• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 may continue Geralt's Story

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Everyone and their brother should know it’s Ciri moving forward.
Ciri isn't a true Witcher so no. Ciri never undertakes the Trails of Grasses as all true Witchers do as most die in the process. She is a Witcher in name only and only supplements it with her Elder Blood.

When it comes to potions and Witcher reflexes Ciri will always fall short.

-------------

As for Geralt his story arc is done IMO. Would prefer a Witcher not bound by "Sorceress Politics" like Geralt was.

More Witcher stuff like Monster Hunting, fighting the Supernatural and Potionmaking that others would not be surviving is what I'd like to see.

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

They said many times that Geralt's story is over. The best thing we will get is that Geralt now is the new Vesemir and he will be our mentor/teacher.

Ristifer

Ciri isn't a true Witcher so no. Ciri never undertakes the Trails of Grasses as all true Witchers do as most die in the process. She is a Witcher in name only and only supplements it with her Elder Blood.

When it comes to potions and Witcher reflexes Ciri will always fall short.

-------------

As for Geralt his story arc is done IMO. Would prefer a Witcher not bound by "Sorceress Politics" like Geralt was.

More Witcher stuff like Monster Hunting, fighting the Supernatural and Potionmaking that others would not be surviving is what I'd like to see.
It’s not called “True Witcher 4.” They’ll just do whatever they want for the story.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
geralt-of-rivia-witcher-4-scaled.jpg

In a recent interview, The Witcher 4’s game director, Sebastian Kalemb, dropped a hint that suggests Geralt of Rivia will return to the series, but whether he’ll be the title’s main character is yet to be seen.

It was also explained that the ambitious title is being designed in a way that welcomes new players to the series but also pleases veteran fans of the franchise.

It’s not yet known how Geralt fits into The Witcher 4 – we don’t even know who will be voicing the character (but we hope it’d be Doug Cockle).

Doug Cockle is battling "full blown prostate cancer" so let's keep him in our thoughts and prayers to pull through first.
Doug Cockle voice actor of Geralt battling cancer :messenger_heart: 🙏

Braag

With Vesemir dying followed by Lambert and Eskel leaving to different directions and Kaer Morhen basically being abandoned, School of the Wolf is pretty much dead, save for 3 members. So I guess Geralt could travel to any other school.
But from the teaser we know it has something to do with School of the Lynx. My theory was that they would let you create your own Witcher or something. But not being able to make a female witcher might annoy a lot of people... unless the Lynx School has found a way to make a female witcher.
I know most people say Ciri should be the protag, but they would need to seriously nerf her power level for anything to be a threat to her. She could cut through dozens of wild hunt warriors at the end of Witcher 3 in mere seconds, then there's the whole ability to teleport to anywhere in the universe.

Last edited:

blue velvet

That's very surprising to me. The blood and wine ending felt like that was the end of geralts journey.
This is not surprising business wise as their recent cyberpunk game was not received very well when it came out and it gave their whole company a bad PR. Them going back to Witcher and Geralt is probably the safest route to gain back the trust and applauds from the fans, as long as it's not going to be a buggy, false advertised game that is. Cyberpunk got good updates throughout the years but still left a bad taste in people's mouth.

Fake

Awwww. I wanted Ciri to be main character in Witcher 4. 😿

Ciri have a very poor personality, not to mention she is not a witcher. Can't use potions, mutations, nothing, besides put oil in sword, just like any normal person can do.

As far I remember, she lost part of her powers in the end to contain the wild hunt?

Last edited:
Ciri have a very poor personality, not to mention she is not a witcher. Can't use potions, mutations, nothing, besides put oil in sword, just like any normal person can do.

As far I remember, she lost part of her powers in the end to contain the wild hunt?
Ohhhh I didn’t know that. Could she go through the Trails of Grasses to become a Witcher?

Fake

Ohhhh I didn’t know that. Could she go through the Trails of Grasses to become a Witcher?

The only way she could become a Witcher is by the forbidden ritual, as Vicimer said, this ritual is no more. The remaining Witchers in the world are their last, until their lifespan gone.

The only way she could become a Witcher is by the forbidden ritual, as Vicimer said, this ritual is no more. The remaining Witchers in the world are their last, until their lifespan gone.
Ohhhh. Interesting. Thanks for telling me. 👍🏻
So, I guess there goes that idea. 😞

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not so much that the ritual is no more but because they have no magic user to perform the Alchemical experiment. The Witchers have all that they need to perform the ritual they just don't know how it works. And are distrustful of magic users since it usually leads to bad things in their experience.

They could easily just introduce a Wizard that has the knowledge and theoretically make new Witchers but in terms of story none exist. And even with proper knowledge the success rate is still 30%.

That said at her best Ciri as a "Witcher" just has knowledge on killing monsters and applying oils/poisons on their weapons. She will always lack Witcher reflexes, Witcher attributes such as strength/nightvision, capacity for high toxicity potions and slow aging.

Geralt of Rivia could easily outlive her because of it. Vesemir was a couple centuries old.

Last edited:

Fake

Not so much that the ritual is no more but because they have no magic user to perform the Alchemical experiment. The Witchers have all that they need to perform the ritual they just don't know how it works. And are distrustful of magic users since it usually leads to bad things in their experience.

They could easily just introduce a Wizard that has the knowledge and theoretically make new Witchers but in terms of story none exist. And even with proper knowledge the success rate is still 30%.

That said at her best Ciri as a "Witcher" just has knowledge on killing monsters and applying oils/poisons on their weapons. She will always lack Witcher reflexes, Witcher attributes such as strength/nightvision, capacity for high toxicity potions and slow aging.

Geralt of Rivia could easily outlive her because of it. Vesemir was a couple centuries old.

IDK if this even worth doing that just for Ciri lol. Vesemir said besides that, the horror of doing such rituals and the consequences. Most of the kids that got trained die in that ritual.

She lacks like 90% of what make a Witcher a Witcher. And as I said, you don't need to be a Witcher to apply oil in swords.

But if they don't want to follow the source material as many modern movies are doing and failing, the skys are the limit.

Last edited:

knguyen

CDPR nailed the atmosphere and story with the Witcher 3. I really hope they'll make the combat better with 4, it needs to be slower and has more weight, I want to feel my silver sword tears into monster's flesh. They also need to make the loots more exciting, and please, no enemy scaling.

Dorohedoro

I'm not sure Doug Cockle has it in him anymore honestly. I recall his voice acting in the dlc quest for the tv show armor being at a noticeably lower quality compared to virtually every other line of dialogue he has in the game. Maybe it could've been the result of the equipment that was used to record or even because he didn't feel like bringing his A game for a small dlc quest 7 years after launch so he phoned it in, but that's probably wishful thinking. Unless they go with Ciri as the protag, which I doubt, it'll probably just have another character creator like Cyberpunk.

april6e

That's a shame. We already got three games of him and W3 wrapped up his story perfectly in the good ending. I would rather have Ciri as the new protagonist, especially since Geralt literally deemed her his successor in the game.

Lupin25

Ciri will be the next protagonist. Can’t really see it being anyone else (especially if Geralt is still involved).

Edit: could see a lot of companion type missions.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Stricken with severe arthritis and hay fever, the player have to embark on a journey to find The Quack who knows the secret herbs that can cure the hero.

Geralt was much much younger than Lambert in Witcher 3 so that doesn’t make any sense.

Witchers die in battle.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think they are seeing that changing legacy characters and promoting something new in the same universe FINALLY is being pushed back hard and causing loss in profits, so I dont mind at all they using their solidify protagonist.

And what is the point in wanting a witcher game without the witcher ? This boggles my mind.. if you want something different maybe you should want a spinoff, or maybe another game, but not a mainline The witcher game.

Well I vote Geralt, there is an abundance of new female protagonists in gaming nowdays, there is nl need for one more in Ciri when we gave an excellent in Geralt.

SaucyJack

Geralt is ofcourse my favourite character in the series but the guy legit had the perfect ending arc. I mean ciri is legit a great central character of the series, she is directly trained to be geralts succesor if necessary, has absolutely insane powers at full potential above geralts grade and is literally setup to be the new protaganist. I dont know why making her the new protaganist of witcher 4 would be a insult.

They can add geralt into the story at parts or make him a duoaganist.

Well the first problem I would see with Ciri being the protagonist of The Witcher 4 is that Ciri isn't actually A Witcher let alone THE Witcher.

According to the lore Witchers are male, and only male. THE Witcher across the original book series and all adaptions is Geralt of Rivia.

Would I play a game that had Ciri as the protagonist? Absolutely she's got the potential to be a really good playable character in a well written game if CDPR deliver. Just call it what it really is, a tale from the Witcher universe rather than The Witcher 4.

Peroroncino

Noooo, leave Geralt and Ciri alone. That story is done.

Figure out something different, Witcher is big enough to fit in a few new stories about other monster slayers.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Can we not just have Geralt in a fully realised Night City.

I find the whole setting of The Witcher, tedious as fuck.

Not being selfish or anything...😊

Oh please. Not Geralt again. It's like playing it super safe. Geralt has earned his rest. Let him rest.
Implement a character creation, or give us at least the option to choose between a male and female protagonist.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I hate Lambert. He's awful. However according to Lore he is the one who rebuilds Cat school into Lynx School so there is that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Witchers are simply idiots and cowards, who don't even know who is their master and what they are fighting for.

Personal opinions aside Witcher’s purpose is the path. It’s that simple and if you want to change that then you don’t understand the point of the character.

Dazraell

I hate Lambert. He's awful. However according to Lore he is the one who rebuilds Cat school into Lynx School so there is that.
If you're referring to the post on wikia, that one is made up. You can even see "Fanon" in the name of this wikia

Whatever this new school is, it will probably differ from this description

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If you're referring to the post on wikia, that one is made up. You can even see "Fanon" in the name of this wikia

Whatever this new school is, it will probably differ from this description
I hope so. Can't stand Lambert. Always liked Eskel though.

I'm betting you can make your own custom Witcher that will be guided by 'retired old veteran' Geralt. So he will show up now and then during the game, commenting on your playthrough. Maybe they even go full Johnny Silverhand with him and make him communicating with the player as a 'ghost' or something.

Mozzarella

Who cares? wake me up when this game is released, i made the mistake of following CDPR hype and marketing train once, i will never do it again.
I know they are good devs and i like most of their work, but still, im not following their marketing campaign, its like you are getting fed tiny bits of rice over the years.

Dazraell

I hope so. Can't stand Lambert. Always liked Eskel though.

I may be wrong, but I think they will try to distance themselves from the past trilogy and giving more space to set up the new cast. They will probably use new characters, have some from the books who haven't yet appeared in games or some from past games who haven't appeared in TW3. Similarly with the setting, we will probably visit some other parts of TW world that we haven't yet seen in games. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we will have a small Geralt cameo or references though

I also think that new witcher (regardless if it's set character or V / Shepard-adjacent character where we can edit their appearance) may feel like a very difficult step, especially after how successful and inseparable Geralt's character feels with this franchise, but it's definitely a challenge that may ultimately help the series to grow and not keeping it stale. And it's not like that they're keeping Geralt out as he will be a main character in The Witcher 1 Remake. We will definitely see some new content with Geralt in it that wasn't present in the original game

Top Bottom