• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

You should spoiler this bit, but yes, I was fucking fuming

If you have to outright lie to your fanbase to surprise them with the identity of a character, then it's not a "twist" worth doing.

Done.

And I absolutely agree.
I'm angry, disappointed and annoyed...he could have been so much more. It was a prime opportunity to introduce up a new recurring villain, someone who could show up in any potential Batman Beyond game or the rumoured Suicide Squad game, but they took the cheap way with who was behind the mask and the villain is pretty much 'dead' before the end anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
Isn't the phrase
"Death in the Family"
said within moments of the Arkham Knight's introduction? Between that, the way that he talks, and USGamer's hints it was obvious from the beginning.

Sectus

Someone have already posted something similar, but I quickly went through game files to find some hints about future or scrapped content.

There's a large list of costumes for instance:
Batgirl_Bruce_Timm
Batgirl_Classic_TV_Series
Batgirl_New_52
Batman_1st_Appearance
Batman_Alex_Ross
Batman_Animated
Batman_Beyond
Batman_Blackest_Night
Batman_Classic_TV_Series
Batman_Earth2
Batman_Flashpoint_Paradox
Batman_Gotham_Knight
Batman_inc
Batman_Jim_Lee
Batman_New_52_Graphic
Batman_Seventies
Batman_The_Dark_Knight_Origins
Batman_The_Dark_Knight_Returns
Batman_Zur_En_Arrh
Catwoman_1990
Catwoman_Classic_TV_Series
Nightwing_Classic
Nightwing_New52
Robin_Classic_Tim_Drake
Robin_Classic_TV_Series
Robin_Damian_Wayne
Robin_One_Year_Later

There's also mentions of AR challenges which aren't in the game:
Description_7=Play as the lethal vigilante Red Hood and learn to master his unforgiving brand of justice.
Description_9=Play as Nightwing and master the fighting methods that made this former Robin great.
Description_10=Play as Batman’s most trusted sidekick, Robin, and master his unique fighting style.

Those might just be scrapped ideas. I assume the Red Hood DLC was originally gonna be challenges the same way as Harley Quinn DLC (there's still references to Harley DLC being challenge maps among some text files).

There's also a specific mention of one rather spoilery challenge mission which isn't in the game:
301_Characters=Joker
301_Description=Cause as much mayhem as possible within 5 minutes, and send the bill to Wayne Enterprises.
301_Goal_1=Cause $250,000 worth of damage
301_Goal_2=Cause $500,000 worth of damage
301_Goal_3=Cause $1,000,000 worth of damage
301_Title=MILLION DOLLAR MAYHEM
301_TitleMC=Million Dollar Mayhem

I definitely hope they add a large amount of combat and predator challenges to the game via DLC. It's the most disappointing aspect of the game for me, especially when compared to previous Arkham games.

Gator86

Done.

And I absolutely agree.
I'm angry, disappointed and annoyed...he could have been so much more. It was a prime opportunity to introduce up a new recurring villain, someone who could show up in any potential Batman Beyond game or the rumoured Suicide Squad game, but they took the cheap way with who was behind the mask and the villain is pretty much 'dead' before the end anyway.

Yup. Knight was an absolutely pointless character.
He's mostly absent from the game aside from radio babble and a couple terrible boss fights at the end anyway. I have no clue why he's even mentioned in the title at all. Before release, I thought he was a new character and the main villain, a Bane-type equal to Batman. They blew it in basically the most pathetic way possible.

Isn't the phrase
"Death in the Family"
said within moments of the Arkham Knight's introduction? Between that, the way that he talks, and USGamer's hints it was obvious from the beginning.

Is it? Maybe I missed it. The real problem I have is...
that they kept trying to play it off as an all new character. I had high hopes that were about to witness the birth of an all new recurring villain who might cross over into other Batman media, but then they reveal who is it and essentially 'kill' the AK off before the end anyway.

It's partly my own fault for getting my hopes up...should have known better.

He's mostly absent from the game aside from radio babble and a couple terrible boss fights at the end anyway. I have no clue why he's even mentioned in the title at all. Before release, I thought he was a new character and the main villain, a Bane-type equal to Batman. They blew it in basically the most pathetic way possible.

This was my hope too. I mean,
we see Joker more than we do AK and Joker's dead...that also annoyed me a lot. I wanted a Batman game that was free from the Joker influence and instead we get a game that seemed to have just as much, if not more, Joker than Asylum and City.

To get back on point, I'm really annoyed that AK didn't turn out to be anything...he should and could have been so much more. Really soured the game for and the story/gameplay weren't exactly great up to that point either.

robotrock

Banned

I am positive he's mentioned in the title so Rocksteady could keep up with this Arkham naming thing.

Not sure when it is available strictly speaking, but I picked it up in the
TV station
during one of the story missions. It was just to the left of some prison cells.

I'm assuming it came out so fast because the game got delayed several times. Probably would have hit 3 months after launch or something if the game came out sooner.

It's in
Panessa Studios on a table near the prison cells (as soon as you get out of the lift).

For some weird reason it's the only gadget not tied to natural story progression. You're just expected to notice it's there.
thanks, will look into that later, I am now in ng+

"Don't worry, Lucious made a spare".

At this very moment I thought I might break the television.

That pissed me off so much.

I was so happy when the Batmobile was destroyed. Finally, I thought. Finally, we'll get to play the game without this annoying tank and all the mediocrity its presence introduced to almost all aspects of the gameplay and then those fated words....

At least it was skinned differently.

So I'm reading that the Harley DLC is only ten minutes long? Is the same true for the Red Hood DLC too?

Pretty disappointed if it's true for both. I was hoping the RH DLC would fill in some gaps on what happens after
the encounter with Bats and him losing his AK mask.

Like seeing him going through an internal struggle like Bats and coming out the other end as the Red Hood.

Sectus

So I'm reading that the Harley DLC is only ten minutes long? Is the same true for the Red Hood DLC too?

Pretty disappointed if it's true for both. I was hoping the RH DLC would fill in some gaps on what happens after
the encounter with Bats and him losing his AK mask.

Like seeing him going through an internal struggle like Bats and coming out the other end as the Red Hood.
I think I spent about 20 minutes playing Harley DLC. I think that's the higher tier of time spent as I spent some time idling around listening to extra dialogue. So yeah, it's definitely short. It's also obvious it was originally challenge maps as it's just a couple of combat and predator rooms loosely connected.

As much as people complain about the batmobile being prominent I didn't have an issue with the split of on foot and in car. I didn't feel cheated at all with the amount of time spent gliding around the city and taking out the thugs while running around. They're was definitely more on foot stuff then batmobile in the game.

I think I spent about 20 minutes playing Harley DLC. I think that's the higher tier of time spent as I spent some time idling around listening to extra dialogue. So yeah, it's definitely short. It's also obvious it was originally challenge maps as it's just a couple of combat and predator rooms loosely connected.

Ah, that's a real shame. Guess I'll play through it at some point, but there's no real rush. Think I'll try to clear up the remaining riddler trophies first.

Speaking of which, was anyone else disappointed with the riddles in this game? They so were so few and far between and nearly of of them were too simplistic. I miss the ones from Asylum. They weren't particularly challenging there either, but there were so many and it wasn't always immediately obvious what the riddle was referring to like it is here.

Ah, that's a real shame. Guess I'll play through it at some point, but there's no real rush. Think I'll try to clear up the remaining riddler trophies first.

Speaking of which, was anyone else disappointed with the riddles in this game? They so were so few and far between and nearly of of them were too simplistic. I miss the ones from Asylum. They weren't particularly challenging there either, but there were so many and it wasn't always immediately obvious what the riddle was referring to like it is here.

Asylum is unmatched in the Riddles department, they were so good. This one comes in second for me though, better then City's effort and definitely better then Origins

Asylum is unmatched in the Riddles department, they were so good. This one comes in second for me though, better then City's effort and definitely better then Origins

Oh yeah, they are definitely better than City and Origins. They felt like an afterthought in City, but I am disappointed they weren't at least able to match Asylum in terms of number and challenge.

I guess with the game worlds increasing with each sequel, it makes sense that they'd have to reduce the number of riddles in favour of collectibles, but I feel that didn't really need to come at the expense of how challenging they were. Should have been the exact opposite with them becoming even more challenging as their numbers declined.

For anyone wondering about the Red Hood DLC, yes it is about 20 mins long, same as Harley's. Also like hers, it's four maps: two combat and two predator and you can just blow through it. Story's nothing, he takes on Black Mask (and fights him in the final combat part), that's it. He gets to use his dual guns and usually makes a cool quip after taking down a fool with stealth, but there's nothing else much to speak of.

Harley's is marginally better because at least she has her Mayhem mechanic and her vision mode is kinda cool.

Oh yeah, they are definitely better than City and Origins. They felt like an afterthought in City, but I am disappointed they weren't at least able to match Asylum in terms of number and challenge.

I guess with the game worlds increasing with each sequel, it makes sense that they'd have to reduce the number of riddles in favour of collectibles, but I feel that didn't really need to come at the expense of how challenging they were. Should have been the exact opposite with them becoming even more challenging as their numbers declined.

Agree with you on that, the challenge should have been upped considering the lower riddle count. One thing that I hope these games go back to a bit more is the indoor environments. I feel like Rocksteady crafts indoor areas way better then they do sandbox type gameplay. I guess that's why Asylum is still at the top of my list in regards to the series.

For anyone wondering about the Red Hood DLC, yes it is about 20 mins long, same as Harley's. Also like hers, it's four maps: two combat and two predator and you can just blow through it. Story's nothing, he takes on Black Mask (and fights him in the final combat part), that's it. He gets to use his dual guns and usually makes a cool quip after taking down a fool with stealth, but there's nothing else much to speak of.

Harley's is marginally better because at least she has her Mayhem mechanic and her vision mode is kinda cool.

The one thing I liked about the Red Hood DLC was the brutal way in which he fights, that's why I'm hoping they release some challenge maps with the ability to play as any character. That's the biggest misstep of the game for me.

Simo

Someone have already posted something similar, but I quickly went through game files to find some hints about future or scrapped content.

There's a large list of costumes for instance:

There's also mentions of AR challenges which aren't in the game:

Those might just be scrapped ideas. I assume the Red Hood DLC was originally gonna be challenges the same way as Harley Quinn DLC (there's still references to Harley DLC being challenge maps among some text files).

There's also a specific mention of one rather spoilery challenge mission which isn't in the game:

I definitely hope they add a large amount of combat and predator challenges to the game via DLC. It's the most disappointing aspect of the game for me, especially when compared to previous Arkham games.

Jim Lee design? Man, they already have his New 52 skin in there. Really hoping for a Batfleck suit but I doubt it'll happen.

That just sound depressingly boring. Are they not story driven at all?

Agree with you on that, the challenge should have been upped considering the lower riddle count. One thing that I hope these games go back to a bit more is the indoor environments. I feel like Rocksteady crafts indoor areas way better then they do sandbox type gameplay. I guess that's why Asylum is still at the top of my list in regards to the series.

Absolutely agree. The intricate layout of the indoor environments and how it was all interconnected so perfectly is why I still rank Asylum at the top of the Batman games. I'd love to see them create smaller, but more intricate and well crafted worlds going forward. That's really where their design skills shine through.

ctfg23

I know I'm going to feel really stupid when this is answered, but how do I defeat the (enemy type)
electrified riddler robots
?

That pissed me off so much.

I was so happy when the Batmobile was destroyed. Finally, I thought. Finally, we'll get to play the game without this annoying tank and all the mediocrity its presence introduced to almost all aspects of the gameplay and then those fated words....

At least it was skinned differently.

You seriously believed they would permanently take away your ability to complete any of the Batmobile side missions? lol

I know I'm going to feel really stupid when this is answered, but how do I defeat the (enemy type)
electrified riddler robots
?

Switch to Catwoman. Or, if you're talking about the ones in the city,
hit the switch to make them change colors.

That just sound depressingly boring. Are they not story driven at all?

They are, but in the lightest possible sense of the word. I'm not even using spoilers because there's next to nothing there. Harley goes to Bludhaven to rescue Ivy for Scarecrow's master plan, is in contact over the radio with Penguin. She fights and beats Nightwing at the end. Red Hood goes after Black Mask, beats him. They're completely brief and standalone and not much different to just giving you challenge rooms.

My main beef is you don't unlock the individual maps in AR rooms once you beat these. You can only play the whole thing again. :/

You seriously believed they would permanently take away your ability to complete any of the Batmobile side missions? lol

In hindsight, it does seem pretty stupid,
but I did really think it was gone and wouldn't surface again until after you finished the game. Like a quick call from Lucious saying the new one's ready.

They are, but in the lightest possible sense of the word. I'm not even using spoilers because there's next to nothing there. Harley goes to Bludhaven to rescue Ivy for Scarecrow's master plan, is in contact over the radio with Penguin. She fights and beats Nightwing at the end. Red Hood goes after Black Mask, beats him. They're completely brief and standalone and not much different to just giving you challenge rooms.

My main beef is you don't unlock the individual maps in AR rooms once you beat these. You can only play the whole thing again. :/

That's really disappointing. I'm almost tempted not to even bother with them. Such a shame. I had semi high hopes for the Red Hood DLC.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I finished this yesterday. Thought I was getting tired of the formula, but they held me for another round. I enjoyed the game. Batmobile was pretty neat.

FUCK THE BAT TANK.

Omg... So many times I almost dropped the game for good during this tired-ass bland as fuck boring shit.

This game's biggest sin is the fact that this crap takes up such a large % of the game, and even worse, it dominates the AR challenges.

Whatever.

Now I wait to play as Batgirl. Thankfully no bat tank for her.

I got that too, but it's extremely late in the game. Considering it's really useful in combat, many riddler trophies require it, and one of the riddler missions require it, I wish you were lead there earlier, or at least given hints about it.

It was subtle but I believe one of the GCPD officers hints toward it.

Regginator

The AK reveal was pretty much called the second the character was revealed, so much for this being a brand new character in the universe. What bullshit.

I literally said it the second Rocksteady said it's a "new character". I was like, "okay the Arkham Knight in concept is new, but definitely not the guy behind the mask". Very underwhelming reveal. You don't even have to know a lot about Batman and you could see this from miles away.

Setsuna

So I finished this yesterday. Thought I was getting tired of the formula, but they held me for another round. I enjoyed the game. Batmobile was pretty neat.

FUCK THE BAT TANK.

Omg... So many times I almost dropped the game for good during this tired-ass bland as fuck boring shit.

This game's biggest sin is the fact that this crap takes up such a large % of the game, and even worse, it dominates the AR challenges.

Whatever.

They could always do her part in the The Dark Knight Returns

FUCK THE BAT TANK.

Whatever.

Amazes me how they managed to develop such an incredible game, with all the legacy features that you expect from a Batman Arkham game, with a gameplay mechanic that is so wonky.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, a Batwoman game set in the Rocksteady universe would be boss. It would also allow whoever made it to create the entire universe from the ground up, more or less. Her dad could serve as the Alfred/Gordon hub character and her gameplay could be more based on stealth than even Batman. Maybe combat could be way more gadget based.

Anung

Un Rama
Less than 100 Riddler trophies to collect. For some reason the markers aren't showing up for me on Staggs ship D:

FUCK THE BAT TANK.

Whatever.

Bruh, the tank does not take up that much of the main game. Since you've already beaten the game, this doesn't help you, but to anyone in a similar camp: upgrade the weapons and avoid it when possible if it's that big a deal.

It's mechanically sound, meaning you can get through even the longest battles in the main game in 2-and-a-half minutes. That massive fight near the end ended quick with
the extra EMP help.
I think I died during one tank sequence in the game because I didn't upgrade Batmobile health at all.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it, but just realize it's not as omnipresent as you think, and don't even consider the AR challenges are being required if you hate them that much. Those, and the bomb diffusing challenges are where the tank fights get to be too long. Everywhere else, it's a brief distraction at best.

Less than 100 Riddler trophies to collect. For some reason the markers aren't showing up for me on Staggs ship D:

Might you have gotten them all?

Amazes me how they managed to develop such an incredible game, with all the legacy features that you expect from a Batman Arkham game, with a gameplay mechanic that is so wonky.

The mechanic is fine, it just isn't particularly exciting. To be honest I didn't mind it, it overstayed it's welcome near the end, but it wasn't that annoying. They were incredibly easy to beat even on hard, only died once or twice during those moments.

Blader

I don't even know what to say about the ending and the rather bizarre decision to lock the 'real' ending behind an arbitrary wall of forcing you to complete what have to be some of the most repetitive and dull side activities imaginable.

It's not even worth seeing. To me, that's the real disappointment with the ending -- not that you have to do 100% to get it (though that's plenty annoying on its own), but that it's not an ending at all, wraps up no loose ends, and
pointlessly teases something for the future? This is supposed to be the end of the trilogy! You don't end your trilogy on a cliffhanger!

Especially because he describes it as "one of a kind" earlier in the game.

Well,
it's the only black Batmobile!

Alienous

The mechanic is fine, it just isn't particularly exciting. To be honest I didn't mind it, it overstayed it's welcome near the end, but it wasn't that annoying. They were incredibly easy to beat even on hard, only died once or twice during those moments.

Its issue isn't being broken. But coming off of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, games where I struggle to think of any low-point or game mechanic that wasn't implemented exactly how it should have been for the length of time it should have been, the Bat-Tank sticks out.

90% of what it is you've experienced by your third tank battle. From that point on it is pretty much more lines. "We'll throw more lines at the player, and that'll pretty much be the difficulty ramp". I can't think of a single time I knew a tank battle was upcoming and was excited for it. But with the predator sequences, dual-play, the detective stuff (outside of the side missions), most of the freeflow segments and most of the Batmobile chases I can say that I was looking forward to that experience. The Bat-Tank is just tedium itself. "Oh, another one of these sections, ugh".

You definitely do more of it in the main campaign that you do predator missions, chases or dual-play. It's a large part of the main campaign, and it becomes a more significant part as the game gets closer to the end. And the boss battles, dammit.

If they didn't have the Bat-Tank as a crutch I struggle to see how Arkham Knight wouldn't have been better designed. The best thing you can say about a game mechanic shouldn't be "Well, it isn't entirely terrible".

Its issue isn't being broken. But coming off of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, games where I struggle to think of any low-point or game mechanic that wasn't implemented exactly how it should have been for the length of time it should have been, the Bat-Tank sticks out.

90% of what it is you've experienced by your third tank battle. From that point on it is pretty much more lines. "We'll throw more lines at the player, and that'll pretty much be the difficulty ramp". I can't think of a single time I knew a tank battle was upcoming and was excited for it. But with the predator sequences, dual-play, the detective stuff (outside of the side missions), most of the freeflow segments and most of the Batmobile chases I can say that I was looking forward to that experience. The Bat-Tank is just tedium itself. "Oh, another one of these sections, ugh".

You definitely do more of it in the main campaign that you do predator missions, chases or dual-play. It's a large part of the main campaign, and it becomes a more significant part as the game gets closer to the end. And the boss battles, dammit.

If they didn't have the Bat-Tank as a crutch I struggle to see how Arkham Knight wouldn't have been better designed. The best thing you can say about a game mechanic shouldn't be "Well, it isn't entirely terrible".

It's honestly as fleshed out as combat was in Asylum which was incredibly basic there — it only upped the enemy count by the end and introduced the knife and Titan enemies early on. For people who didn't like that combat or thought it didn't change things up enough, it killed the game experience (since outside of predator sequences, that's all it had to offer). It was something new when that game came out though, so complaints about it are rarely heard as the the only people who still discuss it are die-hard fans.

The more open tank gameplay moments are honestly more interesting to me than Asylum's combat considering how limited it was. If all the tank moments allowed for 1) catching them by surprise, 2) flanking drones and boosting into them out of nowhere, 3) mixing up some drone types more often and 4) using the disruptor to rig some to explode before engaging them, then it would always be enjoyable for me rather than occasionally too much of a drag. That said, the only tank battles that went on for too long were the later bomb diffusing ones, which I just abandoned until I felt up to the task.

I would bet you don't do more tank drone battling than predator sequences in this game, though that may be because I went out of my way to take out militia outposts and the bank robbery side missions. After hearing about the extreme focus on the tank throughout the game, I finished it thinking "that's what people were complaining about?" It's actually kind of fun and there's no way it's objectively bad in a mechanical sense, it's just a matter of taste. Therefore, saying it's "not entirely terrible" is to ignore that it CAN be engaging if it's your thing.

The only issue I had with the tank combat personally is what you outlined with the boss battles, that's it. I was never pained to do one and I finished the game 100 percent, doing the disarming bomb missions as well. I was just kind of going through the motions near the end when it came to it and of course I would have gladly done away with it in favor of more predator sequences and combat situations, but I didn't feel that it was too much at any point in my playthrough.

That may be because I did all the side content before I finished the main game, when I go through the story once more I can probably better gauge how much of the story it took up, but as of mow, doesn't seem like much to me. After all the complaints I expected something terrible in comparison to what I got.

Dominator

This suit is beyond ugly.

400AA366-4A86-4175-BD11-C553E3083B35_zpscmmzqy9z.jpg

I used it for 5 minutes lol

Man I was a supporter of the Batmobile but with me nearing 90% complete with the story I am really starting to change my mind with some of the things they are wanting me to do near the end with it. I loved this game but man a this point I just want to finish it.

I just did the
Large tank battle outside of GCPD...damn that was really annoying me for some reason
gonna take a break and then finish it today.

Don't get me wrong I am still very glad I bought it and played it but for some reason ever since the extremely foreshadowed
Arkham Knight reveal, seriously...as soon as we started seeing the torture scenes with Joker and Robin it was pretty much a no brainier
I am ready to move on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not trying to convince you to like it, but just realize it's not as omnipresent as you think, and don't even consider the AR challenges are being required if you hate them that much. Those, and the bomb diffusing challenges are where the tank fights get to be too long. Everywhere else, it's a brief distraction at best.

Ummm no. The parts approaching the end, driving through the tunnels, and fighting bosses are hardly a brief distraction. They're a pretty significant, poorly designed, unfun sections at the end.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only issue I had with the tank combat personally is what you outlined with the boss battles, that's it. I was never pained to do one and I finished the game 100 percent, doing the disarming bomb missions as well. I was just kind of going through the motions near the end when it came to it and of course I would have gladly done away with it in favor of more predator sequences and combat situations, but I didn't feel that it was too much at any point in my playthrough.

That may be because I did all the side content before I finished the main game, when I go through the story once more I can probably better gauge how much of the story it took up, but as of mow, doesn't seem like much to me. After all the complaints I expected something terrible in comparison to what I got.

Its not always the quantity, its the quality. Those sections really dragged the end of the game down.

breakfuss

Man I was a supporter of the Batmobile but with me nearing 90% complete with the story I am really starting to change my mind with some of the things they are wanting me to do near the end with it. I loved this game but man a this point I just want to finish it.

I just did the
Large tank battle outside of GCPD...damn that was really annoying me for some reason
gonna take a break and then finish it today.

Don't get me wrong I am still very glad I bought it and played it but for some reason ever since the extremely foreshadowed
Arkham Knight reveal, seriously...as soon as we started seeing the torture scenes with Joker and Robin it was pretty much a no brainier
I am ready to move on.

There's "foreshadowing"...and then there's whatever hell they were attempting to do here. It's so embarrassingly obvious I thought surely it was being used to throw us off from the REAL culprit! Sigh.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would bet you don't do more tank drone battling than predator sequences in this game, though that may be because I went out of my way to take out militia outposts and the bank robbery side missions. After hearing about the extreme focus on the tank throughout the game, I finished it thinking "that's what people were complaining about?" It's actually kind of fun and there's no way it's objectively bad in a mechanical sense, it's just a matter of taste. Therefore, saying it's "not entirely terrible" is to ignore that it CAN be engaging if it's your thing.

As much as I despised it, there were brief moments when I felt it was fun, but those moments were so rare.

The AR challenges were complete and utter shit. Only 24 of the 69 (78 with Scarecrow DLC) stars came from predator and combat challenges and those were very mediocre. The rest were all batmobile related....worst shit Ive seen in a game.

Top Bottom