• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Why would you do that? said:
I tried Configurable, and it really annoyed me because it seems so disorganized, menu-wise and control-wise. It took me a long time to find the menu to get all missing covers and change themes (I had to push 1 on a game to go to the game settings, then push it again to go to global settings) and the function of all of the buttons are weird to me... like, in a menu, I can't push A to advance, or else I'd load a game. This loader does many things right that others don't, and I noticed quite a few little things I liked... but the button layout would ultimately confuse me in the long run. So this loader is staying on my hard drive, when I don't have an SD card in.

To me, Coverfloader looks very nice, and Configurable is... well, very configurable and fast, and USB Loader GX is very user friendly and fast. I guess I prefer the latter.

That's fair, it is a bit confusing to learn the control scheme at first. However, I can think of a quick fix that might make it work the way you want:

The only menu that you can't push A on is the confirmation menu before you play the game, and it tells you to push 1 for the options, but I guess that could be fixed to add a selectable choice that defaults to Start but also allows you to select to go to options and/or global options. It wouldn't change default operation, and seems like an easy fix that would probably be quick enough to make it into the next version. I'll let oggzee know.

Are there any other confusing elements of the controls that you would like improved?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Why would you do that? said:
I wonder when this will come to America. I don't have a DSi flashcard, as I'm hoping for a software hack over the SD card, but I might finally have pictures on my pictureless Facebook profile.

It's weird that it is Facebook, though. Isn't Mixi more popular in Japan?

It's now on my Australian DSi too, America try it if you don't want to lose Flash Cards yet.

Clipper said:
Are there any other confusing elements of the controls that you would like improved?

Hmm... Most of my other control complaints have to do with the behavior of the d-pad buttons. Also, pushing + and - to move left and right between pages in something on the Wii is natural to me, but I almost deleted a game when trying that. I don't want to say anything more, because it might just sound like I'm nitpicking, and I'm starting to feel like that in order for me to get the most out of this loader, I'll need to configure it myself. It even looks like I can somewhat change the button layouts, so I eagerly await doing so (later on, it's after 4 am and sleepiness blah)

VOOK said:
It's now on my Australian DSi too, America try it if you don't want to lose Flash Cards yet.

Splendid. Will try before I sleep.

Christine

Clipper said:
I'll let oggzee know.

I'd like to be able to use it better with a guitar controller. Using the face buttons/d-pad on the list view is fine, but I currently have to remove the door to the remote compartment so I can press 'b' to get to that view. --- I guess buttons=options_B will help me here

Of course, being able to use the analog stick/green button (or maybe the strum bar in coverflow) on the GUI menu would be even better, but I can definitely see why that's not a priority.

As long as I'm wishing for things, though - It would be really sweet if one of the loaders would let me rip my own GameCube discs for use in Dolphin.

Clipper

v38b of Configurable is out and it has a few of the features people have been asking for. The important ones are:

* Added WiiMote pointer scrolling in coverflow modes - as you move the pointer towards
the edge of the screen, the covers automatically move. Also, the movement speed
increases as the pointer approaches the edge.
* Added random music playing - all .mp3 or .mod files in the base
folder will play randomly (sd:/usb-loader by default)

I'm now glad I updated the GAF theme to coverflow3d a few days ago, as we now have the better control scheme of gridflow with the aesthetic of the coverflow modes :D.

Clipper

TwinIonEngines said:
buttons = options_B isn't working. 'B' is still GUI/Back, and '1' is still options. Updated to 38b through the loader.
Oops, I think I remember oggzee mentioning that that option stopped working a while back. He was going to fix it but probably forgot. I've let him know again.

Nabs

Clipper said:
v38b of Configurable is out and it has a few of the features people have been asking for. The important ones are:

ah nice, coverflow scrolling was something i was thinking of.

but music isn't working for me anymore. hmm. (i have music.mp3 in my /usb-loader folder, along with music = 1 in config)

edit: ok music = 1 seems broken for now, but music = music.mp3 works fine. phew.

Christine

Okay, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've got a small aesthetic criticism of the coverflow GUI in Configurable. I don't like how the reflections are transparent - reducing the opacity to create the 'diffuse reflection' look is fine, but it shouldn't draw the occluded portion of the boxes. The same effect is also used in the layout where the boxes advance into the foreground to the left/retreat into the background on the right, and in that one both the box and the reflection are effectively transparent.

The pointer scrolling could also use a bit of tweaking at the screen edges - I know this is tricky because the program loses all pointer input when the remote can't see the sensor bar, but something as simple as keeping the scroll velocity at maximum for a few tenths of a second after the pointer goes out of range will help the feel a lot. If someone is pointing near the edge of the range, what tends to happen is that they'll pop back and forth right over the edge of it. Right now that makes the scrolling stop and start, but a small delay before the scrolling stops should smooth it out.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there a way in CFG coverflow mode to have just the covers without the name of the game below it's cover? The black tiny font is so fucking ugly it kills my eyes

Also, will we ever go back to speak about the homebrew scene other than the loaders or that is definitely a dead topic itt? I've tried a few times but hardly anybody noticed :/

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Is there a way in CFG coverflow mode to have just the covers without the name of the game below it's cover? The black tiny font is so fucking ugly it kills my eyes
Try setting "gui_text_color=00000000". The format is RRGGBBAA for hexadecimal values of red, green, blue and alpha. Setting alpha to zero should make the text completely transparent.

You can also change the font to any other font you like if you want to make it look better. Take a look at the font.png example found in sd:/USB-Loader/resources. Edit it and place the file in a theme or the base directory and it will use that font instead. If the alpha colouring doesn't work, then just erasing the content of font.png should.
Also, will we ever go back to speak about the homebrew scene other than the loaders or that is definitely a dead topic itt? I've tried a few times but hardly anybody noticed :/
I've read and appreciated your comments on that. But it's probably just that the loaders are so much more interesting at the moment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When using the NUS downloader am I supposed to rename the WAD files to what is listed in the tutorial? Because, for example, when I download 000000010000000F v257 it does not create IOS15-64-v257.wad, instead creating 000000010000000F-NUS-v257.wad.

Trucha then does not recognise them.

Clipper

EatChildren said:
When using the NUS downloader am I supposed to rename the WAD files to what is listed in the tutorial? Because, for example, when I download 000000010000000F v257 it does not create IOS15-64-v257.wad, instead creating 000000010000000F-NUS-v257.wad.

Trucha then does not recognise them.
From the tutorial:
* If your Wii is not connected to the Internet, you need to get NUS Downloader from [*http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader this page] on your PC then (using the Pack->WAD option and renaming):
Edit: And I just made it a little more obvious on the site.

First of all, thanks to Clipper and all the GAF members who put together one amazing resource!

I'm on 4.1J with the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader so far (and loving them), but am wondering if anyone knows about getting Preloader or StartPatch working on a Japanese region Wii?

I'd be fine with either, but Preloader only seems to have hack codes out for US and European consoles, never Japan. StartPatch gives me either a file size error (that has been brought up but never addressed on other forums, only seems to affect the Japanese files) or a DOL installation error (that several other people have reported fixing by removing Preloader, which I have never installed).

Clipper

eznark said:
I just got Wii Sports Resort, will the mandatory system update wreck the USB Loader capabilities?
http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade

kruis said:
Is there a site out there that lists all Wii games and what fixes to apply to get a game running with a USB loader? Something like the PS2 Hard Drive - Game Compatibility List
If you use rev 14 of IOS249, then the only problems you will have are with the games in Problem Category 1 of this list.

Those with an asterisk (and Red Steel which should have an asterisk) work with the alternative .dol method. The others don't work at all.

The only other settings you would need would usually need to change would be Vid_TV patch for Japanese imports and force video modes for other imports.

Oh, and SSBB has problems playing some videos with rev14, but it seems to be an isolated error.

suikodan

Do the HBC and apps run fine with SDHC cards? I have a Kingston 16gb card and sometimes, it "disappear" wether I am in the HBC or some apps.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
suikodan said:
Do the HBC and apps run fine with SDHC cards? I have a Kingston 16gb card and sometimes, it "disappear" wether I am in the HBC or some apps.

Anyone experiencing something similar?
Same thing happens with my CoreMicro 8GB SDHC card. When I boot my Wii and start HBC it'll list all my apps. If I run one of my apps and return to the HBC then it won't list any of my apps until I reboot my Wii. I'm just going to move everything I can to the FAT32 partition of my HDD and use a smaller SD card I have.

Mudkips

Banned
Moving back to my 2 GB SD card let me use BootMii (boot2).

Is there no "skip the damned health and safety warning" option for BootMii?

The Hermit

I decided update my cis 13a to 14 and BAM USB loader GX stop working... it won't even start!
I upgraded the .dol file and nothing... then I decided to use CFG Usb loader. Worked once, tried again and nothing...

Can I go back to 13a? I am so sad that I fucked up my Wii.... :(

Clipper

Baiano19 said:
I decided update my cis 13a to 14 and BAM USB loader GX stop working... it won't even start!
I upgraded the .dol file and nothing... then I decided to use CFG Usb loader. Worked once, tried again and nothing...

Can I go back to 13a? I am so sad that I fucked up my Wii.... :(
Sure, just run the rev 13 installer. However, I'd like to try to troubleshoot this situation as it makes no sense that 14 won't work but 13 will.

Try reinstalling rev 14. If you used the network installation before, try the non-networked one now.

Actually, I can't think of anything else to do, so just try that before reverting to 13.

Mudkips said:
Moving back to my 2 GB SD card let me use BootMii (boot2).

Is there no "skip the damned health and safety warning" option for BootMii?
No there isn't. BootMii is not there to make aesthetic changes, it is there to protect your Wii. If you want to avoid health screens and so on, use Preloader.

fernoca

More noob-like questions, sorry..I just want to be safe:

1. Assuming I get one of those higher capacity SD cards (SDHC I think it is): What's the biggest size the Wii recognizes?

2. Re: #1; after getting one am I safe by just copy-pasting the content from the original SD to the new one? ( friend told me the SD card is tied to the Wii)

3. Any way to run .wad /channels from the SD card (after 4.0 Wii update)? Copying/Moving the channels from the Wii directly to the SD Channel doesn't seem to work since all I get is a 'Failure to launch' message, no matter if it is a homebrew related channel or an official one. I'm on 4.1 right now, searching around I saw some post directing me to download a 'CIOS60' or something like that...

HUELEN10

fernoca said:

1. Assuming I get one of those higher capacity SD cards (SDHC I think it is): What's the biggest size the Wii recognizes?

2. Re: #1; after getting one am I safe by just copy-pasting the content from the original SD to the new one? ( friend told me the SD card is tied to the Wii)

3. Any way to run .wad /channels from the SD card (after 4.0 Wii update)? Copying/Moving the channels from the Wii directly to the SD Channel doesn't seem to work since all I get is a 'Failure to launch' message, no matter if it is a homebrew related channel or an official one. I'm on 4.1 right now, searching around I saw some post directing me to download a 'CIOS60' or something like that...
1. 32 GB if memory serves right. Keep in mind that older Wii games do not support SDHC cards.
2. SD cards are not tied, so do as you please.

Clipper

fernoca said:

I thought it was 8GB, but some people seem to have 16GB ones going. Somebody else should really answer this one (Thanks HUELEN10). In any case, many SDHC cards will not work with homebrew. You may be best just sticking with a 2GB SD.

Your friend is mistaken (I think). Copying it across should work. However, you can't take your SD card to another Wii; that is probably what confused him.

Do not try to do any of this crap. Every .wad channel you have installed to your Wii is Trucha signed and your Wii will not let you copy it around. Installing new IOS versions, especially for the system menu (IOS60) is extremely dangerous and not worth the risk.

If you absolutely must do this (and I still recommend you don't), wait for the NAND emulator software for rev 14 comes out. This apparently allows you to trick your entire Wii to run from the USB drive.

Edit: Wait a sec... Just saw the mention of official channels not working. That should not be the case. Something you installed is screwing with the system. What have you got on there?

The Hermit

Clipper said:
Sure, just run the rev 13 installer. However, I'd like to try to troubleshoot this situation as it makes no sense that 14 won't work but 13 will.

Try reinstalling rev 14. If you used the network installation before, try the non-networked one now.

Actually, I can't think of anything else to do, so just try that before reverting to 13.

Its quite a weird problem actually... for instance, when I loaded both USb loaders with the HD off and turned it on afterwards, the CFG loader works but the GX loader ask to reformat the HD, but it fails.

Also, since I don´t have Wi-Fi, I´ve installed via wad. Tried to re-install, but itgave me an "exception error" or something like that...

fernoca

Thanks..as always Clipper..and Huelen. ;)

Clipper said:
Edit: Wait a sec... Just saw the mention of official channels not working. That should not be the case. Something you installed is screwing with the system. What have you got on there?
Yeah..solved that..was some random file, from when I was installing a wad/channel to play Wii games directly....decided to go back and just manually select the title from the USBLoader..

I have a problem with super smash bros brawl PAL with usb loaders.
When I try to launch an event in the subspacial emissary, I get a disc error message :eek:
Could it be because I installed the game from USB launcher GX ?

If I delete the game reinstall it with the configurable USB launcher, will it work ?

Nabs

not sure, but i'd give it a shot. i saw a thread on gbatemp where someone had the same problem, and solved it by re-ripping it.

Nabs said:
not sure, but i'd give it a shot. i saw a thread on gbatemp where someone had the same problem, and solved it by re-ripping it.

Thanks, I think I must rerip all my games tough because it seems I can't manage the hdd with an x86 and x64 windows :(

fernoca

Hey, Clipper..is there any newsfeed/newsletter/etc..that I could subscribe to..to stay up to date? :p

So if there's a new IOS..or update..or something I receive it first hand or directly to my email, instead of reading the entire thread or asking like dumb on here..or searching random sites online?? :p

Clipper

EDIT: v38 (release version) of Configurable is out. It has quite a few really nice improvements:

* Fixed searching for .mp3 files
* Fine tuned wiimote pointer scrolling in coverflow
* Bigger default gui font
* Added options: gui_text_outline=AA gui_text_shadow=AA
AA is the hexadecimal alpha value or a full color RRGGBBAA
* Added a better selection of fonts
* Removed a few old themes (ultimate, stars)
* Updated titles.txt
The newer font looks quite a bit nicer than the old one and the coverflow scrolling works better and faster and doesn't have as big a problem with the edges of the screen.

koam said:
Do all Wiis work with homebrew chan now? or are newer ones still unhackable?
All Wiis work with both the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader

Me_Marcadet said:
I have a problem with super smash bros brawl PAL with usb loaders.
When I try to launch an event in the subspacial emissary, I get a disc error message :eek:
Could it be because I installed the game from USB launcher GX ?

If I delete the game reinstall it with the configurable USB launcher, will it work ?
You have rev 14 of IOS249 don't you? That is the one and only game that is experiencing confirmed problems with rev 14. It seems to be something to do with it being a two-layer game. Try using Hermes' IOS 222/223 to play Brawl. Rev 14 is still the best for everything else.

fernoca said:
Hey, Clipper..is there any newsfeed/newsletter/etc..that I could subscribe to..to stay up to date? :p

So if there's a new IOS..or update..or something I receive it first hand or directly to my email, instead of reading the entire thread or asking like dumb on here..or searching random sites online?? :p
There are a few sites around, but nothing I'd trust to be up to date with the latest news any more. My suggestion is to try to keep following this thread, or possibly just look at the recent page revisions on GWHT to see what I've recently updated :p.

Had my first issue with a game today. I tried to throw Deadly Creatures onto the flash drive I've been using for USB Loader since it was working my Wii drive pretty hard. But when I tried to launch it I got a green screen and then the Wii went back to its menu.

The second attempt gave me a black screen that said insert Deadly Creatures disc. Is this the result of a bad dump?

Clipper

comedy bomb said:
Had my first issue with a game today. I tried to throw Deadly Creatures onto the flash drive I've been using for USB Loader since it was working my Wii drive pretty hard. But when I tried to launch it I got a green screen and then the Wii went back to its menu.

The second attempt gave me a black screen that said insert Deadly Creatures disc. Is this the result of a bad dump?
What IOS revision number are you using?

Pezking

I have an american Wii and think about buying the european version of "EA Sports Active".

In 2008, I bought the german "Wii Fit" and played it via Gecko OS - only to find out that the internal clock/date resets every time I used Gecko OS, which made "Wii Fit" unplayable.

Luckily, I found someone who wanted to swap the german Version of the game with the american one, so that problem was solved quickly.

Is this "date bug" still existant unter Gecko 1.9.1 and the current Homebrew Channel? Buying "EA Sports Active" in a store here would be much cheaper than importing.

Edit: Found the answer: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS/Changelog
2. Date and Time issue fixed in games like Wii Sports

Clipper

OK, so I've been playing with the font options of v38 and thought I'd try out the GAF colours for the text to see if they worked:

screenshot11.png

I'm not sure I like it, so I probably won't put it into the default theme, but does anybody have a set of colours for the outline/font that they do want added in there?

Edit: Ooh, I just found out had to create the font files from a normal font. Does anybody know what the font for the NeoGAF logo is? I'll definitely add that to the theme if somebody can find it for me :).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, font colouring doesn't work. Is there any way we can clean up the logos so they're a bit less pixelated and rough?

Clipper

EatChildren said:
Yeah, font colouring doesn't work. Is there any way we can clean up the logos so they're a bit less pixelated and rough?
You mean that the GAF font colours don't work, right? The actual font colour options work great, you just need some colours that work together. And the logo is actually the mouse pointer. I did my best to try to cut the logo out of the image at the top of the forums, but it got a bit pixellated and scaling just made it worse. If somebody can do a better job, I'd be happy to add it into the theme.

Oh, and please check my edit in the previous post if you missed it, just in case.

HUELEN10

Clipper said:
You mean that the GAF font colours don't work, right? The actual font colour options work great, you just need some colours that work together. And the logo is actually the mouse pointer. I did my best to try to cut the logo out of the image at the top of the forums, but it got a bit pixellated and scaling just made it worse. If somebody can do a better job, I'd be happy to add it into the theme.
logo.png

proposal.png

cursorproposalbyHUEME10.png

23jo0ok.png

HUGE 9000X3298 SUPER-HI RESOLUTION NEOGAF LOGO IN ZIPPED DOWNLOAD BELOW. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PICTOFY!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1ynykndklyi

Vectoring is AWESOME!

BTW Clipper, I am posting these just because. If the mods/admins don't want you using these for the loader, or any other purposes for that matter, then do not use them. I don't want these being used for anything that may be looked down upon.

Clipper

HUELEN10 said:
<<< Super Hi-Res Logo Awesomeness >>>

Vectoring is AWESOME!

BTW Clipper, I am posting these just because. If the mods/admins don't want you using these for the loader, or any other purposes for that matter, then do not use them. I don't want these being used for anything that may be looked down upon.
Wow, thanks for that. Those will massively improve the quality of the themes. It's too late for me to do any work on it tonight, but check your PMs. Boy this is awesome.

Looks like we're still looking for the real NeoGAF font though... It'd be great to have that for the games listing :D.

Oh, and yes, I agree that I will remove any and all GAF logo/branding from the theme and tutorial if the mods let me know this is wrong.

Clipper

fernoca said:
:O!
How I can get that theme? I love that look..though I'd prefer it without the GAF logo.. :p
The GAF logo is the Wii pointer, but it is easy enough to remove. It's available here. Descriptions of how to alter the theme are here.

Oh, and if you really want those text colours, add "gui_text_color=666666FF" to USB-Loader/themes/GAF/theme.txt and "gui_text_outline=F18219FF" to apps/USBLoader/config.txt. To get rid of or change the GAF logo, just delete or edit USB-Loader/themes/GAF/pointer.png.

Oh, and the theme is going to get a massive update very soon. HUELEN10 has agreed to update my old crappy versions to new ones with the high-res art :D.

HUELEN10

Clipper said:
Oh, and the theme is going to get a massive update very soon. HUELEN10 has agreed to update my old crappy versions to new ones with the high-res art :D.
Working on it as we speak actually. Should have time to be done with it in a day or 2. I want to make sure that this time we make the gui and/or theme overscan safe, that way no one gets left out! I PMed Dragona about the use of GAF logos and such,since she is in the thread quite often, but she hasn't replied yet. Either way, official logo or not, everything looks good to go! :D Still, it would be great to get the go-ahead!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Updated to Cfg USB Loader v38 yesterday, and it seems all kinds of solid.
I also updated Hermes cIOS202/222/223 to v3 last night, and that seems to have broken Cfg USB Loader. I had to switch back to Wanin's cIOS249 rev14 last night just to get the loader working again.

Is this a known issue? Is it something that is slated to be fixed?

Top Bottom