• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've got some carts to sell and I'm trying to decide between selling them here or going for the cash-in on eBay. All of the games are common but nearly all are in excellent shape and would be perfect for anyone starting their collection now. I get the feeling most in this thread already have these games but if there's anyone lurking who wants to start a collection, chime in let me know.

Hit up the B/S/T thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002170

^^^ Yeah I will definitely utilize the BST thread because I don't want to skirt any forum rules but I figured I'd mention it here first because this is the most dedicated audience. I'll get my list together in the next couple of days and link my BST post here.

Mzo

They're a little bit smaller but I really like 199963wands as a seller. They usually have pretty good BIN prices, ship quickly, and they have a good enough selection that you can often find a couple items you want that you can combine shipping on. They even usually include a random trading card as a bonus. I always thought that was kind cool.

Wands is great. His prices are all BIN but they are extremely reasonable and are often the lowest on eBay at any given time. I've been buying from him for a couple of years now but I didn't want to blow up his spot because of resellers. That's just how I've been conditioned to think these days, unfortunately.

IIRC hit-japan is high but you're supposed to get the price down through the "Make Offer" option.

Dude wants over a hundred for a $40-$50 dollar game, which is still overpriced at that price point. I offered $50 and he countered with $98 and a snarky message. There's nothing there for me.

edit: forgot to mention mandatory $12 shipping cherry on top, what a scumbag

OnPoint

^^^ Yeah I will definitely utilize the BST thread because I don't want to skirt any forum rules but I figured I'd mention it here first because this is the most dedicated audience. I'll get my list together in the next couple of days and link my BST post here.

I don't see the harm of posting a list in here as well, honestly. Or heck, just PM it to me haha

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just finished Rollergames again yesterday for a review thing. Goddamn tough game. But a total gem.

I'm not from the US so never saw the show, I just thought it was an original premise when I first got it in the early 90s! Rollerblades had just taken off and I assumed it was a cash-in from that.

I've never played the NES game but I'm a big fan of the pinball... a friend of mine has it - "Rock-rock... rockin' Rollergames!". Gets in your head...

So anyways, I bought a holy grail NES game of mine thanks to my tax return... spent quite a pretty penny on it. And what do you know, the next day my washing machine busted and I had to get a new one :p But anyways... once it arrives I will share pics. Pretty excited about it!

So anyways, I bought a holy grail NES game of mine thanks to my tax return... spent quite a pretty penny on it. And what do you know, the next day my washing machine busted and I had to get a new one :p But anyways... once it arrives I will share pics. Pretty excited about it!

Cool. I'm looking forward to hearing about this. I think part of the fun of collecting is community, and the personal stories that go along with why people do it and the memories they have of certain games, etc.

I've decided to create a Twitter account just to talk about gaming and I'm considering a blog or Tumblr too. I've been on Twitter for years but I am a communication professional and I really need to start using Twitter for more work- and community-related stuff. So I'm breaking out a feed where I can talk freely about gaming and, right now anyway, collecting.

Huggers

I've got some carts to sell and I'm trying to decide between selling them here or going for the cash-in on eBay. All of the games are common but nearly all are in excellent shape and would be perfect for anyone starting their collection now. I get the feeling most in this thread already have these games but if there's anyone lurking who wants to start a collection, chime in let me know.

DM me a list by all means. Might well be interested in some

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Oh GAF, what have I done?

g5Cl8Xt.jpg

MvHxEXP.jpg

Peltz

I've never played the NES game but I'm a big fan of the pinball... a friend of mine has it - "Rock-rock... rockin' Rollergames!". Gets in your head...

Can't wait to see your new washing machine!

:p

ElTopo

Banned
I think Megaman 4 is the best of the classic series. I like the Charge Shot and Slide and how they change up the gameplay. Also, I think 4 has just the right level of difficulty aside from a couple of really bitchy jumps which is a tradition of the classic series.

After 4, I'd go with 3 and then 6. 6 is by the far the easiest one and has a couple of terribly easy bosses but I like the changes to the gameplay the most. I think 2 is overrated. The best thing about 2 is the Metal Blade weapon and the soundtrack.

ElTopo

Banned
Shatterhand is my all time favorite NES game. It's #1 for me on the system. Just an action platformer masterpiece.

Derek Alexander (Happy Video Game Nerd) is working on a review of it. Better get those carts for cheap while you can.

graffix13

After about 25 years, I finally beat Castlevania last night. When I was a kid I always stopped playing once the Grim Reaper whipped my ass hundreds of times (when I even got to him).

Finally beat him last night. Had to make sure I had holy water and triple shot so I could stun lock him. Felt cheap but I really didn't give a shit. Glad to see him burn.

Dracula gave me some issues too but once you get his pattern down he's not too bad.

Shatterhand is my all time favorite NES game. It's #1 for me on the system. Just an action platformer masterpiece.

Derek Alexander (Happy Video Game Nerd) is working on a review of it. Better get those carts for cheap while you can.
Oh, good to know. I am actually watching a few copies right now...

Dishwalla

Banned

I got my CIB.

Thank goodness I have that and Solbrain already.

ElTopo

Banned
After about 25 years, I finally beat Castlevania last night. When I was a kid I always stopped playing once the Grim Reaper whipped my ass hundreds of times (when I even got to him).

Finally beat him last night. Had to make sure I had holy water and triple shot so I could stun lock him. Felt cheap but I really didn't give a shit. Glad to see him burn.

Dracula gave me some issues too but once you get his pattern down he's not too bad.

Good job. I don't feel bad about cheesing the Grim Reaper either, it's not like you're using Game Genie or an emulator exploit. It's a legit strategy. I could never beat the Castlevania trilogy back in the day but once I understood how they're played (patiently) I kinda' mastered them now.

1 and 3 are still godlike to this day.

RIP Konami.

Huggers

Once you have your Grim Reaper technique down Castlevania is pretty straightforward. I've never used holy water on him though. I always throw crosses at him. 1-3 are both stunning games. As for Shatterhand. Amazing game. Currently working on collecting up all the best action platformers

OnPoint

Once you have your Grim Reaper technique down Castlevania is pretty straightforward. I've never used holy water on him though. I always throw crosses at him. 1-3 are both stunning games. As for Shatterhand. Amazing game. Currently working on collecting up all the best action platformers

I never used to either but the fight always feels so far out of my control that I just don't care anymore.

I'm working on this too. Besides the great ones like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Shatterhand (never played it)...what other great ones are there?

Powerblade any good?

Shadow of the Ninja is cool. I dunno if it's the same internal team or not but it's another Natsume joint ala Shatterhand.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat Shatterhand for the 2nd time this week. Shatterhand is one of those games that I beat yearly. This time I didn't use the best bot (the Beta, Beta, Beta Grenade Chucking bot) and used whatever. Only died twice. If I use the Grenade bot I can do a no-death run.

Still a fucking legendary game.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm working on this too. Besides the great ones like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Shatterhand (never played it)...what other great ones are there?

Powerblade any good?

Both Powerblade games are good. The 2nd is a little lesser when compared to the original, but definitely should be checked out.

I've been really enjoying playing the NES/Famicom games that I'd never managed to finish back in the day, and I've always wanted to play through Punch Out so I picked this up for my Famicom collection:

I've only played bit of the series in the past but loved it, I fully expect it to take me a while before I get close to beating Mike Tyson, but I do love a good challenge!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Salamander cart is seriously good looking. They all are. Much more pleasant than those drab NES cats haha.

lol agreed! Famicom carts came in all kinds of interesting shapes and colors compared to the NES. Every day I seem to find a new interesting cover art, cartridge design or cartridge color that I want, haha

-KRS-

It's always been a bit more expensive than other NES games from what I can remember, being a late title and all. But yeah that video didn't help. And now the whole collecting-craze is probably also a factor driving the price up.

Top Bottom