• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best PC controller? *Not including default M&K

TrebleShot

Everyone knows M&K is the default and in some regards best controller for PC.

But many of us are couch PC gamers or ex console expats, so I ask you which controllers do you use on your PC for gaming?

I am currently switching between DS edge, Gamesir T4 cyclone, Scuf Envision and an elite 2, all very good in their own right but none i would say are endgame.

I was curious if anyone has an endgame controller or has any opinions on what they use on a daily or like me are just on an endless search?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have the always green xbox series x controller, a gamesir t4 kaleid, a switch pro controller and a the ds5.

In order of preference\being hassle free on pc outside of steam games

Xbox controller, worse build quality than x360 controllers but the most hassle free by far on pc and i like the ergonomics
T4 kaleid best controller i have but it can have some problems with some games, hall effect sticks and triggers
Ds5, only use it on ps5, i hate symmetrical sticks and give 2 fucks about the useless gimmicks so it's usually the last choice on pc
Switch pro, super small and frail, not sure why people love it so much, probably kids with small hands or just going from ubershit joycons to a proper controller must be a huge relief

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I use an Elite 2 and DualSense depending what I'm playing.

Started Persona 5 and for whatever reason it just felt wrong on a non-Playstation controller even though I've never played a Persona game. Can't explain it.

Lorianus

Xbox, or well reviewed 3rd party with Xbox layout, im using the Xbox Elite 2 for like 5 years now zero complaints, only had to replace the mini springs because of stick drift after 4 years with very cheap replacements from amazon.

Danknugz

anyone who has an elite 2, take either of the sticks and click them in while trying to rotate the stick. do you feel that notchiness and that you can't smoothly turn the stick while it's "clicked in"?

this to me is a major design flaw of the elite v2, i just went back to the standard xbox controller.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This one - https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-bluetooth-controller/ Or with the Xbox layout.

08-xl.jpg

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Received mine this week

It’s amazing. I don’t think you can find a better value.

Hall effect joysticks, bye bye drift.
Charging dock that is also 2.4Ghz to your PC.
Auto connects soon as you pick up controller, can’t stress enough how this quality of life feature totally kills the Xbox controller Bluetooth.
Paddles in back.
Good D-pad, good buttons, good triggers, good build quality

For that price, there’s no competition.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
anyone who has an elite 2, take either of the sticks and click them in while trying to rotate the stick. do you feel that notchiness and that you can't smoothly turn the stick while it's "clicked in"?

this to me is a major design flaw of the elite v2, i just went back to the standard xbox controller.

In what possible circumstance do you need to turn the sticks while they're clicked in?

TrebleShot

I have the always green xbox series x controller, a gamesir t4 kaleid, a switch pro controller and a the ds5.

In order of preference\being hassle free on pc outside of steam games

Xbox controller, worse build quality than x360 controllers but the most hassle free by far on pc and i like the ergonomics
T4 kaleid best controller i have but it can have some problems with some games, hall effect sticks and triggers
Ds5, only use it on ps5, i hate symmetrical sticks and give 2 fucks about the useless gimmicks so it's usually the last choice on pc
Switch pro, super small and frail, not sure why people love it so much, probably kids with small hands or just going from ubershit joycons to a proper controller must be a huge relief
Yes sorry I think I have the Kaelid with the same features and gyro on the switch mode, its probably the closest ive got to endgame only issue not clicky triggers which the scuff has but def the most ergonomic of the light and so light, the rumble is decent too.

These days i prefer the 8bitdo ultimate wireless controller to anything else and I have most controllers. Xbox wireless dongle stinks and drops connections a lot in my experience.

I'm using an 8bit do pro 2 which I think is great. Comfortable and good battery life.
I always hear about these and not too expensive, but they look terrible lol, cant imagine how its comfortable isnt it just flat?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes sorry I think I have the Kaelid with the same features and gyro on the switch mode, its probably the closest ive got to endgame only issue not clicky triggers which the scuff has but def the most ergonomic of the light and so light, the rumble is decent too.

I always hear about these and not too expensive, but they look terrible lol, cant imagine how its comfortable isnt it just flat?
Only flaw of the kaleid is being too light, i like heavy ass controllers.

Calverz

Gold Member
That’s the best thing about pc gaming. You can chop and change depending on the game. Majority of times I will use a series controller. I use a dualsense for PlayStation studio games. And I use an 8bitdo for fighting games and 2d games.

Occasionally I will use my duke or my 360 controller for bants.

Danknugz

In what possible circumstance do you need to turn the sticks while they're clicked in?
it's rare but there's a couple games that require it for the way i play, but that's not really relevant, the fact is this happens with the elite v2 and not the standard controller, and i'm not sure if it was necessary for the way they designed the elite v2 or it was just an oversight, but being almost twice as much this is crazy to me.

I have a ton of controllers, for different consoles/devices. For playing pc games on pc, the regular xbox controller (i use the first elite on pc but I never thought it was worth).

If you want to emulate, the xbox controller too, unless you're playing games with specific needs like mgs (i play those with the dualshock 4), or you want gyro in games like botw/totk (I use the switch pro controller for cemu/ryujinx) .

I dunno what would be a good jack of all trades, probably a 3rd party one with a lot of connectivity. I own several that can be connected to phones and the switch etc, but since all I play are pc games, the regular xbox controller gives no headache whatsoever.

Last edited:

drotahorror

These days i prefer the 8bitdo ultimate wireless controller to anything else and I have most controllers. Xbox wireless dongle stinks and drops connections a lot in my experience.
I use the same controller and share your sentiments in regards to the Xbox dongle

I use a PS5 controller at night for how quiet it is though. Wired.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member

No, it's not flat. It has a very comfortable grip, with good weight to it. They feel very good in my hands. One of the best controllers I've used.

Elite 2 - but the A button is utter shite. I had to jam sellotape down the side to get it to register properly - unacceptable when you are spending £150.

On the plus side it otherwise feels great and the switch between BT and 2.4Ghz means I can switch use between desktop and laptop really easily.

I wanted to use a dualsense - but they are such a pain with PCs (setting up controls, prompts and even checking the battery is awkward).

Last edited:

BlackTron

I usually use Series or 360 but been tempted to get that 8bitdo one for a while. The existing options just aren't broken enough for me to go and buy yet another controller. I already have so many controllers for so many systems and many of them work on PC so I usually have the right tool for the right job. But I admit that 8bitdo seems to be the right tool for every job and doesn't appear to really have a flaw...

Topher

Gold Member
The hall effect version with Xbox button placement released earlier this month. I picked it up, pretty good.

Nice. I changed the button placement in my Switch version to Xbox. Had to crack it open, but it is fairly easy to do. Their key mapping software is really easy to use.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I went with the 8bitdo Ultimate after seeing all the praise for it here. I love it. Hall effect sticks + feels very similar to the Switch Pro controller.

Only minor gripe is that it has the Switch button labels but games identify it as an Xbox-type controller. So for games that don’t let you manually set the controller style, you better have the Xbox layout memorized.

rm082e

I stick with the standard Xbox controller. I buy them on sale and always keep a spare around because either the sticks start to drift, or the bumpers become unresponsive.

I tried the Kong controller with the hall effect sticks, but it had some weird issues in some games. I still have it, but went back to the Xbox controller.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
This is the perfect Switch Controller, the Perfect Steam Deck Controller(has exact button placement for additional steamdeck buttons) and the perfect PC controller.. it's just the best of all worlds

I have this for my Switch. Easily one of the best controllers ever made. Feels so good to hold.

Garibaldi

I've got the elite series 2 and a dual sense. The elite is probably the better of the two unless it's a Sony haptics title.

Then your usual fair. Thrust master wheel, fanatec pedals. Some Virpil constellation pro flight sticks and. Haute42 T16 hitbox for fighters

violence

Main: Xbox series controller

Gamesir t4 kaleid
if I want to use back paddles (Battlefield)

Duke controller to play Halo 1 during Christmas.

8bitdo Pro 2 or Dual shock 3/4 for emulation.

I didn’t like the feel of the 8bitdo ultimate and returned it.

Topher

Gold Member
I've got the elite series 2 and a dual sense. The elite is probably the better of the two unless it's a Sony haptics title.

Then your usual fair. Thrust master wheel, fanatec pedals. Some Virpil constellation pro flight sticks and. Haute42 T16 hitbox for fighters

Quite the collection. I've got a Winwing flight stick which I really like. Virpil was a bit out of my price range.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have an Xbox One controller connected via bluetooth. Love it since it allows me to plug in the headphones directly into the gamepad which is quite convenient when playing on the couch.

Kabelly

Been using a DS4 because I already owned it and then eventually I bought a Dualsense. They've been great. No qualms. They're familiar to me. They have great gyro and many people have custom configurations for the Sony controllers.

The one issue is some games won't have Sony inputs so you have to train your brain to match the correct inputs.

MrRibeye

The one issue is some games won't have Sony inputs so you have to train your brain to match the correct inputs.

So true, I ran into this same problem a lot.

Best part of the 8BitDo is that you can quickly switch between modes for DualShock, Xbox and Switch Pro so your PC will recognize the 8BitDo as any of these. Whenever you play a game where your controller does not match the inputs on screen, you can quickly switch modes.

I have the Elite Series 2 but don't like it at all. A button is fucking trash and the sticks don't feel right to me no matter the tension.

Really like the look of the 8bitdo controller though.

Holammer

I used Playstation controllers on my PC since the first adapter for Dualshock. DS3 in particular saw a lot of use and now I'm on the DualSense.
It's perfect for emulation and general use. The haptics outstanding in supported games.

Top Bottom