• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony Attempt To Rival The Xbox Elite Controller?

Sean

Banned
They don't need to go all out like that, but a second DS4 revision with better build quality, no light bar, and most importantly a longer battery. Battery life on the DS4 is so fucking bad.

I would like a version with removable AA batteries like the Xbox controller, makes it way more convenient.

shandy706

Between my DS4, Wii U Pro, and X1 controller...the DS4 is the worst. It's the least comfortable, has the shortest battery life, and I bought rubber stick covers out of fear of the stock ones falling apart.

I'd trade it for something better in a flash.

I doubt they will but I would just like for them to fix the problems it has already like battery life , turning off light, making better material for thumb sticks and then it would be nice if they made the sticks asymmetrical for those that like that style .

They just need to use better parts for their normal controller. Aside from the better vita dpad, it's as good as it can possibly be.

Plus, I don't think they have the money to create hardware that few are going to buy. They're not MS. Funding a niche game is one thing, but funding and manufacturing a niche controller is another.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is a 150 dollar controller. Why do you think Sony or nintendo needs to do anything about it?

TBH, I don't even think that many xbox owners hate their current so much that they will spend 150 bucks. No reason to.

Falchion

If the Elite sells well they will absolutely try something like that. There's a market for premium controllers on all the systems.

I'm getting the Elite as soon as it comes out and would get the equivalent on PS4 at some point too.

Griss

They should. The Dualshock 4 is pretty shit. Terrible build quality, touch panel is too small, sticky triggers, shocking battery life. The overall design of it is good, but the execution is awful.

I hate that I'd have to, but I'd definitely buy an 'elite' dualshock 4.

EDIT:

I was beaten.

Those sticks were corrected in newer revisions shortly after (and my launch one has not done that). My shoulder buttons and triggers are still A-Ok.

Battery life, yes. All these do not warrant a $150 version to be made. Just tweaking the old one like they did with the stick wear.

IMO the sticks still have too much give and they wear down over time creating resistance along the edges of the stick casing. But it's not like the Xbox One controller had innate issues that 'necessitated' a $150 alternate. It's like, how do you feel about computer mice with advanced sensors and programmable buttons that cost over $60, or mechanical keyboards with macro keys that cost even more than that? Do they not have a point to their existence just because you can buy a two button mouse for $20, or a cheap Logitech keyboard, that approximates the high end product? It's a high end option for those who take competition seriously and wish to enable advanced functionality like button remapping and simultaneous stick/button control, or use their controllers quite a bit and want something that will hold up better to time.

I don't need no elite controller but I would like a ds4 with easy replacable sticks. My left stick has peeled all the way off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IMO the sticks still have too much give and they wear down over time creating resistance along the edges of the stick casing. But it's not like the Xbox One controller had innate issues that 'necessitated' a $150 alternate. It's like, how do you feel about computer mice with advanced sensors and programmable buttons that cost over $60, or mechanical keyboards with macro keys that cost even more than that? Do they not have a point to their existence just because you can buy a two button mouse for $20, or a cheap Logitech keyboard, that approximates the high end product?

I am not arguing that. If there is a market, and they want to make something for that market, I am all for it.

But those minor issues people are complaining about in here does not warrent $150 to correct. It can be tweaked on the same $50-60 controller.

Mindlog

Those sticks were corrected in newer revisions shortly after (and my launch one has not done that). My shoulder buttons and triggers are still A-Ok.

Battery life, yes agreed. All these do not warrant a $150 version to be made. Just tweaking the old one like they did with the stick wear.
Then don't purchase the $150 version. I wouldn't pay $150 just to correct the problems of the current controller. I would happily pay $150 if it included better button placement and the premium build quality. Many of those features could eventually become commonplace when the larger audience realize their utility.

Two Words

Wait, they are? I totally missed this! Never buy different color controllers, but this will be the exception!

Woah, i totally missed this, did they announce it at E3?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-getting-special-playstation-20th-anniversary-c/1100-6428234/

Plus a PS1 Gold headset

2887612-ps3.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then don't purchase the $150 version. I wouldn't pay $150 just to correct the problems of the current controller. I would happily pay $150 if it included better button placement and the premium build quality. Many of those features could eventually become commonplace when the larger audience realize their utility.

Read my follow-up post.

I am not arguing that. If there is a market, and they want to make something for that market, I am all for it.

But those minor issues people are complaining about in here does not warrent $150 to correct. It can be tweaked on the same $50-60 controller.

P.S. There is no $150 PS4 version by Sony ;)

I don't think people ONLY want these things corrected though.

They should, because the DS4 is the weakest part of the console. It's a vast improvement over the DS3 which I found unusable, but they need to do something about the build quality and battery life. I get 30 hours from my XB1 controller and about 4 hours from my PS4 controller.

RoKKeR

Considering how long it took them to get to the DS4, which I still think has lots of room to improve.... no.

The craziest thing I see with that controller is that people will buy it... hot damn that's just nuts.

I'll take the Steam Controller thanks.

I agree with the poor build quality, they need to fix that shit ASAP. I bought 4 controllers around launch and for two controllers the left stick is already torn/tearing

Macrotus

What do you think?

If so, what revamps or additions would you like to see?

--------

Honestly, I would just love to pay a premium for a controller of good build quality for my PS4.

They don't really need to rival it.
The shape and all is good as it is. They just need to improve the durability.

The rubber on the sticks peal off too easily. And some people are having problems with the triggers.
If those things get improved, I'll be really happy with the DS4.

mittelos

I'm still waiting for an official PS4 media remote, and for that matter the official DS4 charging cradle to come to the U.S. So I'm gonna go with no; but I wish they would because I don't mind the price, and I'd get way more use out of it on the PS4.

Top Bottom