• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

Badgerst3

Kotaku review was really well done.

I had preordered the game already but their review makes me feel like I am about to play something epic and deeply engaging.

dlauv

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Got tired of all the filler content in DA:I, story was somewhat mediocre, characters only mildly interesting, world filled with repetitive and bland quest content, gear system lacking meaningful punch - especially as rewards for longer/difficult quest lines.. a decent 30 hour game bloated to an 80 hour game with meh.

Sounds like the only filler is contained within the main quest, and that the many many sidequests are worth undertaking.

-Snooze-

Banned
Do we have any information of the Xbone performance ? I'd prefer to get it on xbox but if the framerate is worse I'll stick to playstation or even PC

Derp

Same Metacritic score as Bloodborne (92). It seems they're destined to battle each other for the GOTY title. Although obviously we need to wait and see how Arkham Knight, MGSV and Battlefront do.

I'm an old fart now and unless it becomes obvious in the first couple of hours that I'm playing something I'm going to want to commit to for a few weeks, I usually play everything on default difficulty the first time through - unless it gets painfully and unsatisfyingly easy. Once I know what I'm doing and if I like the game enough to play it twice, I'll ramp the difficulty up to grown-up pants level.

Great reviews! This game is about to be HUGE!! As a reader of the books, I'm eager to find out how well they are implemented in the game. I'm not worried about the scenario.

kaskade

Big games like this kind of intimidate me but I'm ready for it. It would be crazy of me to miss out on something like this. My gaming time has gone down a bit so I tend to like to buy games that I can really get time out of and this is perfect.

Also, I want to see real time hair/beard growth.

Moosehole

I'm super excited for this game and I can't wait to play, but guys stop saying "the framerate is being patched".

Don't take any developer by thier word on what they are "going to do". It isn't fixed until it's fixed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Got tired of all the filler content in DA:I, story was somewhat mediocre, characters only mildly interesting, world filled with repetitive and bland quest content, gear system lacking meaningful punch - especially as rewards for longer/difficult quest lines.. a decent 30 hour game bloated to an 80 hour game with meh.

DA:I was a notable improvement over DA2 in my book, but the bolded is probably the best way of describing it.

Plus you couldn't romance Vivienne, I mean c'mon

MacBosse

I'm super excited for this game and I can't wait to play, but guys stop saying "the framerate is being patched".

Don't take any developer by thier word on what they are "going to do". It isn't fixed until it's fixed.

Yeah this bugs me too. Some people here already report the framerate problems as fixed just because a developer said in a tweet that it is "improved". It is a big difference between "fixed" and "improved", not to mention that we haven't seen the effects of the patch yet.

Denton

Regarding the save import, if you import saves the sequence in which you would choose what you did is simply skipped:

Marcin Momot ‏@Marcin360
@Paul_cze @SotaSotka No, the sequence is simply being skipped and the choices will come into play when the time is right during the game.

Which means I will play without saves first to see the sequence and then replay with import. I don't want to miss anything dammit.

Red Hood

Banned
So, a friend of mine bought a new GTX 970 but he hates medieval games, let alone RPGs. He offered the download voucher to me for a measly €18, but I'm conflicted. On the one hand I'm kinda short on funds and I'd jump on this instantly, but on the other hand I can't help but feel like ripping devs off. But still, big difference between €50 and €18, no?

Leb

Regarding the save import, if you import saves the sequence in which you would choose what you did is simply skipped:

Marcin Momot ‏@Marcin360
@Paul_cze @SotaSotka No, the sequence is simply being skipped and the choices will come into play when the time is right during the game.

Which means I will play without saves first to see the sequence and then replay with import. I don't want to miss anything dammit.

Is there any footage of precisely which questions are asked during the "no import" sequence? The only screengrab I've come across so far concerns the fate of Aryan, which seems like a curiously inconsequential point of inflection given the events on the ground.

Tovarisc

So, a friend of mine bought a new GTX 970 but he hates medieval games, let alone RPGs. He offered the download voucher to me for a measly €18, but I'm conflicted. On the one hand I'm kinda short on funds and I'd jump on this instantly, but on the other hand I can't help but feel like ripping devs off. But still, big difference between €50 and €18, no?

Devs have gotten X euros per copy from Nvidia when Nvidia purchased keys in bulk. You are just wondering if to pay €18 to friend or not ;)

ironcreed

Banned
I keep hearkening back to how excited I was for Oblivion leading up to getting an Xbox 360. That is about the level of excitement I have here. This looks like the 'next-gen has arrived' open world RPG that I have been waiting for.

ISee

You want it, then get it. I do not see any problems here. Buying a NVIDIA promo code is as damaging to the devs as buying a used copy. And buying used copy is a commun practice.

Tovarisc

It will be difficult for The Witcher 3 to stay on 92 when it reaches a higher number of reviews. The game looks stunning, but kind of intimidating for someone who hasn't played the series before.

Several reviews have mentioned that TW3 is very welcoming and easy to get into for those with no previous experience with franchise. In gameplay, world explaining and story.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

You should buy it from GMG instead. ;)

Marcin Momot ‏@Marcin360

I was hoping the sequence would just play based on the choices from te save file but if it's skipped entirely I might do the same.

boskee

It will be difficult for The Witcher 3 to stay on 92 when it reaches a higher number of reviews. The game looks stunning, but kind of intimidating for someone who hasn't played the series before.

So far there are plenty 10/10 reviews that are missing from Metacritic.

ACE 1991

You can support the dev by buying the DLC down the road if you want.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Gaff I havent played the previous games. Should I go back and do that first?

I would say not to bother at this point. TW3 looks to be a big improvement over the previous games, and you would likely get Witcher fatigue trying to get through the first two.

There's nothing to feel bad about here as this is a perfectly legitimate transaction. Just buy the code from your friend. I mean, I got my code for buying a 970. Should I feel bad?

golem

Did any review mention the differences between the difficulty levels?

VanOrd also mentions that casting times of spells change in higher difficulties, he talks about difficulty a bit at the end of the last Gamespot Twitch show

Denton

Is there any footage of precisely which questions are asked during the "no import" sequence? The only screengrab I've come across so far concerns the fate of Aryan, which seems like a curiously inconsequential point of inflection given the events on the ground.

Not that I know of, I would like to see what stuff is involved too.
Oh well, 6 more days.

Tovarisc

Did any review mention the differences between the difficulty levels?

VanOrd, GameStop reviewer, said and I paraphrase little here; "Pick one difficulty higher than you usually would". So if you usually pick Normal here you should consider Hard. He said that on Hard you won't over level content so fast as higher difficulty settings give less XP per completed quest.

He also mentioned that casting signs (magic) changed little as he went from Normal to Hard. Instead of just tapping the cast button he had to hold it down for a second for sign to cast.

Devs have said that enemies will become more aggressive and gain more skills, attacks, at higher difficulty settings while quests give less XP and levels give less stats to Geralt. Putting greater emphasis on gear and combat preparation.

Edit: VanOrd pointed out that over leveling some quest doesn't mean it's pure faceroll or doesn't feel satisfying to do because of combat keeps it interesting.

erawsd

There are only a few of the big publication reviews that actually enjoyed the combat, I don't recall any of them praising it highly other than 'it's better than before'.

So just picking out the major english speaking ones on the list and doing a ctrl-f for combat....

gamespot said:
Excellence abounds at every turn in this open-world role-playing game: excellent exploration, excellent creature design, excellent combat mechanics, excellent character progression.

Gameinformer said:
Combat is much more responsive and action-packed compared to the stilted experience of past entries. This doesn't sacrifice any of the difficulty; outside of playing on story mode, a great deal of strategy is required in the tense battles. Exploiting enemy weaknesses with spells, crafting potions to give you an edge, blocking at the right time for counterattacks, and dodging in the nick of time are still of the utmost importance.

Gamesradar said:
Frustrating and punishing combat

IGN said:
...along with the excellent combat and RPG gameplay, they elevate The Witcher 3 to a plane few other RPGs inhabit.

Gametrailers said:
Combat can take a little time to gel, but it’s both challenging and rewarding, requiring you to adapt to each type of enemy you encounter.

Dtoid said:
For all of the streamlined changes though, I actually enjoy this take on combat the most. Your magic abilities run the gamut of everything you'd need, from traps to projectiles to a defensive shield, and the dodge mechanic works better than it ever has, which makes battles feel more action-oriented and less like an outdated pen-and-paper scheme. When you add in the ability to parry and counter, combat gets even more interesting.

Kotaku said:
Wild Hunt’s combat is a significant improvement over The Witcher 2. It finally feels as though the PC-focused CD Projekt Red has warmed to controller-based combat, and the majority of the game’s controls sit happily beneath the player’s fingers... fun and flexible combat

Metro said:
Despite all this the combat in itself isn’t anything extraordinary, but it strikes just the right balance of complexity and accessibility given everything else that’s going on in the game.

Stuff said:
Good stuff: Fast, fluid and varied combat

Gamereactor said:
...beautiful character design and enjoyable combat. Basic combat is continually invigorating, tense.

I'd say thats more than a few that enjoyed it. In fact, there is only one opinion that is not like the others...

VanOrd, GameStop reviewer, said and I paraphrase little here; "Pick one difficulty higher than you usually would". So if you usually pick Normal here you should consider Hard. He said that on Hard you won't over level content so fast as higher difficulty settings give less XP per completed quest.

He also mentioned that casting signs (magic) changed little as he went from Normal to Hard. Instead of just tapping the cast button he had to hold it down for a second for sign to cast.

Devs have said that enemies will become more aggressive and gain more skills, attacks, at higher difficulty settings while quests give less XP and levels give less stats to Geralt. Putting greater emphasis on gear and combat preparation.

Edit: VanOrd pointed out that over leveling some quest doesn't mean it's pure faceroll or doesn't feel satisfying to do because of combat keeps it interesting.

This is exciting as hell to read. I'll definitely be playing hard. I feel that's how the game is intended. Previous games weren't punishing enough for the lack of potion usage. My gear allowed me to outscale the content.

I love the notion that every fight is a challenge, and requires preparation. It also makes good gear drops / acquisitions very satisfying.

Top Bottom