• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024, Plans for the next fiscal year will be shared at the next meeting

daclynk

Nintendo Lifts Profit and Switch Sales Outlook After Profit Beat

The existing Switch will be Nintendo's "main business" heading into 2024, President Shuntaro Furukawa said on a conference call after the earnings report. The company's plan for the next fiscal year will be shared at its next earnings briefing, he added.

Those hopes firmed up with an Omdia forecast in January pointing to a new 8-inch Switch device coming in 2024. Now seven years old, the original hybrid-handheld console has outlived most rivals thanks to a succession of hit releases from Nintendo's creative studios.

Last year, however, it fell behind Sony Group Corp.'s surging PlayStation 5, which became the best-selling console in the US, according to Circana. Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox division also gained a big hit in January with Palworld, a game drawing inspiration from Nintendo's Pokémon franchise, which has attracted millions of players to the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Nintendo remained tight-lipped about any Switch successor plan, with Furukawa declining to comment beyond saying that the company is always researching new hardware and software. Nintendo would benefit from a hardware upgrade in contending with Sony's expanding PS5 user base and Microsoft's cloud-gaming push. The absence of marquee titles on its software release schedule this year is seen as another sign that the company is potentially holding releases back until it has the new platform in place.

"Nintendo is keeping their blockbusters in the oven for now, as they must make sure to have a killer lineup for when the Switch successor launches," industry analyst Serkan Toto said ahead of the earnings report.
Seems like there is still more life in switch. Q1 2025 switch 2 lunch then.

Lock if old. thread from resetera

FingerBang

Nintendo Lifts Profit and Switch Sales Outlook After Profit Beat

Lock if old. thread from resetera
That's not what it means though. A new console takes time to be profitable, that's why Sony and MS have released most of their games on last gen consoles for a few years.

It simply means they have still a good year planned for the Switch, regardless of the new console. I would expect many games to be cross platform, but to still sell more on the original.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Increasing their estimated Switch sales slightly. That thing will continue to sell even with a Switch 2 out and by the looks of things will just about become the biggest platform of all time. Believe it already is in Japan as of, like, today.

daclynk

That's not what it means though. A new console takes time to be profitable, that's why Sony and MS have released most of their games on last gen consoles for a few years.

It simply means they have still a good year planned for the Switch, regardless of the new console. I would expect many games to be cross platform, but to still sell more on the original.
by that logic wasn't the wiiu the main business its lunched when Wii was still on the market and also wasn't the same thing with the switch as well when wiiu also there. Its still remain to be seen what Nintendo do from here on the based on past experiences.

Mowcno

That's not what it means at all. Of course the current Switch is their main business in 2024. They have sold over 130m of them, they have multiple Switch titles scheduled and a successor wouldn't be launching until the very end of 2024. The current Switch will obviously make the most revenue and profit this year.

There is nothing in that comment that is evidence that their next console will not launch in the 2024 Calendar year.

We will find out one way or another if it's coming this year shortly, but this is nothing.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

That's not what it means at all. Of course the current Switch is their main business in 2024. They have sold over 130m of them, they have multiple Switch titles scheduled and a successor wouldn't be launching until the very end of 2024. The current Switch will obviously make the most revenue and profit this year.

There is nothing in that comment that is evidence that their next console will not launch in the 2024 Calendar year.

We will find out one way or another if it's coming this year shortly, but this is nothing.

Japan does not use calendar year from business. Its April ~ April. So early 2025 is still 2024 japanese fiscal year.

Mowcno

Japan does not use calendar year from business. Its April ~ April. So early 2025 is still 2024 japanese fiscal year.
Well the quote "The existing Switch will be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024" isn't clear if they are talking about the Fiscal Year or not, but now you mention it Fiscal Year in this case is probably the only thing that makes sense. Regardless that Switch would be their main business this coming fiscal year does not mean their next console will not launch.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Best selling console of all time, and arguably the best Nintendo console of all time...and I'm a SNES fanboy!
We have 3 Switch's in our house (original + 2 lights) and its great don't get me wrong but I just can't get into it, the kids love them though (or did, they are mostly playing PS5/Xbox now)

I've had all Nintendo consoles and handhelds except for the Wii U, starting at the NES, the last great Nintendo console for me was the N64.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nintendo always says how they have big plans for their old consoles/handhelds with lots of support etc (usually near the end of their fiscal years which end in March) and then shortly after announce a new console/handheld and drop support for the old one quickly.

Its a ...

a3b76dfd-4313-4351-9deb-42410c071242_text.gif

FingerBang

by that logic wasn't the wiiu the main business its lunched when Wii was still on the market and also wasn't the same thing with the switch as well when wiiu also there. Its still remain to be seen what Nintendo do from here on the based on past exexperiences.
The Wii U was such a disaster they had already stopped developing for it when the Switch came out. The Switch is one of the best selling consoles of all times. Not really comparable.

daclynk

Nintendo always says how they have big plans for their old consoles/handhelds with lots of support etc (usually near the end of their fiscal years which end in March) and then shortly after announce a new console/handheld and drop support for the old one quickly.

Its a ...

a3b76dfd-4313-4351-9deb-42410c071242_text.gif
Well that changed with the switch. we are still getting news releases 7yrs in the console life. So...

Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Well that changed with the switch. we are still getting news releases 7yrs in the console life. So...

Sorry for double post.

No that not what I said. I said that Nintendo always announces huge support the last year of a console's life and then abandons those plans once the next console is announced/out.

Above is that announcement of the support so we have to see what happens when Switch 2 is out before we can say whether their approach is the same or not.

Last edited:

Mowcno

No that not what I said. I said that Nintendo always announces huge support the last year of a console's life and then abandons those plans once the next console is announced/out.

Above is that announcement of the support so we have to see what happens when Switch 2 is out before we can say whether their approach is the same or not.
Yes. Here's a quote from Nintendo America in 2012 - "We sold 4 million new Wiis last year, and we think Wii still has a lot of life left in it. There’s a lot of parts of the expanded audience that still haven’t purchased one, and with the price becoming more and more accessible we think there’s a lot of runway ahead for the Wii."

I also recall them calling the DS a Third Pillar and not a GBA successor lol.

BlackTron

by that logic wasn't the wiiu the main business its lunched when Wii was still on the market and also wasn't the same thing with the switch as well when wiiu also there. Its still remain to be seen what Nintendo do from here on the based on past experiences.

The Wii U was never their main business at any point. Even in its "heyday" 3DS was really their main business lol.

daclynk

ok i understand what you are saying, People are saying this year is dry in term of releases but they forgot that last year by this time was the same as we didnt know how many games were coming that year. i guess we will see in the upcoming direct.

FingerBang

what of Nintendo Wii then?
What about it? It still was Nintendo's main business in 2013 when the Wii U was released, although its sales were stagnating by then.

They have an insane user base for the Switch; there's no way the Switch 2 would be more profitable in the few months it will be on the market in the year 2024. That doesn't mean Nintendo won't make games exclusively for the new consoles

Cue tons of people posting now that Switch 2 isn’t coming this year.

Newsflash: it is. Furukawa’s comment means *nothing* in relation to new hardware this year. It will take 1-2 years for the new platform to shoulder the burden of their console business and replace Switch as their main vehicle of revenue. This is normal.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So remember when they said the GBA was part of their main business and wouldn't immediately abandon it? Then they proceeded to immediately abandon the system?

Or when they where talking about the 3 pillar nonsense and than they ditched the DS not long after?

Or when they claimed that they wouldn't immediately stop supporting the 3DS and when they Switch took off they did exactly the opposite of what they said?

Yeah this is same thing all over again it's Nintendo's way of "covering their ass" in case things don't immediately work out for Nintendo's next system or if they have another Wii U situation and the system doesn't immediately gets off the shelves.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah this is same thing all over again it's Nintendo's way of "covering their ass" in case things don't immediately work out for Nintendo's next system or if they have another Wii U situation and the system doesn't immediately flies off the shelves.

It could be, but I don't even think it's necessary to be that. Maybe Switch 2 is releasing for holiday season this year, as most (smart) people here already guessed, which simply means that Nintendo's main business this year is Switch 1. Plain English.

ok i understand what you are saying, People are saying this year is dry in term of releases but they forgot that last year by this time was the same as we didnt know how many games were coming that year. i guess we will see in the upcoming direct.
It’s the same every single year. It’s so frustrating that people forget and have such short memories. We never know Nintendo’s full year lineup until they announce it early in the year and then further fill it in over the summer with the big holiday game(s).

This year will be different for sure, as new console launch years always are. But it will take 1-2 years for the new platform to take over the main share of their console business, even after it launches. Switch will absolutely have a good lineup through this year and into next, while they work to transition as many people as possible over to the new platform.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We have 3 Switch's in our house (original + 2 lights) and its great don't get me wrong but I just can't get into it, the kids love them though (or did, they are mostly playing PS5/Xbox now)

I've had all Nintendo consoles and handhelds except for the Wii U, starting at the NES, the last great Nintendo console for me was the N64.

N64 was great, Gamecube was great but switch is god tier level Nintendo hardware. I've enjoyed it since day one but I would have never thought that any console could eclipse the Super Nintendo for me. The switch has done that. I could make a list the size of my arm of the classic, amazing games theyve had on it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yes. Here's a quote from Nintendo America in 2012 - "We sold 4 million new Wiis last year, and we think Wii still has a lot of life left in it. There’s a lot of parts of the expanded audience that still haven’t purchased one, and with the price becoming more and more accessible we think there’s a lot of runway ahead for the Wii."

I also recall them calling the DS a Third Pillar and not a GBA successor lol.

Yes they said the exact same thing about the 3DS as well just after the Switch was announced.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It could be, but I don't even think it's necessary to be that. Maybe Switch 2 is releasing for holiday season this year, as most (smart) people here already guessed, which simply means that Nintendo's main business this year is Switch 1. Plain English.
I get that they say these sort of dumb things for the sake of their board of directors but to me it just looks like a lack of confidence in their product if they have to preemptively reassure themselves and/or their audience that things will be fine even if their next system doesn't immediately do well.

Last edited:

midnightAI

N64 was great, Gamecube was great but switch is god tier level Nintendo hardware. I've enjoyed it since day one but I would have never thought that any console could eclipse the Super Nintendo for me. The switch has done that. I could make a list the size of my arm of the classic, amazing games theyve had on it.
The best handheld I have every owned is the PSP and no-one can change my mind on that :) (I imported one from Japan, was one of the first in the UK to have one, ah the memories)

BlackTron

I get that they say these sort of dumb things for the sake of their board of directors but to me it just looks like a lack of confidence in their product if they have to preemptively reassurance themselves and/or their audience that things will be fine even if their next system doesn't immediately do well.

When did they do that? I see no damage control, simply telling the truth.

They go into 2024 with an installed user base of what may be the best performing console of all time, and still intend to sell games on it (and some systems) right up to the launch of the successor, which is not until the END of 2024.

If they did not state that Switch 1 is their "main business going into 2024", it would be an obvious and blatant lie. Edit: Unless it was coming out early in the year like Switch 1, which it obviously isn't.

Last edited:

Woopah

So remember when they said the GBA was part of their main business and wouldn't immediately abandon it? Then they proceeded to immediately abandon the system?

Or when they where talking about the 3 pillar nonsense and than they ditched the DS not long after?

Or when they claimed that they wouldn't immediately stop supporting the 3DS and when they Switch took off they did exactly the opposite of what they said?

Yeah this is same thing all over again it's Nintendo's way of "covering their ass" in case things don't immediately work out for Nintendo's next system or if they have another Wii U situation and the system doesn't immediately gets off the shelves.
Yes they said the exact same thing about the 3DS as well just after the Switch was announced.
And they did indeed continue producing the 3DS and publishing games for it for a couple of years after the Switch launched.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

When did they do that? I see no damage control, simply telling the truth.

They go into 2024 with an installed user base of what may be the best performing console of all time, and still intend to sell games on it (and some systems) right up to the launch of the successor, which is not until the END of 2024.

If they did not state that Switch 1 is their "main business going into 2024", it would be an obvious and blatant lie. Edit: Unless it was coming out early in the year like Switch 1, which it obviously isn't.
And they did indeed continue producing the 3DS and publishing games for it for a couple of years after the Switch launched.
I guess the main question here would be what sort of "main business" are they talking about here.

Is it "main business" as in a about 1-2 year release support like they did with the 3DS

Or is it "main business" as in we're talking about cross gen games?

Because one is preferable over the other.

Woopah

I guess the main question here would be what sort of "main business" are they talking about here.

Is it "main business" as in a about 1-2 year release support like they did with the 3DS

I think they mean main business as in the Switch 2 won't be out until the end of the year, and it's userbase will so low that the majority of their revenue in 2024 will still come from Switch.

I don't think it's a comment on game release plans.

BlackTron

Dude they're talking about the main thing they sell to make money. edit: you know this was in the context of an earnings report right. Like, for shareholders. They are talking about how much money comes in and from where. That's it

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

I don't think it's a comment on game release plans.
Perhaps you are right and I'm reading too much into this I guess we will have to wait and see for now.

But just so we're clear I prefer the 3DS route because this Cross Gen stuff took way too long to go away on PlayStation and the whole thing left a sour taste.

Last edited:

Woopah

Perhaps you are right and I'm reading too much into this I guess we will have to wait and see for now.

But just so we're clear I prefer the 3DS route because this Cross Gen stuff took way too long to go away on PlayStation and the whole thing left a sour taste.
I think it depends on the game.

I can absolutely see why a new Mario Kart or a 3D Mario should be next gen only. But I don't see a Luigi Mansion 2 or Paper Mario remake suffering from being cross gen.

Trunx81

Company announcements are to be taken as announcements from political parties: They won't tell you more than what's necessary.

Cross-gen periods becoming longer and longer will just continue and get worse, unfortunately, if it’s something you don’t care for because Console generations as we know them are breaking down because they’re not customer friendly to begin with. The vast majority people don’t understand what a console generation is anyway, outside of the hard-core. And game engines themselves are becoming so scalable that games that are in development right now for the most part are not made with only one or two Console specs in mind.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Switch is still selling remarkably well. A price cut can give it steam through the end of 2024 and another revision can increase margins.

There’s never a guarantee that your next product will be a hit, so they need to milk the Switch as long as possible. It also brings down costs of more powerful tech, which helps close the gap between Nintendo’s next console and the PS5.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
See? Switch is Nintendo 9th gen console. We will see new hardware from both Sony and Xbox before we see a switch successor.

LordOfChaos

The massive install base of Switches doesn't disappear the moment they launch a Switch 2, the Switch could be their "main business" even with a Switch 2 launch in 2024

If it launches in the second half and takes some time to scale the Switch would still be their main business for the year, and software will continue to target that huge install base for a while

Last edited:
Top Bottom