• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #165 - "Unobtainable"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

just_out_of_reach_by_grr9-d3ftiq3.jpg

Theme - "Unobtainable"

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, May 8th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, May 9th, and goes until Monday, May 13th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: I could never write like this

I think it is save to assume that most, if not all of us, have had the experience where we read something and had this profound feeling of inadequacy. This challenge I want us to overcome this. I want you to look at the work of this author that you really adore and explore what it is that makes you worship them so much. Once you figure that out try to copy it.
The rest is up to your interpretation. You like the voice of an author? The way they build worlds? Their style in general? It doesn't matter. This secondary is about trying to be what you yourself think you can't be (and proving yourself wrong).

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Neeener

Neo Member
Congrats on the win!
Great topic, love how the secondary ties in.... I definitely feel some writing skills are unobtainable, but I will give it a shot! :)

Nezumi

Opening line of Murakami's novel.

Funny enough I think I remember that Murakami himself disliked "Hear the wind sing" so much that he actually distanced himself from it. Which is also why it and Pinball 1973 did not get any new editions after their initial release.
I always thought this was crazy since it is one of my favorite books by him.

Congrats on the win ;o I have a concept stirring already, good theme.

I'll try to be more or less coherent this time

dohohohoho

Mike M

Nick N
Actually, I think I've got something cooking for the secondary too. I'm going to write this one with a completely different approach and see what happens.

Cyan

Banned
I'm super curious what people are going to do for the secondary. What everyone is emulating?

Still thinking about it. There are a few directions I could go because there are a lot of authors who I admire and are way out of my league. Gene Wolfe? Ursula K. Le Guin? Joseph Heller? Someone much more literary and totally out of my normal wheelhouse, let alone league?

Nezumi

I think I'll try my hand at some Catherynne M. Valente. I adore the way she tells stories and there is a poetic tone to her work that I think will be quite challenging for me to accomplish.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm frankly not sophisticated enough to tease out what makes an author be that author and try and emulate it.

Unobtainable, not ium!

Are you suggesting that Unobtanium is somehow paradoxabily-ibiy-itibily-ah-whatever, obtainable?
That seems to go against the name, somehow.

I'll probably going to use something I was working on before for this challenge though. It's a bit of a stretch (damn you, Reed Richards!! ), but I think it will work.

Sethista

This is being the first challenge that I have no idea on waht to do, the more I think about where I could go the worse it gets.

Neeener

Neo Member
You know that awesome feeling when a story you love pops into your mind complete with scenes, hook, conflict, characters you like.... followed immediately by the realization there is no way to do it justice in 2,500 words?
yeeeeeeeeah.

You know that awesome feeling when a story you love pops into your mind complete with scenes, hook, conflict, characters you like.... followed immediately by the realization there is no way to do it justice in 2,500 words?
yeeeeeeeeah.
Stop at 2,497 and put "To Be Continued?"

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, my first draft is nearly 4K words (I have a bit of a postmortem on how this occurred). I don't doubt I can get it down, but not to 2.5K.

Debating if I should just eat the DQ, or just hack out one of the parallel stories and see if the other stands on its own feet...

Cyan

Banned
Hangout in fifteen minutes! Here's the link (quote to see):

As always, the format will be ten minutes chat followed by thirty minutes writing, rinse and repeat for two hours.

Official start is at 2; I'll be on at the hour.

Mom's visiting so I won't make it :(

Awwwww. :(

Sethista

Damn, I really have no ideas this time around. What a stupid prompt...

Same here. I keep having the same concepts, like love, or treasure, or happiness out of reach, that kinda thing, but it seems so cliche and I cannot think on something new to do with these concepts, so I am out this week.

Mike M

Nick N
Tempus Obscura
Usual password. Going to just eat the DQ this round, but I would appreciate people reading it and providing feedback.

Alright, so for this one I took a slightly different approach than my “write a million drafts until I fucking win” usual strategy. My take on the secondary objective took me on a slightly different tact than usual, as I incorporated some things from a few sources:

• A while back Mike Works had a challenge that went on about goals. Since the rare occasions that Mike Works has joined us has produced work that made me want to throw my hands up in the air and quit writing for my feelings of inferiority, I thought that would be a good place to start.
  • The Journeyman Writer is a podcast that I listen to regularly. Not quuuuuite as useful to me as Writing Excuses, but more so than I Should Be Writing. Alistair Stephens never seems to miss an opportunity to hammer home the point that every scene needs to be driven by conflict, and that “dialogue is action” that should be in service of resolving a goal.
  • Cyan outlines his short stories, which is a process that has always seemed weird to me since I’m usually pretty good at keeping everything in my head, but last I checked his win record eked out mine by a bit, so I figure he must be doing something right that I’m not.
So this was the end result (Read the story first). I actually outlined the whole story, ascribed some goals to the characters, and with that in mind went through and diagramed what the conflict was in each scene and how it was resolved. Did it work? Well, I usually have a pretty easy time keeping to the limit (maybe even a hard time reaching it lately), but this is the first time I have blown past the word count so bad. There was just so much there to write. Not sure if it’s worth DQ’ing myself, but I will go on record saying that doing this probably did equip me with a much better understanding of the characters involved, which allowed me to impart more depth to their characterizations, give a better overarching conflict, and play up some themes that probably would have otherwise not been fully explored. Now whether or not the additional benefit gained was worth the extra work in hammering all that out before I even typed the first word of the story itself, I don’t know. But given that I’ve been self-conscious of late as to whether or not my entries possess enough conflict to be a fully realized story and not just a character study or vignette, it’s definitely food for thought for me.

It was definitely harder to revise, being twice as long as usual and me getting half as much time due to work-related stuff.

Tangent

Cyan is not the only one in his family with incredible writing talent and skill. Here is an entry by his sister, Chartreuse!!! She doesn't have an account so I'm posting for her. This is her first draft
(wow!)
and she may not get a chance to edit so I'm just posting what she has.

Untitled (391 words)

Neeener

Neo Member
There are worryingly few entries so far...
I'll have mine in but I hope it's more than just a handful, haha.

All I can say is ... Thank god the grace period is back.
A migraine ruined my writing plans yesterday so I'll be probably finishing at the last possible moment!
Let's just hope some of my favourite writers are procrastinators!

Nezumi

I have nothing, nothing, and a little more of nothing. I had two vague ideas which I dismissed because without even writing the outline I now that they will be around 5000-6000 words :/
Dammit, I managed to submit stories while traveling and on my phone. I will not have my New Years Resolution fail, because of a topic that I fucking chose myself!!!

*starts pacing up and down, trying to come up with something*

Edit: And this inner voice that keeps telling me to screw this challenge and play Xenoblade X instead, is not helping at all...

Neeener

Neo Member
I have nothing, nothing, and a little more of nothing. I had two vague ideas which I dismissed because without even writing the outline I now that they will be around 5000-6000 words :/
Dammit, I managed to submit stories while traveling and on my phone. I will not have my New Years Resolution fail, because of a topic that I fucking chose myself!!!

*starts pacing up and down, trying to come up with something*

Edit: And this inner voice that keeps telling me to screw this challenge and play Xenoblade X instead, is not helping at all...

We have faith in you nezumi!! You can rework that comment and title it "the unobtainable story idea"

Nezumi

We have faith in you nezumi!! You can rework that comment and title it "the unobtainable story idea"

I'm not gonna lie, I already considered this, but the pacing helped and I came up with an idea that should be doable in less than five hours...

Neeener

Neo Member
Mater Dolorosa

2497 words (thanks Nezumi!)

All my favorite authors write Dystopian or Urban fantasy, so I decided to have a go at world building. I wish I'd given myself more time to polish and not written it in the last 6 hours... but I had a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom