• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher “Polaris” Dev Team To Expand to 400 Members in 2024; CDPR Is Not Interested in Getting Acquired

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It's CRAZY that The Witcher 3 is already almost a decade old, but hopefully 4 will really be something special.

After 1+ years and 10 patches later it will most definitely will...

C'mon guys, haven't we learned anything after the CP2077 fiasco ? it took them 3 YEARS after release to get it at its current state ffs.
Also : the Witcher 3 - how many patches did they release regarding the performance on previous gen consoles ?
How many patches has the next gen version received so far ?
What about the Witcher 1 which was basically redone ?

It's like we never learn unfortunately...

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
CDPR tends to scale pretty well. Game is done with preproduction, I think. Four years with the tech, tools, reference art etc. in place seems kinda reasonable.

This is assuming it isn’t like 2x the density/detail of something like CP2077 in its current state.

CP2077 took 7 years to release after first teaser so I am basing a bit on that. Add to the fact that they are moving to UE5 for the first time and abandoning Red engine, which mightve its own issues.
Of course I will be happy to get it as soon as possible though.

EDMIX

the-witcher-4-project-polaris-mockup-logo-teaser-gr.jpg

The next entry in The Witcher series, currently known as "Polaris", is going to see a development ramp-up in 2024 with the expansion of the development team, according to the current CD Projekt Red CEO.

Speaking with Polish publication Parkiet, Adam Kiciński, who will move onto another role at the company from January 1st, commented on what the studio is working on, starting with the next entry in the series based on the works by Andrzej Sapkowski. As of now, over 330 people are working on Polaris, and the team will be expanded to about 400 people in mid-2024. Next year, CD Projekt Red will also start working on Orion, the Cyberpunk 2077 sequel, whose conceptual stage ended a while back. As of now, the development team is still being built, whose core will be the new studio in Boston. Work is also continuing on Sirius in collaboration with The Molasses Flood and the remake of the first entry in The Witcher series.

Speaking about The Witcher "Polaris," Adam Kiciński highlighted how rumors saying that work is at an advanced stage and that a release date will be announced soon are not true. Following the multiple delays of Cyberpunk 2077, the Polish studio will start announcing release dates later than before, but they will still talk about upcoming titles early enough to allow for the proper marketing campaign.

Alongside talking about The Witcher "Polaris," Adam Kiciński also commented on potential acquisitions by the studio, saying that they are not interested in purchasing other companies only to consolidate their financial results. At the same time, CD Projekt Red is not interested in being acquired either by a larger entity, as they have worked their entire lives to get to the position they are currently in, a position that will only improve in a few years.

The Witcher “Polaris” Dev Team To Expand to 400 Members in 2024; CDPR Is Not Interested in Getting Acquired

I don't think anyone should trust this fucking company

Isn't it the same company that was telling us they leave greed to others? Only to then start working on DLC in 2019, even before the base game is done, completed and released, their interest was working on something to get money from you, more then actually completing the base game.

The same company that was telling us the game would be finished when it's finished only to then lie about some early access shit for several years?

soooooo yea, these guys say a lot of things.

I just don't believe they would ever be honest about something like that anyway. So if there is talks with them to be purchased or for them to buy a company or something, it's extremely doubtful they're going to tell you ahead of time or something. Most companies never actually do that.

They'll also need more developers if they wish to release the game in a working state if its going to be open world. But something tells me, they don't give a fuck and their goal is to just get the game out and complete it 3 years after release with a series of apologies. So its hard to say lesson learned, when they've proven they can continue to do this with very little repercussion.

So if anyone is worried about incomplete games releasing or companies so focused on DLC even before the base game is done. CDPR is to thank for that lol

Dazraell

Isn't it the same company that was telling us they leave greed to others? Only to then start working on DLC in 2019, even before the base game is done, completed and released, their interest was working on something to get money from you, more then actually completing the base game.

So if anyone is worried about incomplete games releasing or companies so focused on DLC even before the base game is done. CDPR is to thank for that lol

I mean, your opinion of CDPR is warranted based on Cyberpunk's release, but this part is a really bad hot take. Do you seriously think that every member of the development team is involved with a game until very last minute that game is out? Some of the staff members finish their work earlier - artists, writers, designers, asset creators, etc, and then others work on implementing their work to the game. Should these devs sit on their asses doing nothing and taking money while their work is being implemented? That's why next projects and DLCs are already being in development earlier, alongside with main team still finishing the main game as some people at dev team are already ready to move on and work on next things

Last edited:
I mean, your opinion of CDPR is warranted based on Cyberpunk's release, but this part is a really bad hot take. Do you seriously think that every member of the development team is involved with a game until very last minute that game is out? Some of the staff members finish their work earlier - artists, writers, designers, asset creators, etc, and then others work on implementing their work to the game. Should these devs sit on their asses doing nothing and taking money while their work is being implemented? That's why next projects and DLCs are already being in development earlier, alongside with main team still finishing the main game as some people at dev team are already ready to move on and work on next things

Ehh nothing will make cdpr better in his eyes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They wont sell out yet.

Stock peaked at about $100 US right before CP2077. That debacle made the stock drop to $40... $20.... $30.... it's now at $25 US.

If this stick ever rebounds to $60-80 and they get offered to be bought out for $100 US like 2020, I think they'll do it.

Dazraell

I mean, I get the frustration caused by Cyberpunk's release. That one was a big hit on their reputation. But that argument of working on other projects while not completing the game was something that felt unfair and naive. I don't think they had any nefarious goals with this as it was just a natural process of transition from main project to post-release content by devs who already completed their part. It also always baffles me that people tend to look at the studio as a single entity instead of grasping a concept that dev teams are much more fluid and their size is determined by the current state of development

Kumomeme

This is probably the third time in approximately 6 months that CDPR felt the need to explain that they are not for sale.
there is people who believe that buying company is like buying grocery. just go out at store, pick em and paid it without anyone can say anything lmao.

Fredrik

Lol did you play Baldurs Gate 3. The most inclusive game ever made. Sorry seems like retro is the only way to go.
Oh no… I’m only 23 hours into Baldur’s Gate 3. Nothing has been in your face western political yet. And ladies mostly look hot which is a big no-no among western AAA devs. What strings are they pulling?

EDMIX

Do you seriously think that every member of the development team is involved with a game until very last minute that game is out? Some of the staff members finish their work earlier - artists, writers, designers, asset creators, etc, and then others work on implementing their work to the game.

Nope.

I never state anything of the sort, merely that this team has expressed this idea that they are above that and different. Clearly they are not.

I have nothing against the writers, artist etc moving on the other portion of this project, merely that at the state of this games release, its in poor taste when they are doing this knowing they are releasing an incomplete title.

Put it as early access if those artist and writers are doing other parts of this game and merely release it as a final thing in 2023 like we saw from Baldur's Gate 3.

Never mind just the story, the fact that actual core functions continued to be worked on begs question, why release something in 2020 at full price, of something your writers, artist and other developers are still clearly working on?

I've said this for a long time, that wasn't "DLC", that was continued development of something incomplete, funded from the full price release in 2020. I don't think they should have ever charged gamers for that after what they did in 2020.

Nothing but them actually releasing a complete title with no bullshit. This team fucking made a massive point of talking shit about other publishers, now having put out the king of incomplete projects, deserves all the shit flung back at them.

Lots of teams released completed games, functional games, working features, even early access titles like Baldur's Gate 3...all without lying to fans or trying to nickel and dime them on DLC in a rush to make even more money off em.

For them to be better, they must fucking DO BETTER. None of that PR shit fucking works on some of us man.

Nothing they say will change this.

Only their future actions will have me change my mind. They lost that trust when they lied about all this shit man. They no are no better then some other 3rd party teams they talked shit about, I'd argue they might even be worse as I don't think any of us are under the impression that GTA VI will release with no cop Ai or Starfield will release with zero ship battles or Star Wars Outlaws will release with no Ai to drive ships or something fucking weird like this.

Yet....this is the team that did all that crap.

When they actually really release a game with no BS, you'll see me respond accordingly.

Nope.

I never state anything of the sort, merely that this team has expressed this idea that they are above that and different. Clearly they are not.

I have nothing against the writers, artist etc moving on the other portion of this project, merely that at the state of this games release, its in poor taste when they are doing this knowing they are releasing an incomplete title.

Put it as early access if those artist and writers are doing other parts of this game and merely release it as a final thing in 2023 like we saw from Baldur's Gate 3.

Never mind just the story, the fact that actual core functions continued to be worked on begs question, why release something in 2020 at full price, of something your writers, artist and other developers are still clearly working on?

I've said this for a long time, that wasn't "DLC", that was continued development of something incomplete, funded from the full price release in 2020. I don't think they should have ever charged gamers for that after what they did in 2020.

Nothing but them actually releasing a complete title with no bullshit. This team fucking made a massive point of talking shit about other publishers, now having put out the king of incomplete projects, deserves all the shit flung back at them.

Lots of teams released completed games, functional games, working features, even early access titles like Baldur's Gate 3...all without lying to fans or trying to nickel and dime them on DLC in a rush to make even more money off em.

For them to be better, they must fucking DO BETTER. None of that PR shit fucking works on some of us man.

Only their future actions will have me change my mind. They lost that trust when they lied about all this shit man. They no are no better then some other 3rd party teams they talked shit about, I'd argue they might even be worse as I don't think any of us are under the impression that GTA VI will release with no cop Ai or Starfield will release with zero ship battles or Star Wars Outlaws will release with no Ai to drive ships or something fucking weird like this.

When they actually really release a game with no BS, you'll see me respond accordingly.

Lol Bethesda releases two black eyes in a row. Kindly write the same drivel to them. And no, that starfield e3 demo was a sham for they cut a shit ton of the required loading in the real game. Only after the reviews were out do we all realised how segmented the game is and that will forever will be the legacy of starfield.

Not counting the fact that an rpg needs to have engaging writing and characters which starfield is as vanilla as vanilla on vanilla ice cream on vanilla cake. And this is from someone who love the crimson fleet quest.

Nope.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Baldur's Gate 3 was also broken at launch. And it was in EA for what 2 years?

Become a patient gamer or deal with it.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
They are in the early stages of going woke, no one should want to acquire them.
Especially with how bad their games are at launch.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Lol Bethesda releases
lolz...ok.

This has nothing to do with Starfield. Nothing in Starfield is even near the lawsuit type shit that was going on with CDPR.

Not even sure the desperation of trying to derail conversation away from CDPR, your original comment is about nothing CDPR doing can make me see them better or some shit.

Responded. gave reasons on what they could do to change how I view them.

Not sure what you crying over Starfield would have to do with any of that.

Top Bottom