priority is getting the PC/Xbone/PS4 versions out.

danowat

Banned
Any chance someone could confirm if the kart tracks are limited to karts?, or can you use other cars, likewise can you use karts on the rest of the tracks?.

Would be a shame to have a number of tracks restricted to one car type.

Sini

Any chance someone could confirm if the kart tracks are limited to karts?, or can you use other cars, likewise can you use karts on the rest of the tracks?.

Would be a shame to have a number of tracks restricted to one car type.
They disallowed it about two months ago iirc.
More than two months ago but whatever:
18 November: Fixed one last missed GUI variant, that allowed player to send a non-kart vehicle to a kart-only track
27 November: MP: Restrict availability of kart tracks to kart vehicles.

nkarafo

Hmm the minimum requirements for this game seem very generous as far as the GPU is concerned... a 9600GT? Not even a 9800/8800?

So we should expect 60fps with max setting with a 660 class GPU?

SmokyDave

Do we know if there will be a demo for the PC version?

As the day gets closer I'm starting to think that I really want to play this with a wheel. Since my wheel is Logitech that limits me to the PC. I know my PC won't keep up with the PS4 (HD5850 2GB / six core AMD) but if I can even squeeze 720p30 out of it for the time being, I think I'd rather that than 1080p60(ish) with a controller.

I'm not confident enough in my PC to just buy the game blind so if there's no demo, I'll stick with the PS4 version.

Mascot

Mostly no. They tend to stutter.

Ooh.. that's a little disappointing to hear. It was great to learn that replays were 60fps (after suffering 30fps ones for so long in FM and GT), but stuttering could be really distracting. Is the cause known? Any idea if it's being worked on?

Do we know if there will be a demo for the PC version?

As the day gets closer I'm starting to think that I really want to play this with a wheel. Since my wheel is Logitech that limits me to the PC. I know my PC won't keep up with the PS4 (HD5850 2GB / six core AMD) but if I can even squeeze 720p30 out of it for the time being, I think I'd rather that than 1080p60(ish) with a controller.

I'm not confident enough in my PC to just buy the game blind so if there's no demo, I'll stick with the PS4 version.

Isn't Logitech support rumoured to be coming for PS4..?

danowat

Banned
More than two months ago but whatever:
18 November: Fixed one last missed GUI variant, that allowed player to send a non-kart vehicle to a kart-only track
27 November: MP: Restrict availability of kart tracks to kart vehicles.

Boooo.

Ooh.. that's a little disappointing to hear. It was great to learn that replays were 60fps (after suffering 30fps ones for so long in FM and GT), but stuttering could be really distracting. Is the cause known? Any idea if it's being worked on?

For what its worth I don't seem to have this problem but I do run at medium/low settings with the cheapest MSAA AA so I get smooth 60 in all conditions (my PC is a 4690/960 combo). Vsync wise I run adaptive from the driver.

That is a none sense...

If you are an inverstor who has to assume a risk of investing an unknown product, what is your ROI? 0?

Actually pCars is like the only kickstarter game out there that's actually paying backers a share of the profits.

The rest are all glorified pre orders and or charities where you invest with no return

Mascot

Seen a few comments on GAF (and loads elsewhere) stating incredulity that the game will launch with the "Project C.A.R.S." moniker. That name did feel a little clumsy to start with but has grown on me since and I'm quite comfortable with it now, but it's obvious that quite a few people thought it was still (as originally intended, I think) a placeholder, and they were waiting for the 'real' name.

Question then (for a bit of fun): what could Project C.A.R.S. have better been called? What name would sum it up neatly, concisely and accurately? It's not as easy as you think - it's got to be something 'serious' to suit the simulation ecosystem and motorsport bias, but snappy enough to be accessible. Something like 'Slipstream' sounds too arcadey.

For the record, I think 'Forza Motorsport' is borderline misleading, as motorsport is a poorly-implemented afterthought in that series, but 'Gran Turismo' and 'Assetto Corsa' are superb titles: evocative, appropriate, and slightly exotic.

Any ideas?

Zeknurn

Seen a few comments on GAF (and loads elsewhere) stating incredulity that the game will launch with the "Project C.A.R.S." moniker. That name did feel a little clumsy to start with but has grown on me since and I'm quite comfortable with it now, but it's obvious that quite a few people thought it was still (as originally intended, I think) a placeholder, and they were waiting for the 'real' name.

Question then (for a bit of fun): what could Project C.A.R.S. have better been called? What name would sum it up neatly, concisely and accurately? It's not as easy as you think - it's got to be something 'serious' to suit the simulation ecosystem and motorsport bias, but snappy enough to be accessible. Something like 'Slipstream' sounds too arcadey.

For the record, I think 'Forza Motorsport' is borderline misleading, as motorsport is a poorly-implemented afterthought in that series, but 'Gran Turismo' and 'Assetto Corsa' are superb titles: evocative, appropriate, and slightly exotic.

Any ideas?

Maldonado Racing Simulator.

Any ideas?

Tough one, my brain hurts! All I can think in my mind is Alan Partridge and his monkey tennis!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Any ideas?

Macchina Potenza - Macchina is machine and I think has a nice staccato way of pronouncing it; potenza is power in Italian and sounds like potent or potential in English

Chequered Flag? Bit like an early 90's arcade racing game maybe

danowat

Banned
Project CARS is ok as a development title, but as a retail title, it's a very poor choice IMO.

Chequered flag is a good shout, something like Pole Position or Pedal to the metal (Shift? ;P) would be better, something descriptive, although I am not a fan of the faux exotic sounding names.

_machine

Any ideas?
It's a tough question and one that was there right from the start. Right at the beginning of the project there was a competition over on NoGrip and even still after thousands of suggestions there wasn't a clear winner and I think the Community Assisted Race Simulator won, which then later on became Project CARS as CARS by itself wasn't good.

SmokyDave

Any ideas?
Project Motorsports.
Flames 'N' Dames.
Speedhunting Pistonheads.
Scuderia vs. Rosso.
Ford Racing 4 (feat some other irrelevant cars).

Edit: Track Daze. Track Day Fever DX.

Sipheren

Banned
Looks good. What are your PC specs?

Also, the replay seemed to stutter a bit, but I couldn't tell if that was YouTube or not (I was watching at 720p60). Are the replays actually silky-smooth?

My specs:

Xeon E3-1231 v3
12GB RAM
GTX 970

Runs locked to 60FPS with everything on High and res @ 1080P.

As for the replays, the fps counter says 60FPS uninterrupted but it does stutter a bit.

Mascot

I always liked FX Exhaust Heat from the SNES days.

Something like Transmission Whine maybe? Maybe not.

Propshaft?

Downforce Racing?

OverRun? Mmm.. that one might have potential. Evokes OutRun, and suggests flaming exhausts and maybe running wide on a bend.

Top Bottom