• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting game aesthetics

bPsuPZm.jpg

tqr3vTx.jpg

o7wA1yM.jpg

GenericUser

In Silent Hill 3 there is a small alley passage after you exit the bathroom at the start of the game and it has a weird fog/sky hue and I always thought that specific area stood out.

r4Jskin.jpg

I like this, it felt like somebody quick and dirty pulled down some walls in his favourite quake 2 level editor and crowned it with some awesome lighting and ambience sounds. Wonderful. Love it. Always feels special.

GenericUser

holy shit! I need to play this now! Heard of the game before, but never saw anything of it. Is the game any good?

I bought it ... back in the day. It's a garbage jrpg, avoid it! Graphics are really cool though, but it's simply no fun to play. Sorry.

bomblord1

Banned
This art style isn't completely unique but the bold clean design, Mediterranean influence, and liberal use of colors always made it stand out to me.
I really need to get back and finish it.
Rune Factory Tides of Destiny shots were taken in dolphin

Trainman

Neo Member
Bioshock 2

LambsG1.png

The Art Deco styling mixed with the natural reclamation taking place in many environments is really pleasing to me. I can't remember how much of this was in the first Bioshock, but in my memory Bioshock 2 has a lot more color and life generally.

rhandino

Banned
I haven't personally played it, but from what I've seen the aesthetic of El Shaddai: The Ascension of Metatron is just absolutely magnificent.
I played it like 2 times and those visuals + the soundtrack make the game look like a work of art in movement.

Too bad the gameplay is kind of basique beyond belief tho. Is serviceable but... welp =/

I've always thoroughly enjoyed Blizzards art direction. Tyrael being one of my favorites, along with the rest of the angels and the High Heavens:

Heroes-of-the-Storm-Gets-Tyrael-Details-Tips-Gameplay-Video-435410-2.jpg

concept-heaven-peter-lee1.png

diablo_3_act_iv__heaven_by_jaded_but_cute-d5090nc.jpg

Lots of my favorites were already mentioned (Okami, Mirror's Edge, Transistor or Baten Kaitos), but there is also :

Resident Evil Rebirth, I think that lots of survival horror would be better with pre-rendered decors

Ace Attorney 5, it's rather impressive for a 3DS game, especially in motion.

prophecy0

Wow, that was quick!

Came to post that.

Also, gotta go dig out that Mama Robotnik research thread...

RTxRcES.jpg

aErJRKN.jpg

sFAQumY.jpg

y8clw3n.jpg

It's not really chibi, and it's not really steampunk, and it's not really the generic fantasy. It's not old world but it's definitely not modern. It doesn't look ripped from the pages of LotR or a $99c fantasy book at the back of Half of Books. It's very unique, and so absolutely filled with attention to detail. It has a beautifully realized atmosphere that can be dark and brooding, yet the unexpectedly chipper and humorous characters fit right in.

FFIX is my favorite Final Fantasy and I agree that its aesthetic is fantastic. I would also argue that the other PS1 Final Fantasy games also had a very distinct, we'll defined aesthetic.

I've always thoroughly enjoyed Blizzards art direction. Tyrael being one of my favorites, along with the rest of the angels and the High Heavens:

Definitely, though Diablo 3 is a step down from 2 in my opinion.

untitled110rtd.png

untitled293p4z.png

Screenshots from the first two acts of the game. I think it still looks gorgeous. Probably because it manages to appear grounded even in spite of all the fantastic shit that is going on in the Diablo universe.

*looks at avatar*
Killer7, of course. The use of strong shadows with the simple texturing mix well with the creepy vibe of it all. Enemies disintegrate in particles that fly all over the screen in unnerving manner. It is so beautifully orchestrated.

nothing against the game, but it really isn't such a unique aesthetic, it's a nice filter applied to what is otherwise relatively standard srpg visual design.

It is one of the better visual designs in that style, and there are other interesting things about its style here, like the use of color and the unique texturing that goes really well with the filter. Everything works well enough together and makes it look specially good.

The moment I saw the topic title I thought Halo Reach haha. I don't even know why to be honest. I mean, I think it looks great and Halo as a whole as lot of unique aesthetics, but I immediately thought that was a random game to pop into my head, and figured OT would be as far off from it as possible. lol

The Hotline Miami games have such bizarre looking pixel art. It really fits the surreal feel that the games have.

gaming_hotline_miami_screenshot_1.jpg

hm6_24748.jpg

hotline_miami_2_wrong_number_2.jpg

Really cool looking. I love the choice of color a lot.

SimonChris

Neo Member
bo-billede-1.jpg

7_blackout12.jpg

7_blackout01.jpg

7_blackout14.jpg

7_blackout13.jpg

7_blackout15.jpg

The classic Danish stop motion noir adventure game Blackout, which is filmed entirely inside a detailed scale model puppet city. It's a real pity it was never published internationally, because I don't think there is anything else quite like it.

I'm doing a subtitled translation LP at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af-DdZOgrx8, in case anyone would like to see more.

StayDead

Two more modern examples (Screenshots from Miiverse)

k1Wrrvk.jpg

o2i14jq.jpg

Both beautiful games with great music and an art style that I've not really seen pulled off anywhere else. Complete joys to play.

Azzawon

For me, Transistor takes the cake. Such a beautiful game, and I'd probably put Ori close behind.

Another notable mention for a game that really needs no introduction - a fun and aesthetically pleasing art style:

Castle Crashers, for those unaware

Noogy

I was a HUGE fan of the Combine aesthetics from Half-Life 2. It was a brilliant use of available tech... lots of hard angles, thin metal bits, and reflective obsidian textures.

Dead Space later did similar things. Very clever workaround for polygon count limits.

only 1 okami image so far, this needs to be fixed.

Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/capcomdatabase/images/2/2e/Okami_HD_Screenshot.png/revision/latest?cb=20130507134815[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/Okami-PS21.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/ps3/okami_hd/screens/okami_hd_39.jpg[/IMG]

Top Bottom