• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Red Flags thread

BlackTron

Sony does that that for their own games but I believe 3rd party devs have the choice to charge for upgrade patches. Elden Ring upgrade was free on PS5 and XSX IIRC, FF7R PS5 upgrade was free too after a while.

Nintendo will intentionally avoid that entire conversation. Why allow 3rd party to offer an upgrade patch paving the way for people to ask "why is Tears of the Kingdom DX a new game when it could have been a $5 text file unlocking framerate?"

Majormaxxx

With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.
my predictions - no BC, the name will be Switch Nu, specs will be ps4 pro level with 4k docked

clarky

Gold Member
Battery life - if its a portable PS5 it's gonna need a fuck ton of juice.
Its not going to be a portable ps5.

Also just call it Super Nintendo Entertainment Switch 2 , or SNES2 for short. Yes I'm a genius.

If they do no BC again then as much as it will be self harm then im out. They cant keep selling us the same games over and over, especially as now I'm all digital.

(whom i kidding I'll still buy it day one.)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Its not going to be a portable ps5.

Also just call it Super Nintendo Entertainment Switch 2 , or SNES2 for short. Yes I'm a genius.

If they do no BC again then as much as it will be self harm then im out. They cant keep selling us the same games over and over, especially as now I'm all digital.

(whom i kidding I'll still buy it day one.)

As a gaming fan from the 90s it seems like a no brainer to call it Super Switch, but my marketing brain has reservations about it actually being a good name.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the overly obvious, extremely boring "Switch 2" is the best name possible, even though I personally hate it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Keep in mind “same thing but more powerful” was basically the GameCube formula. Powerful hardware, amazingly low price, great evolutions of all their most poplar franchises… and it was a big flop.

I just don’t think the average GAFer has any idea what the mainstream audience wants. I can’t imagine “same kind of games but now with almost-PS4 Pro graphics” is going to driive sales all that much.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Here’s the reality - we’ll take whatever the fuck Nintendo gives us, and lap it up like hungry dogs.

But yes, the smart business move from an outsiders perspective would be a carbon copy of the Switch with more power, BC, and evolved online okay.

But again - this is Nintendo so 🤷🏻‍♂️

BlackTron

Keep in mind “same thing but more powerful” was basically the GameCube formula. Powerful hardware, amazingly low price, great evolutions of all their most poplar franchises… and it was a big flop.

I just don’t think the average GAFer has any idea what the mainstream audience wants. I can’t imagine “same kind of games but now with almost-PS4 Pro graphics” is going to driive sales all that much.

Gamecube was basically N64 2, which itself lost huge market share. It also failed to do what things N64 did do right (purple lunchbox marketing, flailed messaging on Zelda and Mario games instead of all time megaton SM64 and OOT).

This time Switch got it right, and they are trying to continue doing it right. Since Switch is such a software-moving machine, I think they just need a new one so its tech doesn't fall too far behind.

I admire what Xbox has been able to do with BC and smart delivery, but honestly I'm not sure how much I really care if the Switch 2 has BC at all. I doubt I'd even really be all that annoyed if Nintendo tried to double dip by releasing deluxe versions of BotW, Mario Odyssey, etc. with marginally better visuals and some superfluous extras.

I don't even think the name matters that much. Even if they call it the Switch U it's unlikely to confuse anyone who's interested in purchasing it. It'll just make it trend more on social media with hyperbolic reactions about how dumb Nintendo is and claims that parents will just think the Switch and Switch U are the same thing. Then you'll get the troll who posts that they bought a Switch and pretends like they cannot understand why their Switch U game won't work on it.

The only few things that I think are crucially important is that the main SKU remains a hybrid and that they don't attempt to add an expensive new gimmick into the mix. In other words, don't change the formula too much because it's clearly still working.

Robb

Gold Member
Slow/last gen load times
Not using DLSS at all
Increased use of Denuvo
Bigger focus on cloud versions of games
Not having physical BC
Launching with Mario Kart 8: Deluxe Ultra
No OLED screen
Worse battery life than the launch Switch
No Ethernet port in the dock
Nintendo feeling invincible and starting to churn out more casual stuff (e.g. Wii Music and the likes)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Keep in mind “same thing but more powerful” was basically the GameCube formula. Powerful hardware, amazingly low price, great evolutions of all their most popular franchises… and it was a big flop.
The Gamecube also failed because of MiniDVDs and a weird controller that didn't have all the buttons needed for modern games at the time. Not to mention the N64 wasn't exactly the 3rd best selling console of all time, and it wasn't wildly popular and entrenched in pop culture the same way the Switch was.

I can see a Switch 2 doing about as well as 3DS did if it were naught but a power upgrade and improvements on many of the previous system's shortcomings

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.
Ill always find fascinating when someone in the same sentence wants to buy a new console and at the same time dont care at all about specs... its like an automatic defense mechanism nintendo fans developed to justify their behavior

If specs arent important at all.. why the fuck do you want a new console ? ... just hope nintendo continues to develop for the switch and never make you espend on a new console again

Last edited:

BlackTron

If it doesn't have full BC with Switch, it doesn't exist for me.

I find this funny honestly. If the new system launches with the best Mario game of all time, it doesn't exist because it doesn't play games you can already play on a cheap old POS system already.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I find this funny honestly. If the new system launches with the best Mario game of all time, it doesn't exist because it doesn't play games you can already play on a cheap old POS system already.
I have 4 Switches in my house (2 launch, 1 OLED, 1 Lite). If the Switch 2 doesn't play Switch games it'll be disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m gonna answer OPs question that they didn’t even answer themselves.

The biggest red flag for Switch 2 right now, in my opinion, are people placing too much surface-level faith in the current performance rumors without understanding the physicality of the tech that’s available.

Specifically, there’s been a recent clickbait headline that has been getting spun way out of control, leading some people to believe that the Switch 2 will somehow be as powerful as a PS5 or XSX.

While I have no reason to doubt that the Matrix Awakens demo was ported to a mobile chipset and was running on Switch 2 hardware, there is no possible way it could come close to current console power.

At this point, it’s been all but confirmed that the Switch 2 will be using Orin or an Orin derivative as its SoC, and it’s reasonably assumed that Nintendo will cap the TDP around 15-20W (likely even while docked). So just doing some simple math, a Switch 2 could have a maximum of around 2 tflops, with something like 1.3-1.5 being far more likely.

This puts it squarely in original PS4 range of power. Now, that isn’t the end of the story. With the help of DLSS and modern game engine optimizations, I do believe we’ll have visuals that are at least reasonably close to current gen console games (albeit at a lower resolution, with cherry-picked cutbacks). But even with all of that, we’re still looking at a device that’s 1/5th as powerful as consoles.

So, yeah. The red flag is all the nerd who are regurgitating clickbait stories and probably misleading the general gaming audience.

BlackTron

I have 4 Switches in my house (2 launch, 1 OLED, 1 Lite). If the Switch 2 doesn't play Switch games it'll be disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Agree, I really really want it to be BC, but as the main feature? Uh, the main feature of the existing Switch is playing Switch 1 games. I assume we are looking at Switch 2 to do something else.

Skifi28

I don't care what it launches with, I'm not starting a library from Zero yet again.

BlackTron

I don't care what it launches with, I'm not starting a library from Zero yet again.

This may come as a shock to you, but you will not need to start your library from Zero over again if Switch 2 is not BC.

All of your existing Nintendo Switch games will still be playable in a Nintendo Switch. Big N is not sending out a kill signal making all the hardware or carts die on Switch 2 launch.

Insane I know.

Skifi28

This may come as a shock to you, but you will not need to start your library from Zero over again if Switch 2 is not BC.

All of your existing Nintendo Switch games will still be playable in a Nintendo Switch. Big N is not sending out a kill signal making all the hardware or carts die on Switch 2 launch.

Insane I know.
I'm done collecting all previous generations of consoles to have access to my library. I have neither the space nor the patience to consantly plug and unplug different hardware depending on my mood. You can hoard as much as you like in your large cave, but don't assume everyone else will do the same.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm done collecting all previous generations of consoles to have access to my library. I have neither the space nor the patience to consantly plug and unplug different hardware depending on my mood. You can hoard as much as you like in your large cave, but don't assume everyone else will do the same.
It’s a 7 inch tablet?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Never expect BC on consoles.

I think it probably won't be as powerful as people are expecting. The same applies to the ps5 pro rumors.

If you go back and read what people predict for anything and then see what actually comes out, you see that people wildly predict things that are completely unrealistic. You won't really know until a few months after launch and the hype dies down. Then ultimately rumors of a switch 2 pro will come and the cycle repeats.

People just like to be excited about new products rather than actually enjoying them.

Last edited:

IAmRei

maybe take some grain of salt, and any specs that are rumored should be expected by half of it. You can dream high, but prepare for the landing, should the dream cant be reached, some folk said. i think ps4 level should be fine, it will be quite high to expect ps5 level without sacrificing the juice...

the red flag should come when there is no backward capability, it would be damaging their brand, i think...

Skifi28

You don't have a drawer you can shove it in? It's pretty small even with the dock and power cable.
The dock is 1.5 inches deep and 6 inches across? The cables are a standard USB C and HDMI?
I'm glad everyone decided to help me through these difficult times, but for the third time: I've decided to stop hoarding hardware to play all my library. Unless you have Nintendo stocks, I would suggest focusing on your own houses and drawers instead of trying to convince me otherwise.

the_master

I guess the one thing I DON’T want is just a more powerful Switch. I hope it has some new, unexpected gimmicks that get integrated into their games in fun ways. Stuff like Miiverse, Streetpass, dual screens, stereoscopic 3D, motion controls, etc are what made their hardware fun and interesting.

I’m sure I’ll still buy it day 1 whatever it is, but if it’s just like “same games you’ve played before, now in 4K” then that’s pretty boring.
I feel the oposite.
If they do a Vr only console, I will love it.
Any other stupid thing, I won’t care

BlackTron

Oh no. Nothing but a 7" handheld that plays all the SD card games I spent 6 years buying. Anything but that.

Edit: I could see what you mean for a giant lumbering Playstation. If PS5 didn't play PS4 games it would be mutiny. Imagine needing your PS5 AND PS4 Pro to cover everything. Insane.

But this is a dockable handheld. Is space really your concern here. Most people who get a new phone, tablet or laptop keep the old one in the house or in circulation with kids or for sub-uses unless they broke it. Again yeah would be great if it was BC. But people aren't gonna be buying it to play Switch 1 games they already bought Switch 1 for that and well saturated the market for it. It's an added bonus.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Most people who get a new phone, tablet or laptop keep the old one in the house or in circulation with kids or for sub-uses unless they broke it. Again yeah would be great if it was BC. But people aren't gonna be buying it to play Switch 1 games they already bought Switch 1 for that and well saturated the market for it. It's an added bonus.
And most people wouldn't upgrade their phones so regularly if they had to repurchase their apps and games all over every time they did.

skyfall

I'm glad everyone decided to help me through these difficult times, but for the third time: I've decided to stop hoarding hardware to play all my library. Unless you have Nintendo stocks, I would suggest focusing on your own houses and drawers instead of trying to convince me otherwise.

Calling it hoarding is unfair framing considering how small the item is. You could even give it to a friend or family to hold on to when you don't need it, you need to stop making excuses. You're really going to miss out an entire generation of Nintendo because you couldn't shove a tablet and few cables somewhere?

Last edited:
Ill always find fascinating when someone in the same sentence wants to buy a new console and at the same time dont care at all about specs... its like an automatic defense mechanism nintendo fans developed to justify their behavior

If specs arent important at all.. why the fuck do you want a new console ? ... just hope nintendo continues to develop for the switch and never make you espend on a new console again

I think you might be taking the “don’t care much for specs” comment the OP made a little too literally.

Skifi28

Oh no. Nothing but a 7" handheld that plays all the SD card games I spent 6 years buying. Anything but that.

Edit: I could see what you mean for a giant lumbering Playstation. If PS5 didn't play PS4 games it would be mutiny. Imagine needing your PS5 AND PS4 Pro to cover everything. Insane.

But this is a dockable handheld. Is space really your concern here. Most people who get a new phone, tablet or laptop keep the old one in the house or in circulation with kids or for sub-uses unless they broke it. Again yeah would be great if it was BC. But people aren't gonna be buying it to play Switch 1 games they already bought Switch 1 for that and well saturated the market for it. It's an added bonus.
Calling it hoarding is unfair framing considering how small the item is. You could even give it to a friend or family to hold on to when you don't need it, you need to stop making excuses. You're really going to miss out an entire generation of Nintendo because you couldn't shove a tablet and few cables somewhere?

This isn't about not being able to find available space in my house to store the darn thing, jesus. It's a principle, I want all my games in one place and want neither to collect 6 different hardware generations per console maker nor to have 30 consoles in front of my TV where I constantly have to plug and unplug them or be drowned in a sea of cables. It's 2023 and some things should be standard, if all the energy spent trying to convince me was directed towards Nintendo perhaps BC would have been guaranteed by now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No worries. I’m always here if you need advice on where to store something that’s smaller than one hardback book.

spons

Gold Member
I don't think it'll be backwards compatible, but I really really really really want it to be. I don't really care about much else. It'll be more powerful, probably the same form factor save a gimmick or two, but for everything that is still holy in this putrid world of ours, make it compatible with Switch games. I just want to safeguard my current collection of games without having to buy a backup Switch when the successor is released.

L*][*N*K

Banned

New games, I can’t play Tears of the Kingdom on a GameCube, I would have if that game was made for GameCube, really doesn’t need a genuis to figure it out. Maybe the reason why you are so obsessed with Specs is that you have been playing the same game since 2013 with upgraded graphics and frame rate every year??

BlackTron

This isn't about not being able to find available space in my house to store the darn thing, jesus. It's a principle, I want all my games in one place and want neither to collect 6 different hardware generations per console maker nor to have 30 consoles in front of my TV where I constantly have to plug and unplug them or be drowned in a sea of cables. It's 2023 and some things should be standard, if all the energy spent trying to convince me was directed towards Nintendo perhaps BC would have been guaranteed by now.
Again, I kinda agree except it's a Nintendo Switch.

Its specialty is switching. It might even use the same dock. I can't see myself giving a shit in the face of a new epic Nintendo game.

To each their own.

Edit: Watch it be BC, but you will end up re-buuilding your whole library from Zero anyway when they release standalone Switch 2 versions that are just the same game with FPS/res unlocked with 5 minute patch, because potato Switch mode will look like ass in comparison

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GAF’s biggest worry is that it hasn’t any glaring flaw. Nintendoomed threads and posts are what really keeps this place ticking deep down.

Top Bottom