• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anas

Banned
s
GoneHome.jpg

I don't know where is similarity of this game with Life is Strange cause is totally different, Gone Home is First Person Adventure that allow you to explore a mansion to know the story of the portraitist family, the game is more like first Resident Evil when it come to exploring and the mansion thing, and it totally scary, the lightning sound is very scary especially when you reach unlighted places in the mansion, I was waiting for someone to give a jump scare in the game but it didn't happen, as for the story.. you'll play as Katilin who was studying aboard and came back to this mansion cause her family moved into while she was away, you and Katy have something in common.. both of you have zero information about this big mad house, when you start to explore the house you'll find a piece of Sam's journal, and who's the heck is Sam? Sam is Katy's young sister that for reason is not in the house to do the welcome party thing, with every piece of Sam's journal you'll find out more about Sam's life in the year that Katy was away, and you eventually will discover why Sam isn't at home at the end. t

the game was pretty fun to explore and will give you that amazing feeling of Resident Evil Remake when you unlock a door that leading you to door that locked in the begging. you know what I mean lol, and you better mute the sound effect if you don't get scared..
it was great experience but the bad thing that the game is hilariously short.

Original Post

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game #18
3d Classics: Kirby's Adventure. 3DS
Finished it last night, been playing it in bits over the course of a few months, a level here, a level there. Still holds up remarkably well and I love the 3d effects.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

GAME #20: Cookie Clicker (2013)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: Browser | Developer: Ortail |

Okay, this started out as just something I wanted to show my girlfriend. It lasted many hours a night. Often just idlying by in the background. It's a fun game but hilariously pointless and stupid. But the developer knows it's stupid. It's such a one-joke game that it just goes with it takes it to the logical conclussion. It was around the part where the Grandmas turned into an evil C'thulhuian cult and invaded my cookie with hellspawn that this game took a turn for the absurd and started to get really fun. It's interesting to see a joke takes to this absurd conclussion.

GAME #21: Clicker Heroes (2014)
| Rating: ★★½ | Platform: PC | Developer: Playsaurus |

Idle clicking games are a really interesting subgenre of games. Cookie Clicker, as mentioned above, is a good game with some interesting concepts. Clicker Heroes, on the other side, starts out strong with putting the whole JRPG of the 16-bit era up front. Unfortunatly the game runs thin when the numbers aren't quite there to make it anything interesting. There's nothing clever just competent enough. It's a time-sink in a good way, frustrating towards the end of it. There's nothing to take away from this unlike Cookie Clicker. There's nothing to make it stand-out. Even for an idle game this is boring.

GAME #22: The Order | 1886 (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Ready at Dawn |

Original post

uNq32NSl.png

25. Catlateral Damage (PC)
Played 10 Objective Mode levels in a row, completed the Mewseum and Supermarkat, maxed out a cat's stats.

The concept behind Catlateral Damage is simple: you play a housecat who's decided to knock everything in the house onto the floor. Maybe too simple: though developer Chris Chung squeezes more out of the premise than you might think possible at first glance, Catlateral Damage is best thought of as a toy rather than a game. The game has two modes, Objective Mode and Litterbox Mode. Objective Mode asks you to knock over a certain number of items within a certain period of time, while Litterbox Mode is, as the name implies, a sandbox mode with no limitations.

Every time you finish a house in either mode, you get magically transported to another house, but there's precious little variation in the mechanics or your end goal: knock everything onto the floor. Objective Mode lacks any progression in difficulty, with the number of items needed to meet the goal and the size of the house decided at random every time. The only real change-up is when you find the magic items that unlock the Supermarkat and the Mewseum. These two levels come closest to fulfilling the game's Katamari-like potential. Instead of the usual "knock as much stuff as possible over" goal of the rest of the game, the supermarkat gives you a shopping list of items to knock over, while the mewseum asks you to consider the monetary value of the stuff you're knocking over instead. More levels like these would provide the additional flavour Catlateral Damage needs.

That said, there's a lot Catlateral Damage does right, too. Random events will occur that change the game for a short period of time. Some, like the disco and power outage modes, make things slightly harder for you. Others, like moon gravity, help you out. But the best events are the ones that give you a time-limited minigame, like chasing and pouncing on a mouse or trying to "catch" a laser pointer dot. Even outside the context of events, the game gives you ample opportunity to play like a cat, thanks to the various toys. My favourite, of course, is not technically a cat toy: it's the roll of toilet paper in the bathroom. It's elements like these that make the game feel a bit more like a bonafide cat simulator and lend the game its charm.

If you're looking for a meaty campaign mode, this is definitely not your game. But Catlateral Damage should appeal to anyone who likes the premise and doesn't mind that there's not much more to the game than knocking things over in inventive ways.

Benedict

Updated original post with another game.
Feels like I'm slacking off. Have some games that I never get to finish...

26. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
Finished May 30th, about 20 hrs.
This has to be one of the best iPad games out there.
I've had the game for years on PC but never took the time to play it.
Glad I waited for this version as it is truly a joy to play on a tablet.
Makes you feel like you are looking through a window to another world.
Helps that Dungeon Master on Atari ST is one of my favourite games ever.
No regrets at all paying full price.
Want more of these games on tablets.

donny2112

For next year's thread, what about changing the criteria to # of hours played instead of # of games completed? For me if I'm falling behind in pace, I'm finding myself avoiding long, long games that I want to play, but would put me even further behind pace, if I did. I'm thinking like 300-500 hours of gaming for the year, new or replays. Many newer systems including Steam have game timers built-in, and for older stuff, "close enough" guesses would be fine. I'd be much more enthusiastic about replaying an old game that I poured 100+ hours into originally if it counted for more than 2% of my yearly gaming target...

Anas

Banned
devil_may_cry__dmc__by_capcom.jpg

The game was really a Resident Evil game, there's a lot of similarities between this game and the first and fourth RE, first of all the mansion except this time is more like a castle and second of all the backtracking and the font type when you investigate anything and the most notable thing is.. the camera ! is really impressive what the developer did with this kind of camera, giving us a good action hack and slash game with an okay platforming and the most important that amazing thing when the game become a first person game.. and for the ending is pretty much the same ending of Resident Evil 4 anyone agree?

Devil May Cry HD is the perfect hack and slash game but it's the worst remaster the industry has made.

Original Post

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game #19
X-Men
Arcade, played via MAME(though I also own it on 360 and Android)

God I love this game so much. MY GOAT beat em up and I return to it frequently. Music is good, love that Dazzler is in it. Love the soundbites. Just so so good.

Game #20
Spider-Man
Arcade, played via MAME

Playing a bunch of old Marvel games. This one doesn't hold up so well. It shifts from traditional beat em up to sidescroller every few minutes and it just isn't very good. Disappointment from Sega. Gotta love the cast of characters though. It is so bizarre that Namor and Hawkeye are characters in a Spidey game and the end boss is Doctor Doom. Miss those days when Marvel was much more freewheeling.

mp1990

Banned
#26 Persona 4 Golden

Persona-4-Golden.jpg

Goddamn, this game was FREAKIN AMAZING. When i finished P3 FES, i thought no other game i could play would compare with it, since it was one of the most amazing experiences on the media i ever had, but damn, P4G not only competed with it, it pretty much tied with P3, even though i can't say which one is better yet. The world, music, s. links, even the story i didn't liked that much (mostly because i took too many spoiler before starting it), grew a lot on me, much more than i expected, i loved all the characters, not even a single one of them felt like it was putted on there just for filler, like some characters of P3
yes Ken i'm looking at you
, and the possibility of having s. links with all of them made them fell much more deep. There still some things i didn't liked, and some that were better on P3, but overall P4G is an amazing game, and no one should miss it.

#27 Life is Strange EP. 3

Holy shit, i didn't saw that ending coming ! Don't have too much to add to my former opinions, but this game is getting better and better, can't wait for the next episode.

Original post

CzWziW8l.png

26. Blur (360)
370/450 lights, about 90 of which were scored on Medium and the rest on Easy. All drivers beaten. Reached Fan Level 24.

Blur is a pretty reliable couch multiplayer game. Everyone gets the concept: Mario Kart, but with real cars. For years I've owned Blur and broken it out when a buddy would come over and ask for a good competitive game to kill a few hours, but it's taken until now for me to crack open the career mode. I'd heard that Blur was hard, but the game had engendered a whole lot of goodwill on the strength of its multiplayer.

Unfortunately, career mode doesn't quite reach the heights of Blur's competitive modes. There are two fundamental problems. First, the difficulty levels have huge gulfs between them. Playing on Medium, it was clear by the third or fourth set of races that I was going to have a tough time progressing. The first race of the third set, Fan Favorite, took forever for me to finally climb into first place. By the end of that set, I'd bashed my head into a few more races and finally decided for my own sanity to drop the difficulty to Easy. From that point on, with only a few exceptions, it was smooth sailing.

I only ran one race on both Easy and Medium, so it's entirely possible the game actually got easier later on, but on Medium I could barely manage to stay around the middle of the pack and routinely got shunted, bolted and barged. On Easy, I could open up a huge lead without much difficulty. Even on the final race, only the first half posed any sort of challenge; once I fought to the front of the pack, I was essentially unchallenged. There is so obviously room for a difficulty level between Easy and Medium that I have to wonder what Bizarre Creations was thinking.

The second issue is the various demands each driver asks before they'll let you face them in a one-on-one race. You know the achievements developers came up with early in the 360's lifespan, the obscure, tedious collect-a-thon ones that most people would tell you to forget about unless you were a completionist? Imagine if you had to collect those achievements in order to progress through the campaign. That's essentially Blur in its later races. It's unfortunate because I appreciate the intent behind those challenges--they're somewhat tailored to each driver's style, so one set of challenges will involve racing clean and defensive driving because the driver like to keep above the fray, while another will involve a lot of weapons and kills because that driver is aggressive.

That said, Blur gets it right where it counts: the racing. You can feel the difference between the cars, there's a real sense of speed, and the weapons are well-balanced. What's more, the game rewards finesse. Most weapons require a certain amount of aim to use effectively, and many have secondary modes that are often more useful than the primary one. There's no hit-A-to-drift feature, either; you have to be careful with the handbrake and manage your drift carefully. Blur is far from a sim racer, but it does demand a lot from the driver.

It's unfortunate that Bizarre Creations shut down after Blur, because the fundamentals are sound. All the problems with career mode can be fixed. Sadly, the people behind Blur will never get the chance--at least, not with a sequel to Blur.

Original post

ZHs7qAql.jpg

27. Luna's Wandering Stars (PC)
All levels complete except Uranus 11, because fuck Uranus 11.

I wish I liked Luna's Wandering Stars more than I actually do, because it manages to do more with orbital mechanics than most games of its ilk, including Gravity Ghost from earlier this year. Your goal in every level is to collect asteroids by running into them with the moon (or, in some cases, multiple moons). How you do this changes from planet to planet, which lends Luna's Wandering Stars a great deal of variety.

Mercury, the first planet, is the simplest: you basically give the moon a push in a direction, and hope it's the right one. Venus gives you a certain number of retro-rockets to boost the moon in any direction for a split second. Earth doesn't let you control the moon at all, but instead lets you control the strength of Earth's gravitational pull. And so on and so forth. The wonderful array of gravitational mechanics, along with the game's sometimes-wistful-sometimes-testy sense of humour, lend the game its charm.

If only the game didn't get so difficult. I prefer my puzzle games to challenge me intellectually; Luna's Wandering Stars frequently asks you to make precise movements very quickly. I managed to scrape by many of the later levels, but one eluded my grasp entirely: the 11th level of Uranus, Ring of Fire (I'll wait for you to make the joke). Uranus's mechanic is placing wormholes. It's a fun mechanic when you have time to place both ends, but frequently you have very little time to set up a wormhole. Take too long, and the object you're trying to move will overshoot the opening or exit the wormhole too late to get where it's supposed to go. Ring of Fire has this problem in spades.

Luna's Wandering Stars could definitely use more attention, if only so people smarter and faster than I can put up a YouTube walkthrough of the game. It's a wonderful game to play until frustration sets in, but if you're the type who doesn't mind a little action with their puzzles--or a lot--then give this one a try.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Main post

untitled-1mds48.jpg

Game #19 Heavenly Sword for PS3. Finished the story.

What a difficult start the PS3 had as a console. Difficult architecture to work off of, hard to program for, not every tool or library properly functioning for creation purposes, and so much to work with yet little experience to truly know how to accomplish ambitious goals. Heavenly Sword is a game that is a right example of all of that consoles start with all that it attempted to push and failed to live up to, but was a good example of what to aim for in the future.

Now I'm just not quite sure if Ninja Theory wanted to reinvent third person action games with, got lost with what they knew they could do vs what they found they couldn't, or just a sub-par game no matter what system it had been released for. For what they built and released as a finished game is just a weird mixture of what we had seen in the past from on PS2 and Xbox, made to take advantage of all the new technology the PS3 offered over previous systems such as gyroscopic controls at portions, and odd choices that felt like they were trying to reinvent the wheel for no reason at all.
For the time an impressive amount of enemies in standard battles or scenes that called for cannon balls to destroy as an example, but I never truly felt like the combat was either really that fluid or gripping in order to try out different combos and do better. An interesting idea to control a cannon ball or arrow with the Sixaxis gyroscopic controls, except they didn't handle all that well and lead to some annoyance or settling for "close enough". Odd QTEs that didn't make anything cinematic and rather just removed me from the experience. Poor camera controls since leaning to left or right never aided. Pick up and throw items as a gimmick, rather than emerging as a new mechanic to love. So on and so forth.

Bullet time was a thing and as such slowing down while controlling items thrown was different and unique though. It didn't take me long to get used to it and there were moments where I imagined had things taken a different turn in gaming, a fully realised and refined model of this could be rather common in other types of games. I just struggle to remember much about it here where it was a focus some hours removed from completing the game, both because it wasn't all that great and I was indifferent to it all.
When it came to the puzzles that required throwing, I never quite found the appreciation others seem to when it was new. Prince of Perisa in cleverness this was not.

Story wise I quite liked it's world, it's characters, and the acting that came from it. While yes the problems of story in video games are so very true from that era, it was enough I wanted to know more and let me pass through less than impressive game play.I still love the art that makes of the overall world design, from set pieces to the vistas seen between segments, and for that I applaud Ninja Theory both at the time and still today as that which holds up quite well.

Now I enjoyed the game for what it was, and the combat was open enough to variation that I could keep myself interested in seeing how things worked, even if I never amounted to much, and I liked the pacing of combat to story to odd-combat such as cannon balls. I just can't get past on why Ninja Theory had a competent title, but wanted to make it just different enough when nothing they altered from PS2 style third person action games needed changing to accomplish their goal. I just wanted something better on most every level game play wise, and that's what I walk away from this experience.

untitled-1yvovn.jpg

Game #20 Deathchase for ZX Spectrum. Completed each of the stages in several loops, got high score, and saw as much as I could out of it.

A ZX Spectrum classic that since my childhood I always had long to own and play through after only seeing it at a friend's house. Often called one of the best game for Spectrum, I find in some ways that to be hard to argue with even though it's such a simple idea of a game.
Setting is basic; A mercenary on a motrobike chasing down a blue rider and a yellow rider through a forest with cash prizes for each taken out, while avoiding the dangers of trees one can run into. Nothing else to it, yet for it's time with both it's graphics (for the computer it was on) and the joy I had in accomplishing this goal and not wanting to put it down on working ZX Spectrum hardware (not an emulator).

I raced, chased down, and destroyed all my enemies in a basic never-ending forest of high score action and I loved every second of it. Nostalgia or simple fun I can not say, but I'm glad I played it as much as any title on a modern computer.

Dryk

I have no idea how I'm going to handle the hour count for Splatoon. I guess I'll just call it at some point, but I'll probably end up playing it for way longer than gets recorded in this thread.

For next year's thread, what about changing the criteria to # of hours played instead of # of games completed? For me if I'm falling behind in pace, I'm finding myself avoiding long, long games that I want to play, but would put me even further behind pace, if I did. I'm thinking like 300-500 hours of gaming for the year, new or replays. Many newer systems including Steam have game timers built-in, and for older stuff, "close enough" guesses would be fine. I'd be much more enthusiastic about replaying an old game that I poured 100+ hours into originally if it counted for more than 2% of my yearly gaming target...
While it sucks that it discourages playing longer games, switching to an hour count means that playing the same game all year fulfills the requirements which feels like it's against the spirit of the challenge.

marcincz

Little update:

Game #19 : South Park: The Stick of True
jyecFibm.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ | Platform: X360 | Beaten: 28/05/2015 | Time: 16:40 h

It was my first experience with South Park. I've never watched tv show or played in any other games from SP universe. The game is incredible stupid, but very decent and good - I know it seems strange. However it's the easiest rpg I've ever played.

Original Post

Games 1 - 21 (updated)

20. Trine 2: Complete Edition (PS4) - 30th May - approx. 10 hours
Man... I had a real love/hate relationship with this game. I loved the first Trine (see below) but this one pissed me off so much. I really like the core elements of the gameplay and the audiovisual presentation is perhaps best in class, but a lot of the level design is so bad and the physics are just horrible. The 'puzzles' are shit, and extremely repetitive, and way too many times there's a high ledge which you need to reach, probably by weighing down a pulley or standing on a stream of hot air in order to gain height. I just found it tedious and repetitive and the level design really lets this one down. 6/10

21. Trine: Enchanted Edition (PS4) - 1st June - approx. 7 hours
On the other hand, I loved this game when I first played it six years ago, and I still really like it now. The presentation is superb all around, the level design is straightforward but fun and I really like the balance between the three characters and their different abilities. It's just a beautiful, fun, satisfying game which feels like the closest thing to an actual fairytale adventure I've probably ever played. 8/10

Currently playing: Killzone: Shadow Fall

I have no idea how I'm going to handle the hour count for Splatoon. I guess I'll just call it at some point, but I'll probably end up playing it for way longer than gets recorded in this thread.

While it sucks that it discourages playing longer games, switching to an hour count means that playing the same game all year fulfills the requirements which feels like it's against the spirit of the challenge.

Re: Splatoon, it does have a single-player campaign, right? You could just call it after beating it. Or if you only plan to play multiplayer, call it after 10 hours or so, as per the OP's original suggestion back in 2014? Pretty much up to you, of course.

Re: hours challenge. I agree, but I wouldn't mind seeing, say, a marathon challenge alongside the 52-game challenge. I do think it'll be a lot easier to complete, though. If we set the target at 500 hours, I'm already there. (And to think I was planning to play fewer games this year.)

Dryk

Re: Splatoon, it does have a single-player campaign, right? You could just call it after beating it. Or if you only plan to play multiplayer, call it after 10 hours or so, as per the OP's original suggestion back in 2014? Pretty much up to you, of course.
Yeah I'm just indecisive and it hasn't come up so far this year :p

Main Post

Game 19: Luminosity (7 Hours) 4/5

Very nice Jezzball clone. Fire lasers to subdivide the arena and capture an area. Comes with a campaign and score attack modes in 4 difficulties. Lots of different types of enemies, various ships with differing abilities and copious powerups.

Game 20: Transistor (10 Hours) 3/5

Really wanted to like it more. Fantastic tactical battle system with almost endless variation matched to a middling overly long linear story. Beautiful music and graphics, but I just felt I was getting the same experience as everyone else without any agency on my behalf.

Game 21: Woolfe - The Red Hood Diaries (4 Hours) 3.5/5

Very short, but delightful 2.5D platformer. You play Red Riding Hood intent on avenging the death of your father at the hands of B.B. Woolfe. The world has a certain Dickensian motif to it and one of the later levels could be straight out of America Magee's Alice, but it's very beautifully done. The world does make it a little hard at times to see where you are going and it's full of invisible walls to force you in certain directions and stop you cutting corners where you really should be able to, but there is nothing here really difficult.

The star of the show is the writing and characters. Red is a riot, a cynical, snarky avenging angel and while short, part 2 is supposedly coming soon.

Game 22: Mass Effect (28 Hours) 4.5/5

Probably at least the 10th time I've played it, but first time in a while. Fantastic story-telling, but jeez are the mechanics janky. It was likely nostalgia that has caused me to defend them in the past, but no longer!

Game 23: Mass Effect 2 (33 Hours) 4/5

Greatly improves the mechanics, yet overly simplistic and sacrifices choice and deeper storytelling for more pew-pew.

donny2112

Re: hours challenge. I agree, but I wouldn't mind seeing, say, a marathon challenge alongside the 52-game challenge. I do think it'll be a lot easier to complete, though. If we set the target at 500 hours, I'm already there. (And to think I was planning to play fewer games this year.)

Hmmm.. Can see it from both sides. I play Mario Golf 3DS every week, but I don't still count it for this year, as I counted it last year. What about an option to count really long games as multiple games based on some kind of time increments? On the book side, they allow counting books over 1000 pages as multiple books in 500 page increments, for example.

dcelw540

Game 1:Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Vita) - + 20 hours
I loved this game it was so much fun to play and took me quite some time to finish all the races and reverse but I did it! I would recommend it for vita it worked like a charm and no problems! 8.5/10

Game 2: Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4) - 99 hours
This was quite a good game and loved the characters, I did like making your own character and dragons fights were the bomb digity! I had a few glitches and problems but solid game going in as my first dragon age game. 8/10

Game 3: Alien: Isolation (PS4) - 15 hours
This game looked amazing and was a delight to play. But it's not perfect playing on hard you do get cheap deaths and checkpoint stations are sometimes to far apart. Lastly, the game dragged on way to much and felt like fetch quests over and over. 7/10

Game 4: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round (PS4) - 13 hours
This game was fun and a fighting game with a storymode great! But the story mode made no sense and was a bit to weird for my taste but the gameplay was fun enough to ignore. 7.5/10

Game 5: Bloodborne (PS4) - 36 hours
At first I hated this game but I came through and loved this game! The game design is simply amazing and the gameplay was fun but fair it is my favourite game this year so far! 9.5/10

Game 6: Killzone: Mercenary (Vita) - 10 hours
I love the killzone seires and wanted to play this badly but after two hours I was done with the game. It was not as fun or enjoyable as shadowfall and hearing this is the best story for a killzone game was laughable. Final boss was also terrible. 5/10

Game 7: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4) - 7 hours
So i beat this game in 2014 but I am a trophy maniac so I played through it again on veteran and still an overall good game. It was much better then ghosts and left me excited for the future games of sledgehammer. 8/10

Game 8: DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition (PS4) -10 hours
I cannot say how much I loved this game it was great and the music is really good for the mood. I can't wait for a sequel and hope it comes out soon. 9/10

Game 9: Mortal Kombat X (PS4) - 4 hours
This game's story mode is short but sweet and gives you a taste on what the rest of the cast will play like. I played all the ladders and still enjoy playing this casually. 8/10

Game 10: Rayman Lengends (PS4) - 9 hours
This was way more enjoyable then the last game. It was easier but for a person who is playing alone it was needed and the music levels were amazing shame there weren't many of them. 8/10

NHale

Games 1-12
Games 13-16
Games 17-21

May:

Game 22: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
It was really hard to play this game on consoles considering it didn't look good when it launched and now it looks even worse after playing other games. The game has some nice ideas and it was fun to play except for the insta-stealth failures in some areas. I don't mind those kind of scenes if they make sense but when the stealth is random then insta kills for getting noticed just ends in frustration. Multiplayer is good but it's very hard to find games with a full lobby.

Game 23: Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition
I don't get it. I've increased the difficulty and I still don't get it. My first Diablo experiences leaves me with an impression I just played a cookie clicker mini game for 15 hours. The loot hamster wheel didn't get to me which made me feel like I'm missing something about the game.

Game 24: Murasaki Baby
The puzzles are great and some of the ideas of using the Vita to enhance gameplay is very well done. However motion controls with touch motions is just a recipe for disaster and ended up killing my enjoyment towards the end. Still worth playing it but I feel the game would be a great one if they made a version without touch controls.

Game 25: Hohokum
What? What? What?

Game 26: The Unfinished Swan
For some reason I thought the game would be focused on the white canvas concept but it ended up being something much better and interesting. The majority of the puzzles are very easy but the game is still very enjoyable and with a nice conclusion chapter.

Original post

May/June Update

MKX-KeyArt.jpg

Game 13: Mortal Kombat X (XBONE)- 5 hours
Amazing game all around. Every time I play this I am just amazed at how well done this game is. Everything in this game is a complete upgrade from mk9 (except the characters, no smoke :( ). The story was very cinematic, I can agree that its not as good or as challenging as mk9 but it gets the job done story wise. I really can't complain over this. I haven't played much multiplayer but I never had any problems with its net code.

Batman_Arkham_City_Game_Cover.jpg

Game 14: Batman Arkham City (PC) - 21 hours
After completing the amazing game Arkham Asylum, I needed to play the sequel. I like how the story starts right after the first. I love the voice acting from all the characters. I feelt like I was playing the cartoon. The game tome was arkham aslyum but bigger. Its daunting at first but once you get the hang of it its a huge upgrade from the first game. All the secrets and enemies make this game very enjoyable to play and playing as cat woman adds another dynamic perspective to the story. After the game was finished I went and read the batman comic which ties up the end of the game. Then I went and played Harley Quinns revenge. Rocksteady did a great job with this game again and I am excited to play Arkham Knight. Batman will always be the coolest superhero of DC.

thumbnail-tomb-raider-overflow-4_boxart_wide-280x158.jpg

Game 15: Tomb Raider (PC) - 14 hours
This is not your average tomb raider game where you just get thrown into a tomb and figure out the puzzle. This is different. you are on an island and you cant get off (Lost anyone?) you have to try to save your friends and try to get off. Then things get crazy when you have some cult trying to do a ritual on your friend because her ancestor died there. In this game Lara Croft is basically Rambo, killing everyone and everything in her path. Its a good game for a reboot. I enjoyed playing It. The story was crazy at times but It was good enough. The world is big and open yet kind of linear. There's weapon upgrades and survival upgrades. The game looks really good, the art is fantastic, collectibles are nice to catch, its very cinematic. Its a lot like uncharted but its is own game. Cant wait to see what they do with rise of the tomb raider.

Original post

pthtMpdl.png

28. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4)
Completed on Normal difficulty.

It's been so long. I still remember the long journey of Joel and Ellie, halfway across a country torn apart by disease and distrust, but the memories are dim. I remember some of the highlights, like running across a wandering herd of animals or the harrowing fight that closes the winter season. I also remember the combat, parts of which were intense but also ruthlessly lethal. By the end of The Last of Us, I respected what Naughty Dog had achieved a great deal, and even if the ending didn't sit well with me emotionally, I liked it in spite of that. Those are all things I remember from two years ago, but it's been so long.

Left Behind is a reminder both of Naughty Dog's terrific power and of The Last of Us' ability to strike you dead at a moment's notice. In at least two ways it's unfortunate that the expansion doesn't dispense with the main game's combat entirely. There's not enough of it to make re-learning the various combat systems feel worth your time, but there's more than enough to remind you that clickers can hear you, will always hear you, and will murder you on the spot as soon as they hear you. But it's also unfortunate because there's enough going on in Left Behind that the combat feels secondary.

You're really here for the story, which is split into two parallel tracks. One fills in a particularly large gap in the timeline of The Last of Us, while the other is a flashback to Ellie's life before her run-ins with the Fireflies and with Joel. The second part is where most of the juicy character development is, but jumping between the two stories gives the game its tempo; without the bits set during The Last of Us, Left Behind might be too much of a walking simulator compared to its predecessor. It also provides crucial contrast, reminding you of what Ellie has had to sacrifice in the past to survive to the present day.

Maybe the only issue I have with the story is Riley, your companion throughout most of the expansion. As Ellie's best friend in the past, she's a little too perfect--always with exactly the right things to say, leading Ellie through the game seemingly knowing everything that's about to happen. Nevertheless, the relationship between the two forms a solid core for the rest of the game to form around, and ultimately Riley does the job: she's a character you come to care about in the three hours it takes to finish Left Behind.

Dr. Buni

Original post

YonVAKr.png

Game #35: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

28 hours played. Just beat Shagaru Magala one hour ago and finished the "initial" part of the game. "Initial" because there still are a loooooot of quests to do, the game has an absurd amount of content, but I have zero interest on keep playing it atm.

In short, MH4U is a fantastic game, better than 3U in some aspects, with a lot of content (so if you like and don't get tired of the gameplay, you are up to 200+ of playtime), great music and fun bosses (the new monsters are great). Also, insect glaive is such a great weapon!

Nbz

OP - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145580377&postcount=295

23. Splatoon
[Finished 03/06/15]
While I may have beaten the single player of Splatoon, I'm far from done with the game. The multiplayer is one of the most fun times I've ever had in an online video game, mixing fast paced action with a style of shooter that is completely different than anything before it. It is one of the most mechanically sound games I've ever played and one of the most frantically kinetic experiences in recent memory. The level progression stuff is excellently done, allowing you to spend money on new weapons and customisable pieces of gear very frequently. While there are only a couple of modes and few maps right now, the promise of consistent future updates from Nintendo has me content that I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

LGom09

#19. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) -- May 15 -- 28:01:00 -- ★★★☆☆
Strategy games aren't really my thing, but I can see why this series is so highly regarded. I was a little frustrated by the difficulty of a few chapters, but that made overcoming them all the more rewarding. The favourable shift in power is always a satisfying moment. The story goes for a dark, serious tone, but it doesn't really work because characters are always acting silly and cracking jokes. It's like 999, but not crazy enough to be interesting.

#20. The Unfinished Swan (PS4) -- May 20 -- 2:00:00 -- ★★★☆☆
There seems to be a somewhat common misconception that throwing around balls of paint to reveal the world is the only mechanic in this game. I honestly thought that was the case. Thankfully, it's not just a white void and there are a few different mechanics to mix up the gameplay, but it's all based on throwing things at stuff. It's more of an "experience" kind of game than a puzzle game. Very easy and short, but the storybook presentation is nice.

#21. Bloodborne (PS4) -- June 2 -- 32:06:09 -- ★★★★★
I continue to play this series completely out of order (DaS -> DeS -> BB). Bloodborne is up there with Bayonetta 2 as my game(s) of the generation so far. It has probably the best combat of any action RPG, a beautifully interconnected world, and great boss fights (Demon's Souls still has the best collection of bosses imo). The visuals aren't technically mindblowing or anything but the art direction, attention to detail and richness of atmosphere are all incredible. The game can be genuinely scary at times. Still haven't really touched chalice dungeons. I think I'll be playing this for a while.

Zeranium

Hey, fellow Gaffers

It's been a while, haven't updated since April.
Been slowly chipping away at a few games since then while juggling real life.
Managed to make some progress. A bit too lazy at the moment to add comments and pics for the games I've beaten in the past 2 months but I'll be editing 'em in later.
For now a short list:

April
Game 10.) Shovel Knight (4/10)
Game 11.) Jurrasic Park: The Game (4/14)
Game 12.) Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space (4/20)
Game 13.) Broken Age (4/27)
Game14.) Samurai Warriors 4 (4/29)

May
Game 15.) Under Knight In-Birth Exe:Late (5/12)
Game 16.) Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (5/25)

Original Post

Currently Playing:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Chapter 12
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - Hebijo Academy Chapter 3
Splatoon - Level 8 | Haven't touched Single Player yet
Mario Kart 8 - Just got it

Game 14:

tyE0myM.jpg

Platform: PSX (via PS TV)
Duration: 5:00 on 6/1/15
Thoughts: Completed the game as part of Mega May. The last game I played for Mega May this year. I didn't get a chance to play it the previous year so it was fun to revisit this game. I was super psyched when I played 8 during it's initial first week release. And I'll admit while it was joyous to play, I still have a few nitpicks. Having loading points between the first part and second part of a stage was getting on my nerves. Seeing the Rush dog and its well known adapters not called upon by me was pretty bumming. I mean it's cool to see Rush fly around, dropping energy pellets from the sky but dammit I want to climb on him and fly too. Finally, the voice acting. Still can't decided to this date if it's a negative or a positive experience. Still, MM8 is a fun game however I'm just glad the mainline series didn't stop there.

52 games main post

Enstikto

Neo Member
I usually read on gaf and do not post this much but this challenge interests me and I would like to accept it. I play a lot of games and I usually try to 100% complete their trophies.
I own all the sony consoles. Since Jan 1st I have finished 33 games.
I will start posting them here and update whenever I have more time.
You can check my trophy profile at http://psnprofiles.com/Enstikto

Here we go:

JANUARY GAMES

1. Assassin's Creed Liberation (Vita) (100% + Plat)
Date Completed: Jan 2.
This is a mediocre game to say the least. It was ok I guess for a handheld AC game. The multiplayer though is abysmal: One of the most boring experiences I have ever had with games. The story was ok. In AC games what I was always more interested in was the modern times story and in this game there is none.

2. Dragon Age II (PS3) (100% + Plat)
Date Completed: Jan 2
I understand why many people do not like this game, though I do not share their opinion. Yes, it has copy+paste dungeons etc and a lower scope story but it still is an enjoyable experience. I really liked it. I particularly liked the choice system, dialogue and companion interaction. This is probably the worst bioware game but still it is really enjoyable.

3. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (Vita) (100% + Plat)
Date Completed: Jan 3
An ok brawler. I liked playing through the story with all the characters. I believe it is a bit unbalanced. The multiplayer has a lot of problems. It took a lot of time for me to find matches and usually the people who still play online are veterans in the game. As the more you level up the more damage you do, winning against them is impossible. Bad game design there in my opinion...

4. Watch Dogs (PS4) (100% + Plat)
Date Completed: Jan 10
I had already finished this game since last year but I didn't have the platinum mainly because of the awful drinking game. The game was patched to make the drinking game playable so i platted it. Also, I played the whole bad blood dlc. The dlc's story was ok but the side-missions where really boring. I don't like when side quests are this amount of generic.

5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4) (100%)
Date Completed: Jan 12
This is an incredible game. Powerful story, great "artistic" graphics and it also teaches you a lot about the great war in a not at all boring way. I really liked it and I hope a WW2 version comes out soon...

That's it for January...
For the rest of the month I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition almost exclusively.
I will come back with my completed games for February.

EDIT:

FEBRUARY GAMES

6. Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4) (PLAT)
Date Completed: Feb 8
I played this game almost exclusively for an entire month. I did everything (more than what was needed for the plat obviously). I loved the story, the gameplay and most of the characters (cole was out of place in my opinion - too final fantasy :p ). I played a rogue archer with assassin specialization (my setup in all dragon age games). The open world was terrific and most of the quests were good although it did have a lot of ridiculous fetch quests (save the druffalo!). I had a great time and I would be playing the dlc now if bioware hadn't decided to make it timed exclusive for xbox one. My answer to this move is: Since I can't play it day one I can wait until it gets a reduced price... Timed exclusive dlcs really are the worse...

7. Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4) (100% & PLAT)
Date Completed: Feb 11
It was an ok game. The story was really good, the gameplay not so much. Good atmosphere though. Also, a very easy plat!

8. Rage (PS3) (100% & PLAT)
Date Completed: Feb 20
I had already played the game when it came out 3 years ago but i wanted to get 100% so I had to replay the whole game in the new difficulty. It was mediocre when I played it, even more mediocre nowadays. The shooting was cool, but the story and dialogues.... Man... Dialogue can't get more soulless than this....

9. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Vita) (100% + PLAT)
Date Completed: Feb 27
Most often I like lego games. It has a bit to do with my ocd to get 100% and collect everything. The story of this one was ok (though I am not a big fan of the HP franchise). I found really boring the dueling. Too repetitive for my taste. It was ok for a lego game I guess....

10. The Wolf Among Us (PS4) (100% + PLAT)
Date Completed: Feb 28
I have played all the telltale games and I can say that I am a a fan. This one is my favourite TT game. While not having the most original gameplay TT games make up for it with great story, compelling characters and choices. It is true that the choices do not matter as much as they appear to, but a TT game is most of the time a great experience. I liked this game so much that I read all the fables comics and spin-offs (twau is based on these comics) - that is more than 200+ issues. I recommend it to anyone who wants to experience a great story.

EDIT:
MARCH GAMES

11. Sly 1 (Vita) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Mar 2
I had already played the game on PS3 as part of the HD collection and I had liked it a lot. This is the lesser version in my opinion. I didn't have a really good time playing it, and it took me a lot of time to finish it as I would always prefer to play something else instead. Eventually the ocd kicked in and I needed that 100% so i finished it.

12. Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Mar 5
A very easy platinum but a very mediocre game. I guess it is an ok game for an fps in vita but if you compare it to other great first person shooters it loses by a mile. I think the only resistance game that is consistently good is Resistance 3. \

13. Jurassic Park (Telltale games) (PS3) (100%)
Day Completed all episodes: Mar 7
One of the first more action oriented telltale games. A good story (not great), ok graphics but a lot of frame rate issues. I enjoyed this tale but it never gave me incentive to play it again to make different choices.

14. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishements (PS3) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Mar 12
One of the better adventure games of our time. Love the whole deduction thing and the fact that you can even select the wrong suspect as the culprit. Great story though I wish there was something more connecting the cases together apart from the protagonist.

15. The Order 1886 (PS4) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Mar 14
To be honest I liked this game a a lot. I do believe that it was a bit small in length but I really liked the atmosphere and the graphics (OMG the graphics). The shooting mechanics were done well and the story was quite good, even though when you reach the end you get a cliffhanger and have to wait for the sequel. A big problem with the game were the werewolves. Sorry excuse for a boss fight. The AI acts always the same way. Literally you can finish the werewolf sections by just pressing 2 buttons. Final verdict: an ok game but not worth the full price.

16. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
The worst MK game in recent years. I have completed everything in it apart from the combo challenges. I never was good enough for them or I had the patience. The plat is also unobtainable now as the online servers have closed and there is a trophy for playing an amount of matches online.

APRIL GAMES

17. Fallout 3 (PS3) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Apr 5
I love this game. I had already 100 hours on it on pc when it first came out but I wanted to play it again and with the dlc it was a bit more than that (200 hours total for this game!). The ps3 version though has many, many issues/bugs that spoil the fun.

18. Tearaway (Vita) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Apr 13
Vary fun little game and the game that utilizes the vita features in the best way. Very innovative. I wish it was more adult-oriented though. Still, it is really enjoyable.

19. LittleBigPlanet (Vita) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Apr 13
One of the hardest/most time consuming 100% I have ever done. The levels (particularly the dlc) are very long and that makes them really hard to ace. Also we shouldn't forget about the "24 hours of create" which in order to get I was in create mode while watching tv and moving my finger on screen. Yes, I did this for 24 hours. A real nuance. But the game is pretty good, and the sense of accomplishment that comes with 100% is great.

20. The Last of Us (PS3) (100% + PLAT)
Day Completed: Apr 26
I had already finished the game when it came out and got the plat about a year later. I decided that I wanted 100% though so I played it again in grounded mode. One of the best technically created games and great gameplay. I don't like the ending though and it made me hate the protagonist as a character. I can understand though why the game gets such high praise.

Next Post

FluxWaveZ

Game 9: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare [PS4] — ~7.5 hours (campaign on Regular); 4-5 hours (multiplayer) [Finished: June 4]

JYZPlbU.jpg

I was a bit reluctant to try this out after having gone through the immensely boring experience that was Call of Duty: Ghosts, but I decided to try it out in the end. Starting with the campaign, I selected the "Regular" difficulty as opposed to the more challenging "Hardened" because I really just wanted to see the spectacle this time, without having to go through the tedium of endless, repetitive firefights. I'm realizing more and more that I do not enjoy ducking for cover and popping out to slowly and methodically take out enemies. The campaign was alright. It's not better than the Modern Warfare saga or Black Ops, but it's at least a hell of a lot more interesting than Ghosts, at least. It's predictable and occasionally pretty hammy, and the characters all had bland personalities outside of the main antagonist, whose scenes were probably the highlight of the entire story. There's a character called Gideon who was basically a poor man's Woods from Black Ops, by the way he acted. As opposed to Modern Warfare and Black Ops, Advanced Warfare's ending didn't leave me any interested in knowing where the story would go from there.

I really came around to this game when I played the multiplayer, though. All of the future tech relating to gameplay didn't feel all that meaningful in the single player campaign; it all felt kind of like the other CoD games, really. But the multiplayer is so much different this time around because of the enhanced mobility and abilities the exo suits grant. Exo abilities are a neat little addition granting more customizability, but boosting around and making huge leaps changes the multiplayer dynamic significantly. I only play Free-For-All in these games, and I was reminded just how much fun I have running around, shooting other players. The increased maneuverability in Advanced Warfare made this even more fun. I wouldn't be able to play a Call of Duty game without it after this.

Original post

Gilly

Original Post

Games # 27-52

27. Dragonball Xenoverse - Completed June 4th: approx 20 hours (PS3)
This game is not bad a great template for future dragonball games to come I had alot of fun with it however the last gen (atleast ps3) has some frame rate issues in large battles and the game can get rather grindy with its leveling and repetitive. Still overall quite solid and I can't wait to see what they do next.

28. Sonic Colors - Completed June 4th: 4.5 hours (started 2012) (Wii)
Wow im on a roll 3 games beaten in one day this one was already near completion when i played it today, as far as the game goes its one of the better sonic games it takes away alot of the bs that plagues the other games like their ridiculous plots, stupid characters and just plan bad gameplay. This game on the other hand goes back to Sonics roots its simple, it plays well enough to be enjoyable, its a bit on the short side though wish it could've been a tad longer. Overall decent solid 7 game thats at least worth a play.

29. Sonic the Hedgehog (mega collection) - Completed June 11th: 1 hour (gamecube)
The original game holds up really well and in my opinion the 2nd best in the series (after CD) its a lot of fun and its sense of momentum and gameplay feel very engaging unlike many modern games where there are so many cutscenes, tutorials, and bs they waste your time with you start the game and in 10 seconds your zipping around having fun.

30. Nidhogg - Completed June 21st : 53 minutes (PC)
A fun little game I picked up from the summer sale it reminds me of classic 80's/90's style arcade games which I love. Like these types of games there really isnt a alot of content or substance but the substance thats there is damn good definitely worth a buy at a discounted price but the 15 they ask for is a bit steep.

31. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix - Completed June 22nd : 29 hours (PS3)
I don't know what I think of this game. I both liked it and disliked it many parts were stupid, pointless and needlessly long, or just plain poorly done. While on the other hand thus game has a great sense of charm, fun worlds, some great moments such as when you die on some boss fights Mickey comes in and helps you out when you die. Overal though a massive improvement from the first game and I'm curious and kinda excited to see how they can build upon and improve Kingdom Hearts 3.

32. Megaman 3 - Completed June 27th : 4 Hours (Gamecube)
This game feels very very different than the other megaman games, they seem to throw easy energy tanks at you constantly while at the same time keeping the challenge and with the 4 addition levels where you fight megamans 2 bosses was a welcomed edition. There really isn;t a whole lot to say about this game that hasn't already been said about the other NES megaman games other than how it compares to the others and imo I think it's the best NES megaman game.

33. Infamous - Completed July 2nd : 8.5 hours (PS3)
This game begs for a ps4 remastering this fantastic game is easily the best in the infamous series and is only held back by somewhat muddy graphics and framerate otherwise this is one of my favorite games from last gen and still holds up well from when I initially played it back in 2010.

34. Megaman 8 - Completed July 6th : 4 hours (PS1)
Not sure how to describe this one its an alright game just kinda mediocre megaman game its far to easy compared to the others in the series, the story they attempt to set up feels shoe horned in with no pay off and the game feels much slower paced compared to the nes games overall its still worth a play if your into the series but your time is better spent else where.

35. Pac-Man Adventures in time - Completed July 11th: 2.5 hours (PC)
One of the first games I ever played back after many many years im surprised how much I still remember, and the game itself is pretty good to how ever a little on the short side

36. Megaman X3 - Completed July 15th: 5 Hours (PS1)
This game is imo extremely over looked its one of the better games in the X series and the megaman series as a whole.

37. Super Metroid - Completed July 20th: 4.5 hours (wii virtual console)
wow this game is good, damn good. Makes me want a brand new 2D metroid game but unfortunately with the Nintendo we have thats not happening any time soon :/

38. Catherine - Completed July 25th 12.5 hours (PS3)
On the surface Catherine is a game that seems like pure otaku nonsense but inside is a deep puzzle game and an exciting story which keeps the adrenaline high and provides some great fun I'm glad I decided to give this game a chance it ended up being one of my favorites.

39. Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures - Completed July 30th : 6.5 hours (PS3)
Ehh what can I say the cartoon is a guilty pleasure of mine and the easy platinum helps as well.

Currently Playing
Metal Gear Solid
Link to the Past

9PSmHf9.png

5h-ish. Now this is more like it. This is the first Kairo game I ever bought and it oozes classic Kairosoft charm. Under a layer of false simplicity, Cafeteria Nipponica it's a pretty deep restaurant simulator, easy to "complete" (read: survive 15 years) but hard to "beat".

Updated OP

Labadal

Game 24: Dragon Age: Inquisition - 107 hours
PS4

I'd say that around 15-20 of those hours were me being away from the game while operations were being done. Posted my brief thoughts on the game in the game's OT.

Game 25: inFAMOUS: First Light - 6 hours
PS4

I liked this more than Second Son. While there is only one type of power, I liked the side activities, despite them being repeated over and over. The races were fun, arena challenges were fun and getting to the neon lumens was also fun. A shorter and more tight experience than the adventures of Delsin.

CengizMan

qSCEHJ8.jpg

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Duration played: 19:20

Allwright. So I played this game YEARS ago on the Nintendo DS. After I played Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, I reallly wanted to revisit this series. Just then there was a big sale on the 3DS eShop and I decided to get Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies.

The game was, even though I spent like 20 hours to complete it, easier than I remembered. Then again, I was maybe 14 years old when I was playing it back then. I could not remember that the game was so structured. I mean, in the sense of characters that really go "Hmm, maybe you should go to this character now!" or "Hmm, maybe I should show this evidence and then he will talk!"

Really enjoyable game with funny dialogue, cool story (especially Rise from the Ashes) and awesome gameplay. The cast of characters is really good and the music. Oh man, the music. So good.

Oddly enough, now I feel like playing more Danganronpa.

(Original post with list of completed games.)

Anas

Banned
Why? I wanted to buy it soon.

This HD Collection is pretty much a bad example for the word High Definition,
most of the cut-scenes in this three games is still SD cut-scenes with black bars, you'll see some dropping from 720p to 360p

and for the " HD " cutscenes.. it still have a lot of textures and pixels from the original game, There's a great examples of HD Remastering like: Kingdom Hearts 1.5, Sly Collection etc.. but this collection is not.

I wish I played the PS2 versions in time @_@

Big ass update as I've been dead since February and now decided to rise again. Halfway through the year, but I'm not quitting on this challenge yet!

Game 9: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) - Hours Played: 22:46 - Finished April 13th

All I can say is wow. I didn’t know what to expect while I was getting into the game, so I believed the GAF hype … and I was not let down.The concept of the game is very interesting; 15 students are trapped into their new school and the only way they can escape is by killing another student and managing to get away with it during the class trial for the murder. You collect clues, put what you know together, then engage in heated debates with your classmates in an attempt to find the murderer. At the same time you seek a way out of the school and try to uncover the mysteries behind the situation and who’s orchestrating the entire thing. This is really hard to write about without spoiling anything … even though I found out who the mastermind was before the last trial, the ending was still glorious
especially when the main theme starts playing as you start beating her at her own game
! The crazy train started since the first trial and it never stopped. I got pretty hooked, it's unlike any other game that I've played. Minigames aside, there's practically zero difficulty in this game so it all boils down to the story, as it should. I didn't much bother with the post-game content. Taka was the best character in there, Byakuya a close second.
What a fucking tragedy for Taka.
I liked it so much that as soon as I finished it I went online and bought Danganronpa 2 from amazon. 10/10

Game 10: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita) - Hours Played: 28:47 - Finished April 26th

... which brings us to the second game! The concept is pretty much the same again: students are stranded on a strange island and can only escape by participating in that sadistic killing game. Monokuma's back (and his English VA is as glorious as ever), as does a weird rabbit called Monomi, claiming she's on your side... I have to say that I didn't like some of the characters at first (Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko I just wanted to roundhouse-kick in the face). Even though they eventually grew on me and I sympathized with everyone, I feel that I liked the cast of Danganronpa 1 more. I also liked the setting better in the first game; a deserted, barricaded school instills more urgency to escape than some sunny island. That being said, this game destroys the first one in terms of cases and trials. Even the first trial is more complex and mind-bending than the later stuff in Danganronpa 1. Case # 5 was probably the best one in the series, just so cleverly done
(fucking Nagito)
. They also dialed up the crazy; it became so out-of-this-world crazy by the final case that I could just not believe what was going on in my vita screen. Also, that ending sequence. I felt like jumping and screaming
with joy
. I really think Spike Chunsoft outdid themselves on that one. The only bad thing about Danganronpa is that now there's nothing to play! Until Another Episode is out, anyway. 10/10

Game 11: 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (DS) - Hours Played: Approximately 18 - Finished May 26th

After being told that Danganronpa is like Zero Escape x Phoenix Wright, I had to start the Zero Escape series. About time, too. So, nine people are trapped in what seems to be a huge ship, and a mysterious figure named Zero orders them to play the 'nonary game' in order to escape. You solve puzzles and make decisions that may impact the course of the story. Unlike Danganronpa, the madness does not set into the game until you're close to the (true) ending. But, as Danganronpa's story is linear, I welcomed the different ways that the story branched depending on your actions - most of them ended with you being killed but whatever. This game is like an avalanche; it starts slow, but by the time it gets rolling there's no stopping it. Again, I really wanted to know who was behind this situation, why where these 9 people chosen or simply what the hell was going on, so I played more or less non-stop. I was still not prepared for the true ending ... now I understand why people say this is the best DS game.
And it ends on a cliffhanger! Sorta. Maybe it's time for Virtue's Last Reward?
9/10

Game 12: Mega Man 3 (3DS Virtual Console) - Hours Played: 5:41 - Finished May 29th

Last summer I bought MM 1 through 6 on a whim when they were on sale, then decided to beat them in order. 1 and 2 were finished last year so I'm starting with 3. You know what you're getting with classic Mega Man - tough as nails platforming 'n' shooting and hectic boss fights. This game introduces a few big MM staples like the slide, Rush and Protoman. Personally I don't see what's so great about the slide and just used it as a trusty evasion technique when fighting a robot master. The help of Rush however is a plus. Shadow Man and Snake Man were my favorite robot masters. I feel like the stage design is a bit tighter this time around (more than MM 2 and much more than MM 1) so I had overall more fun. You get to battle the MM 2 bosses too! I think this game nails the middle mark between too easy and frustratingly difficult and it's my favorite Mega Man game so far. 8/10

Game 13: Mega Man 4 (3DS Virtual Console) - Hours Played: 4:28 - Finished May 30th

A solid entry in the Mega Man series. Once again it's pretty standard platforming and shooting with the occasional annoying boss fight. The big change here is the Mega Buster (charged shot) which admittedly makes the game a bit easier than the previous three. I mostly used it for the robot masters instead of exploiting their weaknesses. I also liked how we got essentially two Wily Castles instead of one (except the first one was called Cossack's Citadel - yeah these games are trying to shoehorn a story in, it's hilarious). We also get the introduction of the Wily Capsule as the final boss! Other than that, not much to say about this one. Skull Man and Pharaoh Man = best robot masters. 7/10

Game 14: Mega Man 5 (3DS Virtual Console) - Hours Played: 4:17 - Finished June 4th

This will remain in my memory as the Mega Man game where you jet ski. Where did that come from? This game is on par with Mega Man 4, though I like it a tiny bit better because of cool stages like Star Man's stage and Gravity Man's stage, which made for some interesting platforming. We get two Wily Castles again, the first one called Proto Man's Castle. This is where the difficulty starts getting dumbed down; the game practically showers you with lives and the robot masters have a very predictable attack pattern (shoot projectiles, walk a bit, jump towards Mega Man, repeat). Still didn't stop Napalm Man and Gravity Man from being my favorite robot masters here. Overall I liked the stages better than 4 but less than 3. 7/10

Game 15: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) - Hours Played: 13:22 - Finished June 5th

I had this on Wii but for some reason it never clicked with me. I decided to go portable and boy was that a good decision. Without exaggeration, this is the best platformer I've played in the last ten years. Hats off to Retro. Having finished NSMB 2 not too long ago, the difference is striking; DKCR is leagues above. To start with, every stage has its' own unique theme, whether it is rising lava, spiders chasing you or ship cannons shooting at you from a distance. The first couple of worlds didn't impress me that much (that might be why I dropped the Wii version after a while), but World 3 and onwards? The child within me awoke and I grinned like an idiot all the way to the end, because Retro reminded me what platforming bliss feels like. Except that I didn't grin all the way through; I also screamed FUCK a million times and wanted to fling my 3ds to the nearest wall (I didn't!). This game is tough. Getting all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces make it even more difficult. I'm currently sitting at a 82% completion, with most K levels done. The levels are hard but you want to keep coming back and play them because they manage to be super fun at the same time. It's a strangely blissful masochism. My only gripe is that the control scheme is still stupid (choose between circle pad to move or L/R to roll ... is custom configuration too hard to think of or something?) and Donkey Kong sometimes feels somewhat weird to control. Other than that though, this game (and by extension, this port) is excellent, pure fun. 9/10

Game 16: Mega Man 6 (3DS Virtual Console) - Hours Played: 2:47 - Finished June 5th

The final NES Mega Man game. I blazed through it in a single day. I really don't see why we needed a sixth game when it's so similar to its predecessors. Up to this point everything is saturated and it's clear that the developers had run out of steam. Jet Mega Man was a nice touch but it made bottomless pits very easy to avoid. Mega Buster takes care of everything. It has 2 Wily Castles again (one called Mr X's Castle) but it's all standard platforming and shooting that you've seen in Mega Man 1 - 5. It's not easy by any means, but after a while everything becomes predictable. I don't think I have any favorite robot masters here... Stage design is on par with Mega Man 4, i.e. it's good but doesn't stand out from the other Mega Man games. Maybe I got burnt on NES Mega Man, but I think this is the weakest entry for me. 6/10

---

(For those interested in a NES MM ranking: 3 = 2 > 5 > 4 = 1 > 6)

Next up: I will probably tackle some of my unfinished 3DS Virtual Console games. Steam backlog is looking good, I just need to beat some Sonic games.

Today's XSEED localization announcements got me very excited, so a Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky playthrough is imminent. But I also want to try Lunar and I have the first three Final Fantasy games in the pipeline ... fuck RPGs take a while.

Original Post

GLuigi

Game #26: Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix (PS3) - 31 Hours
Yup, this game is still as fun as I remember it being, visiting fun worlds and just slashing every enemy they throw at you. Although I forgot how slow the beginning of the game was. It also feels weird to not have a dodge roll in this game (Although Final mix gives you the ability for one of your drives after you level up your drives a bit). I only got through some of the extra bosses that Final Mix adds, but the ones I fought were pretty fun and challenging. Anyways, im really excited that I will be playing Birth By Sleep pretty soon.

Game #27: Murdered: Soul Suspect (PC) - 9 Hours
This game just oozes out mediocrity, it seemed like this game had potential to be good but falls flat on most of its features. First of all i really like the environment of this game, having buildings from the past meshing with today's buildings in the ghost world made the main hub area interesting. At first it seems like there is nothing much to do in the hub area, but it is jam-packed with collectibles with some interesting info attached to them. This game is more of a "enjoy the ride" kind of game where anything you do in the game is simple enough and doesn't require much though. The stealth sections felt sluggish and I felt the QTE stuff was unnecessary. I couldn't care for most of the story, but it does have some nice twists near the end. Its a game worth playing when its on sale, I'm really glad i didn't pay full price for it.

Original Post

Right Now: I will be starting KH: Birth By Sleep soon, but I want to get some games from my Steam backlog out of the way. Might do one of the games from the Dreamcast collection, Broken Age, or Mafia II next.

EDIT: Game #28: Space Channel 5: Part 2 (PC) - 2 Hours
I thought this would be a walk in the park, but boy was I wrong. Having a rhythm game mixed with a complex form of "Simon Says" felt like it was going to be a bad time for me, but I felt that the difficulty curve was pretty generous. Later in the game you will also get some visual cues for long combos which i found crucially helpful. Its a short game, but it is packed with some fun moments.

Game #29: Jurassic Park: The Game (PC) - 7 Hours
I put this off for the longest time because of all the bad reviews it got, but its actually not that bad. Not great, but its still enjoyable.

The game could of used more puzzles in it. There were only about 3-4 puzzles in the entire game that required some thinking. All the other puzzles only consist of the player just clicking on things until an event happens. QTEs in this game were just poorly executed. Some of them go by too quickly, causing the player to always fail on their first try. Although,seeing the different death screens for failing them is really amusing. Getting achievements for perfect runs requires memorizing the whole sequence. There are other QTE segments where they show you the prompt ahead of time, but you can't press the key until the prompts signals you to. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of QTEs

The story is a-okay. If it weren't for the fact that the game takes place during and after the events of the first Jurassic Park movie, it would of been a typical average survival story. Its worth checking out for any Jurassic Park fan, just wait for a sale.

Right Now:Finally starting on KH: Birth by Sleep, and going to pick up and start on Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy later today.

Synth

Original Post

Forza Motorsport 5

Criteria: Achieved gold in all events.
Time played: ~150 hours.

This one was a long time coming. Despite lacking some of the variety of Forza 4, Forza Motorsport 5 is easily the best racing game available for console this gen imo. Looking forward to what Forza Motorspot 6 brings, and only hope that in gaining rain and nighttime racing, we don't lose the rock solid 60fps performance that only Turn 10 seems to appreciate the importance of for this type of racer.

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Game #40: Code Name S.T.E.A.M.: 30.9 hours
I'm left wondering how history will remember this game. It's really good, but two design decisions have turned a lot of people off (and the one that's a fair criticism has already been fixed). That and the graphics, but I think that was overblown too because they fit the setting and hardware really well.

Lots of options going into a level, which is great. Some enemies are a giant pain in the arse but there's usually strategies that can kill them easily. Also I restarted missions a lot once I'd seen the layout of the level and I could pick a better set of units. Unit balance is pretty good, a few people are pretty situational but they're all interesting except for one that's just awful.

Alrighty time for an update I think.

15. Bloodborne

I really enjoyed this game. The fast paced combat made the game feel fresh compared to Souls, though I do feel it made the game a bit easy and many of the boss fights feel somewhat the same. The atmosphere was absolutely nailed and felt really dark and oppressive, but as someone that can't handle horror well maybe that was a negative for me haha.
9/10

16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

My first Castlevania game thanks to the Bloodstained kickstarter! I feel it was a really well put together Metroidvania, and the interconnected castle had a really good design and flow to it. That said, the combat was fairly average imo, and it was way too difficult to actually dodge many attacks and I felt I had to pretty much tank a lot of them if I was ever going to get any damage in, though it's fairly old so maybe the GBA/DS games improved on that.
8/10

17. Splatoon

Oh my god I love this game. Everything about the controls just feels so satisfying to play. The shooting, the aiming, swimming in your ink and up walls, super jumps, using your super. I could go on and on about this game.
The single player campaign was also nothing to scoff at, and was no way a tacked on campaign to a multiplayer game. The final boss was fantastic in its own right.
While I've 'beaten' the game for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to be playing this one for months I think. My GOTY so far.
10/10

With only 17 games down with it already being June, I'm not liking my chances. Though I have a few short games I want to get around to soon so maybe I'll get back on track.

For reference:
1. Danganronpa 2 (platinum)
2. Gravity Rush (platinum)
3. Flower
4. Ico
5. God of War (platinum)
6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Uncharted 3
8. God of War 2 (platinum)
9. inFamous: First Light (platinum)
10. Resogun (platinum)
11. 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
12. Rhythm Heaven
13. Dark Souls (platinum)
14. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Blurry15

Part 1

4) Bloodborne - (Start date: 4/9/15 End Date: 6/7/15)

bloodborne_0.jpg

What is there to say about this game? In a few words it would be, "One of my new favorites of all time." In a lot of words it would be as follows:

Bloodborne is an amazing game that takes the similar control scheme from previous Souls games and gives it a touch of difference to it. It's like a Souls game that watched games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta growing up and saying, "I want to be like them while staying true to my roots." And thus the beautiful majesty that is Bloodborne was made. The grim feel of the entire game is oddly beautiful and the further you go in the game the more amazing and extravagant the world becomes and that just made me feel giddy! It was like the first time I played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I was so in love with the world that I just wanted to keep playing to see more of said world. The enemies, the locations, the secrets, I wanted to see it all! And that is how I felt playing through Bloodborne. I wanted to see all these places I have yet to see, collect all the weapons I had yet to find, and fight the bosses I had yet to come across. I was always on the edge of my seat wanting to see more and experience more. This for me is a big deal because as of late I have noticed my quick loss of interest in games (while I acknowledge they are good.) that just lose me after the first 3-4 hours. This was the first game in maybe a year that I could not wait to keep playing. Even after beating it I still want to play it over again (NG+!!!!) because the controls just help you immerse yourself so much. You feel such good control of your character that any and all times you die or get hit, you do not blame the game but say "damnit, I should have done this or that." You want to improve and you feel yourself improve. It is one of the greatest feelings you get from playing Video Games and Bloodborne delivers that.

5)Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles - (Start Date: 6/8/15 End Date: 6/10/15)

castlevania-dracula-x-chronicles-32607242.jpg

After being on a Bloodborne high I decided to do something that felt somewhat similar. I had always wanted to beat this game so I went back to play it. Lo and behold playing Bloodborne somehow made me appreciate this game more. The precise movements needed to be able to make it through a level unscathed is tough but when you accomplish it it is oh so satisfying. The bosses I found to be tough until I payed close attention to their patterns. After learning their attacks it is possible to many time kill most bosses with 1 or 2 or no hits really. I'm not saying it is easy but it is definitely doable. The game is tough but fair and the levels are super interesting with the fact that you can go through the levels and often find something you missed the time before. The levels are filled with little secrets you can find and many times have 2 different ways of ending a level which can lead to a different level than the first one you went through it. Over all I really loved my experience with this game and the sense of accomplishment and in a way a sense of strength that you feel from getting better and better at a level. Like Bloodborne, I look forward to playing this again. 9/10 would play again!

6)Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - (Start Date: 3/12/15 End Date: 6/21/15)

hotline-miami-2.jpg

I loved the first game so I looked forward to playing this. The verdict? I love this game I found it more difficult than the first one and maybe because of that I felt it was longer but despite some people feeling the game was hard in the wrong way, I think it was done well and the more open areas makes you try to react faster. Super trippy and infinitely better music than the first one. The first one had great music but this one beats it many times over. It is a shame that the only way to buy the OST digitally is through Steam from what I know.

7)Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - (Start Date: 6/21/15 End Date: 6/21/15)

ana.jpg

8)Injustice: Gods Among Us - (Start Date: 4/21/15 End Date: 6/21/15)

1_injustice_gods_among_us.jpg

9) Transistor - (Start Date: 2/23/15 End Date: 6/22/15)

Transistor_Wallpaper.jpg

Oh my god this game is amazing. A turn-based/action rpg game where you level up and gain new powers and eventually decide what your favorite or prefered loadout is. Decide what your main atttacks are, what secondary upgrades you want to add to those attacks, and what passives you want to have. This game has depth. And the story, man the story takes you for quite the ride. You slowly learn more about the world and about your character Red and the antagonist group The Camerata. The game feels like a sci-fi/art Deco-ish style type of game with amzing music that is slightly jazzy and mellow. The music always perfectly sets the mood for each scene. The gameplay is super interesting and possibly a first of its kind that I have experienced in my long years playing games that handles the mesh of action and turn-based rpg in such a manor. Major recommendations for this game. That final boss though... So good!

Original post

WVnPDLAl.jpg

29. World in Conflict (PC)
Completed on Normal difficulty.

All the talk about Fallout 4 got me to re-examine a game I'd enjoyed but fell just short of finishing. But it wasn't Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Instead, I finally returned to the game I was playing just before Fallout 3 obliterated all my free time: World in Conflict, a real-time strategy game set in an alternate 1989 where the Soviet Union is ascendant. War rages across Europe, and the Soviets have their eyes on America as well. As the game begins, a fleet of container ships docks in Seattle only to reveal an entire battalion of Russian armor and troops. The Soviet invasion of the United States has begun.

Several games have taken on the Red Dawn scenario, most notably Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Homefront. But World in Conflict is much more grounded. There's no shock imagery of the White House under siege, no depictions of mass graves or people being shot in the street by North Koreans. Instead, we see Washington state troops slowly being pushed back by Russian forces, trying to retreat in as orderly a fashion as possible while licking their wounds and thinking of counterattack.

World in Conflict feels like the last gasp of a genre that once held much greater significance, but is nowadays reduced largely to Starcraft. The in-engine cutscenes are surprisingly good for a 2007 game, and the storytelling is good at not only highlighting the desperation of your commanders, but also the inner lives of your comrades. The game looks great, even if it's a little dated now, and you can see money being thrown around if you look closely--Alec Baldwin narrates the intermission loading screens, and the soundtrack includes Tears for Fears, Whitesnake and (oddly, since they didn't exist in 1989) Audioslave. I'm not sure what Activision was hoping to do with World in Conflict, but they and Massive Entertainment definitely gave it the ol' college try.

It has neither the traditional base-building model of Starcraft and Command and Conquer nor the real-time tactics model espoused by Relic's Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series. Instead, World in Conflict plays out largely like traditional RTSes but you replenish your forces via reinforcement supply drops. Because there's a cap on your available forces, you'll never be able to overpower your enemy; smart tactics and careful planning are what's needed to get you through. It plays really well and challenged me quite a bit; my only real complaint, besides some bullshit objectives, is that missions routinely feel like they have one twist too many. On several occasions, you'll think your job is done, only for the game to throw just one more objective at you. Missions often extend well into the 40-minute range.

World in Conflict is the kind of game we rarely get nowadays: a big-budget RTS. Definitely worth hunting down if you've never played it.

Synth

Original Post

Mortal Kombat X

Criteria: Complete story mode.
Time played: 4 hours.

Wow this was short... It was good overall, but I definitely think MK9 had a better story. I'm always somewhat torn on how fighting game stories should be delivered. On one hand games like Street Fighter with their typical Intro+Ending for each character feels like there's nowhere near enough world building, and no real sense of timeline. On the other hand, you have stuff like Mortal Kombat, where the overall presentation of the story is far more effective, but the actual playing through it suffers because it's just rapidly dropping different characters on you, who you have no idea how to play as. Typically this just results in me quickly checking the command list, picking out 2 or 3 special moves, and a couple of strings, and playing some of the dryest matches the world has ever seen. Maybe next time a Mortal Kombat game hits, I'll avoid the story mode initially until I've played it enough to have a basic grounding in most of the cast. It would probably be more enjoyable that way.

Also, why the hell do I need to unlock different Fatalities? That's just stupid...

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Game #41: Splatoon: 14.9 hours
I'm going to get this out of the way first. In the end what made me decide to put down the game for now was me getting fucking sick of the online ecosystem. Today was a public holiday in Australia so I got experience the laggy arse global matchmaking system in all its glory. I also had a string of Splat Zone team problems where I would be stuck with the one useless player and the other team would get the guy capable of winning a match by himself 9/10 times and the lag didn't help. I'm sick of it, I'll come back to it later. Nintendo you disabled voice-chat to improve the online experience but the online experience is still shit. I also wish you'd add signal strength indicators to your online games so I can tell if it's my connection or not. Ugh.

Now that the rant's out of the way, what did I think of Splatoon? It's great. Music's great, sound effects are great, the weapons all feel satisfying to use. Single-player is pretty unique, the final boss is amazing. The game has charm out the wazoo, making you want to spend time in the hub even though you don't need to. It definitely has it's problems though. My biggest gripe would be that changing your loadout or accessing the options menu can only be done from the main hub for no reason, meaning you have to leave your lobby or the single-player to change anything. Another problem I have (that's partially on me) is the controls. The sensitivities are different for each axis with no way to change it which should be fixed, but I also can't quite get to grips with the motion controls, which are really necessary to compete. I'm often finding myself trying to use the sticks to aim when motion would suffice but I have to stand still to focus on aiming to be able to get my hands to use them. That one's on me though.

Looking forward to jumping back in in a few weeks or something. Hopefully the online is still healthy enough that my gripes haven't gotten even worse in my absence.

WM1U49H.png

17:39h. All Boos caught and all special stages completed, most gems found (got tired of looking for them). This game started really strong, but dragged towards the end, probably because of the somewhat repetitive gameplay. It's still a very charming game, and still a graphical showcase today.

While it's not a survival horror by any means, it can get surprisingly moody and there are a couple of legitimately spooky jumpscares! It's maybe the darkest non-RPG Mario game.

Updated OP

Original post

dqfthTLl.jpg

30. Oozi: Earth Adventure (PC)
Completed on Easy difficulty, all secret stars collected.

A perfectly competent, well-executed platformer with cute art. It doesn't break any molds or subvert any genre conventions, but it's very enjoyable for what it is. The only thing is that even though the game takes place across four episodes (originally released individually on Xbox Live Indie Games), the gameplay changes only marginally between episodes. The level design shows a certain amount of copypasta as well. Occasionally you'll stumble into an area and wonder if you've somehow backtracked to a previous portion of the episode.

The three-hit bosses at the end of each episode are a nice change of pace from the rest of the game, but can devolve into tedium if you have trouble getting past any of the stages. This isn't really a problem until you get to the final boss, which requires you to exploit one of the less reliable mechanics in the game, resulting in a lot of repetition of the trivial half of the fight. It might only be a minute or two each time, but that time adds up, especially when your whole game is under four hours.

For the most part, though, Oozi's a fun game to play, and it's easy to jump in and hammer out a few levels if you've only got a few minutes to spare. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the highlights of the early Xbox 360 XBIG wave.

abqO6Hs.png

5h-ish. My first thought when I tried MM was "Wow, another GDS clone. And a stinker to boot" and I was fearing Kairosoft had lost its touch. But then the town sim and scouting elements kicked in and I realized this game was a quite enjoyable medley of several classic Kairo game styles.

If I have one gripe with the game it's that its probably the easiest Kairo game I've ever beat. Not even 15 years had passed and I had already earned several Grand Prizes, and not even once I ran out of money, while Cafeteria Nipponica had me in the red almost every time it was time to pay the staff.

Updated OP

Saw this thread on the front page, decided I might as well throw my hat in, even 6 months into the year. Be warned, since I wasn't planning on joining the thread when I started, I don't have dates or accurate times for my games thus far.

1. Spyro the Dragon [original PS1 disc played on a PS3] ~4-5 hrs
61v4CXiLksL._SX300_.jpg

A game/series that I grew up with and have always loved, I know it like the back of my hand at this point so it was a really quick finish. 100% complete, all gems, dragons, and eggs obtained.
10/10, everyone should play the first 3 games in this franchise.

2. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill [PC] ~19 hrs (completed 4/15/2015)
hqdefault.jpg

An amusing little arcade-style game, if entirely gimmicky. Glad they had the original version as well, without the typing. 100% complete, all achievements, all in-game collectibles in both modes.
6/10, a straightforward arcade rail-shooter, with some amusingly 70's dialogue and plot cliches.

3. The Ultimate DOOM [splitting Doom Classic Complete on the PS3 into each seperate game] ~6 hrs(?)
latest

Again, a replay of a game I grew up with, though I'm playing the PS3 version now for trophies. Every level 100%ed on Ultra-Violence, 100% kills, items, and secrets. Also, fuck 100%ing E4M1 on Ultra-Violence, one of the hardest goddamn things ever.
10/10 - still holds up as one of the best shooters of all time.

4. Ratchet: Deadlocked [PS3] ~30 hrs(?)
deadlocked_side.jpg

100% completed, all trophies, all weapons at lvl. 99, game beaten, then beaten again in Challenge mode, all weapons/mods/bot upgrades purchased, all skill points. Still farming nanotech up to the 999 max, but that's going to take ages, and I consider the game beaten at this point.
7/10 - lost a lot of the platforming/adventuring charm of the first three games, but still had some good shooting and Insomniac's patented absurd sci-fi story/characters.

5. Toy Soldiers [PC] ~14 hrs (completed 2/20/2015)
Toy_Soldiers_%28video_game%29.jpg

A game that I started in order to achievement hunt for GFWL, and ended up liking quite a bit. It's short and simple, but has a lot of soul and is certainly fun. Obtained the highest rank on every mission, completed both campaigns on Hard, obtained all the GFWL achievements, and found all the collectibles.
9/10 - A simple, yet fun tower defense game, certainly recommend it.

6. Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends [PC] ~47 hrs (completed 1/25/2015)

This game is fucking awful. I'm not even giving it an image on this list, that's how bad. Arbitrarily long, grindy, with some pretty bad car sim controls and beautifully cheap AI. Played through on Hard, got all the GFWL achievements.
2/10 - Don't buy it if you like car sims, don't buy it if you like racing games, don't buy it if you like video games at all.

7. Puzzle Agent [PC] ~3 hrs (4/20/2015)
header.jpg

One day, I was scrolling through my Steam library and noticed I owned both this game and its sequel. On a whim I booted it up, started playing, and I don't regret that decision one bit. A very charming puzzle game/point-and-click with a very odd somewhat-Lovecraftian plot. I enjoyed my time with it, though the puzzles were generally extremely easy. Beat every puzzle for maximum rank.
10/10 - A very interesting puzzle game if you're looking to kill a few hours (or a few creepy gnomes).

8. Operation Flashpoint: Red River [PC] ~30 hrs (2/22/2015)
Operation_Flashpoint_Red_River_Game_Cover.jpg

Not a very good game. It says that its trying to be a middle ground between ARMA and Call of Duty, but it fails spectacularly. The accuracy of guns is only slightly better than CS:GO to begin with, and only gets somewhat better as you "level up". The enemy AI can utterly destroy you, as you're made of cardboard, whereas they can take some serious punishment (comparatively). They know where you are at all times and have godlike reflexes. They have better accuracy, and can headshot you across the map with ease. They can remain accurate while being shot, whereas your screen wobbles and you can't aim at all. Your allied AI are completely brain-dead, and they love getting stuck, not healing you when you've been downed, and not shooting at enemies right up in their face. I earned all the GFWL achievements, reached max level and stats, and completed every mission on hard.
3/10 - An incompetent arcade shooter at best, a completely awful combat sim at worst.

9. Grand Theft Auto III [PC] ~31 hrs (completed 5/4/2015)
GTA3boxcover.jpg

This year, I've decided to catch up on the 3D GTA series. I've beaten GTA IV, but I've only played a little bit of each of the other ones, and I feel its time to rectify that. I started with....well, the start, GTA III. I was surprised at some of the quality that was present in the game, such as weather, considering the game's age. I loved some of the more arcade-y aspects of the games, such as unlocking weapon drops/police bribes outside your hideouts (which weren't in the other games to my displeasure). The plot felt a bit misguided, like they were making it up as they went along, compared to the more coherent plots of the following games, but I enjoyed it regardless. I completely 100%ed the game, collected everything, etc.
7.5/10 - While some of the controls and graphics feel dated, the core of the game is still very much intact.

10. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [PC] ~27 hrs (completed 5/13/2015)
Vice-city-cover.jpg

Continuing from the last game, I jumped straight into Vice City and really hammered it out. Despite having more content than GTA III, I finished it quicker, now being very familiar with the older controls and play style. Absolutely adored this game's Scarface based plot, as well as the larger map and significant gameplay additions (purchaseable safehouses, assets, and most importantly, the inclusion of motorcycles). This is where I really began to see the pitfalls of GTA IV as well, since this decade-old game seemed to have more content than it did.
8.5/10 - While the antiquated controls hold it back a bit, it fixes the vast majority of the issues GTA III had, and makes it a memorable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom