• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

I just want the open wheeled cars, don't overly enjoy road cars for some reason. I can appreciate them in the game, but in terms of fun I just can't have as much fun as I do with my open wheel.

Same. My favourites in game are definitely the formula rookie, c and b. Not so much the A but thats mainly because I prefer the tracks less suited to flat out formula 1.

Megasoum

Banned
I just want the open wheeled cars, don't overly enjoy road cars for some reason. I can appreciate them in the game, but in terms of fun I just can't have as much fun as I do with my open wheel.

Yeah... I don't mind road cars but I don't like super cars. Like the Pagani stuff and other similar Super Cars. They look amazing on a poster in a kid's bedroom but they drive like shit.

I'm a huge Open Wheel fan but I gotta say... The Formula A in pCARS (the F1 equivalent) is a bitch to drive lol. Even with assists on I have a tough time keeping it on the track.

The smaller open wheel classes are fucking amazing tho. I think the most fun I've had with the game so far has bee the Formula Rookie championship. Small "Formula Ford" type of cars that I play with my sequential shifter. Pure joy to drive

To be fair, the driving sim I have probably spent the most amount of time with only had 20 cars.......Live For Speed

Yep... I keep repeating it but for me a racing sim should always be Tracks over Cars. As long as you have a good enough diversity in the car list then I'm good. The tracks on the other hand, if you only have a small numbers you are fucked and the game will get boring really fast.

Nothing wrong with the Forza/GT pokemon style of play but it's a completely different thing.

Metfanant

Seem about right?, any omissions?

They've certainly got the racing side of it sewn up, no issue there, I guess that I personally would have liked a few more road going models, but I guess it's personal preference.

Obviously quality over quantity, which isn't a bad thing.
The more the better, but this game is really focused on the career of being a race car driver...it makes sense that the vast majority of cars would be actual race cars...

I'm a huge Open Wheel fan but I gotta say... The Formula A in pCARS (the F1 equivalent) is a bitch to drive lol. Even with assists on I have a tough time keeping it on the track.

I find it takes super concentration, if I can stay focused I can get in a good rhythm and all's well, if mind wanders even for a millisecond its game over!

Kazdane

Gold Member
Yeah... I don't mind road cars but I don't like super cars. Like the Pagani stuff and other similar Super Cars. They look amazing on a poster in a kid's bedroom but they drive like shit.

The smaller open wheel classes are fucking amazing tho. I think the most fun I've had with the game so far has bee the Formula Rookie championship. Small "Formula Ford" type of cars that I play with my sequential shifter. Pure joy to drive

Yep... I keep repeating it but for me a racing sim should always be Tracks over Cars. As long as you have a good enough diversity in the car list then I'm good. The tracks on the other hand, if you only have a small numbers you are fucked and the game will get boring really fast.

Nothing wrong with the Forza/GT pokemon style of play but it's a completely different thing.

Actually in pCars the Paganis are quite fun to drive (especially the Zonda R), for me, of course. And I'm the kind of person that hates how the physics are in most racing games because they seem to go after the "cars driving on ice" approach rather than what you see in real races.

You don't see drivers struggling to keep the car in a straight line at all, you seem them make mistakes and lose it, but not struggle constantly, and pCars has been so far the only game where I've felt the physics seemed to be closer to what you see in a racetrack.

Spookie

You don't see drivers struggling to keep the car in a straight line at all, you seem them make mistakes and lose it, but not struggle constantly, and pCars has been so far the only game where I've felt the physics seemed to be closer to what you see in a racetrack.

Try GSCE or AC for open wheelers. GSCE probably has the best open wheelers in a sim but unfortunately it looks like arse. :(

It's track selection is some what eclectic as well.

As the games is coming soon I've started noting down some tips I might have for newcomers based on my experiences (stuff that might not be obvious). Here's the first few, will add more as I think of them!

Controller players
- There are three default settings, these are accessed through the controller mode option which is unfortunately right at the bottom of the options list! I find setting 2 the best but your mileage may vary.
- Also I'd advise starting with the assists (STM, ABS, TC) on (or at least set to real so cars that have them in life have them in game) until you get comfortable, there is a learning curve.

Wheel and controller players
- make sure you check out the control assignments. Find out what buttons are wipers/lights etc because you'll probably need them!

Accessing car livery selection - The initial car select screen doesn't give you access to liveries, you'll need to hit Y to go into your garage from where you can select cars and liveries.

AI
- First corners can be mad, try and let the race settle before making any crazy manoeuvres!
- If you think you've been wronged by the AI check the replay, 9 times out of 10 I find it actually was me in the wrong!
- You will need to defend or they will slip up the inside so be aware.
- If you set crazy races don't expect the AI to hold up. Formula A at Cadwell is never going to end well!

How do you set it to CRAZY? Is that an actual setting name?

Lol no sorry what I meant was expecting a formula one grid to negotiate a tight circuity not suited to that type of car will end badly.

I can confirm 100% (I don't think I'm NDA'd for this!) that there is no setting called crazy! :)

Marmac

Banned
By the way I hope the game runs as well as Assetto Corsa on my new GTX 970 on three screens, as that's definitely a nice thing for racing games. Suddenly the whole thing looks actual car size when you sit there and you can see a turn properly when you take it. The kicker for me was I had these screens already anyway, one was in the process of being phased out (diode starting to fail causing a lengthy startup time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bypZEug-w

Still runs at a solid 60fps too at 50xxx10xx, except when I have 12 cars in front of me, and the advantage is that my old Logitech wheel still works properly (though I had to look up the shortcut combo to set the wheel in 900 degree mode manually) and feels pretty good after dialing down the force feedback to about 60%.

With the PS4 version also not supporting gyro steering (which is great in DriveClub), it will definitely be PC version for me now.

I love Assetto Corsa but the ai is still dumb as shit. I hate how the ai runs you off the road from behind (which can clearly be seen in your video as well). This needs to be fixed asap as it happens way too often to me too.

Klocker

As the games is coming soon I've started noting down some tips I might have for newcomers based on my experiences (stuff that might not be obvious). Here's the first few, will add more as I think of them!

Controller players
- There are three default settings, these are accessed through the controller mode option which is unfortunately right at the bottom of the options list! I find setting 2 the best but your mileage may vary.
- Also I'd advise starting with the assists (STM, ABS, TC) on (or at least set to real so cars that have them in life have them in game) until you get comfortable, there is a learning curve.

Wheel and controller players
- make sure you check out the control assignments. Find out what buttons are wipers/lights etc because you'll probably need them!

Accessing car livery selection - The initial car select screen doesn't give you access to liveries, you'll need to hit Y to go into your garage from where you can select cars and liveries.

AI
- First corners can be mad, try and let the race settle before making any crazy manoeuvres!
- If you think you've been wronged by the AI check the replay, 9 times out of 10 I find it actually was me in the wrong!
- You will need to defend or they will slip up the inside so be aware.
- If you set crazy races don't expect the AI to hold up. Formula A at Cadwell is never going to end well!

Thanks. can controller users set it up for dual stick driving? (accelerator on rt stick)

Megasoum

Banned
So huh... The official pCARS twitter account tweeted earlier "We're in a meeting, please retweet this".

Found out later on the WMD forums that it was because they were in a meeting with some secret partners and they wanted to show them the power of social media/community.

Ok... whatever... Could be anything.

The thing is... Andy Tudor tweeted 20min later showing his brand new Logitech Gaming keyboard he just got..

So huh... The official pCARS twitter account tweeted earlier "We're in a meeting, please retweet this".

Found out later on the WMD forums that it was because they were in a meeting with some secret partners and they wanted to show them the power of social media/community.

Ok... whatever... Could be anything.

The thing is... Andy Tudor tweeted 20min later showing his brand new Logitech Gaming keyboard he just got..

Check again, nothing to do with Logitech unfortunately.

Phinor

To be fair, the driving sim I have probably spent the most amount of time with only had 20 cars.......Live For Speed

I'd say if the game/car is well made, you can almost spend the rest of your lifetime mastering that single car. I spent half a year learning Chevrolet Corvette C6.R in iRacing and in the end I was average at best. Having played all the recent games with hundreds of cars (recent = pretty much all X360/PS3/PS4Xbone racing games), I much prefer the option of fewer but better made.

Sipheren

Banned
Had some laps at Bathurst, they messed up the dipper a bit, throws me off after many laps in iRacing/Forza.

Looks really good but.

https://youtu.be/KLldrYFZHP0

Project CARS is a good name too, I am glad they didn't use any of the suggestions in this thread so far... lol

Lach

So I've started to set up a signup/survey for a Neogaf ProjectCARS Championship.

I only care about PC but I'll add a platform of choice option so we can see if there's enough interest in a Console League.

I think the main points for the survey are:
- Finding a time of the week that is suitable for most people. Our F1 league had races on Sat 4pm GMT. That suited us best as most of participants were from europe and it was still a decent time for America (Australia not so much). I guess we'll have to first see where the participants are from and then decide on a time that fits the majority.

- Finding a good league format
My suggestion would be that everyone can chose a car / track combination that will become part of the championship calendar. If we have a large field of drivers, we can have a vote and use the top 10 or 15.

Any other points that should go into the survey?

I really want to try out if this game works on my laptop. Assetto works fine (while looking very ugly of course, with all the graphics settings on low), but I'm not sure if this one will as well. It is a looker of course.

Mascot

Who's doing the OT in a couple of weeks? And how about some naming suggestions?

Project CARS |OT| It's the pits, man!
Project CARS |OT| All aspirations catered for
Project CARS |OT| It's what its called - deal with it.

Seanspeed

Banned
You dont have to buy them, most of them are standard anyway and can only be bought used.

Still more quality in the gt6 car list if you ask me. All premium here: http://www.kudosprime.com/gt6/carlist.php?quality=P
I'll criticize GT5's car list, but not GT6. 6 finally added a lot more variety and kicked up the European cars quite a bit.

But I also agree with others that in a proper sim, you don't need a ton of cars. 1 well done car combined with a great physics model gives you a ton of value. Assetto Corsa has more cars than I will ever have the chance of truly diving into properly and most would say its car list is quite small/limited. I like games with big car lists like GT/Forza quite a bit, but there is something to be said about quality over quantity when it comes to a real sim.

Anyways, looking forward to a Project Cars championship if we can get one going. I'm certainly down. Wouldn't mind a couple weeks to get accustomed to the game(not a backer) first, though. I can do without if necessary, but it'd be nice, not just to learn a car necessarily, but to get a grip on dialling in settings like FFB and FoV and HUD and understanding pit systems and all that fuzz.

_machine

So I've started to set up a signup/survey for a Neogaf ProjectCARS Championship.

Any other points that should go into the survey?
I think controls and assists should be addressed. Do we allow pad players (I for example don't have a working wheel at the moment) and do we allows certain assists for players as well as not locking the camera to cockpit?

danowat

Banned

I only care about PC but I'll add a platform of choice option so we can see if there's enough interest in a Console League.

+1 interest for a console league for me please!

Top Bottom