• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Producers Promise a Lore Accurate Transition from Henry Cavill to Liam Hemsworth

Draugoth

Gold Member
henry-and-liam-header3.jpg

The third season of Netflix’s The Witcher starring Henry cavill, Anya Clalotra and Freya Allan is only three days away and as part of the press junket we are getting more and more interviews. This time executive producers Tomek Baginski and Steve Gaub gave their elaboration to Yahoo on how The Witcher intends to address the big white-haired elephant in the room.During the interview, Baginski spoke about how The Witcher is going to address the recasting of Geralt of Rivia when Season 4 is back on our screens, but it’s a different person we’re looking at.

We have a very, very good plan to introduce our new Geralt and our new vision for Geralt with Liam. Not going deeply into those ideas because this will be a huge spoiler, [but] it’s also very, very close to the meta ideas which are deeply embedded in the books, especially in book five.

Baginski continues:

It’s very lore accurate. It’s very close to what was set out in the books and I think this change will be quite flawless. But at the same time it will be a new Geralt, it will be a new face for this character and I think it will also be very, very exciting to see.

Bungie

So Season 4 will have a lot of jokes saying " I liked old you better". So it feels like they are relating to us.

The only question is do I watch the last real season with Cavill or not. I'm not watching season four under any circumstances. I refuse to support the type of decision that would remove a perfect casting choice and established lead role over smug, self-righteous, garbage tier writers.

ssringo

Why bother? People watched for Cavil since he was the only one that seemed to care and was the only thing good about the show. We know he's gone and the show is probably done after season 4 airs anyways.

RCU005

I’m going to be honest. Henry Cavill looked like shit as Geralt. The fake hair, and he has this “Abercrombie model” look that doesn’t fit the character. It was great for Superman, and I hope he gets cast as James Bond, but doesn’t look good in the Witcher.

He is a great actor and he loves the series and such, but it wasn’t a good cast anyway. The same can be said for many other characters. Yennefer and Ciri’s actresses are great and beautiful but have nothing to do there as those characters;

don’t even let me get started with Triss! WTF!! one thing is for sure: there is a LAW in Hollywood that every red hair character must be played by a black person. I don’t know why but it is BS! Every single one!

Gtafans93

Big book fan and honestly season 1 was a respecftul adaptation and episode 1 of season 2 was fantastic to the story. Then it went different way different. Not against the show I still enjoy it but still Henry doing a 1 to 1 adaptation would of been amazing. Who knows they may actually do a film series instead?

Varteras

Gold Member
When you made someone as passionate about the material as Cavil was leave a perfect role, you can fuck right off with any notion that I'll trust you to actually give a shit about this show anymore than just a means to make a buck off the name.

And fuck a rigid adherence to the books.
The writers of the games found plenty of their own original stories to tell, but they expanded the universe rather than betraying it. It's not that they're telling new stories. The issue is the fact that they're rewriting the characters, their motivations, the relationships they have with each other, etc.

It would be like adopting the first three Star Wars movies for a series of novels, generally keeping to the original story in the first book, and then in the second book telling a story where Luke loses his force powers and agrees to kill Leia to get them back. WTF are you doing at that point? Why are you even pretending that you're interested in adopting the original work?

The writers of the games found plenty of their own original stories to tell, but they expanded the universe rather than betraying it. It's not that they're telling new stories. The issue is the fact that they're rewriting the characters, their motivations, the relationships they have with each other, etc.

It would be like adopting the first three Star Wars movies for a series of novels, generally keeping to the original story in the first book, and then in the second book telling a story where Luke loses his force powers and agrees to kill Leia to get them back. WTF are you doing at that point? Why are you even pretending that you're interested in adopting the original work?
No one seems to have an issue when capeshit does stuff like that.

No one seems to have an issue when capeshit does stuff like that.
We generally don't have the directors and writers of super hero movies promising to be faithful to the original stories. If the Witcher series writers wouldn't have lied about how they were going to be faithful to the original works, we wouldn't have this issue right now, and Cavill likely wouldn't have done the show in the first place.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah I always assumed that they would have some kind of insetting explanation for his sudden change in looks. I'm sure they'll have Jaskier make some funny jokes and whatnot.

But I won't be there to see it because I am fully checked out of the series. Season 1 was pretty good, but I felt like they could improve. Season 2 meanwhile butt fucked the source material into the ground and ruined some of my favorite characters from the books. I tried to hang in there and I tried to be a good sport and defend what I could, but it just wasn't worth it anymore. Season 3 and the marketing around it looks like it's going to be even worse. I got the Old Spice ad with Ciri and one of the dwarves and I was just laughing at just how god-awful it is when she has this goofy vision involving the product and the dwarf. You would never have caught Game of thrones or another high-profile show bringing themselves down with goofy team-ups like that.

Netflix took what could have genuinely been a contender for the title previously held by Game of thrones for THE water cooler show that everyone watches and talks about. They had it in the palm of their hands and instead of being faithful to the source material and the story that it provided they handed a great cast a shit script and completely disrespected the fans along the way.

FeralEcho

So they care about lore when the one person who really cared about it is leaving? Lol what…
They really think the audience is as stupid as they are and we can't see through the mountains of shit they've been flinging at us.This îs what annoys me at modern day filmmakers,they have this fucking ego that makes them think they are better than their audience.Well they can eat shit with their Netflix Witcher garbage.

SJRB

Gold Member
O fuck off, guy. This show didn't give a shit about the lore since the very first episode.

What a dumpster fire.

Top Bottom