• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

Opiate

NX to launch with Metroid, Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Battallion Wars, Fatal Frame, Pokemon, Earthbound, Bayonetta 3, Vanquish 2, Metal Gear Rising 2, Half Life 3, free online with dedicated servers, proper account system, every NX comes with a free Oculus Rift, Prey 2, all within the first year.

Their issues are mostly structural to me. It isn't some specific franchise I want. Here is what I want:

1) Better networking in all regards. I am not the first to say this. They are apparently so incompetent at this that they had to farm these duties out to DeNA. I have no idea why this is so hard, because networking is one of the most commoditized properties in the electronic device world.

2) They made enormous quantities of money last generation; I want to see that translate in to new investments. More studios, more experiments, more ideas. Instead, gamers are getting the same old things they've always gotten. Not that Mario and Zelda are bad, but surely the money they made last generation can buy something. Nintendo could easily have the largest first party by leaps and bounds, given how dramatically more successful their first party IP are. Instead, Sony continues to outspend them.

3) Figure out their third party situation. I'm putting this in a very particular way for a reason: if they can't get EA and Take 2 et. al on board, fine. Figure out how to get indies on board more profoundly, and make Nintendo the place for indies, out from under the shade of the big bad publishers who dominate Playstation and Xbox. If they can't do that, then figure out how to convert the mobile developers, and make a platform that gets them on board. That's possible, and despite the claims to the contrary here on GAF, many of them are very talented. If they can't even do that, then I don't know what to tell them. There are multiple avenues to choose from, and if none of them work for them, then Nintendo fails.

Couldn't agree more. So many disgusting posts of seething anger and rage. You'd think there were 8 year olds in the forums.
Because people were disappointed that nothing was shown? It's not like there were a bunch of GAF members sending Iwata death threats, and even if there were, they'd be dealt with accordingly. Stop generalizing.

Oregano

The new 3DS Zelda seems built nigh entirely with A Link Between Worlds assets so I imagine it's a pretty small investment that lets them experiment in cool ways.

Yeah, I think it looks pretty cool too. It's more that it means 3DS is getting three Zelda in the space of a year or so(MM3D, Triforce Heroes and Hyrule Warriors Legends).

trenken

Banned
Lol he releases and apology within a couple hours of the presentation! Classic. I'm sure he knew this sucked a long time ago.

Pretty clear the 3DS and U are just about dead, and their focus now is mobile and NX. I didnt expect much of anything this year so I'm not surprised at all at how bad it was. E3's are always like this right before a new system is revealed. They arent going to go all in with the 3DS and U right now when they are getting ready to replace both of them in a year.

martino

8R0DV0m.png

joedick

NX better be worth the defending of this name from you guys.

Huh? I admit I am a Nintendo fan, but that wasn't 'Nintendo Defense Force' or whatever people say. My takeaway from that presentation was 'oh, they've shifted focus'. I don't really get angry about stuff like this, if that makes me a fanboy, so be it.

While we're on the subject, the 'NDF'/corporate apologist thing is so tired. People get accused of blindly responding, meanwhile the one doing the accusing is actually the one throwing a kneejerk response and killing the conversation in its tracks.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if some NX details "leaked" in the next few days.
Anything that would generate some positive buzz.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nope, not buying this. Either someone gets fired or this was going as planned. You can't be this disconnected from reality without being intentional. Those 5 minutes of cringe singing? Someone greenlighted that instead of at least showing Devil's Third or Fatal Frame. Think about it.

Not

Banned
Zelda Triforce Heroes Co-Op looked cool. When they reveal more about it (story, etc) it'll probably become must-have. Hyped for that.

Glad I bought a 3DS and not a Wii U.

You hear me Iwata? GREAT JOB ON ZELDA TRIFORCE HEROES! WOOOOOO

evanmisha

"Where's F-Zero? Give us F-Zero!"

>Spend 10 minutes talking about the same Yoshi game that got a 10 minute back story last E3
>Upload Fast Racing Neo trailer on YouTube with 0 fanfare

overall they have a good lineup
yoshi, devils third (i have hope), mario maker, starfox, animal crossing, mario tennis, xenoblade, fatal frame... thats arguably better than last year. 2016 looks barren though aside of fire emblem

i am amazed that they did a direct so shortly before E3 and that they kept smash seperate. also the leaks...

At least we will get some new, awesome Reggie spin out of this telling us about how many great games are coming out in the next 6-12 months.

Velcro Fly

I honestly prefer those cleanly edited dev stories to a bunch of nervous devs trying to relay a message to millions of people live on a crowded stage. It's so much more natural to me and presents the game and the people behind them waaaay better.

Honestly, I can sense how uncomfortable a lot of those people are at those conferences. It's weird.

i mean they could have had the dev story vids playing in between games. like instead of the "we'll be back in a few minutes" screen have the devs talking about the game that is coming up next. I think that would have been much cooler. You get an insight into the development of the game followed by extended gameplay played by actual people.

the live stuff is always awkward since they aren't salespeople and aren't PR people.

Crayolan

the disappointment should have been anticipated more strongly:

i see a lot of people were blindsided by what happened. here's where your expectations should have been going into this:

-they said no zelda wii u at e3
-they said no nx at e3
-they said no mobile at e3 (or qol for that matter)
-they're not going to reveal stuff in late 2016 or late 2017 like everyone else is (except maybe smt x fe), because that's when nx is coming out.
-they had already made somewhat big announcements in star fox, fire emblem if, and smt x fe in the leadup to this year's e3 showing. the amount of surprises left afterward were bound to be minimal.
-blast ball used the metroid prime hud so it is obviously part of metroid prime somehow (seems everyone got this)

so basically they were going to focus on early 2016 and late 2015, which is everything for this fiscal year or whatever they plan to have before next e3. i'm looking forward to the zelda and paper mario games we knew nothing about going into this, and i'm excited to try star fox later this year. it's actually a nice lineup for 2015 when everything's been moved to next year, but the show itself doesn't instill the same excitement as some of the other conferences like announcing backwards compatibility or shenmue iii.

I don't think anyone was expecting to be blown away by tons of new games, but personally I was expecting 1 or 2 new Wii U games to tide over Wii U owners throughout 2016. Technically, we did get that, but they're both multiplayer spin-offs.

My expectations for Nintendo have been pretty low for awhile. I'm not pre-ordering anything else from Nintendo after having been disappointed by Twilight and Windwaker. I'm not interested in their console systems anymore either. The WiiU has a few great titles that really show off what Nintendo can do, don't get me wrong, but that's all it's worth. A few games. Other companies are making great games too, and I can buy their stuff pretty much anywhere.

I feel like I'm buying the system to play just those few games, and I'm not doing that anymore. I like my 3DS and hell, if there's a good enough library I'd pick up something else handheld from them in the future. But not out of the gate.

Scrawnton

It was so painful to watch that i consider selling my Wii U and dont buy whatever Nintendo releases as their next console.
This really is not an exaggeration. Though I'm not selling my Wii U, I did already unplug it and I do not plan on buying anymore games for this system. Contemplating trading in Splatoon because it's so online focused that I doubt I will be able to enjoy it in the future when I take my nostalgia trip.

narton

Count me in as another not understanding the negative reaction. After Sony's presentation we knew it wasn't going to touch it, but I liked what they had to show.

GRW810

Bullshit. Nintendo know exactly what to do right and what to do wrong and at the end of the day they do whatever they want to do. They know full well how well their 2014 E3 went and why that was so if they took opinions seriously they would have delivered. It wasn't hard.

wsippel

Banned
They had nothing for Wii u and it was painfully apparent.
They had stuff they decided not to show for some asinine reason. A proper Devil's Third trailer, or Fatal Frame. Just to mix things up a little and fix the pacing. Nothing new, sure, but it would have made a difference.

DataGhost

Miyamoto already commented

I neither think it was a mistake or trash.

They're hyping up their remaining games. With all the directs throughout the year, this E3's content became sparser compared to Sony and MS that don't do directs or small announcements. Those companies build it up for E3.

This really is not an exaggeration. Though I'm not selling my Wii U, I did already unplug it and I do not plan on buying anymore games for this system. Contemplating trading in Splatoon because it's so online focused that I doubt I will be able to enjoy it in the future when I take my nostalgia trip.

You sound like a petulant child. It's not that serious. This crappy E3 doesn't make Splatoon or Smash Bros or any other Wii U game less fun.

Honestly, today's event was good stuff for 3ds. I am probably getting every announced 3ds game except maybe Metroid because I have no idea what it's about.

Neiteio

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

fhqwhgads

Because people were disappointed that nothing was shown? It's not like there were a bunch of GAF members sending Iwata death threats, and even if there were, they'd be dealt with accordingly. Stop generalizing.
Going by the new Metroid game thread, I think the responses there are enough to prove my point. Nothing but incoherent yelling and angry insults. NO ONE is giving the game a chance simply because it isn't perfect.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm more upset at people's piss-poor reactions than Nintendo's lackluster event. I'm sorry Iwata :(

Sorry? Under his leadership they have tanked the last few years, as well as ended up in the EXACT same situation (barren release schedule at console's end of life) twice!

It's poor leadership.

AzureTranquility said:
Out of curiosity, is it both AC games or just the Mario Party clone getting dislikes?

Just the Wii U.

Geg

The puppets were the best presentational part of any Nintendo E3 I have seen.

The puppets were great but they would have been better if they were complimented by a lot of good announcements. The Robot Chicken stuff last year I feel was enhanced even more by all the actual content going on in the event

Kouichi

The Digital Event wasn't bad. It just wasn't mind blowing or super exciting. They announced some cool new games, premiered first looks, and showed some neat features for games we knew about it. The point of the Digital Event was to show off their upcoming games and it did that job well.

Their overall E3 appearance has been pretty awesome so far. Again, not particularly mind blowing but still entertaining and fun.

I neither think it was a mistake or trash.

They're hyping up their remaining games. With all the directs throughout the year, this E3's content became sparser compared to Sony and MS that don't do directs or small announcements. Those companies build it up for E3.

They could have announced more stuff than they did. Virtual Console stuff? Rhythm Heaven announcement? I wouldn't even care if we got a TBA, I just wanna know :(

boiled goose

good with gravy
Their issues are mostly structural to me. It isn't some specific franchise I want. Here is what I want:

1) Better networking in all regards. I am not the first to say this. They are apparently so incompetent at this that they had to farm these duties out to DeNA. I have no idea why this is so hard, because networking is one of the most commoditized properties in the electronic device world.

2) They made enormous quantities of money last generation; I want to see that translate in to new investments. More studios, more experiments, more ideas. Instead, gamers are getting the same old things they've always gotten. Not that Mario and Zelda are bad, but surely the money they made last generation can buy something. Nintendo could easily have the largest first party by leaps and bounds, given how dramatically more successful their first party IP are. Instead, Sony continues to outspend them.

3) Figure out their third party situation. I'm putting this in a very particular way for a reason: if they can't get EA and Take 2 et. al on board, fine. Figure out how to get indies on board more profoundly, and make Nintendo the place for indies, out from under the shade of the big bad publishers who dominate Playstation and Xbox. If they can't do that, then figure out how to convert the mobile developers, and make a platform that gets them on board. That's possible, and despite the claims to the contrary here on GAF, many of them are very talented. If they can't even do that, then I don't know what to tell them. There are multiple avenues to choose from, and if none of them work for them, then Nintendo fails.

Agree with everything.
With NX hopefully they can even lead in online services (doesn't mean they have to be better in every regard, but they could be the first with a completely unified environment and unified account, they also have miiverse, and a legacy of games that has no competition). There is so much potential.

Third party relationships are TERRIBLE.
They are not even getting crossgen games. Not even cartoony ones. Not even party games like Rock Band. They have completely no relationships with major wester third parties right now and that is extremely worrisome.

Joqu

I guess I'm not as disappointed as some people but it was pretty bad, don't get me wrong. I do think their 3DS line-up was decent enough. Their Wii U one wasn't. To be expected really.

Their decision not to talk about games that are further away was a terrible one. Fine for directs but people expect more from E3. Surely they could have showed the next Pokemon? Zelda U should have been part of it too, delayed or not. And surely Retro has something in a presentable state or is that gonna be NX only?

And I at least expected another Gamecube port for the U.

Stuff like Earthbound Beginnings, Ryu in Smash and Fatal Frame really should have been part of it, it's minor stuff but they clearly needed the content and it would have still pleased some fans.

So I do think they could have had the content to make a decent one but this wasn't it. I still prefer the digital format over the proper conferences though, it feels way more personal and less PR like. But I think that's why they thought they could get away with it?

And yeah, the way they ended it was especially terrible. I was expecting one more announcement at the very least, but it was just that cringe-worthy video and then it ended. Yikes.

Not

Banned

So is this all Iwata's fault?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ouch. Really sad to see the response so universally bad that Iwata is apologizing of all things. E3 has just started, and already Nintendo is confirming that they came into this thing without any ammunition whatsoever. As much as I though the Direct was bad, it's mostly because it presented almost nothing unexpected, and not big announcements of import.

What was there however seems to mostly be fun games filling out the rest of the year on Wii U and 3DS. I guess Nintendo just doesn't want people looking forward very far, but it's too bad they couldn't have shown their platforms in a slightly more positive light.

Top Bottom