• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

master15

Has this been posted yet? Trailer for a Gamers journey: The definitive history of Shenmue

I guess this was the Shenmue documentary that was being done a little while ago which I'm sure had to be re-edited since E3 announcement.

Edit: I see posted above.

Just very quickly wanted to provide links to the original Shenmue commercials if you haven't seen them to date -

Shenmue commercial

Another Shenmue commercial

Shenmue II commercial

Another Shenmue II comercial

The Japanese Shenmue II commercials are especially odd with guns everywhere :/

"Guys, we can fit Hang On in there, but we need to cut some dialogue."
"Can we replace one fifth of Ryo's audio with that one clip of him saying "I see?"
"DO IT!"

I can't even remember a game back then that had all that dialogue and weather effects which is insane. The music is still epic to this day.

epmode

I still can't understand how they fit all that music, all that dialogue, all that detail onto GD-Roms. Those things only had a gigabyte of storage!

That's some masterful programming right there.

Wasn't the music done with the Dreamcast's sound chip/card/whatever? You know, how old consoles used to handle music. That would save a TON of space.

For example, virtually all of Chrono Cross's music was done on the Playstation's sound chip so those 2-3 hours of music came out to 15 megabytes instead of several hundred.

I don't mean to dismiss anything! I love hearing what the sound engineers could do with such limited space. Modern developers don't have to worry about any of that.

(and yeah, the dialogue audio was ridiculously compressed)

There's just absolutely no way they won't open additional funding after the Kickstarter is over. Surely they've seen the success of games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Star Citizen. By opening up another way of funding after their KS' were over, they accumulated even more than the KS itself. They could easily gather $10M+.

They had better! Can you imagine the massive boost it'll get when it's shown at E3 next year?!

Part of me always assumed that even if all the other stars aligned, the SEGA star would never.

I know their role in this is basically "you have our permission, but nothing else", but it's hard to not give a small clap to SEGA for not being dumbasses.

Redtale

Neo Member
I wonder what they'll announce for the final push, hopefully it'll be Shenmue 1 & 2 HD. I know it's in Sega's hands but Yu did say he wants to talk to them about it.

Spaghetti

Yeah the tone is way off in the Japanese commercials. Although I will confess I am going to miss seeing the Sega AM2 logo :(
to be honest, the american ads didn't really hit the mark either.

nobody really knew how to market shenmue, and it showed. it is definitely a game that would have benefited from one of those sleeping dogs/red dead redemption narrated gameplay trailers

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Part of me always assumed that even if all the other stars aligned, the SEGA star would never.

I know their role in this is basically "you have our permission, but nothing else", but it's hard to not give a small clap to SEGA for not being dumbasses.
Japanese developers and publishers really seem to have gotten their stuff together this generation. Glad to see that SEGA was not the exception with Shenmue.

Cubed

This campaign is killing me! Haha

I want this thing to get $11 million right now and I want formal production to start right now so we can have the game by the end of 2016.

All of that is a pipe dream of course, but that is the point.

Spaghetti

okay i should really be asleep, but the KS just made over $6k in an hour from 24 new backers. that's great for when most of the west should be asleep.

flattie

$90,000 today!

Damn, this campaign is doing awesome! I am feeling like $6m+ is definitely possible now!

It will be interesting to see if the campaign can maintain ~80k per day until the final peak - that's what it will need to do to be in with a chance of hitting 6 m. The last three days have been a great effort, but they need to keep the momentum rolling and that has to start again today.

New updated graph, next one in 3/4 days.
9CQsOMh.jpg

openrob

I have committed to not being obsessed with the numbers and only checking it once or twice a day.
Also, will there be a day during the Kickstarter where this thread isn't on the front page - HELL NO! SHENMUE 3!!!!

Erevador

That graph is giving me warm, fuzzy feelings.

I have committed to not being obsessed with the numbers and only checking it once or twice a day.
Also, will there be a day during the Kickstarter where this thread isn't on the front page - HELL NO! SHENMUE 3!!!!
We won't allow that.

At the current rate, unless Shenmue 3 ends up being an exception to the "rule" when it comes to the final days rush, then it's pretty much certain to become the most successful game Kickstarter in history.

Personally I still think there will be a final week rush, possibly within the last 3-4 days. I think this current boost will die down and then we will see another boost at the end.

Erevador

Personally I still think there will be a final week rush, possibly within the last 3-4 days. I think this current boost will die down and then we will see another boost at the end.
I think you're right there.

I have no idea how to estimate what that bump will be like, but I think it will be significant. There has never really been a video game Kickstarter of this scale before. The awareness of this is just off the charts. I think the final rush might really be something to behold.

I want this thing to get $11 million right now and I want formal production to start right now so we can have the game by the end of 2016.

All of that is a pipe dream of course, but that is the point.

Heh, honestly I'd rather not. We've already waited 14 years, I'd rather Suzuki take all the time he needs to do the best job he can. I can wait.

Krejlooc

Banned
At the current rate, unless Shenmue 3 ends up being an exception to the "rule" when it comes to the final days rush, then it's pretty much certain to become the most successful game Kickstarter in history.

Even without the mid-campaign bump it had a great shot of that. This has to feel so incredible for Yu Suzuki. Validation after over a decade.

Trojan X

Banned
That's a heck of a bump.

This proves so much what could have been accomplished if everything was managed properly from Day 1 with great planning and execution. Definitely, Shenmue III had more than enough potential to get over at least 8 million at this point. Let's hope we can catch up for lost time.

More importantly, I hope Sony and other investors are thinking the same thing I am. If so, then they should respond with more investment and marketing support.

This proves so much what could have been accomplished if everything was managed properly from Day 1 with great planning and execution. Definitely, Shenmue III had more than enough potential to get over at least 8 million at this point. Let's hope we can catch up for lost time.

More importantly, I hope Sony and other investors are thinking the same thing I am. If so, then they should respond with more investment and marketing support.

I'll pledge within 8 days after my credit card clears the payment.

Sup GAF, was going to make a thread but this seems like the apropriate place to ask.

I played original Shenmue on dreamcast when it was released but never played the 2nd.

Where is the best place to play the original 2 before 3 is released?

What are the odds of a HD remake of the first 2?

Krejlooc

Banned
Sup GAF, was going to make a thread but this seems like the apropriate place to ask.

I played original Shenmue on dreamcast when it was released but never played the 2nd.

Where is the best place to play the original 2 before 3 is released?

Grab a dreamcast.

What are the odds of a HD remake of the first 2?

They are already complete. All that's left is for Sega to release them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom