• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Sinks After Game Makers Say Switch 2 Pushed to 2025

spons

Gold Member
Nintendo Co. shares tumbled by as much as 8.8% after game-makers were told the company was pushing back the launch of its Switch successor to the beginning of next year.

The Kyoto-based company informed its game publishing partners that the release of the next-generation video game console will be delayed to the early months of 2025 from the last quarter of this year, Bloomberg News reported. Some of Nintendo’s partners were advised not to expect the still-unannounced console until March 2025 at the earliest.
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...after-game-makers-say-switch-2-pushed-to-2025

Doom85

Yeah, shareholders, they should rush the new console out even if there’s little software ready to come out with it. It worked wonders a decade or so ago when you made the same suggestion for Wii U…

That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Is this based on a rumor or does Bloomberg actually know that's what Nintendo said.

I just hope we get Metroid Prime 4 this year, I'm tired of waiting for Switch X.

Ozriel

M$FT
How can be derayed if it wasnt announced?? every year people say Siwtch 2 is coming out and they lie every year it will be 2027 my friends

It was different this year, though. Analysts and market watchers had reports from parts suppliers, display manufacturers and many others all strongly hinting at a 2024 release date.

Couple that with declining hardware sales and you can imagine the market strongly anticipating a Switch 2 this year.

SHBDQmA.jpg

This is just course correction anyway. Nintendo shares already rose two weeks ago in anticipation of a 2024 release. So its net neutral

Tsaki

How can be derayed if it wasnt announced?? every year people say Siwtch 2 is coming out and they lie every year it will be 2027 my friends
You don't need to have official confirmation that something is happening to know that it happened. We knew GTA6 existed before Rockstar released the trailer.
All platform holders have internal launch windows for their future platforms and they communicate those to their partners. If Nintendo wants robust 3rd party support for their next console, they'd have already talked with publishers about when to expect the hardware so that they plan and release games accordingly.
If Eurogamer, Bloomberg and VGC all have, independently, reached out to people in those companies and got a unanimous answer (2024 --> 2025), it's highly likely that it happened.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, shareholders, they should rush the new console out even if there’s little software ready to come out with it. It worked wonders a decade or so ago when you made the same suggestion for Wii U…

Wii U was announced what 2-3 years before it actually launched? Nah, Nintendo clearly was not entirely sure on how to follow the Switch up and managed to course correct well shifting resources from Wii U to designing and accelerating its successor. I would have wished them to save it like Sony did PS3, but maybe it was impossible.

Switch 2 seems to be in a similar situation… maybe. At some point Switch will run out of steam and if Switch 2 is not ready… do we have another Wii U situation? If they wanted a Switch Pro mid-gen refresh they could have already done it but they opted not to…

Not a big deal. It'll fly up the day Switch 2 (or whatever it's called) is officially announced. That's when it'll matter. If Nintendo revealed the Switch 2 and stocks don't go up (because investors have no faith in the product) then we raise the red flags. I don't anticipate that happening.

You are right, but…a counter argument would be, most of Nintendo’s major first party teams have put out one game on Switch. What have they been doing this whole time? Is this a case of poor management? I believe this is the narrative you will see going forward. It is a fair question, and a cause for concern. Truth is, we won’t have any idea until Nintendo reveal’s the next hardware.

I also think it is fair to question all these rumors to this point. Is Switch 2 really BC? Is it really an LCD screen, etc. Nintendo has a lot to talk about when it is time, and the questions will no longer be softballs in the investor meetings.

As for the insiders, they are going to get crushed. Possibly, rightfully so. We will see. Was the info they gave accurate or fabricated. Some of it was clearly fabricated.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Makes sense, no? Without Switch 2 or any heavy hitting games (neither Peach, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion or Metroid Prime 4 will do upwards of 5 million) it makes sense this'll be a hard year for Nintendo.

Even if Switch is still selling decent enough for it's age, it will still drop compared to last year and it's not gonna compete with PS5. Add to that there's no heavy hitter movie like Mario this year either.

I mean, it'd would be logical to assume Nintendo's revenue this year will be at least 25-30% lower than last year, so makes sense that share prices take a hit.

That being said, I'm still not convinced about the delay. Unless there's something going wrong with the manufactoring process or something, it doesn't make any sense to delay it.

Woopah

You are right, but…a counter argument would be, most of Nintendo’s major first party teams have put out one game on Switch. What have they been doing this whole time? Is this a case of poor management? I believe this is the narrative you will see going forward. It is a fair question.
Some have only done 1 (namely EPD8 and EPD9) and Retro has done 0. But apart from that most teams have done multiple Switch games.

Some have only done 1 (namely EPD8 and EPD9) and Retro has done 0. But apart from that most teams have done multiple Switch games.
I respect what your saying…but..

The “Deluxe” Wii U ports Can mostly be done in less than a years time. If you strip that away from most teams, the Animal Crossing team did a lot of work, Monolith did also (though, i believe they have multiple teams), and Game Freak (though this is a whole different topic).

Smash Ultimate, Mario Tennis, BOTW games had their bones and framework from their Wii U counterparts. Even though they were heavily improved.

Edit:

Look, game development is hard and each generation, takes longer to develop most games than the previous Gen. It is fair to ask questions of Nintendo at this point, due to Nintendo’s secrecy. MS and Sony are obviously very much in the spotlight due to lack of first party software. I don’t know if this is due completely to poor management, misunderstanding where the industry is going, or it is the pandemic workforce lag. It is an interesting conversation.

Last edited:

Woopah

I respect what your saying…but..

The “Deluxe” Wii U ports Can mostly be done in less than a years time. If you strip that away from most teams, the Animal Crossing team did a lot of work, Monolith did also (though, i believe they have multiple teams), and Game Freak (though this is a whole different topic).

Smash Ultimate, Mario Tennis, BOTW games had their bones and framework from their Wii U counterparts. Even though they were heavily improved.

Edit:

Look, game development is hard and each generation, takes longer to develop most games than the previous Gen. It is fair to ask questions of Nintendo at this point, due to Nintendo’s secrecy. MS and Sony are obviously very much in the spotlight due to lack of first party software. I don’t know if this is due completely to poor management, misunderstanding where the industry is going, or it is the pandemic workforce lag. It is an interesting conversation.
I'm not counting the Wii U ports here, just new games released on Switch and full remakes.

When you say "most of Nintendo’s major first party teams have put out one game on Switch", which teams are you referring to?

Three

People are giving any odd reasons they can come up with for the declining shares for everything. Sony down, oh it must be the margins, forecast or bizarrely PSVR2. Nintendo is down even though it has high margins oh it must be the switch delay. Take 2 is down and cut forecasts by $1B oh they must have moved GTA6.
Look gaming/spending is down this year guys. The market is just reacting.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Best time to buy. It will soar again on the switch 2 announcement.

It all could actually be stock manipulation by shady brokers knowing the announcement is coming soon. Rumors play a big role in the stock market these days.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Do you not realize that companies have product roadmaps planned out several years in advance? You think the Switch 2 R&D department has some open ended timeline with no target completion date?

Come on. This “it can’t be delayed unless they officially announced it” idea is one of the dumbest things that keeps popping up in this forum.

Ozriel

M$FT
People are giving any odd reasons they can come up with for the declining shares for everything. Sony down, oh it must be the margins, forecast or bizarrely PSVR2. Nintendo is down even though it has high margins oh it must be the switch delay. Take 2 is down and cut forecasts by $1B oh they must have moved GTA6.
Look gaming/spending is down this year guys. The market is just reacting.

Not exactly an ‘odd reason’ when the market is clearly reacting to reports of the Switch 2 being delayed, especially when the market reacted positively to strong software sales AND reports of a Switch 2 launch in 2024.

Internally delayed is still a delay. Whether it's public or not is sort of irrelevant. Third-parties up until last week were still working on games assuming a late 2024 release, so this affects a lot of plans, outside of just what Nintendo is going to do this year without the planned Switch successor. They'll probably have a light year of Switch software filled out with ports & remakes, and light on new games.

Last edited:
I'm not counting the Wii U ports here, just new games released on Switch and full remakes.

When you say "most of Nintendo’s major first party teams have put out one game on Switch", which teams are you referring to?
I guess to be clear, name ones that didn’t, not including Wii U ports and rom dumps.

What is your opinion on what is going on over at Nintendo?

Woopah

I guess to be clear, name ones that didn’t, not including Wii U ports and rom dumps.

What is your opinion on what is going on over at Nintendo?
Nearly all of them.

Of the internal EPD teams, EPD 3, 4, 5 and 10 have all done multiple games for the Switch.

Of the other teams they own, MonolithSoft, Next Level Games, and ND Cube also delivered multiple Switch games.

And then for external partners, Intelligent Systems, Platinum Games, HAL, Camelot, Gamefreak and Bandai Namco Studios delivered multiple Switch games too.

So basically I don't think anything is going on at Nintendo overall. They tend to publish 10 or more games a year, so they have a good output.

Obviously something was wrong at Retro, and potentially something went wrong at EPD8 too. EPD9 was wasted on Mario Kart Tour, which might not have been the best use of them.

Nearly all of them.

Of the internal EPD teams, EPD 3, 4, 5 and 10 have all done multiple games for the Switch.

Of the other teams they own, MonolithSoft, Next Level Games, and ND Cube also delivered multiple Switch games.

And then for external partners, Intelligent Systems, Platinum Games, HAL, Camelot, Gamefreak and Bandai Namco Studios delivered multiple Switch games too.

So basically I don't think anything is going on at Nintendo overall. They tend to publish 10 or more games a year, so they have a good output.

Obviously something was wrong at Retro, and potentially something went wrong at EPD8 too. EPD9 was wasted on Mario Kart Tour, which might not have been the best use of them.
I agree with you.

The games planning I was referring to was the fact that Nintendo needs to be able to schedule everything and anticipate things in which may cause delays.

That is wonderful that most teams had multiple projects. My question is, what caused delays for big games on Switch 2? If it is a major Launch game that is delayed? Why wasn’t this covered in advance? Nintendo is well known for sitting on projects (allegedly) until they are ready to schedule them in.

I don’t disagree with anything you said and appreciate the information. My statement is simply something has gone wrong somewhere, and it is either:
1.) something was not allocated for in the management planning.

2.) investors, media outlets and forums have been mislead by “insiders”, grifters, and so called “media journalists”. And Nintendo was not planning on Switch 2 reveal in March. Nor would they have access to BC, or Spec info. Something is amiss somewhere. This would be the fault of the masses for listening.

No doubt a reckoning is coming. Someone or likely many will have to answer some tough questions going forward.

Raonak

Banned
I'm curious what moving to switch 2 means for development times for first party games, since they're gonna be almost current gen in quality.

Assuming switch 2 is as powerful as it is.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It doesn't take much to make a company's stock dip. I'd say unless it's a consistent downward trend over time then most dips are barely newsworthy.

Kerotan

It would actually be negative for Nintendo if they pushed share price growth every year at all costs. You just rush into bad decisions like most greedy publisher's these days. Slow and steady wins the race.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm curious what moving to switch 2 means for development times for first party games, since they're gonna be almost current gen in quality.

Assuming switch 2 is as powerful as it is.
I dunno, Nintendo has conditioned their audience to not care about graphics/production values so much. If Switch 2 games looked basically like Switch games just with higher resolution + framerate, high res textures, and better draw distance, I bet most people would be completely fine with it.

Holammer

Feels like they're deliberately waiting for the Switch to pass PS2's lifetime sales before announcing the next one.
Or getting rid of existing inventory before they release the next gen system. Because unsold machines, games & peripherals get sent to the farm upstate.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What have they been doing this whole time?
Um, selling over 1 billion copies of games (as of May 2023, almost a year ago) with the lion's share on first party stuff? Why would it matter to shareholders how it was done, whether this or that team made 1, the other 2 and yet another only remasters of WiiU games or vice versa or whatever else, as if they ever play them? They are fickle children oblivious to the business and just care for money and it's good Nintendo CEOs like the late Iwata often shot down their dumb suggestions and demands and requests gleamed in the shareholder meetings to keep the integrity and structure of the company and continue making banger after banger regardless of what they think or what the competition is doing, of course they'd have to change attitude eventually if they were proven wrong/questioned/pressured after constant failures but the results speak for themselves and shut them up.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Grain of salt. Nintendo needs to be very careful with the next console, and with the Switch still selling well, pushing back and successor was a smart idea.

You’re also right, that this can allow them to potentially have a very strong release window for the next console (and make sure there are no supply chain issues).

Top Bottom