• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

GDGF

Soothsayer
ZealousD said:
That's not necessarily why I'm bringing it up. I don't expect Muhammad to have insta-win abilities or anything - that'd be "Allah" which should theoretically spawn the same sprite as "God".

I'm bringing it up because of the whole forbidden thing in portraying them. I think it'd be funny if you wrote/tapped in Muhammad and got nothing but a silhouette or a pixelization censor.

Oh, true that. Exucse my ignorance. You make a good point. I have a feeling god is as close as they're going to get to a religious figure, though. Too much controversy.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This game is so many things for so many people.

It's a clever puzzle game. It's a thought experiment. It's 'Deadliest Warrior' in handheld form.

It's those things and more.

radjago

@Post #217
wanted-time-traveler.jpg

vareon

GDGF said:
Oh, true that. Exucse my ignorance. You make a good point. I have a feeling god is as close as they're going to get to a religious figure, though. Too much controversy.

Yep, I'd rather have this game lost some controversial nouns than having it only to get hammered on release.

I dunno, Muhammed was an actual person. That seems to fall under the proper noun umbrella.

Prophet may work, but it probably won't be anyone specific.

Imm0rt4l

Wii Will Rock U said:
Played it on the show floor.

Other internet memes present inside the game include "LOL WUT" and "Longcat". :lol

LOL WUT drops the famous smiling lima bean onto the stage. He is useless. Longcat drops into the stage inside a cloud and grows tall then shrinks back into the cloud.

The game has to be one of my DS games of the show.
this might blow your mind, but it's not a lima bean.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Eteric Rice said:
Haha, thats awesome. :lol

Someone asked a good question on /v/. Can you use something like morphine to knock an enemy out?

Yeah, probably in a form of a needle that you can use. I was thinking of this when I thought up a tranquilizer gun.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This game should have a time attack mode where you have a limited amount of time to get the Starrite before the clock ticks down and the level explodes or something.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
bounchfx said:
iphone version would be sweet and certainly possible, the only thing I'd worry about is the size of the game.

whats the largest iphone game out there ?
Myst, clocking in at... 727MB

There are a bunch of games at over 100MB too.

The biggest DS cart is 2Gb (256MB)

And though it would be cool, there's no way they're going to port it to the iPhone, they'd have to rewrite all the graphical engine and a bunch of other stuff (though they'd probably be able to reuse Objectnaut as-is) including but not limited to the whole UI.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dante said:
I didn't say wow.

Guess I'm a graphics whore...Sorry.

It's OK, we'll just lump you with Son of Godzilla as the only other person so far that is meh about it.

Ramenman

GDGF said:
It's a clever puzzle game. It's a thought experiment. It's 'Deadliest Warrior' in handheld form.

It's a dictionnary.

Seriously, when I don't know of an English word that seems to refer to an object, I google it to find a picture.

With Scribblenauts, I'll just type it in !
I'm not actually buying the game because of this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
HappyBivouac said:
Doesn't this put 5th Cell in danger of copyright stuff?
Technically, the author should be able to demonstrate 5th Cell are profiting from the LOL WUT pear being in the game, and that the pear you spawn by writing LOL WUT is indeed the one from her artwork (not as easy as it seems, 'cause they are obviously referencing the meme, aka something else that derived from her artwork, with art assets they made themselves).
I'm sure they had quite a few chats with their legals before including anything that could even remotely be copyrighted, so they probably have nothing to worry about.

Twig

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Doesn't this put 5th Cell in danger of copyright stuff?
I asked before, but... why doesn't that fall under fair use, or whatever it's called? I don't know much about copyright laws. Is that only for parodies and that sort of thing? 5th Cell isn't claiming ownership of the pear, only including it in their game (in the guise of an internet meme, granted).

I don't understand. ): Anything that would prevent this from happening is a stupid law anyway.

Teasel

xfactor said:
There's one more...not sure if its been posted yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmzGJA6FRw&feature=channel_page

11 minutes into the video

Lion > Lion Tamer & Matador
Cthulu > Lion
Vampire > Cthulu
Vampire Hunter (Van Helsing?) > Vampire
Medusa > Vampire Hunter
please don't kill me for saying this but shouldn't the lion tamer be able to tame the lion? wouldn't a vampire hunter use crosses,holy water and stuff to fight a vampire?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ramenman said:
Yep, Co-op episode has already been posted. However I didn't find enough emphasis on the fact that MEDUSA SEEMS TO TURNS THINGS TO STONE.

That's the one thing that gets me about this game; it's not just a bunch of items coded into the game that sit around doing nothing. Everything, at least on a base level, has some kind of functionality.

I shall write in:

Tyson
LOLcat
Badger Badger Badger
Dramatic Chipmunk
The Hampster Dance
Dancing baby
Dancing Banana
All your base are belong to us
Leeroy Jenkins

That is all.

Ramenman

Teasel said:
please don't kill me for saying this but shouldn't the lion tamer be able to tame the lion? wouldn't a vampire hunter use crosses,holy water and stuff to fight a vampire?

Look better, he's clearly using the typical wooden spike, that's sufficient to me.

Also, a lion tamer only tames his lions. Put a lion tamer in a wild jungle he's not going to tame whatever comes jumping at him.

A Link to the Snitch said:
I shall write in:

Tyson
LOLcat
Badger Badger Badger
Dramatic Chipmunk
The Hampster Dance
Dancing baby
Dancing Banana
All your base are belong to us
Leeroy Jenkins

That is all.

Won't work, maybe, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, hardly any hope.

When was the last post telling people to read the OP rules before posting and stop with the memes or GTFO ? I think we need a new one.

Twig

Banned
Ramenman said:
When was the last post telling people to read the OP rules before posting and stop with the memes or GTFO ? I think we need a new one.
What crawled up your butt?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Teasel said:
please don't kill me for saying this but shouldn't the lion tamer be able to tame the lion?

I thought about this but then it dawned on me - the lion tamer has neither a whip nor a chair to use against the lion, so he's pretty much rubber ducked. It's the same with the cop not spawning with a gun. The vampire hunter, however, ALWAYS comes prepared.

Vampire Hunter > Cop > Lion Tamer

fresquito

SovanJedi said:
I thought about this but then it dawned on me - the lion tamer has neither a whip nor a chair to use against the lion, so he's pretty much rubber ducked. It's the same with the cop not spawning with a gun. The vampire hunter, however, ALWAYS comes prepared.

Vampire Hunter > Cop > Lion Tamer
So, maybe, if you create a whip and a chair, then summon the lion tamer, add these objects to him, then summon a lion, he will tame the beast.

Hehehe, thinking about these situations is more fun than playing plenty of games out there :D

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
By the Gods, my friends were right.

This game is astounding. Turning into a complete fan of this game didn't even take a full minute. :lol

xfactor

Banned
Teasel said:

Lion Tamer is just an ordinary human in the end without his whip and chair. Same goes to a vampire hunter. He can't use them probably because you didn't summon 'em. Just scribble 'crosses' and 'holy water' and he might use it against the vampire.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Eteric Rice said:
Question. Can I attach toast to the back of a cat and get a antigravity toastcat?

I've always been confused by this. Wouldn't you attach the buttered toast to the feet of a cat? I mean, cats always land on four legs, so putting toast on the back would do nothing. The cat would just... land. Its feet are still open. However, if you put the toast on the feet, then it would only have two options of landing - on its back, or on the buttered side of toast - both of which are impossible, resulting in antigravity.

Come on, someone agree with me here.

Wired

Pseudo_Sam said:
I've always been confused by this. Wouldn't you attach the buttered toast to the feet of a cat? I mean, cats always land on four legs, so putting toast on the back would do nothing. The cat would just... land. Its feet are still open. However, if you put the toast on the feet, then it would only have two options of landing - on its back, or on the buttered side of toast - both of which are impossible, resulting in antigravity.

Well, yeah you are totally right. I always found that gif totally ridiculous and you just summed up why.

Ramenman said:
Look better, he's clearly using the typical wooden spike, that's sufficient to me.

Also, a lion tamer only tames his lions. Put a lion tamer in a wild jungle he's not going to tame whatever comes jumping at him.

Won't work, maybe, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, won't work, hardly any hope.

Explain to me why Dancing banana won't work, but Longcat can? If they choose to put Dancing banana in, it doesn't mean they broke any rule.

Dur dur dur dur dur, use more think, etc.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
fresquito said:
So, maybe, if you create a whip and a chair, then summon the lion tamer, add these objects to him, then summon a lion, he will tame the beast.

Hehehe, thinking about these situations is more fun than playing plenty of games out there :D

Maybe that's one of the later levels, you need to give something to someone in order to help them protect themselves from imminent danger?

I wonder what would happen if you gave him something silly, like a feather duster, toenail clippers or a loofah? Would he still try defending himself with it? Would he just throw them at the lion and run away?

...I never thought after this E3 it would be this game that I'd be thinking of the most. More than New Super Mario Wii, Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Endless Ocean 2, S&P 2, God of War 3, Last Guardian, and anything else.

Twig

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:

A cat always lands on its feet. Buttered toast always lands butter side down.

You can use the same backwards logic (you know... as much as logic plays any part in this) to disprove your scenario.

Also, you have to consider it as dropping BOTH the cat AND the toast at the same time. You're not dropping the cat with toast attached, and you're not dropping the toast with cat attached. Both at the same time.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
TheOneGuy said:
A cat always lands on its feet. Buttered toast always lands butter side down.

Oh.

I guess I was thinking the opposite - a cat never lands on its back, buttered toast never lands dry side up.

Whatever. Why the hell am I talking about this?

Top Bottom