• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch successor to be released in March 2025 — Nikkei

//DEVIL//

The only reason nintedo is delaying the release just so they can sell more switch till it beats the PS2 lol.

They want the highest selling system in history title.

Can Switch 2 run GTA6 by then? It’ll be huge if it does.

Switch 2 will be able to run it fairly well. But unlikely Rockstar will want to show a downgraded version. They'll be bought into the whole exclusively-next-gen-game thing.

We're arguably definitely at the point of diminishing returns in overall graphics perception now. I can't really tell between last gen and current gen at glance anymore.

tkscz

Good. It gives Nintendo longer to prepare a strong launch lineup.

I'm going with Metroid Prime 4, Mario mainline and Mario Kart 9 as first party launch games.

I highly doubt it. It'll be able to run GTA5, but GTA 6 might be a step too far.
GTA5 was originally an PS360 game, the original Switch can run GTA5. Also none of us know the hardware of the Switch 2, so how would we know what it can and cannot run?

That said, glad they are pushing it back for the reasons given. Allowing more development time and production of the device is always good.

So slightly larger screen and a resolution bump?…that’s it?

So it’s a Switch Pro then? 🤦‍♂️

Nikkei isn't known for predicting hardware, just when the system may release. This is just them making a basic comment on it.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
GTA5 was originally an PS360 game, the original Switch can run GTA5. Also none of us know the hardware of the Switch 2, so how would we know what it can and cannot run?

That said, glad they are pushing it back for the reasons given. Allowing more development time and production of the device is always good.

Nikkei isn't known for predicting hardware, just when the system may release. This is just them making a basic comment on it.
Sure hope so, because that would be disappointing.

Sojiro

Good. It gives Nintendo longer to prepare a strong launch lineup.

I'm going with Metroid Prime 4, Mario mainline and Mario Kart 9 as first party launch games.
I could see a cross gen Metroid Prime 4 (although to be honest I hope it's not cross gen) and Mario Kart being there at launch to really push the system. Having Mario Kart there day one would be a big push for the system and you know that game will continue to sell throughout the entire life of the new device.

The only reason nintedo is delaying the release just so they can sell more switch till it beats the PS2 lol.

They want the highest selling system in history title.
I doubt Nintendo is holding off the Switch 2 just for that, although I am sure they would be happy with that achievement lol. Time to slash the price of the current switch and make it happen Nintendo!

Like I said in the other thread, if the reason is to get software ready to go, and for there to be enough stock that people aren't reliant on scalpers for months to get one I am more than ok with this. I have a good number of backlog switch titles to work through this year, I am in no hurry lol.

//DEVIL//

I could see a cross gen Metroid Prime 4 (although to be honest I hope it's not cross gen) and Mario Kart being there at launch to really push the system. Having Mario Kart there day one would be a big push for the system and you know that game will continue to sell throughout the entire life of the new device.

I doubt Nintendo is holding off the Switch 2 just for that, although I am sure they would be happy with that achievement lol. Time to slash the price of the current switch and make it happen Nintendo!

Like I said in the other thread, if the reason is to get software ready to go, and for there to be enough stock that people aren't reliant on scalpers for months to get one I am more than ok with this. I have a good number of backlog switch titles to work through this year, I am in no hurry lol.
I am pretty sure they will go down 50$ by either summer or fall as a limited price cut to clear inventory.

Or slap a limited edition system on them and they will be cleared.

Pretty hilarious how the Nintendo console everyone thought would flop is going to end up being the highest selling video game console in history.

Bwahahahaha!!!! I participated in that thread!!!!

Here was my prediction from 2017:

Spirit Icana said:
"I voted "Wii style hit." :p

I think it'll start slow but pick up like the DS did.

I still need to see the next 2D Mario. I have confidence Pokemon will continue to do work, and it's a good thing Nintendo is continuing with their unique proposals with 1-2 Switch (hard to see this selling though) and Arms.

I think mobility is the future of console gaming."

"Never thought the over sized Wii U controller with a short battery life was any good. Thing was anti-Wii in so many ways.

Switch will have Wii-motes and traditional controls all packed-in on day 1. The handheld and stand are much better teetered to Japan's needs for mobility and playing on the go. Don't think the size will be a problem either. This is a region where Vita hasn't bombed spectaculary, and two pockets will probably hold the unit and the seperated joy-cons just fine.

I expect to hear lot's of stories of lost joy-cons. And the price for those are steep. Parents are gonna have a field day with these things.

Edit: Oh, and I think Switch needs a Wii Sports game. By that, I mean, Switch sports. Tennis, golfing, something mainstream. Maybe they can prove HD rumbles worth with something like that as well. Don't think 1-2 Switch is really gonna grab much attention or appeal due to the activities on their, like milking, not being very mainstream."

And here is what these mofos said to me:

Horsemama1956 said:
"Don't quit your day job lol."

Spirit Icana said:
"Tell me that in a couple years after I'm proven right. :p"

TetraGenesis said:
"It won't take a whole two years for you to realize how tremendously wrong you are."

Source is page 73 and 78.

Where are these people now? Switch is now bigger than a "Wii style hit", and mobility+console gaming isn't looking like a far reach today. Also, Switch Sports happened (I didn't predict it, but I said it should happen).

Btw, I'm quite happy with my morning job. :)

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'm not going to research it, but I've been saying March 2025 for ages. I hope a price cut for Switch happens soon, because that's all that's left for one more last hoorah for the Switch. Plus, Nintendo's got to be planning something to be so bullish on their sales forecasts.

IAmRei

Bwahahahaha!!!! I participated in that thread!!!!

Here was my prediction from 2017:

Spirit Icana said:
"I voted "Wii style hit." :p

I think it'll start slow but pick up like the DS did.

I still need to see the next 2D Mario. I have confidence Pokemon will continue to do work, and it's a good thing Nintendo is continuing with their unique proposals with 1-2 Switch (hard to see this selling though) and Arms.

I think mobility is the future of console gaming."

"Never thought the over sized Wii U controller with a short battery life was any good. Thing was anti-Wii in so many ways.

Switch will have Wii-motes and traditional controls all packed-in on day 1. The handheld and stand are much better teetered to Japan's needs for mobility and playing on the go. Don't think the size will be a problem either. This is a region where Vita hasn't bombed spectaculary, and two pockets will probably hold the unit and the seperated joy-cons just fine.

I expect to hear lot's of stories of lost joy-cons. And the price for those are steep. Parents are gonna have a field day with these things.

Edit: Oh, and I think Switch needs a Wii Sports game. By that, I mean, Switch sports. Tennis, golfing, something mainstream. Maybe they can prove HD rumbles worth with something like that as well. Don't think 1-2 Switch is really gonna grab much attention or appeal due to the activities on their, like milking, not being very mainstream."

And here is what these mofos said to me:

Horsemama1956 said:
"Don't quit your day job lol."

Spirit Icana said:
"Tell me that in a couple years after I'm proven right. :p"

TetraGenesis said:
"It won't take a whole two years for you to realize how tremendously wrong you are."

Source is page 73 and 78.

Where are these people now? Switch is now bigger than a "Wii style hit", and mobility+console gaming isn't looking like a far reach today. Also, Switch Sports happened (I didn't predict it, but I said it should happen).

Btw, I'm quite happy with my morning job. :)

That thread always cheers my day, i stumbled upon it in 2019/2020 (i forgot when) still makes me chuckle each time i re read it

Astral Dog

I don't believe the Switch can 'run' GTA V, at least properly. The game has evolved lots from its early PS3/360 days, and i mean all the GTA online stuff, but also visually. The only option Rockstar would have is to cut the visuals and online stuff, wich would turn off alot of players.

And GTA VI remains to be seen but i wouldn't bet on it running on a potential Switch 2 , the series is known to push hardware to its limits , it will be massive.

nani17

are in a big trouble
GTA 6 is launching on Switch and Mario is a playable character

SFiGr.gif

Astral Dog

Switch 2 (rumored) hardware specs will already be outdated in 2025. Now imagine using that in say 2030 or later. Oof.
The same way Wii/DS/3DS/WiiU/Switch were 'outdated' at the time,it matters less each passing generation,it all depends if they can make the product appealing with strong software ,innovative concepts and marketing.

Nintendo were never going to release a portable PS5 anyways, but the visuals should still look pretty nice

nbkicker

people thinking nintedo is gonna fire out a lot of its i.p.s come march 2025 are in for a shock, when the switch came out rumours where zelda and Mario where both ready for release but Nintendo decided to push Zelda and Mario later, same goes next yr, every report says to give dev more time, meaning external dev not nintendos own. Nintendo likes to slowly release there games through the yr, so at most you can expect 3-4 titles in the whole of 2025 from Nintendo not in march. But for me was really hoping for the switch 2 this yr, cause u already no hardware inside it gonna be out of date, never Mind in another yr, so for me looking like another boring year for gaming. Good job my retro collection is getting bigger

StereoVsn

The same way Wii/DS/3DS/WiiU/Switch were 'outdated' at the time,it matters less each passing generation,it all depends if they can make the product appealing with strong software ,innovative concepts and marketing.

Nintendo were never going to release a portable PS5 anyways, but the visuals should still look pretty nice
The issue is that potentially they will not receive some of the PS5/XS ports and of course PS6/Xbox Next (if exists).

Plus you have rising number of proper handheld competitors.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
People really need to understand that switch is using old ram, old storage, old chip with old power consumption. And when I say old, it's old old. I'm glad Nintendo waited all these years because people will be surprise what a new handheld from Nintendo/Nvidia will be able to do with new hardware and active cooling.
I agree. Not sure why you quoted me though. I have no idea what the Switch 2 power will be. I assume it will have a much better WiFi connection, which is why I think streaming will be a much more viable option than it was on the Switch. I hope the Switch 2 dick has an Ethernet port this time.

Close to Ps5 performance for less money, in a portable form factor and with a company that generally doesn't sell hardware at a loss?
No way.
Nintendo users are still saying that, just look at this thread.

And it will be able to run GTAVI and do DLSS at 4K and 60fps.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think they could get GTA6 running if they tried, only thing that would give me pause would be the file size. That shit would probably come on a 16GB card with a 80GB "patch" 😬
Now this has me wondering - I'm assuming Nintendo uses cartridges again and ones that fit the same slot as the original Switch...
Any idea how much more capacity the cartridges could have than before? and would that cause them to raise prices from $60 to $70?

Last edited:

JimboJones

Now this has me wondering - I'm assuming Nintendo uses cartridges again and ones that fit the same slot as the original Switch...
Any idea how much more capacity the cartridges could have than before? and would that cause them to raise prices from $60 to $70?
Current largest card available for Switch is 64GB which was introduced in 2020 apparently but I don't know of any game that uses it. A lot of publishers seem to be opting for lower capacity cards and letting the user down the rest via patches due to the costs involved with higher capacity cards.
So even if a 128GB card existed publishers might not want to use them early in the Switch2s life.

I guess it's either pass the cost on directly by hiking the cost of the games up or indirectly via assuming most users will buy hi capacity SD cards for downloading the rest of the files.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm on the first page of that thread, it keeps getting brought back from time to time lol

Page 2. Worst prediction ever, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

NanaMiku

Okay, so this is rather awkward :messenger_grinning_sweat:. It looks like this Nikkei report has been hit with a good ol' community note on X/Twitter lol.

image.png
For anyone who wonder what the context said.
First paragraph: As of February 2024, there has been no official announcement from Nintendo Co., Ltd., and the information is uncertain.“We are constantly researching and developing new hardware and software, but there is nothing more we can tell you.”
Second paragraph: Additionally, the Nikkei Shimbun has published false rumors about Nintendo multiple times in the past, and Nintendo has even directly pointed out false rumors. News release: June 5, 2012

Astral Dog

The issue is that potentially they will not receive some of the PS5/XS ports and of course PS6/Xbox Next (if exists).

Plus you have rising number of proper handheld competitors.
Nothing Nintendo can do about that, they knew going with the Switch it wouldn't get all third party games from more powerful consoles,it was a risk launching an hybrid tablet, they still had Nvidia update their hardware and tools so that third parties could launch some of their games without much trouble figuring out the system, for the most part it worked .

I assume the Switch 2 will be similar, most companies would still want to release games for the system as long as its successful

handheld competition is a concern, but again Nintendo has been in the game for many years, in competition with PlayStation and Smartphones, they know when they release a successful idea, it will be copied eventually thats why they keep updating and innovating their products.

Switch 2 like any transition before, is going to be a risk, but thats why Nintendo wants to prepare for launch as best as they can(be in 2025 or this year)

Woopah

Do most Nintendo users believe it will launch between $349-399 and have the power closer to the PS5 and be able to run almost everything? Or it’s still a pipe dream?
Price looks right and it'll be able to run most multiplatform games with enough work.

Won't be close to PS5 in power though.
Nintendo users are still saying that, just look at this thread.

And it will be able to run GTAVI and do DLSS at 4K and 60fps.
Please show me the Nintendo users in this thread saying it will be close to PS5

Would it be impossible for Nintendo to have commissioned any more recent parts if they delayed the system launch? Or were they basically locked?

Top Bottom