• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 Aims to Go Beyond Current RPGs, Says CDPR; It’ll Be a Good Entry Point for New Fans

Stafford

Was it just fans hoping it, or were there rumors about Ciri being the protagonist in Witcher 4? I might be misremembering, but I thought it was rumored. She's a great character in 3, if they go with her it's fine with me, but if it's someone else that's fine too. I trust CDPR with making great characters.

Stafford

It’ll Be a Good Entry Point for New Fans​

Spider-Man What GIF by Caleb Linden Design

Nah. I refuse to start fearing that CDPR might be pandering to the lunatics now as well. No idea what he means with new players, I mean these new players should play Witcher 2 and 3 and the remake of 1 and then they won't be new players anymore.

But I refuse to start thinking negative about Witcher 4 now when it comes to these things. Prove me right CDPR, please. Your games are fantastic as they are.

Flabagast

GOAT devs,

Will be there day one and do many replays along with the 3 year post launch patches, like with their every work

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Well, I'm quite certain they will include Geralt in it. At this point it's basically a tradition as even Thronebreaker game had Geralt's cameo.
It made sense in that particular case since it was depicting a scene from the books.

I'm leaning towards this new saga being a prequel of sorts. There aren't a whole lot of witchers (or that much need for them) left in the world by the point in time where the novels end and the games pick up, so I'm not sure it makes too much sense to focus on a brand new school in that context.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Seeya in 2030
This is why indie games will continue to grow and thrive. AAA games now take 5-10 years+ to make and 100-200+ million of dollars to make. Not sustainable. Too hard to also keep a series connected when there are that many years between games (also different lead designers and writers) and because of all of this, publishers won't want to take a gamble on new IP's

Flabagast

This is why indie games will continue to grow and thrive. AAA games now take 5-10 years+ to make and 100-200+ million of dollars to make. Not sustainable. Too hard to also keep a series connected when there are that many years between games (also different lead designers and writers) and because of all of this, publishers won't want to take a gamble on new IP's
CDPR announced working on the development of a new IP though (although it will most probably be in a lot of years)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m torn because I love The Witcher universe and want a new Witcher game, but I also want them to expand on the Cyberpunk world and start working on another Cyberpunk game. I thought it was a great game once fixed and there’s so much to explore in that universe.

It’ll be hard to top The Witcher 3’s world it was so gorgeous and varied and amazing. Never got tired of exploring it.

If I could fix one thing it would be more unique and cool equipment to find in the world. If Witcher 3 lacked anything it was that.

Stafford

Someone mentioned it here but a story revolving around how Geralt came to be Witcher would be awesome. But it probably won't be that.

I couldn't get over how bad the combat was in W3. REALLY tried but just gave up after a while. I could tell the world was awesome and the questing was fun, but the combat was just THAT bad. I hope they can improve on this for w4.

Mossybrew

I'm going to try to not even really think about this game, I'm just glad it's cooking and I'll be ready in a couple years. I still have faith in CD Projekt and I think they learned some valuable lessons from Cyberpunk.

Senua

I couldn't get over how bad the combat was in W3. REALLY tried but just gave up after a while. I could tell the world was awesome and the questing was fun, but the combat was just THAT bad. I hope they can improve on this for w4.
Lol you should try the first game, you'd love the combat

Metnut

Anything CDRP makes I’ll buy. Great games and great expansions.

Would be great to see this at some point in 2025 but have a feeling we’re looking at 2026.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That would be interesting - but the games have always been narrative and lore heavy, elements which they'd want to restrict to only school I think, who knows though.
I mean I could see them just copypasting what they did with Cyberpunk and you choose a "origin story" but the overarching core narrative is the same. At the same time that introduces a glaring contradiction in player freedom if the narrative has no diverging paths or impactful choices.

Phase

This game won't be out until 2027 at the earliest. Let them cook, it's way too early to talk about it.
Basically with all of the big games I have to forget about them for years. That's no way to keep momentum for an IP.

Gears 6
Division 3
Elder Scrolls 6
Mass Effect 4
Witcher 4
new Castlevania
Tomb Raider
Bioshock 4
Crysis 4

Alebrije

Well, they have to surpass Baldurds Gate 3, ZeldaTOTK. At least in terms of story ,gameplay, innovation.

Won't be easy.

Mozzarella

1) I would've loved it more if they went with VTMB but ok
2) For Witcher 4 i wish they ditch the open world and adapt Baldur's Gate/ new God of War style of world design.
3) Better gameplay will be there for sure, however i hope they learned the right lessons and not just a polished combat system, because thats not gonna be enough to carry the game.
4) Unreal engine is very sus, i dont know but sometimes it feels technically and creatively not satisfying.
5) Hope they ditch the "tiers" and diablo style of loot, it works in Cyberpunk but in Witcher i found it bad, one of the few things i disliked in the game.

Flabagast

Well, they have to surpass Baldurds Gate 3, ZeldaTOTK. At least in terms of story ,gameplay, innovation.

Won't be easy.
In terms of story and characters Witcher 3 is way better than both I would say (specially Zelda lol) even if you have less choices and consequences (but a lot of choices and consequences does not necessarly mean a good story).

For the rest I agree with you

Dazraell

It made sense in that particular case since it was depicting a scene from the books.

I'm leaning towards this new saga being a prequel of sorts. There aren't a whole lot of witchers (or that much need for them) left in the world by the point in time where the novels end and the games pick up, so I'm not sure it makes too much sense to focus on a brand new school in that context.

It does, but it doesn't really warrant Geralt to be on the cover as his appearance was really small. It was quite obvious CDPR wanted to showcase his appearance to boost the interest. That's why I feel why they may do similar cameo in the next saga

As for witchers presence, it's generally interesting case as we only seen it from the perspective of primarily Wolf and Viper schools which had "last of its kind" examples. But they may include other schools in the different regions of this world where their situation is very different. That's one of the big things about The Witcher lore, a lot of things weren't really specified and can go in multiple directions based on how creators will want it

I think there will always be a need for the witcher, whenever people like it or not as monsters will never fully go away. But I guess if they would want to set it post Witcher 3 the fate of Ciri would probably need to be different based on how the game has ended, even if she wouldn't appear

Last edited:
I wish games like this weren’t announced so early. Where they’re basically announced before they’ve even started making them. But it’s the world we live in I guess, where every nugget about this game will be considered news no matter how insignificant.

I think in a series that’s sold as well as Witcher 3, the audience for the game is huge, and every installment should be built in a way that you can play it and get into it without having needed to sink 100 hours into Witcher 3. Witcher 3 didn’t require you to know anything about the first two, so I don’t see this as being any different to how they’ve ever done their games.

Mortisfacio

Same, I'll always support CDPR. Controversies aside, they put out GOAT tier content.

Same. Witcher 1 was good for what it is, but it's rough going back to it. Could tell it was a game made by a team that had great ideas, but not really sure how to execute. They've just built experience around that and I love it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

It’ll Be a Good Entry Point for New Fans​

Spider-Man What GIF by Caleb Linden Design

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

It will be CDPR most expensive game ever. It's also going to be released 12 years after The Witcher 3. Would you really expect them to not remove the friction points for players new to the series?

A.Romero

I don't see where the woke comments are given that CDPR was under pressure with both Witcher 3 for the lack of racial diversity and with Cyberpunk regarding trans issues and still didn't change a thing.

Still, not that I care personally. If the game is good I don't care what their preferences are.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
"We also got Sweet Baby Inc to help structure the narrative and add much needed diversity to the character lineup."

No character creation please. Makes sense for Cyberpunk but not the Witcher.

You can bet there will be one. They won't make another male lead because of the woke mob and going with a female lead would generate backlash from the other side so "make your own character" would solve the problem in CDPR`s eyes.

Top Bottom