• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Switch 2' Doesn't Really Need Backwards Compatibility - Nintendolife

Does Switch 2 Really Need Backwards Compatibility?

• Yes

Votes: 336 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.9%

• Total voters

nikos

Doesn’t need it unless backwards compatible games end up being enhanced. The Switch OLED is nice and will probably remain so unless the Switch 2’s form factor is way better.

Deerock71

Half of their consoles lacked BC.
Their handhelds tended to allow it, so...
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
Of course it doesn't. Nintendo will very happily sell you the same games again.

(I can understand not having full BC, but still bitter about what happened to my Wii digital library, which should have been easily available on Switch)
I was just thinking the same thing. Nintendo would be cold blooded for killing backward compatibility just a resale you Switch games in the Nintendo store.
"Due to Nintendo's desire to resell you the game you've already bough, BC doesn't make sense"

middle-finger-laugh.gif
WTF? What makes you think most people will buy their Switch games again? I guess you have a weird view of Nintendo fans and most market in general.

People will get mad a them and will tell them to fuck off, will probably get the console and games but only a handful would re-purchase some of the current Switch games again.

So little gain for enormous risk, it makes no business sense since they want to make loyal customers, literally the reason why they created the current account system so future systems could get BC with currently purchased library. They've said so multiple times already.

Maybe im missing something here? When has a Nintendo system actually had BC?
All their handhelds have had BC. Wii and Wii U were BC. The only exception in the last 20 years or so is Switch due to the differences in architecture and physical interface compared to 3DS and Wii U.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Original Article:

Summary (via ChatGPT)

Nintendo historically has done a reasonably good job in having backwards compatibility so it's hard to imagine them forgoing it this time around unless the new system's architecture or control scheme is drastically different than the current Switch (like the Switch was to the Wii U and 3DS). I believe it will be a priority for them to transition their base over as quickly as possible and backwards compatibility would be a pretty critical selling point in the first year or two of sales.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch 2 can still be a success if it doesn't have backwards compatibility?
My 100 or so physical cartridges say otherwise!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
It worked for WiiU.

(and yes, I'm among the like 10 people that bought a WiiU, and a part of the problem)
But barely anyone knew Wii U existed and I mean it literally, people don't know there was a console after the Wii called the Wii U, I've mention it with non-enthusiast players and they have to be explained what the Wii U was. To most people out there MK8 and Zelda BOTW are Switch games.

Also even if Wii U was a success, the form factor, architecture and lack of second screen would make BC impossible in the Switch.

clarky

Gold Member
Off the top of my head:
  • Gameboy Color
  • Gameboy Advance
  • DS
  • 3DS
  • Wii
  • Wii U
I believe Switch is the first console they've had since the Gamecube that wasn't backwards compatible.
Nes, Snes, N64, and Wii and Switch did not have BC (again as far as im aware).

The Main home consoles basically.

Edit : Maybe the Wii and GC did?

Last edited:

Deerock71

But barely anyone knew Wii U existed and I mean it literally, people don't know there was a console after the Wii called the Wii U, I've mention it with non-enthusiast players and they have to be explained what the Wii U was. To most people out there MK8 and Zelda BOTW are Switch games.

Also even if Wii U was a success, the form factor, architecture and lack of second screen would make BC impossible in the Switch.
Wii U may be the biggest Nintendo fumble of all-time from a marketing standpoint.

WTF? What makes you think most people will buy their Switch games again? I guess you have a weird view of Nintendo fans and most market in general.
What I think people will do is irrelevant here. It's what Nintendo thinks that'll decide the fate of BC.

For the record I want the new system to have BC and genuinely think it will.

Last time they did BC was w/ Wii U? And we all know how that turned out.
Eh... kinda, not even a remotely similar situation though. Switch is *extremely popular*, for starters. And also in this day and age, people want their live games like Fortnite, etc to carry across platform. So BC is more of an expected built-in feature than ever now.

I think Nintendo will have decent BC for Switch 2.

Gambit2483

It worked for WiiU.

(and yes, I'm among the like 10 people that bought a WiiU, and a part of the problem)

Wii U sold so poorly that most people never even played those games and even those that owned the system either never played them or were willing to repurchase off the promise of New content AND portability.

Switch 2 doesn't have that excuse to resell the same games again.

JCK75

I have a steam deck that can play games from every generation ever.. if Switch 2 cannot at the very least play my switch games.. I ain't buying no switch 2.

welshrat

Sold my switch and kept the games, if this thing doesn't have backwards compat I will be done with Nintendo and just play Zelda on PC via emulators

Switch 2 not having BC for at least Switch titles would be absolutely ridiculous.........which is why I half expect that to be the case with Nintendo. And I'll still buy it like a sucker.

Switch 1 also didn't have an excuse to dismiss my Wii Virtual Console purchases either, but here we are.

But with the NSO service being shared across devices due to being a subscription with the intent of growing in size and value over time, that likely won’t ever happen again.

I assume the plan with Switch 2 is the starting point with NSO is what it is now as the baseline.

Smasher89

Just make a dock with cartridge slots, and with more backwards compatibility than we expect, but have it for a higher price than the base version with the base dock (then over time make it the standard dock). The dock in itself could be so much more than on switch so it could be a more developed concept that cound get into fruition on the next one.

KellyNole

It would be a bad decision on Nintendo's part not to have BC, especially if they are going with similar hardware. They have a whole catalog ready to go from launch. At minimal cost they give people access to games they may have not played or bought on the Switch. The games are already made, keep selling them. Everything else has BC these days. Don't mess it up Nintendo.

For me, Bc means day one. No BC, unless there is a killer game like Zelda or Mario, I am not jumping in. If it is like the Wii U launch, will be waiting a little bit.

fart town usa

Gold Member
BC is always nice but what does it matter in this case? No one is forcing you to sell your old Switch. Just hang on to it. It's not like it takes up a copious amount of space.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

If it doesn't have backwards compatibility, Nintendo would be screwing themselves having two hybrid console devices as separate platforms. They might do it to justify selling some of the same games to their fans again on the newer system though - I doubt it.

Last edited:
Just make a dock with cartridge slots, and with more backwards compatibility than we expect, but have it for a higher price than the base version with the base dock (then over time make it the standard dock). The dock in itself could be so much more than on switch so it could be a more developed concept that cound get into fruition on the next one.

I think the problem with that approach is they'd want to have an equal solution for both physical and digital buyers.

drotahorror

BC would be nice and I'm definitely going to be disappointed if it's not included. But due to the form factor of Switch games, I can't see them making the future systems BC for too long if they decide to offer BC. If they're nice, they'll let you play your old digital games you bought but even that is a stretch. Nintendo are the kings of nickel and diming folks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That is some of the dumbest clickbait shit I have read in a while. And this comes from someone who enjoys Nintendolife

Convenient features all add to the experience of a platform.

I get the impression if Nintendo did add backwards compatibility to the next system that website would be one of the first with an article lauding it.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
While it would most definitely be a factor for me, and could make the difference between buying it day one, or buying it after 1-2 years, I don't think it needs it to succeed.

The general public doesn't care about stuff like that. 80+% of all console users barely use it. It's mostly a talking point to get the hardcore nerds on your side, not something that makes (or costs) a company money.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
*States the next console don't need to play game from the previous console
*Suggests that NSO can be used to play games from previous consoles

I was considering voting no, but the article is so bad it made me change my mind to yes.

Is this guy applying for a job at Nintendo or what? That's why nobody take gaming journalists seriously.

Kataploom

Gold Member
What I think people will do is irrelevant here. It's what Nintendo thinks that'll decide the fate of BC.

For the record I want the new system to have BC and genuinely think it will.
It is not irrelevant, they won't do something that damages their market advantage, specially after they were almost gone after Wii U.

The reason they do stuff people don't like is because the ones complaining don't mean shit to their business, like some complaining their games never go down in price? Well, it's a small issue with better advantages in the end.

kiphalfton

Switch relied so damn heavily on previous gen ports, it would be an absolute slap in the face to not have backwards compatibility. I say that, as they'd do the same shit with Switch 2 as they did with Switch, and release whatever games are already on Switch and there would be nothing anybody could do but bend over and take it (if the Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible).

Last edited:
It is not irrelevant, they won't do something that damages their market advantage, specially after they were almost gone after Wii U.

The reason they do stuff people don't like is because the ones complaining don't mean shit to their business, like some complaining their games never go down in price? Well, it's a small issue with better advantages in the end.
I appreciate you holding my opinions in such high esteem. Check is in the mail! :messenger_grinning:

JimboJones

Anything that makes the transition to Switch 2 rougher than it needs to be should worry Nintendo, they should be making sure they have as much goodwill going into this thing as possible.

Top Bottom