• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

MLH

Mario maker is the only thing that is stopping me so far from selling it. But the thing about the next console stays.

Well I do agree with you on their next console, if they can't show 3rd party support, and greater volume of first party for their next console then we'll have another Wii U on our hands; amazing games surrounded with with long software droughts. I don't see why anyone should invest in it with other options on the market.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would have thought Metroid Federation Force was neat if they hinted at a Metroid NX or something :/

Also, they just showed it off wrong. No description. But the yoshi yarn amiibo gets 10 min.
It was just a very bad show.

This is the biggest stage for media and fans. You need to excite people. Explanations about the inspiration for games don't fit here.

Also it's gotta be confirmed at this point that the new Zelda is moving to the NX. As another poster mentioned though, I wonder if it's also going to be on Wii U. Twilight Princess v2.0.

One with touchpad integration and the other without? Seems hard to pull off if the NX doesn't have a touchpad (which I hope to God it doesn't). Maybe second screen integration instead? Still...I would think the game was heavily developed with the touchpad in mind; based on some of what they have shown previously. Unless a reason for not showing it is because they are transitioning away from it being touchpad reliant.

I knew going in that this year would be a dud for Nintendo. Next year I have very high expectations. If E3 2016 is where they will reveal their new platform, I'm hoping they wise up and do a proper conference instead of a Direct.

Piano

Banned
I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

You win the prize. This would have been much better.

Sorry not everybody loves everything your favourite video game company does.

It was a bad showing and Nintendo are slowly starting to treat the Wii U how Sony treats the Vita. I can see why people would be angry.

No one's saying you have to love anything, but attacking someone on twitter with personal insults is not a good way of expressing your disappointment. It makes you a fucking dick.

Edit: I'm saying this as a fan that was pretty massively let down by the direct.

valouris

It was a pretty bad show, particularly the Animal Crossing WiiU game, but it was kind of expected, and it showed by the low levels of hype preceding it. Animal crossing board videogame would be pretty funny as a joke.

But E3 is always just a show, and we all know that sooner or later Nintendo always delivers some stuff that we will inevitably enjoy. I'd rather have a realistic showing of 2015 and early 2016 titles than broken promises or dangling carrots of CG and fake/scripted gameplay trailers for late 2017 games. We all know stories of development teams cramming just for trailers or vertical slice E3 demos, and I'm glad that Nintendo doesn't do that as often. Still, StarFox, Yoshi and Mario Tennis for Wii U 2015 is not that bad, could be quite worse, and it will be for late 2016 probably, when they will be much closer to their next platform releasing.

Glad to see him apologise but did they really not see this coming.
did no one at nintendo watch the event beforehand? I'm literally left knowing that in a weeks time i will playing my last ever wii u game which is yoshi.

Magnus

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

Well done. A much better approach.

Also, they just showed it off wrong. No description. But the yoshi yarn amiibo gets 10 min.
It was just a very bad show.

This is the biggest stage for media and fans. You need to excite people. Explanations about the inspiration for games don't fit here.

That's another HUGE issue I had. Yoshi's Woolly World has been shown off many times, the new trailer didn't show anything new, and they just HAD to devote time to talking about it, while Metroid Prime was weird and different and divisive, but offered no explanation as to what it was.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess im just a freak because i enjoyed the direct. I didnt expect crazy stuff and they told us traight up what wont be at e3. Starfox looked great, i got dates and confirmation of games, i have a new Mario Tennis. Mario Maker stuff, behind the scenes stuff, fire Emblem confirmations, and some more. So, i guess i dont get it. Meh, whatever.

Cyd0nia

Banned
they will win everybodys hearts back next year with a new console and more zelda

Not mine. Today they lost my TRUST, which even through their lows - they have always had.

How can I trust them to support my investment in an NX or whatever other thing they have in mind?

And I think to myself, "Maybe in retrospect this seems obvious," but honestly, no. Why couldn't Nintendo have saved their ringers for the actual DE? I know they listen to their fans in some capacity (as Iwata appears to be doing now), so why not layer the Event with the real buzz-worthy games and content at the least?
I'm glad Iwata is responding. Whether or not any of this "we've heard you and will adapt" will produce results, however, is TBD. I hope it does.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, great post there.

Ahasverus

Why are they bothering with a new console smh at this point it won't do better than the PS4 and the wii like phenomenon sailed years ago. At this point they should refocus on portables with tv connection, but mainly portables.

If it wasn't for Fatal Frame coming out I'd probably sell my Wii U. I barely touch it at all anymore anyway and then it's mostly for Virtual Console stuff that can be found in a myriad of ways. I've played Smash like twice. Not sure what it was but it didn't grab me like the previous entries.

USC-fan

Banned
Feel sorry for them having to follow sony press conference.

Going against one of the best e3 press conference of all time.

Sandfox

Why are they bothering with a new console smh at this point it won't do better than the PS4 and the wii like phenomenon sailed years ago. At this point they should refocus on portables with tv connection, but mainly portables.

I don't think that's the measure of success.

Not

Banned
next year they've got Zelda and NX; tons of juice

I hope they don't show Zelda at the very beginning of the Event next year. I hate how they always do that, I wish they'd save it for the end. It's your best game: don't blow your load so early

d1iKABV.png

Gsnap

I find the dev talk stuff fascinating. Am I the only one?
It was really cool last year because we were seeing new games. Hearing someone tell us things we already know about games we already know about isn't that fun. It was fun seeing miyamoto talk about star fox and the shrine. It wasn't fun seeing some lady talk about yoshis wooly world.

Am I disappointed, yeah. Does it mean the games that caused that for me will be awful/I won't give a chance, no. But knowing what to expect from Nintendo and getting something along those lines can make a person feel bad. Especially when the things they did seemed exciting.

Leaks also killed much of the hype.

Opiate

I agree with your whole post, but credit where it's due: Splatoon seems like a pretty big step in the right direction here.

It's a new IP, developed by younger developers rather than the EAD old guard, in a genre that isn't NCL's usual fare, given a retail release and a decent budget behind it. And it's actually selling really well, at least given that it's a new IP on a near-death platform.

Yeah, it's a good start (even if it doesn't appeal to me personally. My personal preferences aren't the point here).

They need to do more, and probably do more fast, for two reasons:

1) They are running out of time. I don't mean they're running out of money, but if they have another Wii U like generation with the NX, they may just lose so much mindshare that their existence will be forgotten to all but the most ardent of fans. Marketshare isn't the most important statistic, but it's not completely irrelevant, either. There is threshold which becomes almost impossible to recover from if you are marginalized enough.

2) Particularly with networking and third parties, they're chasing a moving target. It isn't as if Microsoft and Sony are standing still. They can't just get better, they need to go fast enough to also catch up.

I'm buying 2 games over the next 12 months from Nintendo. That's what I learned from this direct. My Wii U library is only 7 games right now, and its almost 3 years in. *sigh*

Astral Dog

I was not expecting much but still was dissapointed :/

I understand the Wii U is dead, and has basically been dead since the beginning but still this direct was very bad, Nintendo is in a position were they obviously cant afford to support the Wii U anymore without wasting precious resources for their next system, better luck next year, Iwata, hope things turn out better.

grebby

Going into the event I wasn't expecting much at all. I knew Starfox would be their 'big' title to show. That's fine, we know that Nintendo has their priorities with NX by now. However, I can't feel that this event was just a kick in the nuts. I felt like I was being trolled instead of Nintendo just delivering a modest showing.

The messaging was just all wrong. Neiteio's pitch would have been 100x times better than what Nintendo actually did. That pitch sounds like it's just being real about everything. Nintendo cannot be oblivious to how fans would react when the Metroid logo is just dumped on their screens and then they see what Nintendo presented. It was a complete joke, just like the Animal Crossing Party game. Another thing fans have wanted for their Wii Us, they see a nice HD looking Animal Crossing game and then suddenly dice rolls, a board game... I mean come on.

It's disappointing. As a Wii U owner I'm just disappointed by it because it's suffering the exact same fate that the Wii did. Nintendo continues to have the same problems they've had for the past few generations now and as a fan it's getting really frustrating at this point. I know any thoughts about NX should be kept neutral, but given how the Wii U is being treated hardly any differently to their previous console, it's hard for me to have pretty low expectations for Nintendo's next effort at this point.

Starfox didn't blow me away either, I'm just not sold on the game as they pitched it to us today. It seems more gimmicky than truly clever game design. There will hopefully be traditional control options. Visually I thought it was quite disappointing, and I don't know if it was the stream but the framerate looked really rough too.

Tregard

Soothsayer

This would have really really reduced their damage control, hell, they could've even chucked out that Micro Direct they did and included the new Chibi Robo game.

"Shame *bell ring* shame *bell ring*"

Mory Dunz

eh so there are literally just two titles coming out for it in teh future?

No.
He said announced.

lol they shoud've just shown Pokken and said "2016". Or Zelda again. Or Retro's thing even if it's far away
Does it matter if it's not coming out soon?

When is KH coming out. FF7? Does it matter. Just show junk.

ironcreed

Banned
After I finish off the games in my library, I'm selling my Wii U before it starts to depreciate in value like crazy.

I hated to, but I sold my second one a few months back. I love the system and Nintendo actually won me back with the Wii U, but it is just so obviously on the way out the door. The next system is probably going to be backwards compatible anyway and I am holding out for that.

Exactly. The Wii U's reveal was hyped beyond belief because "what else could they be working on?" I get the feeling a lot of plans either fell through or changed at the last minute.

Nintendo trying vs Nintendo succeeding are very different things.

Admittedly, not showing Zelda is pretty baffling unless the game is in ROUGH shape. But that comment about them having great footage they're holding back is pretty strange. I guess they really just don't have much else to show for the rest of the year.

Nintendo should know better than anyone that game development is slow. Yet they constantly underestimate how long it takes. It's baffling. They're not strapped for cash, and it's not as if more games wouldn't make them more money.

The Wii U launched at least a year later than it should have (I'd say 2) and it still had a sparse launch lineup, and its release schedule has more gaps than games.

The Wii U, by the way, was rumored in 2010, announced in 2011 (and shown at E3), but didn't launch until 2012.

On that timeline, the NX won't launch in 2016. It'll be late 2017.

Hex

Banned
I didn't hate it, I love what they do in their presentations.
The problem is it was too short to be wasting time as they did.
If they made it longer, they could have the fun stuff and still have time to show more content and games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Neiteio has some good ideas on how presentation order could have gone a long way. In terms of actual content, I think only one title was actually bad: the Animal Crossing party game. People have been wanting an Animal Crossing console game for a long, long time. The Amiibo leak all but confirmed it, so a Mario Party type game was a sharp sting.

javac

I liked the event, very mellow and low key, but hey I understand why, plus I guess that they wanted to focus on things coming out soon. Liked the Mario Maker segment with the sketches, made me all warm for some reason.

NotLiquid

The format is still fine, it's only the content that is really just not enough in carrying a whole event and that speaks more to the fact that they're drawing the proverbial line to the Wii U. Presentation-wise they got most of the good stuff from last year and I still think they did it highly effectively. The Mario Maker in-betweens were a wonderful way of transitioning.

Even though Nintendo showed most games that I'll see myself playing (at least in the immediate future), I'm not going to deny that their conference this year was a stinker... and that's okay. No one maintains a great streak. They haven't undermined the effectiveness of the last year and they always have another shot next year, particularly since it seems like they need to focus on the next big thing, most likely their new console. So if anything they've made me more excited for next year. At the very least what defined the entire event, such as the NWC, some of the drip feed, the Treehouse, the surprise Smash Bros content, Earthbound 0, and Mini Directs prior, at least softened the entire E3 to much like last year, be absorbed as it's whole. That kind of makes Nintendo a bit more interesting as a general experience rather than being confined to just one significant event.

I have to say I feel like in the face of tensions running high then the whole reception to this event was wholly blown way out of proportion. I feel like this should have been expected mostly and there doesn't seem to be much room for compromise or inbetweens. It's nowhere near the worst Nintendo conferences such as 2012 where Nintendo completely failed to sell their console going into launch, and 2008 which is an absolute low. They focused entirely on what they have and tried to make the best of it. It's just a shame that what they had just... wasn't what we necessarily needed. Unfortunately when you're leveraging an entire console by your own hand, that should be expected.

Hopefully they'll do better next time.

I honestly don't get why they don't embrace and show off that little of third party support that they have in Devil's Third and ESPECIALLY Fast Racing Neo.

Top Bottom