• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

OnPoint

22316_front.jpg

Does another know about these?

Were these a series?

I don't remember every seeing these, so i guess late life, right?

I think they were grey cart re-releases no?

No idea., but it says Classic Series on top, so were these like the first Player's Choice types?

That's correct. There were four first-party games re-released with slightly different physical looks late in the NES life cycle. Zelda 1 and 2 had gray carts but otherwise identical packaging. Metroid got an all-new box art and label. And I can't recall the last one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember they sold those NES re-releases in a catalog that came with Nintendo Power.

Mercutio

That's correct. There were four first-party games re-released with slightly different physical looks late in the NES life cycle. Zelda 1 and 2 had gray carts but otherwise identical packaging. Metroid got an all-new box art and label. And I can't recall the last one.

Was Zelda identical? I don't think the re-release had the cutout to see the gold cart inside. I think it's a solid box.

Teknoman

Looks like the GG video on Metal Strom was posted in July 2014. Kind of amazing that these videos have to much of an effect.

Maybe Racketboy or someone needs to publish an article on the "most overvalued" games or something. Fairly common carts should not cost $100+. It's just idiotic.

EDIT: Or, honestly, we could do it ourselves. We can use the collective brain power of the whole of Retro-GAF to figure out the most over-valued titles and write a great OP on it. It could get picked up by Kotaku or one of the retro video bloggers. Seriously, it might have an effect. Stranger things have happened. If nothing else, we can keep GAFers in the know on which games they will be taking a chance on if they pay current BIN/PC prices.

Would be nice if we could come up with a consensus.

You know what I've been looking over for awhile? Operation Logic Bomb. Was cheap and then now its boosted up for some reason.

Dishwalla

Banned

Punchout was the other one, the re release of the game without Mike Tyson in it.

22191_front.jpg

Was Zelda identical? I don't think the re-release had the cutout to see the gold cart inside. I think it's a solid box.

You know, I think you're right. There were some minor updates. Metroid was the only one to get truly made over, though.

Would be nice if we could come up with a consensus.

You know what I've been looking over for awhile? Operation Logic Bomb. Was cheap and then now its boosted up for some reason.

I'd really love to work on this. I've written for Racketboy before and I'm thinking about pitching him a couple of story ideas. This would be one. If nothing else, we can just post the info in this thread or start a new one if the mods feel like we have good info. If you all are willing to help brain storm, I can write it.

Here's one that baffles me: Chubby Cherub. Not all that rare, crude early life cycle graphics, considered terrible by most people, ugly box art, no connection to other better known developers or series ... and it goes for $45.

D.Lo

I'd really love to work on this. I've written for Racketboy before and I'm thinking about pitching him a couple of story ideas. This would be one. If nothing else, we can just post the info in this thread or start a new one if the mods feel like we have good info. If you all are willing to help brain storm, I can write it.

Here's one that baffles me: Chubby Cherub. Not all that rare, crude early life cycle graphics, considered terrible by most people, ugly box art, no connection to other better known developers or series ... and it goes for $45.
Each game is its own little separate market. There can't be substitution if that's the one you want. And not too many of these things are out there for sale.

So all you need is a tiny number of people (20?) at any time who want something for whatever reason (Dad got it for them for Christmas in 1990 etc) for demand to exceed supply and prices to rise.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You know, I think you're right. There were some minor updates. Metroid was the only one to get truly made over, though.

Chubby Cherub is a funny one for me... back when I was really young I really really wanted that game after seeing it mentioned in the Official Nintendo Player's Guide. My parents were getting me a game after returning Christmas gifts, and it was between that or Zelda 2 - both victims of the infamous "cartridge shortages" at the time (geez... Nintendo limiting supplies on things... the more things change, right? :p). But when we went to Caldor, (a defunct discount store) we found a copy of Zelda 2. I still have yet to play Chubby Cherub.

Anyways, played some NES last night at my friend's house (along with his new stand-up Neo Geo cab with a multi-cart)... We played Rockin Kats, which isn't really that great... it feels like a game from 1987 or something, hard to believe it came out in '91. Simplistic graphics and some strange controls and awkward level design. The sewer music is cool and sounds like something you'd hear in a Megaten dungeon rather than a sidescroller... in fact after my friends were shocked at seeing the Atlus logo I joked with them... "Imagine going back to 1991 and telling yourself while playing this game that Atlus would become the best RPG company, even better than a combined Squaresoft and Enix?"

And also I played through, and completed Rescue Rangers 2. Not as good as the first game but still really good. Seemed to be a bit shorter than the first, and a tad easier. The boss fights are pretty damn fun and challenging, requiring some (not too difficult) pattern mastery. I also like how you can increase your life meter by collecting the RR blocks scattered throughout the levels. Next up on my dream list is DuckTales 2.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm still not used to that alternate Metroid cover. It's like I'm looking at a bootleg everytime I see it.

Sakujou

Banned
Punchout was the other one, the re release of the game without Mike Tyson in it.

22191_front.jpg

wasnt there this racial issue back then?

they cut out black characters out of front covers n stuff...

the same about ghostbusters where only the three white dudes were shown on the cover....

was this a thing from nintendo or the general opinion?

I have an RGB toploader and i have about 200 carts ( was going for complete set, gave up and just buying games im interested in now)

but I recently got my sister's old Wii system she didn't want anymore and set it up with some emulators, including an NES emulator. I figured i would hook it up via component to my CRT and play some of the higher priced games i'll likely never buy.

I've always been very anti-emulation but playing NES games on Wii over component looks really good, and I was honestly not seeing any difference from the real hardware when playing stuff like River City Ransom or Kirby's Adventure.

I still will use my RGB Nes for games i own but I think if you're not looking to spend a small fortune on carts using a Wii with homebrew channel on CRT is a pretty legitimate option.

What it actually means is i will probably skip getting an everdrive for NES because I can just play hacks or ultra rarities on the Wii.

TheMoon

Did Samus even have the Varia suit before Metroid 2?

The suit, yes. The design used for that artwork, no. That was Metroid II's big contribution to the series. The Varia Suit with the iconic shoulders, necessitated by the monochrome GB's lack of color. The round shoulders exist because that's how they had to represent the suit upgrade visually on the GB.

Chubby Cherub is a funny one for me... back when I was really young I really really wanted that game after seeing it mentioned in the Official Nintendo Player's Guide. My parents were getting me a game after returning Christmas gifts, and it was between that or Zelda 2 - both victims of the infamous "cartridge shortages" at the time (geez... Nintendo limiting supplies on things... the more things change, right? :p). But when we went to Caldor, (a defunct discount store) we found a copy of Zelda 2. I still have yet to play Chubby Cherub.

Anyways, played some NES last night at my friend's house (along with his new stand-up Neo Geo cab with a multi-cart)... We played Rockin Kats, which isn't really that great... it feels like a game from 1987 or something, hard to believe it came out in '91. Simplistic graphics and some strange controls and awkward level design. The sewer music is cool and sounds like something you'd hear in a Megaten dungeon rather than a sidescroller... in fact after my friends were shocked at seeing the Atlus logo I joked with them... "Imagine going back to 1991 and telling yourself while playing this game that Atlus would become the best RPG company, even better than a combined Squaresoft and Enix?"

And also I played through, and completed Rescue Rangers 2. Not as good as the first game but still really good. Seemed to be a bit shorter than the first, and a tad easier. The boss fights are pretty damn fun and challenging, requiring some (not too difficult) pattern mastery. I also like how you can increase your life meter by collecting the RR blocks scattered throughout the levels. Next up on my dream list is DuckTales 2.

Well, you lucked out getting Zelda 2 over Chubby Cherub, that's for sure.

Thanks for the feedback on Rockin' Kats. It's on my list but lower priority because the quality/cost ratio sees a little out of wack. Definitely the Atlus effect on that one.

And given what you and El Topo have said about RR2, I think I can forget about ponying up for that one, too. But I really think the original RR and Duck Tales are must-buys right now. They're higher but not crazy high, and I bet the coattail effect from the high-priced sequels will pull them up over time.

ElTopo

Banned
I liked Overdrive. I didn't think it was a masterpiece but it was a pretty good Metroidvania. It flopped because Sunsoft did no real announcement that they were working on it and just launched it on WiiWare as a "surprise" and it backfired.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I seem to remember Victor Ireland being involved in that would-be revival of Sunset 5 years ago... but the way things were spoken about, the company had been long "dead" by then anyway.

Blaster Master Overdrive wasn't the death of Sunsoft. It was the failed resurrection.

What's a good price for Contra? It's one of those games I've never played as a kid but I hear it sung praises today I imagine it'll be expensive because of that.

OnPoint

I liked Overdrive. I didn't think it was a masterpiece but it was a pretty good Metroidvania. It flopped because Sunsoft did no real announcement that they were working on it and just launched it on WiiWare as a "surprise" and it backfired.

Out of curiosity, how far into it did you play?

I feel like Monster Tale on the DS was a 'pretty good' Metroidvania. It's leagues beyond where Overdrive was -- believe me, I wanted to like Overdrive. It was just lacking in creative design. The side-scrolling car stuff was pretty serviceable. Not the best, but decent. It was the overhead dungeon sections that killed the game. A horrible control scheme and boring, unfun, repetitive level design made it a slog.

Mzo

What's a good price for Contra? It's one of those games I've never played as a kid but I hear it sung praises today I imagine it'll be expensive because of that.

Cart only I'd say $20 to $30. There are a million billion of them out there so keep an eye out for a deal.

ElTopo

Banned
Out of curiosity, how far into it did you play?

I feel like Monster Tale on the DS was a 'pretty good' Metroidvania. It's leagues beyond where Overdrive was -- believe me, I wanted to like Overdrive. It was just lacking in creative design. The side-scrolling car stuff was pretty serviceable. Not the best, but decent. It was the overhead dungeon sections that killed the game. A horrible control scheme and boring, unfun, repetitive level design made it a slog.

I beat it. I did get stumped at one part after I got the grappling hook and hover ability and took me about 20 minutes until I realized there was a part of the map where I had to use both abilities to reach a ledge.

I'm not terribly versed in Metroidvania but I love Metroid Zero Mission and I liked Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow enough (I still prefer the linear Castlevania titles). I also loved Herocore: http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

Teknoman

I am not completely clear. You can buy his manga at his site which includes the soundtrack CD. I tried digging around the japanese sections with Google translate to see if the cart is available at all but did not find much.

The Kira-Kira Star Night manga and soundtrack CD includes the ROM on the CD. I know, because I have it.

A cartridge version is not available, though I've been thinking about making one just for myself. I'd need the equipment to do so, however...

Khaz

The Kira-Kira Star Night manga and soundtrack CD includes the ROM on the CD. I know, because I have it.

A cartridge version is not available, though I've been thinking about making one just for myself. I'd need the equipment to do so, however...

At least two carts have been produced, one with a white shell as in the video, and another with a black shell for their promotional event.

031.png

http://kirakira-star-night.riki2riki.com/en/
(Includes the "Kira Kira Star Night: Perfect Book," and a CD containing the game/soundtrack.)

Tain

Was super pumped to get my AV Famicom today!

1XJLjG2.jpg

... Fuck!

Ordered this through Amazon, hopefully it won't be too much trouble to get it sorted. The box seems fine, so I'd be surprised if it was damaged in shipping.

No AC adapter either. Or is that normal?

Mercutio

Was super pumped to get my AV Famicom today!

1XJLjG2.jpg

... Fuck!

Ordered this through Amazon, hopefully it won't be too much trouble to get it sorted. The box seems fine, so I'd be surprised if it was damaged in shipping.

No AC adapter either. Or is that normal?

You should have gotten an AC Adapter and two controllers.

Also that is the saddest picture I've ever seen. I'm waiting on my AV Famicom to come home today from Baphomet, where it has been RGB'd. I had a horrible nightmare last night about getting the box and having the system inside shattered by the cruelty of the USPS. So, frankly, a case could be made there that I am having dreams that predict your future.

You should have gotten an AC Adapter and two controllers.

Also that is the saddest picture I've ever seen. I'm waiting on my AV Famicom to come home today from Baphomet, where it has been RGB'd. I had a horrible nightmare last night about getting the box and having the system inside shattered by the cruelty of the USPS. So, frankly, a case could be made there that I am having dreams that predict your future.

If I was a console modder I would store a bunch of broken and busted systems and randomly send them out to people a day or two before sending their real system and just not respond to emails at first.
I'm a bad person.

Top Bottom