• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

There we actually people angry SE dared to take the same time as Nintendo and scuffed at the idea SE had anything worth looking at all all this year.

All Nintendo did was prove they didn't deserve the time slot at all. Getting real close to selling my 3DS now.

Draxal

There we actually people angry SE dared to take the same time as Nintendo ans scuffed at the idea SE had anything worth looking at all all this year.

All Nintendo did was prove they didn't deserve the time slot at all. Getting real close to selling my 3DS now.

3ds is still fine, yokai watch can carry the 3ds by itself this winter.

The Wii U situation is completely dire.

Man, people still pushing that idea even now? They have good exclusives for sure, but people overhyped the hell of that...

No, they didn't. The Wii U kills (killed?) it in first party exclusives. Not even an argument, imo. PS4 and XB1 are very, very slow on that front, and honestly, both consoles are still incredibly lacking in that area. They are essentially completely held up by third parties, which isn't bad, but you are really underrating Nintendo's exclusive/first party output if you believe that.

but people overhyped the hell of that...

Overhyped compared to, what, exactly? Another "cinematic" experience that LOOKS good pre-release but when people get around to playing it and the gameplay is inevitably disappointing?

Nintendo is a great video game company because they prioritize fun before anything else, not trying to be the next citizen kane of video gaming(And ALWAYS failing). :/

I would say that this conference is a clue that the NX is coming sooner than 2017.

Because people keep forgetting this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150217qa/02.html

Satoru Iwata said:
It is natural that we would like to earn an incremental profit from each new business we start. As for the QOL business, we expect it to contribute to the company’s profits in some way in the fiscal year ending March 2017. However, you cannot expect a company that has been making all of its revenue from the video game business to suddenly turn out half of its revenue through the QOL business in just one year. This kind of change requires several years. Our goal of the fiscal year ending March 2017 will be to make the video game business robust. If our software were not receiving high evaluations from both professional reviewers and consumers, our ability to create marketable products and services itself must be questioned. However, since this is not the case, and our products are receiving high scores but are still not selling as expected, there is much to be done in the way we incorporate aspects into our products that sell themselves, and in the way we communicate with consumers to promote and sell our products. And that is the area we are going to focus on. From this perspective, I give first priority to the improvement of our core business. In addition, I envision added profits from our new businesses and then eventually we will be able to achieve Nintendo-like profits. That is all I can tell you today.

Iwata's goal is to turn around NCL's video game business by the end of the fiscal year ending in March 2017. That goal may or may not be realistic, but it makes little to no sense if NX isn't launching until the following fiscal year.

Subba

Unconfirmed Member
There we actually people angry SE dared to take the same time as Nintendo and scuffed at the idea SE had anything worth looking at all all this year.

3DS had some good games shown though. You can't go wrong with new entries in the FE and M&L series. Plus the new Zelda title could end up being the best game of the digital event.

edit: And Youkai too

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
What should be more alarming is that projects that could work on a WiiU scale would be appropriate on an NX scale, whatever that means. Read: NX will not be a big jump.

Arkam

There was Star Fox, Animal Party game. They also focused on Mario Maker. You telling me these are not Wii U games now?

Forgot Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Fatal Frame and the other half dozen great looking games that are already announced and coming in the next 12 months. WiiU is far from dead. Just clearly on the down slope. People need to enjoy the ride ;)

Hiltz

How quickly we forget that last year's Direct was awesome.

They had a dud this year because their content this year is underwhelming. Last year they revealed Zelda, they had Smash and Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 and other stuff.

Like last year, Nintendo focused a lot on older game announcements, but this year had mostly smaller-scale spin-off game announcements. which didn't stack up well against the big titles Nintendo at E3 2014 ranging from Zelda and Splatoon to Mario Maker.

The only thing I would have added to your summary:

Drop Star Fox 2 (SNES) on VC right after the Digital Event. It wouldn't have even mattered if people hated the rest of the presentation, because they still would have lost their collective minds, and it would have been a nice chaser after Earthbound Zero.

There was Star Fox, Animal Party game. They also focused on Mario Maker. You telling me these are not Wii U games now?
Star Fox looked super rough.

Animal Crossing Amiibo game isn't a proper game. Don't be ridiculous.

Mario Maker has been beat to death at this point. It's also a game people will tire of really fast.

They have nothing to show and their most complete looking game (Yoshi's Wooly World) doesn't even come out until October. People have every right to question Nintendo.

Well, I expected nothing.

So I am not disapointed.

Except the Metroid on 3DS. And the skylanders collab. The starfox that doesn't look very cool. Mario everywhere. And Mario again.

No, it was a crappy nintendo E3 after all.

Griss

I thought we all knew the Wii U was bleeding out? Why is this a surprise?

It's not a surprise, but the reality of seeing terrible sales translate into a lack of games and a quick death is still a slap in the face when it happens.

If the games themselves looked fine people wouldn't be this mad.

That's the key point to take away from this. The newly revealed games they showed looked really, really ropey.

As a Nintendo fan, what were you truly expecting from this E3?

My expectations were low, but at a minimum I expected one big new game for the Wii U as a send-off, and further VC announcements or a remaster to paper over the Wii U cracks. As it was I think the only newly revealed Wii U games were Mario Tennis and a weird AC Amiibo plaza game that doesn't even reach Mario Party levels of gameplay. That's terrible.

As for the 3DS, I thought we might get a sequel to one of the popular franchise games like we are with Fire Emblem. I didn't think we'd get a suite of horrible looking spinoffs that hold no appeal.

Basically I wasn't expecting Nintendo to twist their franchises into things that don't appeal at all to fans of those franchises. That's the most disappointing thing. That Metroid game... Currently standing at 1k likes to 10k dislikes on Youtube.

MrBadger

Nintendo were the same time as they are every year though, weren't they? Even though they had a mediocre presentation, they shouldn't have to be the one to reschedule because Square wants to do theirs at the same time.

JaseMath

Hyperbole much? If EA wasn't booed with the Pele circlejerk nobody will be booed at an E3 conference.

I have no idea what this means. I do know that Nintendo sucked this year and I would've walked out of the auditorium. What's new on the horizon that I have to look forward to (other than Star Fox) if I don't own a 3DS?

People are totally overreacting to Nintendo's conference lol. They don't have much right now. I'm not sure what there is to learn from.

tbh they have a lot of nice games comming compared to last year.

we just knew about xenoblade, mario maker, yoshi, fatal frame, devils third for a long time and animal crossing and mario tennis dont look immidiately compelling. starfox looks amazing though.

DataGhost

Forgot Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Fatal Frame and the other half dozen great looking games that are already announced and coming in the next 12 months. WiiU is far from dead. Just clearly on the down slope. People need to enjoy the ride ;)

Yeah, I was here and there with the conference but these are also Wii U games. They were already announced yeah, but these are Wii U games. Going to have to agree with you that it is a down slope and I expected as much.

EDarkness

I would say that this conference is a clue that the NX is coming sooner than 2017.

That was my take away as well. They don't even need to have a ton of software available if they can get some third parties to actually try and release some stuff to fill gaps. If the system is powerful, then they can go that angle while they work on getting new software finished. My impression is that they're gearing up to release NX late next year.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That is good. Honestly, after initially having a huge meltdown over this terrible conference, I have been thinking and somewhat changed my mind.

If you look at the lineups this year, and compare for instance Sony (the clear E3-winner) and Nintendo (the clear E3-looser), what you will see is that Nintendos lineup easily surpass Sony if you keep multiplats out - which most people do when comparing this stuff. Still Sony absolutely destroyed Nintendo with its conference. Why is that? Surely, this shows how important PR is in all of this, and the biggest difference in PR that the two does, is not the live conference/pre-recorded but the fact that Sony shows everything they have going for the next three years, while Nintendo focuses on the next year. This huge difference, means that Sonys show looked packed with quality - but almost nothing of it comes out this year - while Nintendos looks incredibly underwhelming - but on the other hand all of it is scheduled to come out before next E3.

So my suggestion for Nintendos next E3-conference, which Iwata seriosly should learn from if he wants forum warriors and doritos/journos to talk positively about Nintendo next year is simply to show every game they have. Either if its coming out soon, next year or only in preproduction. No developer interviews, no humour. Only games, games, games, and show everything so that they look as strong as possible. This will not change the daily life of us gamers - but it will change the perception going out of E3.

Shiggy

No, they didn't. The Wii U kills (killed?) it in first party exclusives. Not even an argument, imo. PS4 and XB1 are very, very slow on that front, and honestly, both consoles are still incredibly lacking in that area. They are essentially completely held up by third parties, which isn't bad, but you are really underrating Nintendo's exclusive/first party output if you believe that.

Since when do people look at 1st party titles only instead of the entire lineup?

Really hoping Nintendo's mobile games will be more worthwhile than what they have revealed today. Usually their smaller titles are great, so I'm hopeful.

So, I kind of do want a Wii U for Mario Maker, but the whole thing was dull. I'm over handheld games, so their dedication to them was rather dull for me. StarFox Zero sounds like a reimagining of Lylatwars, which was a reimagining of Starwing and they've added in the SF2 features back into it. It was Star Fox though, so I'm not going to say I wasn't excited, but it's a little uninspired and seems an odd thing to get Platinum developing.

Metroid is supposed to envoke feels of isolation and fear, so here's this multiplayer shooter.

Zelda is a cut down Four Swords with a loose reason for only being 3 players.

Animal Crossing x Mario Party is built around Amiibos.

The only third party mentioned was the ability to use Amiibos in Skylanders.

Nintendo pulled an EA on their franchises.

Mory Dunz

That holy timeslot. What treasures it bringeth?

but really people are stil upset over the slot thing?...lol

Astral Dog

Nintendo could go from E3 to focus on their digital events through the year, is this what you mean? because it would not be a bad idea imo, we already have a lot of new, important titles on Directs so they should attend E3 mostly for platform announcements, depending on E3 damages their image.

tumblr_nq1ppc0xVq1qkz08qo2_400.gif

I liked the presentation itself, even if the things they were presenting were not what I wanted.

Draxal

Since when do people look at 1st party titles only instead of the entire lineup?

Really hoping Nintendo's mobile games will be more worthwhile than what they have revealed today. Usually their smaller titles are great, so I'm hopeful.

When you go two systems, they do. I think most Wii U owners also own either a one or ps4 at this point ( I own a 4 myself).

DataGhost

Star Fox looked super rough.

Animal Crossing Amiibo game isn't a proper game. Don't be ridiculous.

Mario Maker has been beat to death at this point. It's also a game people will tire of really fast.

They have nothing to show and their most complete looking game (Yoshi's Wooly World) doesn't even come out until October. People have every right to question Nintendo.

They explained that Star Fox was rough because of having it appear both on the pad and the TV.

Agreed on the Animal Crossing game but Amiibo is printing money. Someone mentioned earlier E3 is the time for business.

They have to hype one of their probable last few games on the Wii U, especially one of a beloved franchise.

Don't understand what you mean by they have nothing to show.

thefro

But no matter what they do, releasing NX in 2017 dooms it. It's the middle of the gen, assuming a 5-year cycle the next Xbox and PS5 launch in 2019, meaning NX would be two years behind them tech-wise. So do they lose whatever audience they gained to the real next-gen hype? Or do they abandon NX after already abandoning Wii U and lose that audience anway?

Releasing early is a short-term solution, not a long-term solution. Nintendo should dig into their savings and weather this out until the actual next gen starts so that they can be competitive while also having the benefit of having not abandoned their audience twice.

Since the NX is a family of platforms, they release a new model NX with better specs when Sony/Microsoft release the PS5/XB4.

It's the equivalent to Apple releasing a new IPhone.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
They announced a total of zero single player Wii U games.

Also some people are angry bout Starfox's graphics I guess.

I mean, those two (especially AC) are incredibly disappointing, and nothing interesting was shown that wasn't also at last E3. When it wasn't frustrating it was a snooze fest.
Well the cause of all these is that the Wii U is dead. It no longer justified full console development, and only briefly did in its lifespan. I guess a lot of people must've been in denial about this. But I didn't even blink when it turned out the system was only getting Animal Crossing Fortune Street because it's not even worthy of a carbon copy mainline game anymore.

TheJoRu

But no matter what they do, releasing NX in 2017 dooms it. It's the middle of the gen, assuming a 5-year cycle the next Xbox and PS5 launch in 2019, meaning NX would be two years behind them tech-wise. So do they lose whatever audience they gained to the actual next-gen hype? Or do they abandon NX after already abandoning Wii U and lose that audience anway?

Releasing early is a short-term solution, not a long-term solution. Long-term, it's lose-lose. Nintendo should dig into their savings and weather this out until the actual next gen starts so that they can be competitive while also having the benefit of having not abandoned their audience twice.

If you think Nintendo is planning on trying to woo tech-savvy Xbox One/PS4-owners with the NX my personal belief is you're in for a shock come 2016.

Red Devil

I'm a Nintendo fan and that pic sums up my thoughts pretty well.

I'm a Nintendo fan and while it wasn't groundbreaking by any means I think this thread is flooding with hyperbole.

Smash couldn't have saved this. The only things that could have were a Wii U Metroid Prime like 1&2 and a Wii U Paper Mario like Thousand Year Door.

And there was no reason to expect any of that other than wishful thinking.

Trago

Because people keep forgetting this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150217qa/02.html

Iwata's goal is to turn around NCL's video game business by the end of the fiscal year ending in March 2017. That goal may or may not be realistic, but it makes little to no sense if NX isn't launching until the following fiscal year.

That's pretty much my thinking as well. I guess their partnership with DeNA, their mobile games strategy, and the lack of newly announced Wii U games implies that they are definitely shifting focus to NX.

The next year is gonna be critical for them.

Top Bottom