• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

Neiteio

I love Neiteio's scenario, all except for the idea that they'd shorten the Mario & Luigi stuff.
The reason for that is to help mitigate the sting for those expecting a Mario RPG on WiiU. Let the post-show coverage go into more detail on Paper Jam, but keep it short(er) in the Digital Event. My scenario tries to keep the ball rolling where fan expectations might be dashed.

bennu

Neo Member
The amount of people saying this is the end for the wiiu or Zelda is moving to NX is astounding. Almost every Nintendo internal team put a game out in the last year, how the hell were they supposed to have another game ready for e3? it has nothing to do with NX, to which we do not even know if it is definitively if it is a wiiu replacement. And the people saying Zelda is for NX considering that they won't show it til around e3 next year and won't most likely launch til holiday 2017 I find it hard to believe they would delay Zelda 2 years. Christ, I'm not saying this conference is amazing or apologizing for Nintendo I'm just asking people to use their brains but I know it's the internet do I can't expect much.

d00d3n

Wasn't there a rumor about Nintendo unveiling big third party deals at e3? I guess that turned out to be wrong.

Zero148

you have to respect Nintendo for showing the next months as they are (with actual gameplay), no make up (announcements for games in the far future) to produce hype like everyone else does. The problem is the lack of third party support, so it looks pretty barren.

The presentation was bad too, The games themselfes are actually fine and all look like fun experiences.

they should start to do CG teasers for 2018 games when they reveal the NX next year. Sadly this is what the audience wants, they want to get hyped

Majestad

Banned
The puppet stuff was great and had a lot of personality. The problem was the pacing and the announcements. Stuff like developer stories should be content AFTER the main event. The digital presentation should be entirely focused on new games or games that we don't know much about. Xenoblade and Yoshi are great looking, but we have already seen enough from those two. Mario Maker looks amazing, but the NWC was enough to make us know we will buy it. The biggest announcement was Star Fox, but the section showcased wasn't that appealing.

It seems like there's a Nintendo E3 cycle. Sometimes they kill it, like in 2010 or last year, but then other times they seem to drop the ball completely and forget everything that made their best E3 presentations the best.

I really hope Nintendo releases a good Nintendo Direct in like 2 months with content that will keep people excited about the WiiU.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Why are they bothering with a new console smh at this point it won't do better than the PS4 and the wii like phenomenon sailed years ago. At this point they should refocus on portables with tv connection, but mainly portables.
Focusing too much on portables is part of the problem. They can afford to do more with Wii U, they just don't want to face the opportunity cost / risk. For me they have broken a kind of unspoken covenant between platform holder and loyal customer: those of us who readily believe in their talent. This tells me Nintendo will leave you swinging in the breeze unless their platform sees crazy sales. And the last years of the Wii tell me that even that doesn't guarantee continued support or a sincere effort to avoid launch droughts.

As I say. Trust. Gone.

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

Makes too much sense. You need 20 minutes of Miyamoto talking about world 1-1 in the middle for Nintendo to do it.

MLH

Why are they bothering with a new console smh at this point it won't do better than the PS4 and the wii like phenomenon sailed years ago. At this point they should refocus on portables with tv connection, but mainly portables.

Nintendo are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Home consoles are popular in the west but Nintendo brand isn't and consoles are dead in Japan. Handhelds are popular in Japan but loosing ground to mobile and remains unpopular/ undesirable to western gamers. What do they do? Having two ever complicated devices has stretched them thin, even Sony has given up their second platform, in favour of solely supporting PS4 (funny to see such heavy Japanese support for them, despite Japanese sales - guess publishers are relying on western sales).

Well I do agree with you on their next console, if they can't show 3rd party support, and greater volume of first party for their next console then we'll have another Wii U on our hands; amazing games surrounded with with long software droughts. I don't see why anyone should invest in it with other options on the market.

because you can also buy other consoles?

Kinsei

Banned
you have to respect Nintendo for showing the next months as they are (with actual gameplay), no make up (announcements for games in the far future) to produce hype like everyone else does. The problem is the lack of third party support, so it looks pretty barren.

The presentation was bad too, The games themselfes are actually fine and all look like fun experiences.

they should start to do CG teasers for 2018 games when they reveal the NX next year. Sadly this is what the audience wants, they want to get hyped

If the games themselves looked fine people wouldn't be this mad.

The direct was certainly disappointing but it certainly isn't as offensive as a lot of people seem to say it is. A lot of the games looked like fun and the Wii U holiday lineup of Star Fox, Xenoblade, Mario Maker and Mario Tennis this holiday is solid enough.

The lack of new content was the biggest problem really, and it makes sense when you consider they didn't talk about mobile or NX where a large amount of resources are likely being spent right now. Still, Nintendo should of waited to show off the Smash DLC til today and had a trailer for Zelda even if it wasn't on the show floor. Had they done that I think people would of been a lot more positive.

slapnuts

Since Sony can get away with gaining massive hype on 2017 games, Nintendo will join the party

Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, Dreams, Street Fighter V,etc,etc along with some others not even mentioned. I would call that pretty fucking awesome, dude.

Lets keep it real bro...Nintendo had a terrible offering this E3, wish it would of been better after playing Splatoon but facts are facts and yes it sucks but N has to step it up.

Astral Dog

No.
He said announced.

lol they shoud've just shown Pokken and said "2016". Or Zelda again. Or Retro's thing even if it's far away
Does it matter if it's not coming out soon?

When is KH coming out. FF7? Does it matter. Just show junk.
But then what will they show when they announce the NX? isnt that much more important?

SykoTech

Neat.

Hopefully they have a better offering next time, especially in terms of console games. All I recall the Wii U getting was Mario Tennis and Mario Animal Crossing Party.

EDIT: Oh, and the Skylanders crossover, if that was a new game. Yeesh.

Their issues are mostly structural to me. It isn't some specific franchise I want. Here is what I want:

1) Better networking in all regards. I am not the first to say this. They are apparently so incompetent at this that they had to farm these duties out to DeNA. I have no idea why this is so hard, because networking is one of the most commoditized properties in the electronic device world.

2) They made enormous quantities of money last generation; I want to see that translate in to new investments. More studios, more experiments, more ideas. Instead, gamers are getting the same old things they've always gotten. Not that Mario and Zelda are bad, but surely the money they made last generation can buy something. Nintendo could easily have the largest first party by leaps and bounds, given how dramatically more successful their first party IP are. Instead, Sony continues to outspend them.

3) Figure out their third party situation. I'm putting this in a very particular way for a reason: if they can't get EA and Take 2 et. al on board, fine. Figure out how to get indies on board more profoundly, and make Nintendo the place for indies, out from under the shade of the big bad publishers who dominate Playstation and Xbox. If they can't do that, then figure out how to convert the mobile developers, and make a platform that gets them on board. That's possible, and despite the claims to the contrary here on GAF, many of them are very talented. If they can't even do that, then I don't know what to tell them. There are multiple avenues to choose from, and if none of them work for them, then Nintendo fails.

:) my post was [not-so?] obviously tongue in cheek, but the truth is I agree with you. First off, I will not invest in the next Nintendo console until they've figured out the deal on what I own and how do I transfer that from one console to another. What Microsoft just did with backwards compatibility should be the bare minimum we should expect from every other platform holder from now on. That goes double for Nintendo because they actually do have a HUGE catalog of AMAZING games going back to the NES. I want to be able to play that stuff over and over and over again, but I don't want to have to pay for it every time I move on to the next console cycle.

Regarding third party games, I'll be honest: I don't particularly care. I understand why people do and I understand Nintendo will definitely not be considered a major player without third parties (or without another Wii-like surprise), but I would prefer that Nintendo works with third-parties to build games with Nintendo's IPs but using third-party development resources, rather than just having Madden 201X, CoD 20, etc. Basically, have Square Enix work on a console Pokemon. Keep getting action games out of Platinum. Collaborate with Capcom on a new Earthbound RPG. Again, I understand the "need" for those annualized third party games and I'm fine with those, but Nintendo should definitely invest in building great third party relations so that their IPs can be handled properly.

And yes, I want to see Nintendo invest smartly into new IPs, new games, better hardware, no more gimmicks, more studios and a proper online infrastructure. They can continue to sell trillions of Amiibos for all I care, but please put that money back where it should be: games.

Zero148

If the games themselves looked fine people wouldn't be this mad.

they look fine to me in the Treehouse stream, even that Metroid game. The presentation of the games during the Digital Event was as bad as it is possible though. Super Mario Maker iseems incredible

Roo

Wasn't there a rumor about Nintendo unveiling big third party deals at e3? I guess that turned out to be wrong.

Skylanders, Platinum/StarFox, Tecmo Koei/Hyrule Warriors, Atlus/SMTxFE

Your Nintendo 3rd party deals are not the average 3rd party deal.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nintendo are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Home consoles are popular in the west but Nintendo brand isn't and consoles are dead in Japan. Handhelds are popular in Japan but loosing ground to mobile and remains unpopular/ undesirable to western gamers. What do they do? Having two ever complicated devices has stretched them thin, even Sony has given up their second platform, in favour of solely supporting PS4 (funny to see such heavy Japanese support for them, despite Japanese sales - guess publishers are relying on western sales).

i mean the writing has been on the wall for years. everyone knew where things were going, but nintendo just stuck to business as usual, everyone will adapt to us we don't adapt to them.

Nintendo should know better than anyone that game development is slow. Yet they constantly underestimate how long it takes. It's baffling. They're not strapped for cash, and it's not as if more games wouldn't make them more money.

The Wii U launched at least a year later than it should have (I'd say 2) and it still had a sparse launch lineup, and its release schedule has more gaps than games.

The Wii U, by the way, was rumored in 2010, announced in 2011 (and shown at E3), but didn't launch until 2012.

On that timeline, the NX won't launch in 2016. It'll be late 2017.

Agreed. Part of me thinks they held off on the full Zelda reveal (and possibly the launch of the game itself) in order to have something, anything to talk about next year. Because otherwise, all they've got is NX, and I can't see them launching in 2016, and certainly not with much software.

Antioch

I think it's reasonable to expect a great showing next year. After all, realistically they'll have Zelda, EAD Tokyo's next 3D Mario and whatever Retro are working on (Metroid?) all on NX, hopefully releasing all of the above within the first year of the console's release with Zelda at launch, holiday 2016. That actually looks remarkably similar to the Wii, which obviously had TP at launch, and then Galaxy and MP3 within a year of release.

What else could Nintendo have for NX's launch and first year? Maybe Splatoon 2 for 2017?

Smellycat

I knew going in that this year would be a dud for Nintendo. Next year I have very high expectations. If E3 2016 is where they will reveal their new platform, I'm hoping they wise up and do a proper conference instead of a Direct.

I kind of feel that this is a given. I don't think Nintendo will reveal a next gen console in a ND or a Digital Event. Too risky

Riposte

Seriously I never understand stuff like that. One minute you're having fun, but then they have a shitty E3 presentation and now all their games are garbage

The E3 hype stuff is actually really twisted in the hands of more than a few individuals I've seen here. Petulant child is putting it nicely. Hype is fun, but allowing it go into the other direction is just sick. I really wonder what kind of lives some people have.

None of this shit really matters at all, this is all just advertisement at best, so focus on what you like and don't let anything actually wound you. Things should be 0 at worst, not negative. You are crying about commercials.

To Nintendo, the Amiibo / Skylanders crossover is a big deal.

This is the company that thought a GTA spinoff on the DS was a big coup, Batman: Arkham Armored Edition was an exclusive game, and putting Mario or Link in another companies' game once in a while counts as an amazing crossover effort.

Nintendo's policy is to show things coming in within the next 12 months or so.

Sony's and MS seem to be "throw everything at you, even things that maybe 2 months into development, i.e. FF7 or even a Kickstarter".

The fact they showed a small sample of TLG makes me think 2016 isn't realistic for it.

Xun

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.
This would've been a lot better.

I'm as a big a Nintendo fan as they come, but I think the negative reaction will hopefully be good for Nintendo in the long run. They've always been their own worst enemy and hopefully some of this bad press will get them to step it up in their weaker areas.

You know for a company that prides themselves for being "different" and "creative" they are anything but. Its the same franchises every year, for decades just being rehashed and reused over and over and over again. This year really drove that point home.

I mean I will congratulate them on Splatoon, its a huge step in the right direction, but they need a hell of a lot more of THAT and less Mario random game 1000 or random Animal Crossing spin off etc.

Gives us more original interesting IPs

Sandfox

Nintendo should know better than anyone that game development is slow. Yet they constantly underestimate how long it takes. It's baffling. They're not strapped for cash, and it's not as if more games wouldn't make them more money.

The Wii U launched at least a year later than it should have (I'd say 2) and it still had a sparse launch lineup, and its release schedule has more gaps than games.

The Wii U, by the way, was rumored in 2010, announced in 2011 (and shown at E3), but didn't launch until 2012.

On that timeline, the NX won't launch in 2016. It'll be late 2017.

That really depends since they won't have 3DS to save or possibly even develop for anymore at that point in time. I could see it going either way.

To Nintendo, the Amiibo / Skylanders crossover is a big deal.

This is the company that thought a GTA spinoff on the DS was a big coup, Batman: Arkham Armored Edition was an exclusive game, and putting Mario or Link in another companies' game once in a while counts as an amazing crossover effort.

Given how strong the Skylanders franchise is that could potentially be a big deal for them in the future. Its obviously not going to matter to us too much though.

Top Bottom