• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No LAN for Diablo 3 as well?

Dina

Recently revealed that Starcraft 2 would not have LAN, it seems like Diablo 3 will follow suit.

"More so than overbearing/invasive anti-piracy measures that would affect everyone who buys the game regardless of how they're going to play it instead of just those that may want a LAN feature? I would doubt it.

I don't know a lot about it, Diablo III isn't really facing the brunt of the Battle.net 2.0 features just yet, but I think that removing LAN in an attempt to avoid more severe anti-piracy measures is pretty cool. We're saying "Hey, we're pretty sure you're going to love our game. The multiplayer is really the best part though. In order to get in on that that we'd just like to make sure you bought the game. Cool?"

Bashiok's (A Battle.net community manager) quote was quickly deleted from the forums (link in original article is dead), but a german site managed to catch it. According to the same german page, b.net will still be free of charge.

Original German Source: http://diablo-3.gamersunity.de/text2104/diablo_3_im_battle.net_kostenlos_und_ohne_lan-modus_.html

I can live with this far more easily than removing LAN from SCII.

I'm curious as to whether Blizzard will figure out a way to let single player characters mingle with realm characters or whether they'll keep those separate again.

Dina

StUnNeR H2K

I think we can all get the idea that Blizzard will not be supporting LAN play for any future games. WoW has them obsessed with people getting online.

idlewild_

The Lamonster said:
Let's irrationally freak out over this one, too.

playing games over battle.net hasn't worked for me and friends at uni when we were on same router, all but one of us will lag out soon as the game starts. so, yes, if this or sc2 comes out w/o LAN while we're still in uni, then it is kind of a big deal since we spend the vast majority of the time spent on these games playing with/against each other...

The Mule

idlewild_ said:
playing games over battle.net hasn't worked for me and friends at uni when we were on same router, all but one of us will lag out soon as the game starts. so, yes, if this or sc2 comes out w/o LAN while we're still in uni, then it is kind of a big deal since we spend the vast majority of the time spent on these games playing with/against each other...
probably need to fix your router then.

don't blame blizzard for an incorrectly configured network.

Xyphie

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the game is closed b.net only, single player would basically be you playing alone in a game.

ShinNL

This only matters for mini tournaments at local game cafés right? I never liked playing D2 alone in single player and Open "Hack" Battle.net wasn't really serious. Though I had fun making an attack that shoots Baal's Blue V wave attack xP

LiK said:
no-brainer. it's all about Battle.net

I agree with you. This is going to be their portal to their games and they will want everything to run through it. It doesn't bother me so much but this can definitely be a deal breaker for some.

It kind of sucks. My copy of Diablo II LOD was apparently already opened before I bought it and now there's some jerkoff out there with my CD key. I'm too lazy to spend the few bucks to send Blizzard my jewel case so they can give me a new key, namely because I only play Diablo II with one other guy and we just play it over LAN.

But I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Cowie

idlewild_ said:

Unless you're a freshman going for a phd, there's nothing to worry about.

heyyyyyyyooooooooooooooo

RavenFox

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
fucking release Starcraft 2 beta already FFS.
this x10

NorrenRadd said:
I agree with you. This is going to be their portal to their games and they will want everything to run through it. It doesn't bother me so much but this can definitely be a deal breaker for some.
wtf is going on in your avatar lol

Boonoo

This doesn't bother me too much. Serious play in Diablo II was always done through b.net anyway. Those 8 person run throughs and iron mans during a lan are pretty fun, though.

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about how b.net 1.0 functions. It seems like people should look to WoW for how well or not well b.net 2.0 will work in various settings.

Top Bottom