• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 may continue Geralt's Story

Draugoth

Gold Member
geralt-of-rivia-witcher-4-scaled.jpg

In a recent interview, The Witcher 4’s game director, Sebastian Kalemb, dropped a hint that suggests Geralt of Rivia will return to the series, but whether he’ll be the title’s main character is yet to be seen.

It was also explained that the ambitious title is being designed in a way that welcomes new players to the series but also pleases veteran fans of the franchise.

The Witcher 4 won’t be out for some years, and it’ll be a long time since the previous one, so we cannot just target the audience already fond of the saga. We must also build a new community. On that note, I believe I can say it’ll be an excellent entry point for many players, without forgetting the long-time fans who still wish to follow Geralt’s adventures.

It’s not yet known how Geralt fits into The Witcher 4 – we don’t even know who will be voicing the character (but we hope it’d be Doug Cockle).

Tsaki

Hopefully not. The game's story was choice based and that would make one of them canon, which defeats the purpose.

HL3.exe

Fuck me, what a boring choice. Geralt's story arc is done, there are plenty of other characters, perspectives or stories to explore in this fiction.

This just feels exploitative and cynical. The risk aversion in the AAAA industry is real and in effect, doomed to be fed the same popculture icons and tropes over and over.

Edit: it's a rumor, and doesn't explicitly mention Geralt being the main character, thanks for the clickbait OP

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fuck me, what a boring choice. Geralt's story arc is done, there are plenty of other characters, perspectives or stories to explore in this fiction.

This just feels exploitative and cynical. The risk aversion in the AAAA industry is real and in effect, doomed to be fed the same popculture icons and tropes over and over.

No Geralt? Do you want the devs to do this?

ec5da55d1dfaecd749950987c71021bc93c0cf9d506e5f392b172980299a89c7_1.jpg

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is not in any way confirmation of this, OP is reaching.

Bingo. Also just because Geralt's story is continuing, doesnt mean we actually play with him or as him. Of fucking course his story will continue either way, he is the image of The Witcher franchise lmao. If CDPR were smart, I'd do something like Dishonored 2 did, pick between Ciri and Geralt at the start, and then adapt the story based on your choice. I doubt they have the skills to pull that shit tho.

SABRE220

No Geralt? Do you want the devs to do this?

ec5da55d1dfaecd749950987c71021bc93c0cf9d506e5f392b172980299a89c7_1.jpg
Geralt is ofcourse my favourite character in the series but the guy legit had the perfect ending arc. I mean ciri is legit a great central character of the series, she is directly trained to be geralts succesor if necessary, has absolutely insane powers at full potential above geralts grade and is literally setup to be the new protaganist. I dont know why making her the new protaganist of witcher 4 would be a insult.

They can add geralt into the story at parts or make him a duoaganist.

Mowcno

He was alive and there are plenty of ways to do a bring someone out of retirement story.
Sure but feels like bringing him back for the sake of it. If you are going to use the same character forever then just don't do an ending like that in the first place. 🤷

Reminds me a lot of many American TV shows where they basically just keep going forever until they become unpopular rather than choose to end on a high with a satisfying and logical ending. I don't see any future game being a better send-off for Geralt than the Witcher 3 was.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
That's very surprising to me. The blood and wine ending felt like that was the end of geralts journey.
This is exactly what it makes even more painfully for him. He genuinely seemed happy at the end of blood and wine. All pieces in place.

mdkirby

Edit: it's a rumor, and doesn't explicitly mention Geralt being the main character, thanks for the clickbait OP
Can you blame them? Games is a particularly unstable and high risk industry, where AAA take at least 5 years to make and cost hundreds of millions. A single failure (or just disappointing sales) can kill a studio.

Addressing this is one hope of ai tools. If a studio can cut the dev time to 3 years and reduce the cost by 50% via ai use, then it will allow big studios to feel more comfortable with taking risks. Until that happens in a reliable way, we have to accept that in all but rare instances studios and publishers will opt for the most safe and risk free approach, in this case it’s using Geralt, he’s a character people know and love 🤷‍♂️

Tsaki

If they followed this line of thinking when making TW3 it would look very different
You can import decisions from TW2; they don't do much, but they are there. It also helps that Geralt and Ciri don't die in TW2, something that is very possible in the sequel. Nevermind other choices, like Empress/Witcher Ciri, Nilfgaard winning, the North winning, etc.

HL3.exe

Can you blame them? Games is a particularly unstable and high risk industry, where AAA take at least 5 years to make and cost hundreds of millions. A single failure (or just disappointing sales) can kill a studio.

Addressing this is one hope of ai tools. If a studio can cut the dev time to 3 years and reduce the cost by 50% via ai use, then it will allow big studios to feel more comfortable with taking risks. Until that happens in a reliable way, we have to accept that in all but rare instances studios and publishers will opt for the most safe and risk free approach, in this case it’s using Geralt, he’s a character people know and love 🤷‍♂️
True. Also, i'm not blaming them. I'm of the mindset: 'Appreciate when games come out as they are, or be glad they ship at all'. Nobody want to ship a bad or derivative title.

But it can be tiring reading and playing these safe bets over and over, while actual devs want to actually try and move forward, but this song and seems exceptionally hard these days. But i'm still hopeful for the future.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Sebastian Kalemb, dropped a hint that suggests Geralt of Rivia will return to the series, but whether he’ll be the title’s main character is yet to be seen.
Yup. Almost confirmed then that Ciri would be the Main protagonist.

Just like R* games said, multi-protagonist story telling is the future of Single player campaigns.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Even if his story continues, he will probably be a supporting character. It's also about another witcher school in Witcher 4. And we will most likely play Ciri.

SCB3

I mean hell yea he is THE Witcher, I do wonder though can Doug Cockle still do the voice now, he's had some health issues

Dazraell

geralt-of-rivia-witcher-4-scaled.jpg

In a recent interview, The Witcher 4’s game director, Sebastian Kalemb, dropped a hint that suggests Geralt of Rivia will return to the series, but whether he’ll be the title’s main character is yet to be seen.

It was also explained that the ambitious title is being designed in a way that welcomes new players to the series but also pleases veteran fans of the franchise.

It’s not yet known how Geralt fits into The Witcher 4 – we don’t even know who will be voicing the character (but we hope it’d be Doug Cockle).

CDPR confirmed to one of Polish websites that this quote was just translation error

The interview in question was originally in English and then translated into Italian, which may result in some inaccuracies. In the quoted statement, Sebastian Kalemba said that the new saga will be addressed both to new players, those who have not yet had the opportunity to play the previous installments, and to die-hard fans of Geralt's adventures, as the Witcher saga is commonly referred to

Last edited:

Hugare

Watch Geralt coming back only to be killed by a golf club, then replaced for a new protagonist

But seriously, they would be ruining Blood and Wine's ending

Witcher series is Geralt, to me, but I'm ok with going in with an open mind into Witcher 4 expecting a new protagonist.

Let Geralt rest. Dude had enough.

And please, dont being him back only to kill him

Dazraell

Watch Geralt coming back only to be killed by a golf club, then replaced for a new protagonist

But seriously, they would be ruining Blood and Wine's ending

Witcher series is Geralt, to me, but I'm ok with going in with an open mind into Witcher 4 expecting a new protagonist.

Let Geralt rest. Dude had enough.

And please, dont being him back only to kill him

This whole quote is mistranslated and led to wrong assumptions

There are rumors for quite a while that this new Witcher trilogy will be about a completely new witcher from the Lynx school. The only game with Geralt as a protagonist which was confirmed is The Witcher Remake

Laptop1991

Happy about this, although if it was another character like Ciri etc, i wouldn't have complained either, a new Witcher game is what matters.

Fabieter

That's dissappear to say at least. I wanted a new game with Ciri or with a custom character. Instantly hype decreased.

Top Bottom