• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Thinks Baldur’s Gate 3’s Success Is Great For the Industry

Draugoth

Gold Member

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer appeared in an interview on the Gamescom 2023 IGN livestream yesterday afternoon. To start with, Phil Spencer praised the incredible success of Baldur's Gate 3 but also said he didn't think it would influence expectations for the upcoming launch of Starfield.

Great game, but I don't think it has anything to do with Starfield. Great games coming out are always good for the industry. First, congratulations to Larian and the team. I think it's like what, a 97 rated game or something? As somebody who finished the original Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and all of the expansions, I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan. To see a team spend the time to make I think a true next iteration of a classic gaming franchise, it's always just great for the industry.

Baldur's Gate 3 is also notable because it doesn't have an Xbox release date. Famously, developer Larian Studios claimed it has an issue with making split-screen work on the less powerful Xbox Series S console. However, Phil Spencer clarified that Turn 10 made a creative choice not to include split-screen. He also maintained the importance of Xbox Series S in the market as a more accessible entry point for customers and said Microsoft is devoting resources to ensure Baldur's Gate 3 makes it to Xbox:

I want to decouple these issues a little bit. The decision to do split screen or not was a creative one for Forza Motorsport, it has nothing to do with any kind of hardware thing. It's just what they wanted to focus their time on. We obviously see the data in terms of how many people play local co-op. I love local co-op; shout out to Vampire Survivors that just launched it, but there's also just going where the play is in terms of where we're going to focus our dev resources.

In terms of the two platforms, I want games to launch on both platforms. There are feature differences between the platforms, we have an ability to handle that and how it works where teams are going to choose to focus their time and their effort is up to them. We're here to support them.

We want to make sure that games when they're launching on competitive platforms are also launching on Xbox, so we're going to learn from this experience as well because we don't love that, but I don't think it's something that's like a fatal flaw in the system. It's partners prioritizing their time. You see some amazing games doing great work. Diablo, Starfield, and Forza look great across both. I want to make sure console gaming is accessible to more people and we think the price point of the console is a pretty important part of that.

I will say that I think some of the discussion has maybe not come from us or the developers. It's been more the community building while this happened and then that happened and then so it must be about this. I think we can do more to add clarity.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a great game, they're an important partner, and I'm meeting with them here at Gamescom. It's a game I want to see on the platform and we have resources that can help with that.

Top Bottom