• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions S2 ep. 1-6:
414wviCNieL.jpg

I let this one go for months and I ran into it again when I was going to start Wagnaria!, so I wanted to clear it outta my Crunchy queue. So far, it's not as funny or entertaining a S1 since it's not about dealing with Chunibyo and how to live with it or overcome it. Those crazy sections in S1 were fun. At times, there were really dramatic moments as well that are non-existing in S2. There is also nowhere near the embedded drama invilved. However, it's much deeper into the SoL aspect of their new living arrangements and their relationship in general which is entertaining in it's own way with the way it's progressing their relationship. Very cute and touching overall and I'm interested in how they work everything out over the final 6 episodes.

cajunator

Banned
To LOVE-Ru Darkness is finally up on Crunchyroll. Be smart guys..

Yeah. Be very careful now!
Dont wanna lose yall.

I find it funny that every Symphogear starts the same way (Idol concert, bad shit happens) and Tsubasa never thinks to just not have an idol concert

Although I guess I can't blame people for wanting to hear Nana Mizuki's singing voice

well the first season had some pretty legendary QUALITY but s2 and s3 look pretty good

The best scene

That is some pretty remarkable QUALITY. Usually this stuff is overstated but wow...

finally, anime i can relate to.

Yeah, I pretty much do the same. Hate leaving my desk to eat. Usually I just bring food home and eat at my desk. (which Im doing now actually)

To love-ru darkness 2nd - 01
Those blu-ray ARE GOING TO SELL...

So , in the holy trinity of perverted anime ( to-loveru, dxd, testament) , it's to love-ru turn !

And damn , this season did start on some high gear.

The art style is kinda weird, i think i liked more the realistic style of the first darkness season, here is some weird lightning and weird effects..i do not like.

It does look a bit different, though TLRU always had a distinct look to it that is pretty unmistakable.

Maria The Virgin Witch 03-04

This fricking show.

What I expected:
To_Love-Ru_manga_volume_1.jpg

What I got:

Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Half way through Himouto and it feels like a clone of OreImo with an obnoxious heroine that I really can't stand. I think this is the first time in a while I've thought of bailing on a series in the middle of an episode.

TUSR

Banned
Half way through Himouto and it feels like a clone of OreImo with an obnoxious heroine that I really can't stand. I think this is the first time in a while I've thought of bailing on a series in the middle of an episode.

youre not alone. i managed to get through the whole episode.

Narag

And to think wonzo attempted to lead me into this mess.

javac

Treasure Island (Takarajima) - Episodes 9 - 11
Past Episodes:
Episodes 1 - 4
Episodes 5 - 8

Kidnapping, mutiny, pirates, betrayal, Treasure Island! It’s all here in the next 3 episodes! Really enjoyed these three episodes and pretty much everything I said earlier continues to hold true here. The music continues to be fantastic and the art style still looks really pleasing to the eyes. Plenty of pastel freeze frames and again as I mentioned previously, a myriad of effects and cinematography techniques are utilized in order to foster a unique atmosphere. It’s easy to say that I’m enjoying the series from a visual standpoint as well. I also have to say that I laugh quite a lot while watching Treasure Island and a lot of the humor is down to the mannerisms of the characters and it's subtle but highly entertaining. It’s good stuff and reminds me a lot of a series like SDF Macross but for kids and I like it a lot. It’s less preachy compared to other kid series like Romeo which is a series I loved a huge amount but was definitely going for a more education route with moral dilemmas and such, not to say that they don't exist here! Sea shanties all the way!

In the end, the show continues to be great and I’m super into it. Can’t wait to watch more!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Felt like dropping it halfway in too.

Himouto ep 1
I didn't expect this show to be 24 mins long, I thought it would be like a 5 to 10 mins short.

The way it seems to be is 5 min segments glued together in one episode.

As for the comparisons to Oreimo, the only thing I see from it is how the protagonist is an otaku and whatnot. Unless it does change and goes down that path, I wouldn't know since I never read the manga it originates from, she doesn't seem to have any kind of romantic feelings for him. The poor guy is just her puppet pretty much.

uguu-o.gif

It's gonna be awhile.. sucks..

But is it gonna be as long as the wait for KH3? LOL. Jokes aside, yeah it will. And I bet that just like with season 1, it'll be a while until another in the high school/slice of life genre comes and grabs my attention as much as SNAFU does.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
TpEwJSxl.jpg

vr5klCBl.jpg

MVFIGjwl.jpg

ty6BTewl.jpg

This is like the opposite of TRU, but equally shit. Thanks anime!

The way it seems to be is 5 min segments glued together in one episode.

As for the comparisons to Oreimo, the only thing I see from it is how the protagonist is an otaku and whatnot. Unless it does change and goes down that path, I wouldn't know since I never read the manga it originates from, she doesn't seem to have any kind of romantic feelings for him. The poor guy is just her puppet pretty much.
I don't care about the dumb incest stuff, because whatever. She's just an annoying selfish protagonist with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Doubly so because they do the whole stupid "closet otaku" thing.

If this was a male character, people would hate his fucking guts. :p

Why do you people keep calling To-Love-Ru TRU and not TLR, weebs

On another note it took me a long time to figure out To-Love-Ru was supposed to be a wordplay on Trouble

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Himouto 1
Yeah, this wasn't funny in the slightest. The episode actually felt tortuously long.
It felt like a premise pilot where the premise that should have taken one minute to explain (the brother's monologue at the beginning) was draw out to fit the entire running time of the episode.

---

Ore Monogatari
inRzwoRl.png

Dokidoki~~~

So, my personal feelings that Onee-san is the better character aside, I appreciate that they are able to present a love triangle that doesn't rely on you rooting for one person over the other. There are no real villains or "wrong choices" being made. The other girl isn't secretly evil or trying to steal the boyfriend or whatever. They just both have feelings for Takeo and it's just a matter of life turning out in a way where one person "wins" and the other "loses".

That said, the fact that Yamato is such a blank canvas (beyond the small moments where she reveals her own sexual urges) just makes her such a boring character to pair with Takeo. Drunk Onee-san having high-strung emotional adventures with Takeo is just such a much better premise that I'm just sad at the missed opportunity.

On another note it took me a long time to figure out To-Love-Ru was supposed to be a wordplay on Trouble

I know of the franchise only because of the internet and you guys talking about it, but goddamn if that didn't just blow my mind. The Japanese and their fucking engrish. They can get away with anything lol.

cajunator

Banned

Translation seemed fine..
So what is he says hot? The audience could still tell what he meant.
Im not understanding this translation hate?
It didnt make the show difficult to comprehend at all.
Actually it sounds like weeaboo whining.

The episode itself made it pretty clear that Taihei loves his sister in a normal, non-weird way. He gives her what she wants a lot due to a combination of being a push-over and also because she's also a manipulative asshole.

I know. Theres none of the usual winks to incest or anything even hinting it. Guy seemed pretty brotherly, sorta like the dude in Watamote

VRMN

Literally comparising Himouto to Oreimo.

Jesus fucking christ,
Yeah, well...I kind of expect the worst from the Internet at this point.

I liked it; felt it was a good representation of the manga. That some people find Umaru's cuteness to not override her spoiled brat nature is kind of a given. I don't think it's something that you can expect to be universally liked.

But their relationship is very much a normal older brother/younger sister one with no romantic overtones.

Mature

Jesus fucking christ,
Yeah? At first blush, I think that's pretty fair. Again: Popular "perfect" girl at school has a secret nerdy life at home. Her brother is the prominently featured tsukkomi who has to deal with what that side actually is. I'm sure the two diverge pretty heavily, but i'm not sure how's that's such a craaazy comparison after that first episode. lol

Jesus fucking christ,

Why would anyone be surprised at this comparison? The premises are incredibly similar. Obnoxious sister who is popular and talented at school is secretly a depraved Otaku who depends on her spineless brother.

What the first episode and tell us what we're supposed to think. :p

Read the manga.

Yeah, well...I kind of expect the worst from the Internet at this point.

I liked it; felt it was a good representation of the manga. That some people find Umaru's cuteness to not override her spoiled brat nature is kind of a given. I don't think it's something that you can expect to be universally liked.

But their relationship is very much a normal older brother/younger sister one with no romantic overtones.

It's merely comparing to Oreimo, not oh hey, shes a brat. Fuck her

Besides. When has wonzo ever steered anyone wrong with recommendations?

VRMN

Why would anyone be surprised at this comparison? The premises are incredibly similar. Obnoxious sister who is popular and talented at school is secretly a depraved Otaku who depends on her spineless brother.

It's the implication of a romantic overtone that's off-putting about it. Oreimo by the end of the first episode made it very clear that Kirino was a romantic figure.

It's the implication of a romantic overtone that's off-putting about it. Oreimo by the end of the first episode made it very clear that Kirino was a romantic figure.
That's the implication you are drawing. It's not the one I'm seeing made in this thread.

VRMN

It's merely comparing to Oreimo, not oh hey, shes a brat. Fuck her

Besides. When has wonzo ever steered anyone wrong with recommendations?
I'm not familiar with the recommendations. And I probably erred with that post by combining the comments on the Oreimo comparisons with the "she's annoying" complaints. The former I find invalid; the latter I disagree with, but I can see where some people wouldn't like her.

EDIT: Eh, if the only reason someone's deploying Oreimo is because Kirino was an asshole, fine, so be it. Umaru's like 1/10th the brat and she actually shows she cares for her brother pretty often, but fine.

Chaos dragon - 01

So many things wrong in this episode ..
The graphics, the animation , the pacing , the sheer numbers of plots started and the number of cheap shots .

If they wanted me to get me intrested , they failed.

The designs are ok on paper but everything about the presentation ..sucks.

I don't know why , but this show feels lackluster on EVERY aspect, that ..take some skill.

as for the ending , it really couldn't feel a thing about it , as for i'd already seen it at the end of assassin creed brotherhood.

That's the implication you are drawing. It's not the one I'm seeing made in this thread.

Comparing it to Oreimo is pretty much an implication. Imagine if you compared something to Oreimo to someone who isn't very attuned to anime. What implication will they get from that comparison? The incest is definitely one of those. Her character is more obscure than the implications of incest.

The sister's an asshole? Fine, fair enough. But then again, other peoples sisters are assholes too. Does that make them comparable to Oreimo because they're assholes?
cookie for ref

wonzo

Banned
these oreimo comparisons are gross as hell and p. much the weeb equivalent of neogaf posters comparing yu suzuki to dennis dyack

sonicmj1

Himouto! Umaru-chan

I agree that this episode belabored a premise that should have felt covered super-fast and stretched it over a long-ass time.

The bystanders looking at the apparently-perfect protagonist in awe reminded me a little of the early episodes of Love Lab, but that show kept those people more to the background, while Umaru-chan basically makes their reactions the center of the joke. It's not funny, and it's incredibly obvious every time it happens.

thlOvv0.png

And this test is a 92 at most.

The show looks and animates great, but I'd like it to be less abusive. Maybe it'll get better when Umaru's friends get more involved.

jgminto

I'd say I enjoyed the first episode of Himouto overall, it certainly doesn't deserve Oreimo comparisons. But basically everything set at school was dead air. It's all there to establish Umaru's outdoor personality but that was quickly displayed within 30 seconds. There's no other entertainment in the school scenes either, her classmates are clearly meant to be archetypes which would be fine if they didn't dedicate so much time to it this episode. The editing also feels sluggish for the jokes the show is trying to tell. While they still hit most of the time, they lacked the punch of well timed editing. Looking back at the Watamote anime, the way they packaged the NEET antics there was a lot more effective. Obviously that was going for a completely different tone but it was a full runtime show that successfully paced the sketch-like scenarios the protagonist found herself in without feeling stretched for material. I did enjoy the relationship between Umaru and her brother, it felt fairly natural and devoid of the stilted aura of many anime sibling relationships (Oreimo). As long as there isn't as much school time in future episode I'll look forward to watching it each week.

Yep. It's not my fault you guys associate OreImo with incest. I didn't watch S2, so I just associate that show with a shitty, selfish, bratty, obnoxious, terrible heroine who tortures her brother.

It was clear from the first episode that she wasn't that though. She can get on her brother's nerves but they still had fun times and memories together. On the other hand, Kirino was regularly antagonistic for no real reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Comparing it to Oreimo is pretty much an implication. Imagine if you compared something to Oreimo to someone who isn't very attuned to anime. What implication will they get from that comparison? The incest is definitely one of those. Her character is more obscure than the implications of incest.

The sister's an asshole? Fine, fair enough. But then again, other peoples sisters are assholes too. Does that make them comparable to Oreimo because they're assholes?
cookie for ref
The whole point of OreImo is that the sister is an asshole while the brother is the point of view character.

The only other manga that I know that is even close in premise is the yuri otaku manga, but even that's different because the point of view is with the sister and the brother is barely in that manga. Well, and the yuri I suppose.

Sure, if you want to ignore the entire context of this thread and what the post that started this actually said. Firehawk's original post about this is quite clearly not talking about incest, but about the "obnoxious heroine." And no one here is talking to the masses.
cookie for ref
The similarities go quite a bit beyond that, as have been detailed. At least based off this episode.

OceanBlue

Inami has really grown on me. I don't know if it's because it's been a long time since I've seen season 1, but I really appreciate how she's the new normal character now that Takanashi is basically all about little girls now lol. My favorite character in Working now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Like I said, I didn't watch S2, so as far as I know, the brother fucked that goth cat girl and the sister is off on some stupid American track scholarship that only exists in this imaginary anime world.
but s2 exists. you can't just ignore what oreimo is actually about lol

javac

Man the ED (YouTube link) for Treasure Island is amazing, one of my favorites for sure. I'd say the Macross ED is my favorite of all time due to how much it blew me away when I first saw it and the way its woven into the show itself. What's everybody's favorites? A good ED is great and makes for a great note to end on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom