• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Switch 2' Doesn't Really Need Backwards Compatibility - Nintendolife

Does Switch 2 Really Need Backwards Compatibility?

• Yes

Votes: 336 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.9%

• Total voters
Original Article:

Summary (via ChatGPT)
I'd love the next Nintendo console, 'Switch 2', to be backward compatible, allowing us to play older games on the new system. It's a convenient feature that offers peace of mind and eases the transition to a new console.

Lifelong gamers value compatibility for the assurance of accessing their existing library easily. Still, Switch owners are more likely to keep their old consoles handy, making it less of an issue compared to bulkier home consoles.

From Nintendo's perspective, emphasizing backward compatibility may not outweigh the potential drawbacks, such as hacking risks and piracy. Maintaining a clean break from the previous platform is crucial to establish the new system's identity.

Additionally, Nintendo might prefer not to re-release last-gen games. Unlike previous instances, where Wii U ports were essential due to its commercial failure, Switch has thrived, and beloved titles like Breath of the Wild don't need reissues.

For those concerned about retro games, NSO could offer a solution. While specifics may vary, maintaining this service is crucial for continuity.

Nintendo historically has done a reasonably good job in having backwards compatibility so it's hard to imagine them forgoing it this time around unless the new system's architecture or control scheme is drastically different than the current Switch (like the Switch was to the Wii U and 3DS). I believe it will be a priority for them to transition their base over as quickly as possible and backwards compatibility would be a pretty critical selling point in the first year or two of sales.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch 2 can still be a success if it doesn't have backwards compatibility?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yes it will still be a big success if it does not have BC but...I mean, it's 100% sure that it will be. That article is dumb dumb.

Hudo

If they want to keep their customers locked into their ecosystem, it better have BC. Otherwise you risk to lose your customers to a competing platform since a platform-move to the next Switch would be like a soft reset. This service-based, account-based, ecosystem-based business model requires that you can assure the customer that the shit he buys stays with him, so that he buys more shit and is more and more unlikely to change to another ecosystem.

nowhat

Of course it doesn't. Nintendo will very happily sell you the same games again.

(I can understand not having full BC, but still bitter about what happened to my Wii digital library, which should have been easily available on Switch)

diffusionx

Gold Member
If it is a “Switch 2” - yes or course it does. It is not 1995 anymore. This is expected with new devices. If it is a different device, a new paradigm, that is a different story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes. Why would I invest in an online library (what all our publishers actually want) if I'm not guaranteed to take my library with me?
This exactly. One of my personal determining factors when buying a digital game is "will I be able to play this in the future?". Nintendo has, so far, proven that they can't be trusted to carry a digital library forward - which is why I predominantly only buy Switch games on physical cartridges (and then rip them to my PC).

If a game is released for Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC (and is digital only) I'm more likely at this point to buy it on anything other than the Switch, especially digitally.

If the Switch 2 is announced to be backwards compatible, not only will I buy one Day One but I'll also pick up a handful of digital titles that I've been holding off on because their future is currently uncertain.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean.... Everyone buying a Switch 2 (or at least 90% of the people who do) already own a Switch 1. If no BC, just keep playing and finishing the games on your current one.

Klayzer

If it is a “Switch 2” - yes or course it does. It is not 1995 anymore. This is expected with new devices. If it is a different device, a new paradigm, that is a different story.
I think so as well. Unless its has very unique parts inside.

Gudji

Suck Up Yes Man GIF by Noise Nest Network

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Stupid clickbait article designed to do exactly what it’s doing right now, getting people annoyed and talking about it. Nah.

Deerock71

The title prompted a no vote out of me by mistake. Could some consistency between title and poll be implemented in the future? It better be backwards compatible.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe im missing something here? When has a Nintendo system actually had BC?
The WiiU could play Wii games
The Wii could play Gamecube games
The 3DS could play DS games
The DS could play Gameboy Advance games
The Gameboy Advance could play Gameboy Color and Gameboy games
The Gameboy Color could play Gameboy games

And that's not counting stuff like the SNES being able to play Gameboy games (with an adapter) or the Gamecube being able to play Gameboy Advance games (with an adapter). Or the mid-gen refreshes like the New 3DS or DSi also working with their existing library.

Last edited:
Top Bottom