• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

- Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

- Smash logo appears — in this scenario, Smash DLC was not shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes the new stages and Mii Fighter outfits that will be available. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where you close by showing Ryu for Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say they're all available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo-combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

This is beautiful.

MLH

This really is not an exaggeration. Though I'm not selling my Wii U, I did already unplug it and I do not plan on buying anymore games for this system. Contemplating trading in Splatoon because it's so online focused that I doubt I will be able to enjoy it in the future when I take my nostalgia trip.

Mario Maker, Yoshi, SMTxFE all look great, what's wrong with them? Xenoblade, Fatal Frame and Devil's third are also coming. Any new announcements now (like the Animal Crossing Spin off) are just filler, but the games we know about are looking great. So I don't understand this reaction.

I understand that sentiment, but their digital event this year was pretty bad. I don't know if all of the reactions I saw were justified, some were a bit extreme, but being disappointed is pretty understandable.
I felt my reactions about not wanting to live anymore were perfectly justified, thank you very much.

It's legitimately sad whenever Iwata has to admit things like this go over really badly. I remember a similar response to the 08 conference.

The puppets were great but they would have been better if they were complimented by a lot of good announcements. The Robot Chicken stuff last year I feel was enhanced even more by all the actual content going on in the event

Yeah, the content wasn't mindblowing but I was just talking about that aspect.

People keep saying this, but the Wii went its last 2 years on fumes, and the Wii U's first year was still weak. Nintendo's been saying for 20 years that they'll address the gaps in their release schedule, particularly at launch, and they've failed to do so.

Why would the NX be any different? And now they have mobile to cover.

Exactly. The Wii U's reveal was hyped beyond belief because "what else could they be working on?" I get the feeling a lot of plans either fell through or changed at the last minute.

Nintendo trying vs Nintendo succeeding are very different things.

Admittedly, not showing Zelda is pretty baffling unless the game is in ROUGH shape. But that comment about them having great footage they're holding back is pretty strange. I guess they really just don't have much else to show for the rest of the year.

Neff

I'd be interested to know what precipitated this response. Who would have told him that the Digital Event sucked, and how would such information have been collected?

I can't imagine him surfing NeoGAF and flinching at every vitriolic burn.

y1QuABT.gif

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

- Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

- Smash logo appears — in this scenario, Smash DLC was not shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes the new stages and Mii Fighter outfits that will be available. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where you close by showing Ryu for Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say they're all available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo-combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

This would have changed it from a C to at least a B+.

They should hire you, guy.

DataGhost

They could have announced more stuff than they did. Virtual Console stuff? Rhythm Heaven announcement? I wouldn't even care if we got a TBA, I just wanna know :(

Thing is that most of the announcements that came out were rather recent. I don't know what people expect when a lot of this was announced before hand. Also, they announce some new games (or at least ones I've never seen before) and people were overhyping because of Mother. People aren't even giving these new games a chance, just treating it as trash when it was a pretty simple announcement though not as splendid as Sony's announcements.

Sandfox

Sorry? Under his leadership they have tanked the last few years, as well as ended up in the EXACT same situation (barren release schedule at console's end of life) twice!

It's poor leadership.

We'll see the results of the latest moves next year and that will probably tell us what his future is like. Either way we will be seeing big changes.

Riposte

They could have announced more stuff than they did. Virtual Console stuff? Rhythm Heaven announcement? I wouldn't even care if we got a TBA, I just wanna know :(

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Rhythm Heaven localization at some point during this week. They probably just don't care about the whole idea of a one hour block hyping up the internet. This was just another direct to them. (Maybe they will take this a little more seriously in the future though.)

Couldn't agree more. So many disgusting posts of seething anger and rage. You'd think there were 8 year olds in the forums.
Sorry not everybody loves everything your favourite video game company does.

It was a bad showing and Nintendo are slowly starting to treat the Wii U how Sony treats the Vita. I can see why people would be angry.

Geg

You sound like a petulant child. It's not that serious. This crappy E3 doesn't make Splatoon or Smash Bros or any other Wii U game less fun.

Seriously I never understand stuff like that. One minute you're having fun, but then they have a shitty E3 presentation and now all their games are garbage

Mario Maker, Yoshi, SMTxFE all look great, what's wrong with them? Xenoblade, Fatal Frame and Devil's third are also coming. Any new announcements now (like the Animal Crossing Spin off) are just filler, but the games we know about are looking great. So I don't understand this reaction.

Mario maker is the only thing that is stopping me so far from selling it. But the thing about the next console stays.

GRW810

Same content, delivered 100x better. Nintendo sign Neiteio up for constructing your own event better than you did.

MicH

The "Metroid" and Animal Crossing games broke my heart. And those are some of my favorite franchises. We've waited 5 years for a new Metroid game and that's what you give us?

boiled goose

good with gravy

Amazing.

Nintendo should hire you.

I would include stuff like some VC sales.
Maybe some easy hype thing like a $5 mario galaxy 1 VC release for WiiU for anniversary
Then show some footage of Mario Maker NWC and say, get ready for next year. It is coming back!

ffdgh

Hype inducing post as usual.
Having ryu at the end would have been delicious.

TheJoRu

Looking back on it, that segment in the beginning of Reggie having to explain that the NX won't be shown and that Nintendo is in a transitional period is rather telling. They know where they are right now, they have their focus and a good showing at E3 2015 was not it.

I also think if this wasnt e3 they wouldnt be getting as much flame. They honestly should have skipped it. Either done it earlier or later.

OmegaFax

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

You're hired.

shaza

Neo Member

I would have liked this a lot more. idk what they were thinking with the Smash Direct on Sunday. I think it would have been best if they saved dlc content that for today. Ryu as the last thing they show would have definitely made things amazing, even with the leak that happened.

Blues1990

I was actually expecting an announcement for more MK8 DLC, Splatoon content, or something.

Star Fox Zero looks awesome, but everything else (especially the cringe worthy Fire Emblem-Shin Megami Tensei) didn't capture my interest at all.

Haunted

I didn't watch any of the conferences, just looking at the "aftermath", the trailers and GAF threads that were made about the announcements.

As someone who doesn't own a PS4 or XB1, but a WiiU - Nintendo was a fucking embarrassment this year. Really sad and frustrating to see a fixture of your childhood and a brand that has followed me for the vast majority of my gaming life drift away from me like that.

Metroxed

I find the dev talk stuff fascinating. Am I the only one?

I also like it, but it is out of place. We only have 50 minutes, and if every developer's story takes 10 minutes (as they did) you can only show five games. Do the developer's stories on dedicated Nintendo Directs, not in the E3 for fuck's sake.

Joqu

Pretty much, I'm happy enough with that line-up considering the state the Wii U is in. I guess that's why I'm not that disappointed, but on the other hand I did expect them to announce more just because they had already shown so much in advance.

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.
thank you sir. exactly what i was thinking.

DataGhost

The fact that there were leaks probably had to change their digital event. They were drawing out some parts with the slow translator.

2) They made enormous quantities of money last generation; I want to see that translate in to new investments. More studios, more experiments, more ideas. Instead, gamers are getting the same old things they've always gotten. Not that Mario and Zelda are bad, but surely the money they made last generation can buy something. Nintendo could easily have the largest first party by leaps and bounds, given how dramatically more successful their first party IP are. Instead, Sony continues to outspend them.

I agree with your whole post, but credit where it's due: Splatoon seems like a pretty big step in the right direction here.

It's a new IP, developed by younger developers rather than the EAD old guard, in a genre that isn't NCL's usual fare, given a retail release and a decent budget behind it. And it's actually selling really well, at least given that it's a new IP on a near-death platform.

joedick

I really like this, but it takes a bunch of stuff away from other Directs. So you're probably just taking today's concentrated anger and spreading it out throughout the year :p

LOLDSFAN

Yeah this could have worked. I thought the reason they had the Smash direct on Sunday because today would be jam packed. They should have saved that for today in hindsight.

Crayolan

This is great. There would have been some hype to had from the conference and the lack of Wii U games would have been a little less blatantly obvious.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but man that's such a better delivery. They were completely tone deaf this time around.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Dear Iwata, you need to fire Reggie and get someone to call the right shots, knowing how to please your core audience.

You need a real Nintendo fan & leader who would have leveraged during this Direct:
- the amazing buzz Splatoon is getting, showing new stuff coming till August.
- Fast Racing Neo footage, who would have negociated an F-Zero related DLC with this editor,
- Fatal Frame 4, Devil Third, the few core games you have left
- new Zelda footage, no matter what your strategy is regarding its next unveil. Your E3 was poor in content. A leader should have told you sving it with Zelda was mandatory. It feels like the west management says amen to whatever (fireworks) you think is right for their market. It's not a service they do to you.
- etc.

Malus

This e3 was a gut punch. The Skylanders stuff, the animal crossing stuff, the metroid spin off (which will probably still be good with Next Level developing), the lack of big new Wii U announcements, etc. Real good day for 3DS though.

But them's the breaks. Sometimes games are ready to show, sometimes they ain't. Excited to potentially see Tokyo EAD and Retro at e3 next year alongside the NX.

ironcreed

Banned
People need to chill and accept that the Wii U is winding down because they are preparing a new system behind the scenes. It is what it is and at least it gives us something to look forward to.

Top Bottom