• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting game aesthetics

Valhelm

contribute something
Pretty straightforward thread. Is there a particular area, character, or faction from a video game that you really love?

My favorite aesthetic is probably the Covenant from Halo Reach. I really enjoyed how their architecture was both organic and obviously artificial. Every battleship looked like some kind of creature made of silicon, with valves, bones, and sphincters inside. The enemies' armor was also very natural, almost like chitin. What's really cool is that the higher-ranking units had more angular armor with a clear Forerunner influence.

H3ODST_Heretic_env-01.jpg

H4-T31SeraphXMF.png

halo_reach_elite_armor_by_odstboy-d3jv3kw.jpg

Ladekabel

Korgans are my favorite species from the Mass Effect games. While I like their design the modified appearance of Grunt is my favorite. Don't know why I love it so much but it resonates with me the most.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
JSR. Especially for its time.
jet-set-radio-hd-rerelease-580x326.jpg

Wow, that was quick!

Came to post that.

Also, gotta go dig out that Mama Robotnik research thread...

RTxRcES.jpg

aErJRKN.jpg

sFAQumY.jpg

y8clw3n.jpg

It's not really chibi, and it's not really steampunk, and it's not really the generic fantasy. It's not old world but it's definitely not modern. It doesn't look ripped from the pages of LotR or a $99c fantasy book at the back of Half of Books. It's very unique, and so absolutely filled with attention to detail. It has a beautifully realized atmosphere that can be dark and brooding, yet the unexpectedly chipper and humorous characters fit right in.

Blizzard

Banned
The entirety of Mirrors Edge

Insanely good looking.
I think the Mirror's Edge artstyle is indeed very pleasant. It's what I thought of immediately.

Trying to think of another example, I liked the snowy magic school area in Skyrim. Music may have been a large part of that, of course.

Valhelm

contribute something
The Skyrim Dwemer style is another good one. There aren't enough good screenshots to do it justice, but the ruins have this amazing Art Deco aesthetic that's a little bit like Bioshock. Ancient and futuristic in the coolest way, with really great bold lines and geometric elements.

Blizzard

Banned
I remembered another one! NaissanceE had some horrible almost seizure-inducing black and white parts, but when the screen wasn't going crazy there were some really neat architecture parts. The term I've heard is "brutalist".

naissancee_screenshotzbqam.jpg

It feels a bit like some enormous, abandoned city created by strange, ancient beings.

Valhelm

contribute something
I remembered another one! NaissanceE had some horrible almost seizure-inducing black and white parts, but when the screen wasn't going crazy there were some really neat architecture parts. The term I've heard is "brutalist".

naissancee_screenshotzbqam.jpg

It feels a bit like some enormous, abandoned city created by strange, ancient beings.

That's pretty cool. It reminds me of the puzzle side-game from Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Breakage

MGS2's dark futuristic aesthetic is one of the main reasons it's my favourite Metal Gear Solid game. The whole game feels like an ominous journey through a machine.

elshaddai919.jpg

From the moment I saw El Shaddai, I knew that I had to play it.
The moment I played it, I knew I wanted to stop.

Unique, interesting(looking) game.

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, a triumph of game design

Ruins of human archetecture, riven with voids, now home to clearly inhuman demons using them in oddly human ways in an almost mocking fashion.

hND6REz.jpg

The Vortex World is inside-out; when you look up you see ruins, demonic bases of operation and zen garden wastelands stretching to the non-existant horizon in every direction.

j2szmCS.jpg

It is a game that delights in sending you into dark, dangerous abodes. What light there is often takes the form of wan, foggy light from the false sun of Kagatsuchi at the center of the inside-out world...

kYqUMKR.gif

...or lost in the aggressive blood-red of magatsuhi, the fuel for demons...

tNSr6Tp.gif

Tuning, dialogue, art direction, music...it moves as one.

Mista Koo

Apotheon and Cuphead are two of the coolest styles I've seen used in games. I didn't like Apotheon overall however, hopefully I enjoy Cuphead more.
Same here. I bought Apotheon based on aesthetics alone, but I don't think I'll ever attempt to play the whole game.

Persona7

Banned
In Silent Hill 3 there is a small alley passage after you exit the bathroom at the start of the game and it has a weird fog/sky hue and I always thought that specific area stood out.

r4Jskin.jpg

The entire game has a wonderful aesthetic.

Shr2WUd.jpg

Lijik

Evil Twin has a fun city of lost children/german expressionism inspired look to it but the area that blew me away was the school level. While most of the game is fantastical, blending that with the grounded school theme gives way to some really surreal stuff. The only area that i can easily find screenshots for is the hub area, an oversized classroom where the giant teacher shoots lasers at you from his eyes
6TOw9vC.jpg

Levels in the area include a nurse's office that wouldnt be out of place in a silent hill game, and a dream-like school yard which is my personal favorite. I cant find a commentary less video of it, so this will have to do. The imagery of the giant iron hopscotch board at the end of the playground acting as a door to a starry dreamscape really stuck with me for some reason.

Can't post pictures right now, but I like ICO and Splatoon's aesthetics. Valiant Hearts and Journey are also lovely to look at. I love Wolfenstein: The New Order's brutalist architecture too.

Muramasa, game is gorgeous.

All vanillaware games share this specific aesthetic and funny enough, all three games (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown) have different setting but still manage to share this consistent god tier art direction in Nordic-ish mythology, Edo / shinto era and european medieval fantasy

TI82

Banned
Dragons Crown has some really good looking stuff, the girls just look so weird.

The Banner Saga looks really amazing like Don Bluth animation with a very strong Scandinavian influence.

Mass Effect has always looked great, but Garrus in particular just looks like this really intense badass from the get-go. Even as the series goes on and his body is mutilated he stays so... intriguing.

drGonz0o

Neo Member
All vanillaware games share this specific aesthetic and funny enough, all three games (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown) have different setting but still manage to share this consistent god tier art direction in Nordic-ish mythology, Edo / shinto era and european medieval fantasy

Yes, very talented studio. Can't wait to see what their next game will be. Never played Odin Sphere, but I wish that they bring Muramasa Rebirth to PS4 or PS3. I guess that cost a lot of money, and they are not a big studio.

Valhelm

contribute something
Bumping with one I forgot: Black Velvetopia, from Psychonauts.

It's some of the most brilliant use of color in any video game. This level is so incredibly fun to prowl around in, and the use of playing card iconography is pretty clever.

Anno

Most everything from Endless Legend. Many 4x games don't tend to take many liberties with their art direction: most just look like some form of the real world. EL basically has a super unique look for almost everything from the general game UI to the units and factions to the map itself. It's really refreshing to watch.

SomTervo

Broken Age art style is beautiful:
screen520x924.jpeg

This is a good answer. Me and my partner just finished it the other day. Wonderful aesthetic in that game.

I'd ad El Shaddai (which I never even played), Jet Set Radio, and Shadow of the Colossus plus Ico.

Top Bottom