• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another Nintendo BC thread…disruptive iPod thread!

Seriously, Nintendo Switch is a disruptive device. Please read on…
I believe that the reason people get so upset about the Nintendo Backwards Compatibility issue is Nintendo caught lightening in a bottle with Switch. I fundamentally view Switch different than 3DS / Xbox / or Playstation.

Nintendo created the hybrid console that could play console quality games. Nintendo essentially created the first video game “iPOD”.
Nintendo Switch = Apple iPod. Everyone’s iPod at the time was a disruptive device that was ”personal” to consumers. A first of its kind. (Mainstream anyway). The Switch is the same way.

I am not sure Nintendo or consumers view it like this. I do believe Sony, Valve and Microsoft do! Recent revelations that MS is considering moving to ARM for next generation is another in a long line of comments that make me think, the traditional “box” console model will die for Xbox and they will move to “streaming” or a hybrid model as well. (Probably both).

Furthermore, I believe Sony’s PlayStation Portal is just a Trojan horse to see how much interest consumers have in the product without having to move to a full fledged handheld Or hybrid device.

DOES Nintendo need Switch 2 to be Backwards Compatible? NO!, it will likely sell well regardless. Will it outsell Switch 1 without BC? No idea, but I would think it is HIGHLY Unlikely.

Public trust would be eroded in Nintendo because of the lack of BC. Digital purchases would not mean anything.

The Nintendo Switch is also a “battery” backed device. We WILL NOT be playing Switch in ten years like we do older consoles today. The battery will mostly be expired. Then we will have no way to play these purchases without backwards compatibility.

What would have happened to iPod if every time you upgraded, you couldn’t play your old content? How would have that gone over with consumers? What about PC/Mac? iPhone / iPad?

The Nintendo switch has become “personal” for most everyone. We all have different point of view on how we use the device, when we use it, etc.
This is in my opinion, what some media are not grasping.

**Personally, in Nintendo’s defense though, I do not expect FREE graphics or performance upgrades of any kind**.

Should Nintendo choose to Not offer backwards compatibility, it would be a potentially monumental mistake. Especially, as it appears Nintendo‘s competitors are posed to copy them.

If Nintendo is really channeling Apple, as Nintendo executives have commented in the past about their admiration for Apple. It is time to be forward thinking and not be stuck in the past. Allow consumers to carry their content forward. No one says you can’t repackage it with upgrades and additional content. Those will sell anyway!

I don't need Princess Zelda or Princess Peach. I got my Genshin Gatcha Waifu's in my pocket.
But maybe if Zelda and Peach want to hop on over to my Cell Phone. I'll let em in.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It doesn't have anything to do with lightning in a bottle. It has everything to do with the Nintendo games I paid $60 for being playable on the next generation of hardware like my PlayStation and Xbox games are on PS5 and Xbox Series. Nintendo can go screw themselves if they try to sell me the same games again. I don't care about Apple comparisons.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
That's not really accurate.

Ipod took over more because p2p became a thing and it was the best marketed mp3 player.

Reminds me I just threw away my old zune yesterday actually.

That's not really accurate.

Ipod took over more because p2p became a thing and it was the best marketed mp3 player.

Reminds me I just threw away my old zune yesterday actually.
Yes, p2p became a thing prior to iPod. Then Apple and ITunes killed p2p with .99 songs. Anyway, I was referring to how Switch became a portable console and drawing a a comparison to how iPod changed the future with CD players And later with DVD, blu ray players.

Side note, Damn you got a lot of mileage out of that Zune. Awesome.

Last edited:
The Nintendo Switch is also a “battery” backed device. We WILL NOT be playing Switch in ten years like we do older consoles today. The battery will mostly be expired. Then we will have no way to play these purchases without backwards compatibility.

Batteries can be replaced though?

I agree with you that BC should be included with Switch 2, but comparing the Switch to the iPod is a stretch.

Even if the battery were fundamentally dead and third party / first party battery replacements didn't exist - wouldn't you still be able to play it docked?

LakeOf9

I understand your point though I disagree with some of the specifics.

Overall I agree, and I think Nintendo is smart enough to know that too, and the successor will be BC.

tr1p1ex

did AI write that?

Nintendo didn't do b/c with the Switch because of the architecture and form factor changes. Otherwise their policy has been to do b/c. Always been true with their handhelds. WAs true on their console for the previous 2 gens.

So there has been a 99.99% chance of b/c in Switch 2 for a long time now given there has been a 99.99% chance a similar enough form factor and underlying architecture will be used again.

The iPod comparison doesn't make sense. Switch was about merging the console and handheld business into one.

The success of the Switch might have others asking themselves whether or not the dedicated videogame market could move to a hybrid market. But ...don't think the answer is out on that yet.

did AI write that?

Nintendo didn't do b/c with the Switch because of the architecture and form factor changes. Otherwise their policy has been to do b/c. Always been true with their handhelds. WAs true on their console for the previous 2 gens.

So there has been a 99.99% chance of b/c in Switch 2 for a long time now given there has been a 99.99% chance a similar enough form factor and underlying architecture will be used again.

The iPod comparison doesn't make sense. Switch was about merging the console and handheld business into one.

The success of the Switch might have others asking themselves whether or not the dedicated videogame market could move to a hybrid market. But ...don't think the answer is out on that yet.
Ai did not write that. Even though Nintendo has traditionally allowed BC. It does not mean the Switch 2 will have BC. Especially with the piracy issues the Switch 1 has had.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes, p2p became a thing prior to iPod. Then Apple and ITunes killed p2p with .99 songs.
Itunes didn't kill p2p lol. The casuals who got into the market just went to itunes because computers are hard.
Anyway, I was referring to how Switch became a portable console and drawing a a comparison to how iPod changed the future with CD players And later with DVD, blu ray players.
Not really. Gameboy already did that, at least for my generation. If you mean the wow of 3d, the PSP was quite amazing when it came out.

The switch is just a tablet that plugs into your tv. It's like how the new macs are basically just big cell phones.
Side note, Damn you got a lot of mileage out of that Zune. Awesome.
It hasn't been used at all in like 6 years. I replaced the battery back in 2019 I think, but then replaced it with a Sony HQ mp3 player that can play 24 bit. The battery died again when I tried it yesterday cleaning some stuff up and it was time to call it. Half of the stupid plastic clips broke when I opened it the first time. Still, I'm going to miss those devices.

drotahorror

Itunes didn't kill p2p lol. The casuals who got into the market just went to itunes because computers are hard.

Not really. Gameboy already did that, at least for my generation. If you mean the wow of 3d, the PSP was quite amazing when it came out.

The switch is just a tablet that plugs into your tv. It's like how the new macs are basically just big cell phones.

It hasn't been used at all in like 6 years. I replaced the battery back in 2019 I think, but then replaced it with a Sony HQ mp3 player that can play 24 bit. The battery died again when I tried it yesterday cleaning some stuff up and it was time to call it. Half of the stupid plastic clips broke when I opened it the first time. Still, I'm going to miss those devices.
WX9V348.jpg

This little guy gets about 40-50 hours of use every year since I bought it in 2010. Still going strong, I only use it when push mowing outside. Only have to charge it about 3x a year.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Noooo. That hurts to hear. I had two and both were stolen, at some point I couldn't replace it anymore.
Half of the plastic clips were broken when I opened it to change the battery, and that battery was toast. Plus it doesn't support high end audio, and requires software that hasn't been updated in 10+ years.

I had good memories with it, but it's time had come.

Rat Rage

Nintendo created the hybrid console that could play console quality games. Nintendo essentially created the first video game “iPOD”.

What the fuck are you talking about? Nintendo didn't create anything new. The Nintendo Switch is essentially just a successor to the 3DS.

It's just a handheld console / device that you can hook up to a screen with detachable mini controllers. Even the detachable controller part isn't particularily new.

tr1p1ex

Ai did not write that. Even though Nintendo has traditionally allowed BC. It does not mean the Switch 2 will have BC. Especially with the piracy issues the Switch 1 has had.
Well if piracy is related to b/c and piracy was so bad that it affects the b/c decision then...your argument that public trust would be eroded if there is no b/c doesn't add up.

Because Nintendo would be forced into dropping b/c essentially. ;)

Anyway I don't buy that argument. I figure they have their ways to clamp down on piracy and I figure every console eventually get pirated... I don't think it will affect the decision.

Wii was pirated iirc. They still made the Wii U b/c. Pretty sure DS was pirated. 3ds still b/c. ...

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It doesn't have anything to do with lightning in a bottle. It has everything to do with the Nintendo games I paid $60 for being playable on the next generation of hardware like my PlayStation and Xbox games are on PS5 and Xbox Series. Nintendo can go screw themselves if they try to sell me the same games again. I don't care about Apple comparisons.
Yep, the expectation is there for both digital and physical library to be able to transfer to next gen as we saw with Xbox and PlayStation.

Nintendo can go and jump off the cliff if they don’t provide BC in Switch 2.

nbcjr

BC in switch 2 would mean that it accepts the switch 1 cartridges, which is not a given. Digital only bc would frustrate a lot of users.

Top Bottom