• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX: a streaming device?

Castef

Banned
After looking at the latest rumors about it (especially the one about the 150 USD price tag) I'm starting to suspect that the next Nintendo NX will be some kind of streaming device for games, eventually compatible with Android software.

Like, a networked evolution of the Wii U Gamepad.

Is that plausible to you? And, in case, would you buy it?

Daedardus

They have a hard time handling network capabilities and now you think they are making a streaming device? I doubt they (Or DeNA) have much expertise on that topic.

NX will be a box console but I'm pretty sure all the rumours have indicated that a streaming handheld device will form part of that package. As OP says, likely to be an evolution of the WiiU pad.

Jackano

It's Nintendo... Online services isn't exactly their thing. It's plausible to have one anyway and IMO you need that kind of service nowadays.
I don't believe NW is a streaming service, though, just possible to have one at one point to be clear.
Maybe this tech could have helped the virtual console in the past but things are definitely going better recently, very good :)

jobrro

I don't think so.

From what I know there will be two versions of similar hardware (not necessarily released at the same time) with probably pretty different specs which allows for the developers to easily transfer software between systems. I imagine the portable running on the equivalent of 'Very Low' settings and the console to run on 'High' settings. Probably not every title will be released on both platforms, but it should be much easier for Nintendo to port from one to the other compared to Wii U and 3DS.

Hatchtag

Banned
Nintendo's been pushing against games as a service arguably more so than any other major publisher. There's simply no chance this will happen.

ninjabat

That would be suicide. Internet world wide is not yet good enough for a streaming device. Costs are too high for consumers.

If it is not a portable and also a console - with a dock - I don't think I want it

Combine both 3DS and Wii. Have all internal developers work on one platform instead of splitting them

Something about Amiibo

Drifters

After looking at the latest rumors about it (especially the one about the 150 USD price tag) I'm starting to suspect that the next Nintendo NX will be some kind of streaming device for games, eventually compatible with Android software.

Like, a networked evolution of the Wii U Gamepad.

Is that plausible to you? And, in case, would you buy it?

Here's the thing...

The NX will be a "hub" to Nintendo's ecosystem. It will have some sort of "dock" that you will put your handle held into that I believe will power the system while at home and output to 1080p and then have USB 3.0 for add-ons. The $150 is the "entry" point for the "hub". If I'm looking at things right, Nintendo is sort of playing their cards akin to Sonos, they pull you in and know that you'll want more than just one so you'll end up dropping 2 grand on a system (obviously not that much for Nintendo) but as the model follows.

Nintendo's death grip I think on the portable market signifies that they need something that does both home console and portable in order to streamline their portfolio and market share. It's far easier to develop games for a singular platform than have multiple ecosystems... Nintendo knows this.

Did I miss something? How does a product not even revealed yet have a USD price tag?

And also, no. Nintendo is by far the least likely of the big 3 to switch to a games as a service model.

jaosobno

Wait, there is a rumor that NX is a $150 device? Could someone point me to the direction of that rumor or at least elaborate?

ninjabat

That would be suicide. Internet world wide is not yet good enough for a streaming device. Costs are too high for consumers.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I wouldn't even get it if it was offered for free. Full physical game ownership or bust. I won' spend a cent on download games, let alone streaming, the devil in gaming form.

ISee

Yes of course it will be.
Nintendo got the money to build up a brand new and flawlessly working streaming infrastructure for europe, aisa, australia, north- and south america.

Edi

Neo Member
I remember when lwata said the streaming is the futur of gaming back in 2012 or 2013 i will try to find and post the full interview.

Kathian

Banned
This is so far from Nintendo's strengths and comfort zone. Truth is its cheaper (and more profitable) to see systems to households and let them worry about running cost, heat, network etc.

jonno394

I don't know. Why would you buy a smartphone or a tablet?

Don't pretend either of those are comparable. Outside of the initial download, neither of those require the internet to be able to play games, they are on the device. Your OP is hypothesising a network based streaming device, so you would need an internet connection at all times whenever you want to game.

Taker666

If I was a betting man, I'd be more willing to put money on Nintendo going back to using carts for their home console..

...over them making an online game streaming service/device.

Castef

Banned
If Sony isn't nailing it with help of Gaikai yet, Nintendo doesn't have the technological means to do it by far.

Nintendo had not expertise in motion controllers.

Then they put the Wii out of their hat.

I don't think the "They have no expertise on this" reasoning is valid in this case.

Caronte

Nintendo had not expertise in motion controllers.

Then they put the Wii out of their hat.

I don't think the "They have no expertise on this" reasoning is valid in this case.

The Wii was very successful, but it wasn't technically impressive. It's completely different.

Top Bottom