• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrex said:
Indeed. It also occured to me that the Cliq's layout...

motorola-cliq-with-motoblur-580x452.jpg

... of a D-Pad on the left of the keyboard plus accelerometer, etc. makes it the best possible phone gaming hardware coming out as far as I can see. I can see emulators especially benefiting from this, though obviously so will all the other Market games.

Yeah, that's what bugs me about Sholes and I hope changes. D-Pad to the right of keyboard on early models = FAIL! :(

Pimpwerx

Was at the mall helping my girl get a myTouch. The Motorola brochures were in the kiosk from Friday. Looks like the rollout of the Cliq is not far off at all. The kiosk guys seemed impressed with it too. PEACE.

I Just wish the Cliq wasnt a Motorola phone, I want something in that style running android, but preferably from HTC, or maybe Samsung.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pimpwerx said:
Was at the mall helping my girl get a myTouch. The Motorola brochures were in the kiosk from Friday. Looks like the rollout of the Cliq is not far off at all. The kiosk guys seemed impressed with it too. PEACE.

Whoah, brochures already? Nice.

I hope the price is agreeable to the "socially-cliquey" audience Moto is aiming at. And by that, I mean I hope I won't have to pay a ton for it. :lol

The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah, that's what bugs me about Sholes and I hope changes. D-Pad to the right of keyboard on early models = FAIL! :(

Even still, the Sholes keyboard looks fantastic. 4 rows, and probably around 3.3-3.5" (with the screen being 3.7".) Sholes should be fantastic, but possibly not for running emulators.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DarkJC said:
Strongly agree with this. When viewing and reading impressions of the Hero, what I come away with is that it really could use a better processor. When I found out the Cliq uses similar hardware, I was disappointed.

Maybe, but Engadget is already calling the Cliq blazing fast despite being pre-production firmware (and probably hardware as well.) Continual software improvements will be Android's shining badge of honor. Plus it undoubtedly keeps the costs down, but I suspect T-Mo upped their percentage of profits after the G1 did well, as the MyTouch isn't worth $200 with two-year contract.

Though I am impressed with the Clique's hardware overall; closed and open it looks really slick, especially Titanium (though the side and bottom views seem kinda cludgy.) It also has a great battery and camera capacities, the "standard" Android ROM/RAM/CPU, a 3.5mm headset jack, plus a fantastic slide-out keyboard. Really, this is exactly everything the G1 should have been when it came out.

Husker86 said:
Doesn't the Sprint Hero have a 1500mAh battery? Also, I think you can take off the rumored tag =p

Right right, that's why I also post the updates outside of the OP, so you guys can correct me. :)

I should also probably change "(Fall)" in the Lancaster... and maybe gray it out a bit..

Future

It bugs me that no manufacturer will make a phone as fast as the iPhone. Does anyone have these Android phones? What is the responsiveness like?

I went to the store to try the newly released Touch Pro 2. Windows Mobile phone I know, but it has similar old hardware:

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Memory ROM: 512 MB
RAM: 288 MB

While nice and pretty it lacks the speed and responsiveness of the iPhone, which is very noticeable when switching between apps. Of course its also using crappy Windows Mobile so that could be the cause as well. I tried the G1 in store as well but I know thats old. Does anyone know if Android phones are better speedwise?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Future said:
It bugs me that no manufacturer will make a phone as fast as the iPhone. Does anyone have these Android phones? What is the responsiveness like?

I went to the store to try the newly released Touch Pro 2. Windows Mobile phone I know, but it has similar old hardware:

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Memory ROM: 512 MB
RAM: 288 MB

While nice and pretty it lacks the speed and responsiveness of the iPhone, which is very noticeable when switching between apps. Of course its also using crappy Windows Mobile so that could be the cause as well. I tried the G1 in store as well but I know thats old. Does anyone know if Android phones are better speedwise?

The MyTouch 3G is a little faster than the G1, and the Cliq seems to be a bit faster than that. Really I played with a MyTouch 3G at a T-Mobile booth and it seemed plenty fast enough for me. Then again I'm also used to the Android Emulator, which isn't super-responsive on account of it being emulated and everything...

Raydeen

Am cry at the lack of Xenon flashes in all these phones. I've got a LG Renior at the moment and the day photos are excellent, but for clubs ect my four year old Sony Ericsson Cybershot 800 smokes it into oblivion - with the portrait mode on it actually took better pictures then some of my friends Fujipics and co. F**k having to carry around a seperate camera at parties and stuff. Why bother with LEDs? Even dual ones are practically useless.

Liking Android though - I'll definately be plumping for a Hero or something similar when upgrade time comes - but please include a Xenon flash HTC - I'm happy to pay more!

Pimpwerx

What's the update cycle like for the Android OS? I want them to put in multitouch support. Otherwise, I love this OS better than the iPhone OS. The integration of the various services is great. I've only had it the weekend, so I don't know what else I'd want other than multitouch and faster hardware. I already have 90% of my non-gaming iPhone apps covered. I trust more apps will provide widgets in the future.

Oh yeah, is there a way to get multitouch on the myTouch? I see various posts about a Magic ROM (for the HTC Magic?), but I'm not 100% sure on how to go about it. Also, is there a way to take screen caps? I'd like to show off my cool (albeit geeky) home screens. PEACE.

EDIT: Lastly, any suggestions on getting a myTouch to work with iTunes or recommendations on other music apps?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pimpwerx said:
What's the update cycle like for the Android OS?

I think it'll be two minor (1.1, 1.5, 1.6) and one major (1.0, 2.0) updates per year.

Pimpwerx said:
I want them to put in multitouch support.

The HTC Hero and presumably other capacitive HTC Sense devices have multitouch. Google have said they'll put it in the Android source when the hardware makers want it, which is strange since the G1 screen (and I think MyTouch's too) supports it. There was also word of the Donut/1.6 branch having multitouch drivers a while ago, don't know if anything will come from it.

In a Phonedog hands-on of the Cliq a Motorola spokeswoman said that it doesn't support multitouch "at this time". Interesting choice of words.

Pimpwerx said:
Otherwise, I love this OS better than the iPhone OS. The integration of the various services is great. I've only had it the weekend, so I don't know what else I'd want other than multitouch and faster hardware. I already have 90% of my non-gaming iPhone apps covered. I trust more apps will provide widgets in the future.

Oh yeah, is there a way to get multitouch on the myTouch? I see various posts about a Magic ROM (for the HTC Magic?), but I'm not 100% sure on how to go about it.

This article and accompanying video will help you out. Essentially, you download an app to "root" your phone and gain what's essentially admin privileges. Then, head to the XDA Developers forums for further assistance. (HTC Sapphire/Magic = MyTouch) Keep in mind that the MyTouch has the "32B" motherboard, this will come in handy later on.

Pimpwerx said:
Also, is there a way to take screen caps? I'd like to show off my cool (albeit geeky) home screens. PEACE.

Download the Android SDK, go to the "tools" folder and open ddms.bat. Then, in your phone, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check "USB debugging." Hook your phone up, and in the Debug Moniter, go to Device -> Screen capture..., or Ctrl+S.

Pimpwerx said:
EDIT: Lastly, any suggestions on getting a myTouch to work with iTunes or recommendations on other music apps?

http://www.doubletwist.com/

El Papa

Andrex said:
Download the Android SDK, go to the "tools" folder and open ddms.bat. Then, in your phone, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check "USB debugging." Hook your phone up, and in the Debug Moniter, go to Device -> Screen capture..., or Ctrl+S.
You can also use the Screenshot app if you have a rooted phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
El Papa said:
You can also use the Screenshot app if you have a rooted phone.

Right, I forget about that. What happens if you run it but you don't? I've always been curious. :p Also it's available on the Android Market, correct?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
archos-5-android-rm-eng-600.jpg

Just a reminder that Archos is set to unveil their two Android-based mobile internet devices, the A5H and A5S, later today. Each is rumored to come standard with a 4.8" WVGA (800x480) touchscreen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, MicroSD slot, 720p video output capabilities, and Archos' MID app store, AppsLib (pictured below.) Additionally, one of them will also sport 3G capabilities, allowing for internet on the go, and both will be compatible with previous Archos 5 peripherals (like the video output/DVR dock.) The prices and storage capacities are as follows: 8GB flash memory for $249, 16GB flash memory for $299, 32GB flash memory for $379, 160GB hard drive for $329, and 500GB hard drive for $499. The hard drive variations will likely be more hefty and require extra care due to the moving parts.

I also found what I believe to be a "leaked" press release confirming it will be available online at Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and Archos.com later today, and can be bought in retail at RadioShack, Best Buy, InMotion and FutureShop in October:

Twice.com said:
Greenwood Village, Colo. - Archos continues to broaden its portfolio of mobile devices beyond portable media players (PMPs) with the launch of an Android-based mobile Internet device (MID) and its first ultramobile PC (UMPC). Both are Wi-Fi-equipped.

The Android-based MID, called an Internet media tablet (IMT) by the company, is the Archos5, which is equipped with 5-inch widescreen touchscreen. It becomes available online Sept. 15 at Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and Archos.com at prices from $249 to $499 in capacities from 8GB to 500GB. It goes on sale in early October in RadioShack, Best Buy, InMotion and FutureShop. The company launched its first IMTs last year, but none were Android-based.

In UMPCs, the company plans mid-October availability of its touchscreen-equipped Archos 9 UMPC, which runs Microsoft Windows 7 Home and Student on Intel's Atom Z515 1.2GHz processor. It's priced at a suggested $499 with 60GB hard drive. A 120GB version is planned at an unspecified later date.

The Archos 5 and Archos 9 follow the launch earlier this year of the company's first netbook, the Archos 10, which became available in July at 1,000 Blockbuster stores at $299 with embedded link to Blockbuster.com

Like the company's PMPs, which aren't Wi-Fi-equipped, the Archos 5 IMT plays back audio and video, stores digital photos, and stores recorded TV shows when plugged into an optional DVR docking station. The Archos 5 adds Web browser, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, ability to download Android applications, Wi-Fi access to Web radio and Web TV channels, personal navigation device (PND) functionality with built-in GPS and voice guidance, and RDS-equipped FM tuner. Other features include stereo Bluetooth, 720p video storage and playback, and TV output to display video and Web sites on a connected TV.

The Archos 5 is available with 8GB of flash memory at $249, 16GB of flash memory at $299, and 32GB flash at $379. All three come with MicroSD card slots for additional storage. The 160GB and 500GB versions are equipped with hard drive at $329 and $499, respectively.

The Archos 9 UMPC features 8.9-inch 1,024 by 600-pixel touchscreen, virtual keyboard and Wi-Fi 802.11b/g. The 0.63-inch-thick device will come in 60GB and 120GB hard-drive versions with a choice of black or white. Features include a 1.3-megapixel built-in Web cam, optical track-point mouse, 1GB of RAM, Bluetooth, Skype software for audio/video conferencing, built-in stereo speakers, removable lithium-polymer battery, two high-speed USB ports and Ethernet port.

The company expects them to be compatible with 3G-cellular USB modems.

This could be really big, they have finally hit US retail! Let's hope their hardware quality is up to snuff, because I've heard varying reports on that.

Also, I don't know when this happened but it must have been in the past few weeks, but Archos released screenshots of AppsLib on their developer website, confirming the above concept render for their Android devices.

screen_dev1_big.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sorry for the double post, but some more info on the Archos event: there are two events, one in Paris and one in London. The Paris one will be taking place from approximately 11 AM EST to 12 Noon EST (if my conversion is right.) I don't know the time of the London event, but I don't expect it to be earlier than that. Possible liveblog sites:

- http://www.generationmp3.com/ (French)
- http://www.archoslounge.net/ (French)
- http://stuff.tv/
- http://www.slipperybrick.com/

So hopefully everything will go smoothly. :) We already know almost all the details they'll reveal, so hopefully it won't be too boring.

Andrex said:
The MyTouch 3G is a little faster than the G1, and the Cliq seems to be a bit faster than that. Really I played with a MyTouch 3G at a T-Mobile booth and it seemed plenty fast enough for me. Then again I'm also used to the Android Emulator, which isn't super-responsive on account of it being emulated and everything...

OK specs wise, I'm sure the 3GS is probably the best phone on the market, but lets put it into perspective.

Web browsing - doesn't load any flash elements, hence it's the fastest browser.
General speed - Can't multitask, all processing power going into one function at a time.

I've read that if you use a class 6 SD card, and either flash the Hero ROM or wait for the HTC firmware update, the speed is considerably improved.

Nokia have a phone coming out with a 1gig processor, as do SE, I'm sure that specs wise, the iPhone will be eclipsed soon enough.

alternade

Level 8 Boss said:
OK specs wise, I'm sure the 3GS is probably the best phone on the market, but lets put it into perspective.

Web browsing - doesn't load any flash elements, hence it's the fastest browser.
General speed - Can't multitask, all processing power going into one function at a time.

I've read that if you use a class 6 SD card, and either flash the Hero ROM or wait for the HTC firmware update, the speed is considerably improved.

Nokia have a phone coming out with a 1gig processor, as do SE, I'm sure that specs wise, the iPhone will be eclipsed soon enough.

Is there any timeline/rumor of when the first Snapdragon Android phone will be? I don't think the speed of the hero will be bad, although i've heard reports that HTC keeps putting out FW updates that fix it.

BTW is there a way to "install" android on a device if you wish to? Newb question but can you flash a phone with a cooked rom of android? Has this been tried yet with like a WinMo phone?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Does Android support Buletooth file transfer yet?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
alternade said:
Is there any timeline/rumor of when the first Snapdragon Android phone will be? I don't think the speed of the hero will be bad, although i've heard reports that HTC keeps putting out FW updates that fix it.

BTW is there a way to "install" android on a device if you wish to? Newb question but can you flash a phone with a cooked rom of android? Has this been tried yet with like a WinMo phone?

You can install cooked ROMs of Android onto any existing Android hardware. Anything that doesn't run Android initially can not run ROMs of it at this time, that I know of.

The first Snapdragon phone we know of will probably be the Sony-Ericsson Xperia X3, but who knows when that's coming out.

Husker86

SSGMUN10000 said:
I really want the Hero but is it worth to switch from ATT to Sprint? Anyone have experiences with both networks?

I've used both, but only had the iPhone for 3 months (all my other experience is with Sprint). In my opinion Sprint is much better, at least in my area. Sprint has a larger 3G network than AT&T, usually comes out on top as far as speed goes (but that obviously depends on precisely where you're standing at the time).

Anyway, I'm much happier with Sprint, though I'm in the midwest, I'm sure AT&T is stronger on the coasts (not to say that Sprint would be weaker on the coasts).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
nataku said:
That is one nice looking phone.

Too bad it's T-mobile.... again. Bring this thing, or something that looks like it, to Sprint.

Motorola's CEO said yesterday they were in talks with other US service providers for it, so there's hope.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/archoslounge-jbmm-life

Livestream. I have no speakers on the comp I'm using atm, but they're showing how the A5 is better for browsing because of the bigger size, higher resolution, and superior ergonomics.

Some leaked shots (it can go vertical!):

ARCHOS_5_Internet_Tablet_with_music_cover.jpg
Safari__cranSnapz002.jpg

Also, apparently there won't be a 16 GB model, but instead a 64 GB one. The hard drive models also won't have a MicroSD slot.

Fatalah

Motorola looking to bring Android to 'all the US operators'

T-Mobile doesn't get to have all the fun with the CLIQ -- we know with some certainty that the Sholes is destined to bring Motorola's Android push to Verizon, and if CEO Sanjay Jha has anything to say about it, the fun doesn't stop there. Speaking at an analyst conference, Jha mentioned yesterday that his company is "in talks with all large operators in the US," meaning that Cellular South and Cincinnati Bell are probably out of luck in the short term -- but AT&T and Sprint are likely getting the full-court press to sign up for a MOTOBLUR-powered phone or two as we speak. The US (and really, the entire world) is still fairly Android-starved with only a small handful of big-name models actually circulating in retail, so another manufacturer actively trying to get carriers on board isn't going to hurt -- and considering Moto's impetus to turn big profits on the double, we bet these guys are putting on some slick, convincing, promise-filled presentations in the boardrooms.

This story makes my day. Sure, it's not a confirmation or anything, but I like hearing "Verizon and Android" on a daily basis. At least until it's finally announced.

So when is some company going to try to make a Android phone that could try to compete with the iPhone. I mean, none of them have the right looks (most Android phones are just downright ugly), and without a proper shell (like the HTC Hero) the OS itself looks terrible as well. It's like they're not even trying? What is up with that?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Archos Android A5
  • FM Tuner
  • 800 MHz CPU, smooth "PC-like" browsing
  • Archos programmed their own video, music, photos, DVR, WebTV, radio, and content apps for Android
  • Google apps seem MIA
  • Full screen Flash (unknown if it's used in the browser itself)
  • They'll upgrade it to Android 2.0 when it arrives (unknown if they'll upgrade it to 1.6)
  • "Archos Multi-Media super widget"
  • Supports Matroska (.mkv) container 720p
  • First product in the world with both H.264 720p YouTube HD and MKV support
  • Support for viewing Microsoft Office and PDF files, the presentation is being run from the device
  • Messaging support: AIM, Facebook, GTalk, MySpace, ICQ
  • Bundled with a VOIP app
  • HDMI mini-dock available, has USB host
  • Compatible with Bluetooth keyboards!
  • Can tether to a phone via Bluetooth (Bluetooth file transfer?)
  • European Prices:
    8GB - 229 Euro (~$334.29)
    32GB - 289 Euro (~$421.88)
    64GB - 399 Euro (~$582.46)

120GB - 349 Euro (~$509.47)
    500GB - 400 Euro (~$583.92)

* Note, we already know in the US, the 500GB is $430, so these do not reflect the US prices.​

Ongoing source.

500GB version online for $430 at Amazon now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First up we have Engadget's hands on with a nifty video showing off just how well Android meshes with Archos' hardware and HD video:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/archos-5-internet-tablet-makes-an-honest-pmp-out-of-android/

Engadget said:
The tablet runs a 4.8-inch 800 x 480 screen, and can pump out 720p video (including WMV and H.264) over HDMI. Because it's Archos' own special sauce, the device also supports protected WMV and protected WMA (hooray PlaysForSure), a rarity for Linux. With the optional DVR Station the device can do VGA TV recording, though you'll probably want to spring for one of the beefy HDD models, which offer capacity up to 500GB, but double the girth of the basic 0.4-inch thick flash player. There's also 802.11n WiFi, a bit of a rarity in portable devices like this, and quite a treat for 2.4GHz-addled city dwellers.

But that's all pretty regular Archos-ey stuff. The newness for Archos comes in the form of Android, which has been fairly seamlessly melded with the Archos layer -- which hovers over the vanilla Android install when needed. The OS scales up pretty nicely to 800 x 480, which is a relief because the touchscreen keyboard is a bit of a chore with the 5's resistive touchscreen. Since it's not a Google-blessed device, you'll have to score a copy of Gmail on your own time, but the regular Market is available if you want to risk going around the 5-optimized AppsLib store. Several third party apps are included out of the gate, including ThinkFree Mobile, which should be updated to allow for document editing in the near future. When plugged into a dock and paired with an optional mini-QWERTY keypad (or any regular Bluetooth keyboard and mouse) the 5 becomes a rather nice way to surf the internet on your TV. It's missing in-browser Flash, but there should be an update to rectify that soon. Out of the house the tablet offers a high-end GPS experience, including hugemongous birds eye photo maps of major cities, and can tether with a 3G phone over Bluetooth for a bit of data. So, Archos 5 might not be Android's killer device, mainly because it isn't a phone and doesn't make for pleasurable mobile data entry or consumption. Still, it's doing stuff with media that the relatively sluggish crop of Android handsets have failed at so far, and hopefully will spur the community to greater heights. The player is available as of today, with prices ranging from $250 to $440, not to mention accessories galore.

Complete with some great pics:

archos-5-hands-18.jpg

archos-5-hands-16.jpg

archos-5-hands-02.jpg

archos-5-hands-09.jpg

archos-5-hands-29.jpg

archos-5-hands-19.jpg

More interestingly and probably more relevant to many people here is the phone Archos teased at the end of their presentation.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/archos-phone-tablet-teased-android-4-3-inch-touschscreen-1ghz/

archos-phone-tablet-rm-eng.jpg

- 4.3" WVGA (854 x 480) screen
- 1 GHz processor
- 10mm thin

I heard people complaining about CPUs? :D

ha1f

I'm in so hard for one of these Archos tablets. Thinking about how I paid $400 for my n800 a few years ago makes me a little sick to my stomach...

But man oh man, if that's not a fucking awesome device, I don't know what is.

ianswoody

I'm a Sprint customer and I'm looking to stay with them since I get a discount through work. I'm up for upgrade and I'm seriously considering getting the HTC Hero. I'm confused about Android though. Will it allow me to sync my already established Google apps such as Calendar, Docs and Gmail? I can access Gmail with my current phone, but will it be better through Android? I'll be gaining more responsibility through work, so I would love to be able to do most of the stuff I do at work (make orders, update employee schedules, etc.) on the road. Thanks in advance.

Also considering doing the Palm Pre.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ianswoody said:
I'm a Sprint customer and I'm looking to stay with them since I get a discount through work. I'm up for upgrade and I'm seriously considering getting the HTC Hero. I'm confused about Android though. Will it allow me to sync my already established Google apps such as Calendar, Docs and Gmail? I can access Gmail with my current phone, but will it be better through Android? I'll be gaining more responsibility through work, so I would love to be able to do most of the stuff I do at work (make orders, update employee schedules, etc.) on the road. Thanks in advance.

Also considering doing the Palm Pre.

Many review sites have lauded the GMail app on Android as being second-to-none, you'll have no problem there. Calendar syncs perfectly too, as will Exchange too. Docs is accessed through a web interface as far as I know, but there are several dedicated word processors in the Market.

Android, especially on the Hero with Sense, is simply much more mature than anything the Pre can deliver. The Android Market has about 10,000 apps right now and that number is exploding; just about a month ago when the MyTouch launched, T-Mobile pegged that number at 6,300. With more and more devices on the way, the Hero being one of them, the Market will continue its meteoric rise, taking Android with it.

phinious

Oh man, I was gonna buy a Zune HD after work today. Now I can't decide if I would rather have this Archos! The only advantages I see the Zune having are the HD Radio (meh) and the ability to use Zune pass (AWESOME)

Meanwhile this thing has GPS and a bunch of other great features. Anyone know if its possible to use the Archos with a Zune Pass?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
phinious said:
Oh man, I was gonna buy a Zune HD after work today. Now I can't decide if I would rather have this Archos! The only advantages I see the Zune having are the HD Radio (meh) and the ability to use Zune pass (AWESOME)

Meanwhile this thing has GPS and a bunch of other great features. Anyone know if its possible to use the Archos with a Zune Pass?

Nope. But you can use the 10 free songs you get a month if they're unprotected.

Does the ZuneHD have a browser? I still am using my Zune 30 but I've fallen out of love with the brand. The browser would be the deciding factor for me. Plus, Android has about 10,000 apps right now, how much will ZuneHD have when it launches? I'm not bashing it, I'm just curious.

phinious

Andrex said:
Nope. But you can use the 10 free songs you get a month if they're unprotected.

Does the ZuneHD have a browser? I still am using my Zune 30 but I've fallen out of love with the brand. The browser would be the deciding factor for me. Plus, Android has about 10,000 apps right now, how much will ZuneHD have when it launches? I'm not bashing it, I'm just curious.

It came out today and I guess its pretty lacking in Apps, but it has a great browser I hear.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
phinious said:
It came out today and I guess its pretty lacking in Apps, but it has a great browser I hear.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that too. The thing about the Archos device though is that it's WVGA resolution, ZuneHD is a little more than half that. For a comfortable browsing session without constant zooming in and out, I'd still go with Archos.

Plus it doesn't hurt that the Android browser is fantastic all on its own.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
giga said:
Resistive screens? Why do they even bother..

For a large screen, resistive is more cost-effective and more durable. Plus there have been many advancements in resistive tech over the years, don't knock it til you try it. :)

Fatalah

Engadget.com said:
And with that, Google has released the SDK for Android 1.6, a.k.a. "Donut." Developers can go nuts over the fine-tunings of it, but the takeaway for the consumer is that it allows Android devices to run on CDMA and in different resolutions and screen sizes -- should help to vary up the options currently available. Additionally, the update will add QuickSearch à la webOS for scavenging through contacts, apps, and the internet in one text field, as we saw back at Google I/O, a text-to-speech API with translation capabilities, and that revamped market we spied earlier this month. Most interesting is an one-off line that from the official developer blog that says, "you can expect to see devices running Android 1.6 as early as October." That October launch applies to quite a number of upcoming Android handsets -- Sprint Hero, Motorola CLIQ, possibly even the InstinctQ and a Verizon-bound Sholes all fit the bill quite nicely. Want to see more of the new update in action? Video of +10 adorableness after the break.

The awesomeness continues to trickle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom