• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

Yeah, it's a good start (even if it doesn't appeal to me personally. My personal preferences aren't the point here).

They need to do more, and probably do more fast, for two reasons:

1) They are running out of time. I don't mean they're running out of money, but if they have another Wii U like generation with the NX, they may just lose so much mindshare that their existence will be forgotten to all but the most ardent of fans. Marketshare isn't the most important statistic, but it's not completely irrelevant, either. There is threshold which becomes almost impossible to recover from if you are marginalized enough.

2) Particularly with networking and third parties, they're chasing a moving target. It isn't as if Microsoft and Sony are standing still. They can't just get better, they need to go fast enough to also catch up.

Also all totally true.

Honestly, I think the most likely outcome is that NX proves to be too little, too late given the immensity of the market forces arrayed against them, it fails, and that Nintendo exits the hardware business and becomes a software and IP licensing company not too long thereafter. But NCL is making enough of the right noises that maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe they could succeed. Somehow.

I kind of feel that this is a given. I don't think Nintendo will reveal a next gen console in a ND or a Digital Event. Too risky

You can't overestimate Nintendo though. I could see them somehow rationalize doing a Direct/Digital Event as a reveal. But you're right, if the Hyrule Warriors leak was any indication, pre-recorded content could be leaked before the digital event so doing it live is the only way to 100% control the message.

Alienous

I want to know their excuse for no Zelda Wii U. Was it just because of it being a 2016 game?

They had nothing else to make up for its absence.

Banned
You know the lineup itself wouldn't be that bad if Nintendo had third party support. I mean the quantity of exclusives is up there with Sony and Microsoft but the third party support is nill. Imagine filling in the software gaps with Fallout 4, AC: Syndicate, Call of Duty, FIFA, Arkham Knight, etc.

The Lamp

Why can't they just admit that to them, E3 is no more important than any other Nintendo Direct every couple months?

E3 2013 was an anomaly, it seems. Before that, E3 2010 was also pretty epic but that was before the adventure of Nintendo E3 presentations being online-only.

EDIT: I just remembered, their 2012 E3 show was also rather disappointing. I don't think they announced a single new thing there, did they?

Were you asleep last year?

How quickly we forget that last year's Direct was awesome.

They had a dud this year because their content this year is underwhelming. Last year they revealed Zelda, they had Smash and Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 and other stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They worked hard to keep people's expectations in check this year. They've been telling us that the big announcements will be in 2016. With all that in mind, I thought it was fine. This is the last year they have to ride out solely on the 3DS/Wii U before they really start pushing towards the next gen console, mobile, and more.

JaseMath

Man that's heartbreaking. :(

But, had it been a live event, they very well could've been boo'd out of the building. It was a very, very poor showing from Nintendo, especially in the face of what MS and Sony did yesterday.

Sandfox

You can't overestimate Nintendo though. I could see them somehow rationalize doing a Direct/Digital Event as a reveal. But you're right, if the Hyrule Warriors leak was any indication, pre-recorded content could be leaked before the digital event so doing it live is the only way to 100% control the message.

That's not really true since trailers can leak regardless.

DataGhost

Sure.....at the APPROPRIATE time not during a 50 minute E3 presentation.

What's wrong with it during a 50 minute E3 presentation? I don't get your rationale for thinking this. For the other conferences, people come up and talk about their games. Just because Nintendo didn't have a ton of content game wise, what's wrong with including developer commentary and why do you think it's an inapproriate time?

They had a dud this year because their content this year is underwhelming. Last year they revealed Zelda, they had Smash and Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 and other stuff.
But they had Smash this year and showed it beforehand! And they withheld Zelda for whatever reason.

That really depends since they won't have 3DS to save or possibly even develop for anymore at that point in time. I could see it going either way.

The NX will launch in 2016 come hell or high water. It's very evident that Nintendo has moved all of their resources to it, and they cannot wait until 2017 while their primary revenue streams dry up.

Personaly, what saddens me the most is people saying this is alright/acceptable since competitors had not much to show either. Boy do I wish my Wii U was doomed to the same empty future of the PS4.

That really depends since they won't have 3DS to save or possibly even develop for anymore at that point in time. I could see it going either way.

Maybe, but they do have mobile to do, now. And let's not forget about whatever QOL is (it's fucking nothing).

There were parts that were certainly over self-serving and congratulating, but the majority of the games they showed, I'm genuinely excited about. Peoples reactions to Star fox remind me of the reactions to SM3DW (which doesn't mean it won't end up bad, I'm just not ready to really pass judgement yet). My only genuine disappointment is that we didn't hear anything about what Retro is working on.

Also the muppets killed me.

Ryu couldn't even make it to the Smash direct without getting screens leaked first

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

This!

I felt like I was in 2004-2006 seeing Mario spin-offs, Metroid Prime Hunters, Four Swords game(well three swords), Star Fox, party games, rare but surprising collaborations with 3rd parties, etc.

Pillville

Since Sony can get away with gaining massive hype on 2017 games, Nintendo will join the party

Just because this argument worked well in the Nintendo thread, doesn't mean it will here in the open.

Sony did show 2017 games, and 2016 games, and 2015 games, and 3rd party games, .....

Riposte

Man that's heartbreaking. :(

But, had it been a live event, they very well could've been boo'd out of the building. It was a very, very poor showing from Nintendo, especially in the face of what MS and Sony did yesterday.

I agree, but it wasn't a live event. Their live event is going now.

This whole problem (I mean aside from Nintendo being in a hard position when it comes to games in the first place) is the "hype train" not being an good match with what Nintendo is trying to do in the first place. Neiteio big fancy write-up is the correct way to go about things if that's what they are aiming for, but they aren't. If they were, they would have a 1/4 of the Nintendo Directs they do now. Nintendo has less overall content to show than everyone else, but they "give away" more stuff throughout the year anyway.

What's wrong with it during a 50 minute E3 presentation? I don't get your rationale for thinking this. For the other conferences, people come up and talk about their games. Just because Nintendo didn't have a ton of content game wise, what's wrong with including developer commentary and why do you think it's an inapproriate time?

With such a small window they need to make announcements and demonstrate why exactly people should pay attention to Nintendo and purchase their products. When you've already lost so much marketshare and people leaving in droves boring people with stories about how Yoshis wolly world was created and killing time is probably not the smartest thing.

The shift in the mood since the Super Mario Maker NWC finale two (two!) days ago is astonishing.

Oh, yes. It's kind of entertaining how people are swearing off Nintendo, the NX, and/or all the now/future games. I wonder how many of those will stick to that when the next games/console(s) come around.

No lie, though, the NWC was hype. This DE was...not so much. Nintendo isn't always going to nail it. It happens, with every video game company.

last year was incredible, including the amazing treehouse stuff but this year has in my opinion been nintendo's worst ever, even worse than the wii music disaster.
Nothing worth watching, no new wii u games and worst of all presented horribly.
It's so strange after such an mazing digital event last year to see this one be so bad.
I'm left with yoshi wooly world in a weeks time for wii u and then it's over for me until the NX next christmas, i'm struggling to keep this up with nintendo.

How about having yoshi developer commentary which you already had at last years e3? the amount of padding and repetition in this event was crazy.
they literally spent 3/4 of it showing old footage, old trailers and old news.

lewisgone

I'm surprised they acknowledged this so swiftly. I guess the negative reaction must be really apparent. Those YouTube dislikes are dire. For me, the event was disappointing in quite a few aspects...the Metroid and Animal Crossing franchises are going in directions I'm not fond of (Animal Crossing spin-offs I'm fine with, but the lack of a Wii U AC while we get a board game seemingly purely designed to justify a new amiibo lineup is pretty disappointing).

What is very strange to me was the large amount of time dedicated to developer stories, when Nintendo famously last year had one of the best post-E3 streams with constant interesting info. That would have been a much better time to show stuff like that. It's upsetting in a way since the negative reaction might mean we don't see many stories from developers in the future from Nintendo. That stuff is fascinating to me but the Digital Event was not the platform for it. Games like Fatal Frame, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, even Devil's Third getting shown for just a short amount of time would have given off a better impression. Even Super Mario Maker's representation didn't really highlight how great the level maker was. This Mario celebration theme would have been better suited to a Micro Direct or a post-show E3 show. It's a shame that what was quite a sweet idea for celebrating Mario's history is now tied to such a negatively received event. On it's own, I think the idea would have been well-received.

It could have been better but not much better, with Nintendo seemingly focusing largely on NX development, if the majority of games being announced reusing assets/engines is anything to go by.

The still not traditional Paper Mario announcement is what upsets me the most. I'm not sure why they don't understand what people want from the series yet. :/

NotLiquid

Nintendo should know better than anyone that game development is slow. Yet they constantly underestimate how long it takes. It's baffling. They're not strapped for cash, and it's not as if more games wouldn't make them more money.

The Wii U launched at least a year later than it should have (I'd say 2) and it still had a sparse launch lineup, and its release schedule has more gaps than games.

The Wii U, by the way, was rumored in 2010, announced in 2011 (and shown at E3), but didn't launch until 2012.

On that timeline, the NX won't launch in 2016. It'll be late 2017.

I feel like they'll have to gun for a 2016 in order to just generally be in the race of making profits... but 2017 sounds like the most realistic release year honestly.

When 2017 rolls around the next 3D Mario will have been in development for at least four years which is the average time of developing new 3D Mario iterations. Roughly same goes for whatever Retro is developing next and even so they've been said to be able to handle multiple projects which means they've probably had something in the pipeline for even longer. Zelda will, again, probably be not until late in the NX's life. The EAD 2 team that worked on Splatoon will probably have enough time to come out with a solid release window for a sequel.

2017 makes the most sense for the NX since they can maximize the launch window with new games that make it an appealing investment. It also gives Nintendo enough time to mull things over in regards of online accounts, third party relationships, hardware and so forth. They need to take as many notes as possible.

I don't see those things taking up enough resources to be an issue, especially when both seem to be heavily partnership based.

We'll see. I would be inclined to agree, but we could've said nearly the same thing about the N64 / GB, Gamecube / GBA, Wii / DS, and Wii U / 3DS. They've not learned in 20+ years, and let's be honest: it's quite possible that they'll prioritize mobile over the NX. They've always prioritized Japan over the rest of the world, and handhelds over consoles. Prioritizing mobile would just be more of that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wish I could go back in time and shake everyone and point to what sticking with carts in the 64 era would mean. I mean, this is how this plays out. It all starts there.

:(

d00d3n

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

Listen to this poster, Iwata.

J-Rzez

Honestly they need to do something drastic already. They need all their suits to step down first. Next, they need to man up and I know it's a sensitive subject, but it's time for them to go 3rd party. Just focus on what they're good at, the games. They can not compete hardware wise. Look what they did with the Wii U, releasing a console around parity to consoles that were being replaced in a year or two. They can't woo over 3rd parties because of this situation, in part. Finally, they need to understand the world is a scary but beautiful place, there's good and bad people out there. This ignorance to connected games has to stop which I believe that bad people thing could be a cop-out, and they just don't have smart enough people to deliver a proper online experience.

Just sucks to see a childhood hero fall so hard into obscurity.

Angry Fork

I've disliked Nintendo since the Wii but even I want them to get back on their feet now. I'd love to see the developer of my childhood favorites come back but it just hasn't happened. It's kind of sad honestly. I wish they'd go back to N64-style games, a more open/explorable Mario, an open world Donkey Kong, stuff like that. I just can't be excited for $50 six hour long side scrolling games anymore when Fallout/Elder Scrolls exist.

E3 2012 was the Wii U software unveiling year. Pikmin, Nintendoland, NSMBU. It was a bad show, but there was a lot of new stuff.

Aaaah yeah you're right. I think I was stuck on the 3DS side of the show, which was indeed rehash central.

Still, other than Pikmin, the other two weren't good reveals. While both games did end up good, there was no hype for either of them. In fact, Nintendo Land was notorious for leaving a bad first impression due to all of the mini-game compilations already being hyped for Wii-U. No one expected the final product to wind up being one of the best mini-game collections of all time. :p

The still not traditional Paper Mario announcement is what upsets me the most. I'm not sure why they don't understand what people want from the series yet. :/

I was literally playing TTYD last night, thinking that somehow that would result in a Paper Mario Wii-u announcement. I was planning to get to the end of Chapter 2, but I decided to quit right before it, instead.

So as a result, I got half a damn Paper Mario game. I need to play harder.

Tadie

I think Iwata, Reggy and co. are really doing a bad job. They dont't listen to the fans. No idea why so many people love them.

Wish I could go back in time and shake everyone and point to what sticking with carts in the 64 era would mean. I mean, this is how this plays out. It all starts there.

:(

They've had every opportunity to break that chain since then. They've made every possible mistake on the 3rd party front, time after time. Honestly, I'm not sure their situation now would be much different had the N64 been disc-based.

Oregano

I kind of feel that this is a given. I don't think Nintendo will reveal a next gen console in a ND or a Digital Event. Too risky

Next year's January direct will be the NX reveal and it will have an accompanying press event. I would almost be willing to put money on it.

We'll see. I would be inclined to agree, but we could've said nearly the same thing about the N64 / GB, Gamecube / GBA, Wii / DS, and Wii U / 3DS. They've not learned in 20+ years, and let's be honest: it's quite possible that they'll prioritize mobile over the NX. They've always prioritized Japan over the rest of the world, and handhelds over consoles. Prioritizing mobile would just be more of that.

For now Mobile is only 5 games through 2017. Could change in the future but for now that's what we're talking.

Top Bottom