• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Million selling PS1 and PS2 games in the USA - More than 190 titles

sörine

Banned
The Saturn interestingly never had demo discs outside of Christmas Nights, which is something that Sony pushed a lot for the Playstation in magazines. The only Sega console to have demo discs was the Dreamcast. Which is something that they included monthly with the Official Dreamcast Magazine.
I'm not sure that's true, my Saturn came with a Panzer Dragoon demo disc containing the entire 2nd level.

yah, there's no million seller for the Vita yet worldwide afaik.
Retail no but I feel like Minecraft could get there.

sörine;163738024 said:
I'm not sure that's true, my Saturn came with a Panzer Dragoon demo disc containing the entire 2nd level.

Oh, you are correct. There were demo discs released for the Saturn: http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-complete-demo,,1,,0,,1.html

But only three ever made it to North America apparently. A 'bootleg' sampler disc (which was an official Sega release), a BUG! sampler and Christmas Nights. Though there were quite a few demo's released in Japan and Europe. The only demo disc for the console that I have ever seen or owned was Christmas Nights.

Last Gen wasn't even at all, only reason why current numbers seem that way was because Wii had no support for like 4 years.

The Wii sold more than 360/ps3 combined at times if I remember right.

But the sales numbers between all three consoles were much closer to each other than they were for the previous two generations before that. Yes the Wii did dominate the sales charts and still ended out on top at the end, but sales for that console did die down the moment the 360 and PS3 started dropping to much more competitive price points.

Console generations 5 and 6 were dominated by a single console, the PS1 and PS2. But for generation 6, I think this was much less the case. Which is what I am trying to say.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm just interested in where you got the current numbers.

NPD #s usually are meant to be private, although older #s usually aren't an issue these days because NPD used to sometimes reveal them. Evasive answers indicates you should stop asking :). He probably doesn't want to reveal his source.

Also, off topic, but why is your avatar not actually of Herman Cain? (it's of Ben Carson from what I can tell).

donny2112

I didn't realize how skewed the original Xbox was towards Halo though.

Halobox. I can remember some IGN video where they were going to an event and asked the editors what their favorite Xbox games were. This was before Halo 2. Everyone's #1 was Halo, but then it took them all a bit to try to pick a standout #2 (none were the same). Halo really did make the Xbox.

allan-bh

NPD #s usually are meant to be private, although older #s usually aren't an issue these days because NPD used to sometimes reveal them. Evasive answers indicates you should stop asking :). He probably doesn't want to reveal his source.

I understand it's private but for me it's unclear if this data is reliable because doesn't match other leaks and I found strange that NPD made a software list including bundle copies.

Perhaps the OP could be a bit more specific.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Are these N. American figures? They are scaled up quite a bit from the NPD numbers I have...

I think they might be. Certainly N64 is scaled up.

I thought some of these figures looked familiar. This is the source right?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml

How reliable are the Magicbox? I have them marked as unreliable, but only because I don't know too much about them. Are these just scrapes of NPD data? They don't give sources.

Thats one of the sources I used, for the million sellers it is. I have others as well that are in line with magic box numbers through 2005. I also have sales for titles under 1m as well.

On top of that I had some npd data provided by a company, none of which i've posted here, but seems to agree with the op.

Square2015

According to Wiki (yep) VF had a source (which is no longer working) that VF did 500,000 in the U.S. citing an article from business wire.

if that wikipedia article is true, and VF2 is indeed the best selling game on the saturn (also from wikipedia I know lol) then it's unlikely any other games were close.

Does anybody have any reliable sources that show US sales for Saturn not wikipedia? (the one I just used) for verification?

I have NPD:
Saturn sold about 1.4m

The highest selling title, standalone was Madden NFL 97 ~240,000

orfax

Thats one of the sources I used, for the million sellers it is. I have others as well that are in line with magic box numbers through 2005. I also have sales for titles under 1m as well.

On top of that I had some npd data provided by a company, none of which i've posted here, but seems to agree with the op.
Ah ok, I was hoping I had a second source for some of my figures, and I could mark them (semi) reliable.

I noticed that Gran Turismo figure is higher than Polyphony Digitals North American figure. I assume PDs includes Canada and Mexico numbers as well. Gran Turismo 2 matches exactly with PD but NPD is US only so that doesn't make sense either.

I wish PD would update their figures. Its been ages. I want to see if GT5 is now the second highest (in numbers) in the franchise. I expect it to be.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ah ok, I was hoping I had a second source for some of my figures, and I could mark them (semi) reliable.

I noticed that Gran Turismo figure is higher than Polyphony Digitals North American figure. I assume PDs includes Canada and Mexico numbers as well. Gran Turismo 2 matches exactly with PD but NPD is US only so that doesn't make sense either.

I wish PD would update their figures. Its been ages. I want to see if GT5 is now the second highest (in numbers) in the franchise. I expect it to be.

Pm me

Not surprised there isn't a Wipeout game among these. Can we finally stop believing Sony killed a popular franchise but instead supported a franchise with a small fan base for a very long time.

Theonik

Count how many of those titles would sell today. :(
A lot of these would sell about the same today. The problem is that the expectations are much higher now with budget inflation and games selling 10m+ copies.
Selling 1m copies back then would have been fantastic numbers.

pa22word

Wow all these posts and not one person remembers that Hot Coffee is the reason that San Andreas isn't the number 1 PS2 game?

I feel old =\

A lot of these would sell about the same today. The problem is that the expectations are much higher now with budget inflation and games selling 10m+ copies.
Selling 1m copies back then would have been fantastic numbers.

Not to mention there's a a huge difference between $50 in the late 90s and $50 in 2015.

pa22word

It is the number 1 PS2 game. Unless you mean in NA, it's very close, VC was still selling when SA was out so had a big head start.

Head start had nothing to do with it.

The only reason SA isn't the number 1 game in NA is because take2 had to pull the game off shelves for like 6 months in the middle of it's prime shelf life and reprint the game without hot coffee on the disc.

Like I said, having to explain this makes me feel old as shit in hindsight, because it was probably one of the biggest gaming controversies of all time baring maybe Mortal Kombat getting the ESRB set up.

Also, considering the context of the topic is US sales, SA being number 1 worldwide doesn't really have anything to do with my post...

Jak series vs Ratchet series sales (three games each):
Jak series: 4.81 Million
Ratchet series: 3.86 Million

Someone explain to me why Sony continued with the Ratchet series on the PS3 and not the Jak series?

Only US.

Ratchet and Clank 1 sold 540k in Japan.....Jak and Dater 1 sold 144k.

The only reason SA isn't the number 1 game in NA is because take2 had to pull the game off shelves for like 6 months in the middle of it's prime shelf life and reprint the game without hot coffee on the disc.

Like I said, having to explain this makes me feel old as shit in hindsight, because it was probably one of the biggest gaming controversies of all time baring maybe Mortal Kombat getting the ESRB set up.

Also, considering the context of the topic is US sales, SA being number 1 worldwide doesn't really have anything to do with my post...

Which retailers were still selling.

Look how close the sales are.

VC had a 2 year head start, during the time PS2 hype was still traveling through, and it was one of the only game you could play.

Saying it's because of Hot coffee is ridiculous especially given multiple other reasons (Like CJ himself causing controversy which had some people turned off)

SA being number 1 worldwide also negates this fact even further when they also (correct if wrong) went and re-printed discs in other countries as well. (Don't forget they didn't pull 100% of all SA and the game was stills selling.)

Magnus

It's only counted once as a million seller, sure, but does the double-listing mean that FF7 actually sold over 6 million total? Is the second listing maybe the GH printing or something?

pa22word

Which retailers were still selling.

No they weren't...

No major retailer in the US carries AO games (gamestop, walmart, etc). Take2 was forced to do a recall, which killed sales of the games totally until they could flood the market with 2.0 copies.

CJ "controversy" had no impact on sales. Before Hot Coffee, SA was outpacing VC in every metric, and would have easily outsold it in NA if Take2 didn't have to recall the game.

allan-bh

Was not for 6 months, ESRB re-rated San Andreas in july 2005 and in october Rockstar launched Special Edition for PS2.

By the way, unless NPD revised significantly the numbers, in january 2009 San Andreas had 1.1m lead against Vice City standalone, with Double Pack SKU maybe Vice City was ahead.

No they weren't...

No major retailer in the US carries AO games (gamestop, walmart, etc). Take2 was forced to do a recall, which killed sales of the games totally until they could flood the market with 2.0 copies.

CJ "controversy" had no impact on sales. Before Hot Coffee, SA was outpacing VC in every metric, and would have easily outsold it in NA if Take2 didn't have to recall the game.

Yes it did actually for some actually. Some people didn't like the theme of the game. Even a recent thread thst year on this site I have found, shows that there's still a small issue with people not liking the "theme" of the game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=160761961

Also another thing, no, not 100% of retailers pulled out the game, Also (anybody reading can help confirm this) The GTA re-release was the SAME YEAR (2005) as when the controversy was happening, just in time for the holiday season. Not really much of a sales impact.

Was not for 6 months, ESRB re-rated San Andreas in july 2005 and in october Rockstar launched Special Edition for PS2.

By the way, unless NPD revised significantly the numbers, in january 2009 San Andreas had 1.1m lead against Vice City standalone, with Double Pack SKU maybe Vice City was ahead.

I can't find numbers so maybe you do as well, but didn't San Andreas increase in by the end of 2005?

Then you also have the Xbox release as well., Either way, as I said above, all the same year, retailers were still selling the game, not all retailers pulled out, I brought the game IN 2005, and still have it.

allan-bh

I can't find numbers so maybe you do as well, but didn't San Andreas increase in by the end of 2005?

Then you also have the Xbox release as well., Either way, as I said above, all the same year, retailers were still selling the game, not all retailers pulled out, I brought the game IN 2005, and still have it.

San Andreas sales on PS2 dive in august and september (less than 10k on both months combined). In october Special Edition came out and I suppose sales started to being better but I don't have these numbers.

cheesekao

1.1 million people bought Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories and probably only 10 people beat it. To say that the odds were stacked against you in that game is an understatement.

Futurematic

I have NPD:
Saturn sold about 1.4m
Adjusted numbers? Only source [PDF] I could find was the following:
Up to February 2002, the installed bases of users in U.S. market for the Sega Saturn, PlayStation One and Nintendo 64 are 1.28 millions, 28.25 millions and 17.17 millions, and the total unit sales of their affiliated software products are 8.09 millions, 300.02 millions and 111.55 millions, respectively.

Fake Edit: Whoops, never mind. If anybody ever needs a source for Saturn's 1.4 million that's online, Bloomberg has you covered.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
These are actually quite surprising lists... I thought FF7 did much better for instance, and am surprised that the only non FF/non KH RPG in the list is Legend of Dragoon (one I've never played), and that Driver and Croc were such huge hits.

The Legend of Dragoon did surprisingly well, but then I'm reminded of a Yoshida interview a couple of years back where he stated that it was the sales in that particular region that stopped the game from being an outright bomb.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not surprised there isn't a Wipeout game among these. Can we finally stop believing Sony killed a popular franchise but instead supported a franchise with a small fan base for a very long time.

This is the US charts, I'd imagine that Wipeout generally did much better in Europe than the US, especially since back during the game's prime, club culture and electronic music was still super obscure in America while it was at its apex in Europe. (This is what of course originally drove me to the series as an American with a budding interest in electronic music)

Nowadays, electronic music finally caught on in a big way in the US so I think we'd be more receptive to a well-marketed PS4 Wipeout title.

Square2015

Anyway, maybe you could do a top 10 SW sales for Saturn in this thread, would be interesting...

I'll spend some time and put that together...

1. Virtua Fighter [SAT bundle only] 250,000
2. Madden NFL 97 240,000
3. NiGHTS [+SAT bundle] 220,000
4. Virtua Fighter 2 [+SAT bundle] 200,000
5. Sega Rally [+ SAT bundle] 190,000
6. Daytona USA 170,000
7. Sonic 3D Blast 170,000
8. Tomb Raider 170,000
9. NHL 97 130,000
10. Virtua Cop [2 ver.] 130,000

Notable mentions:
MYST 130,000
Panzer Dragoon 120,000
Virtua Cop 2 [2 ver.] 120,000

allan-bh

I'll spend some time and put that together...

1. Virtua Fighter [SAT bundle only] 250,000
2. Madden NFL 97 240,000
3. NiGHTS [+SAT bundle] 220,000
4. Virtua Fighter 2 [+SAT bundle] 200,000
5. Sega Rally [+ SAT bundle] 190,000
6. Daytona USA 170,000
7. Sonic 3D Blast 170,000
8. Tomb Raider 170,000
9. NHL 97 130,000
10. Virtua Cop [2 ver.] 130,000

Notable mentions:
MYST 130,000
Panzer Dragoon 120,000
Virtua Cop 2 [2 ver.] 120,000

Thanks for the work.

I always thought VF 2 had an amazing attach rate but was not the case.

Top Bottom