• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 21-27, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
Dash Kappei said:
Hey Test, I think that while you were already writing a reply I edited and added some more (con)text to my post, I think that clears it up a bit, especially the bottom line. :)
Ye, i didnt see your edit before after i had replied to your post, but i have read your edited post now :)

Dash Kappei said:
I also wrote "as YOU're suggesting" while that wasn't the case, so I apologize about that.
No problem at all :) In afterthought i think that it would have been more correct of me to have written "interesting point" instead of "good point", because i dont know how much the PS3 Slim has affected the PSP sales, but i did find it a bit interesting that the PSP sales have gone a bit down since the launch of the PS3 Slim at least :) But the reason for that the PSP sales went a bit down might have been due to some other reason(s) though, it might just have been a coincidence that the PSP hardware sales went a bit down when the PS3 Slim was released.

apotema

What's the difference between Inazuma Fire and Inazuma Blizzard. Is there a clear superior version like in Pokemon HG/SS?

charlequin said:
He's still right.
PSP sales are and will be compromised because trackers will flat out ignore legit sales happening online. How is this positive for PSP?

We should remind everyone that every single PSP ever sold can play DD games, and that SCEJ games are sold online the same day as the retail versions from a while ago, with a little discount on them. There's also catalog titles up already, and it'll get worse with PSP Go when more catalog titles go up and 3rd party new titles get a DD version alongside their retail one.

Even if PSP Go is the biggest bomb in hardware history, PSP software sales will be compromised. They are already.

How the concern is about seeing this being positive for PSP rather than legit PSP sales being ignored, and thus negatively affecting it, is beyond me.

Cygnus X-1

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/01)

[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - SA 108,000 (42%) / BB 9,300 (16%)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire (Level 5) - 93,000 (52%)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Blizzard (Level 5) - 80,000 (49%)

[PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - SE 50,000 (33%) / BE 4,900 (26%)
[PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco Games) - SE 36,000 (42%) / LE 28,000 (83%)
[PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo) - SE 24,000 (46%) / LE 3,200 (56%)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Koei) - 16,000 (23%)
[PSP] Minna no Sukkiri (SCE) - 7,700 (21%)
[PS3] Trinity Universe (Idea Factory) - SE 6,600 (30%) / LE 2,600 (50%)
[PSP] Winning Post 7 2009 (Koei) - 4,900 (40%)
[PSP] Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi Portable+ (Gust) - 4,400 (26%)
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Koei) - 3,800 (25%)
[360] Cross Edge Dash (Compile Heart) - 2,300 (26%)
[PS2] Hiiro no Kakera: Shin Tamayorihime Denshou (Idea Factory) - SE 1,700 (40%) / LE 1,500 (54%)
[PS2] Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2 (Idea Factory) - 1,500 (40%)
[PS2] Touka Gettan: Koufuu no Ryouou (Kadokawa Shoten) - DX 1,400 (44%)
[WII] MySims Agents (Electronic Arts) - 950 (20%)
[PSP] Shadow of Memories (Konami) - 880 (12%)
[PS2] Hiiro no Kakera Aizouban (Idea Factory) - 780 (30%)

SE = Standard Edition / LE = Limited Edition
SA = Standalone / BB = Balance Board / BE = Bundle Edition / DX = DX Pack

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254404390/322

Edit 1: a set of leaked numbers posted earlier.

GT PSP = 49,532
WF Plus = 100,000+
Sukkiri = 7,654
PS3 DW = 16,474
IE2 Fire = 93,219
IE2 Blizzard = 79,682

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254427063/743
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254427063/770

Edit 2: IE2 Fire outsold IE2 Blizzard. Dead Space Wii figures not available.

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254404390/359

Inazuma Eleven 2's first day numbers are really quite imressive. I have quite the impression that the DS's software side is somewhat resurging (also thatnks to DSi) from the recent (small) decline, whereas the PSP is dropping quite sharply. Let's see if GT PSP, which is struggling for a Gran Turismo, will have some effect alongside with the PSP Go.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP sales are and will be compromised because trackers will flat out ignore legit sales happening online. How is this positive for PSP?

We should remind everyone that every single PSP ever sold can play DD games, and that SCEJ games are sold online the same day as the retail versions from a while ago, with a little discount on them. There's also catalog titles up already, and it'll get worse with PSP Go when more catalog titles go up and 3rd party new titles get a DD version alongside their retail one.

Even if PSP Go is the biggest bomb in hardware history, PSP software sales will be compromised. They are already.

How the concern is about seeing this being positive for PSP rather than legit PSP sales being ignored, and thus negatively affecting it, is beyond me.

You say they're ignoring legit sales, but is that the case? Do they have access? If a game does very poorly on PSN, will Sony really give out the numbers?

Galactic Fork said:
You say they're ignoring legit sales, but is that the case? Do they have access? If a game does very poorly on PSN, will Sony really give out the numbers?
There's no way to estimate those sales (as long as you are not ioi). Unless we hear that any of the trackers signs a deal so Sony gives them the exact numbers, they won't be tracked.

Sony has every number and should give it to those they want, which isn't us. They will probably give us a 'Total PSN sales are over x billions yens now' once a year. So exciting :/

I also doubt involved companies will tell anything concrete. They rarely tell anything with DD-only games (or DLC). I just can't see them telling us a breakdown between their retail shipments and digital sales.

Its a brand new sad world for PSP analysis.

gkryhewy

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There's no way to estimate those sales (as long as you are not ioi). Unless we hear that any of the trackers signs a deal so Sony gives them the exact numbers, they won't be tracked.

Sony has every number and should give it to those they want, which isn't us. They will probably give us a 'Total PSN sales are over x billions yens now' once a year. So exciting :/

I also doubt involved companies will tell anything concrete. They rarely tell anything with DD-only games (or DLC). I just can't see them telling us a breakdown between their retail shipments and digital sales.

If DD sales were anything greater than a trickle, a) the trackers would have every incentive to estimate them in some way; and b) Sony would have every incentive to let everyone know, including the trackers.

gkrykewy said:
If DD sales were anything greater than a trickle, a) the trackers would have every incentive to estimate them in some way; and b) Sony would have every incentive to let everyone know, including the trackers.
Trackers can't estimate digital sales. Trackers work with independent intermediaries (retailers) to estimate total sales and shipments from that data. There's no other way to get digital sales than getting Sony tell you, whether straight exact numbers, rounded from those exact numbers or via the 3rd party game publisher who got them from Sony.

Which brings me to your other point. Sony (and Nintendo and Microsoft for that matter) know perfectly how many units are produced of every single title. They don't give trackers or us anything. They just throw quarterly totals in their financial reports. If it were up to them, you can bet your ass we wouldn't see 1% of the data we do see from trackers work with retailers.

Galactic Fork

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Right but that's not the tracker's fault. They are not flat out ignore legit sales happening online, they can't get them. So that's why it's positive for Sony and not negative. Because we won't have digital sales, no matter what they are, people can still point to that and say "Oh, it might not be a bomb." If it was otherwise, Sony would be more forthcoming with the numbers. Sony has the element of mystery on their side.

And I'm not talking about us, I mean articles from journalists or analysts.

Galactic Fork said:
Right but that's not the tracker's fault. They are not flat out ignore legit sales happening online, they can't get them. So that's why it's positive for Sony and not negative. Because we won't have digital sales, no matter what they are, people can still point to that and say "Oh, it might not be a bomb." If it was otherwise, Sony would be more forthcoming with the numbers. Sony has the element of mystery on their side.

And I'm not talking about us, I mean articles from journalists or analysts.
See, this is what I don't agree with. You guys just look at it like spin #14124 on bombas. Its affecting ALL PSP sales, not just those that bomb. What about a title that does great at retail? It doesn't matter what it does on DD? What about the catalog sales? Don't they add to legs, re-releases? What about every PSP Go they sell? Doesn't it matter the games those users buy?

It seems like no one cares about how DD affects PSP and it must solely centered on the specific case of one or two anonymous posters could ever say to try to spin when a game does bad at retail.

I would certainly welcome the effort taken into preemptively crushing possible spin lines be also applied to cover the actual hit DD is going to make on all PSP software.

Takao

Banned
I know most probably don't care, but anyone got numbers for the previous Yu-Gi-Oh! Tagforce PSP games? This iteration being the first 5Ds one has me interested in seeing if that has been seen to increase sales, or decrease them. I'd also like to see if compared to the other 5Ds games thus far (Stardust Accelerator on DS, and Wheelie Breakers on Wii).

Road

Takao said:
I know most probably don't care, but anyone got numbers for the previous Yu-Gi-Oh! Tagforce PSP games? This iteration being the first 5Ds one has me interested in seeing if that has been seen to increase sales, or decrease them. I'd also like to see if compared to the other 5Ds games thus far (Stardust Accelerator on DS, and Wheelie Breakers on Wii).
Rounded known LTDs:

[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force - 48,000
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2 - 121,000
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 3 - 108,000

[DS] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator World Championship 2009 - 83,000
[WII] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers - 8,000

[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 - 66,000

(From: here, here and here)

The newest PSP entry had a weaker first week (52k) than the previous one (64k). The Wii game was never seen again after the first week.

Famitsu numbers.

Takao

Banned
Road said:
Rounded known LTDs:

[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force - 48,000
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2 - 121,000
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 3 - 108,000

[DS] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator World Championship 2009 - 83,000
[WII] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers - 8,000

[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 - 66,000

(From: here, here and here)

The newest PSP entry had a weaker first week (52k) than the previous one (64k). The Wii game was never seen again after the first week.

Famitsu numbers.

Thanks.

Seems all the 5Ds games have been taking a beating in Japan (especially Wheelie Breakers, yikes). Probably the same for most of the other GX based ones too. I guess they must do well internationally, that or Konami just doesn't care if it tanks since they release them in yearly installments.

I kind of expected the DS one to be a bit bigger. It's the ones Konami use in their Yu-Gi-Oh! video game tournaments (Yes, this exists), not to mention the install base differences. Wonder if they have any video games planned for the release of that 10th Anniversary Movie out next year.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It seems like no one cares about how DD affects PSP

No, plenty of people care, it's just that we also know that a) there's at least a decent chance the PSN sales are close to insignificant and more importantly b) we're never ever going to find out so there's not much point wringing our hands over it.

charlequin said:
No, plenty of people care, it's just that we also know that a) there's at least a decent chance the PSN sales are close to insignificant and more importantly b) we're never ever going to find out so there's not much point wringing our hands over it.
I wonder where's that plenty of people. So far I only see plenty of people wringing their hands over anyone trying to spin a bomba with it.

Dalthien

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder where's that plenty of people.
Um... all of us?

I think pretty much the entirety of those of us in the MC threads would love to see the DD sales data. But we don't see it. So it makes it pretty much impossible to have an intelligent conversation about DD sales when we don't have any data to work with.

I'm not sure what point you are ultimately trying to make. It sounds like you want to be able to continue to shout 'Bomba' for PS3, Wii, DS, etc., but now we should all be forbidden from claiming 'bomba' on PSP games because 'OMG, the DD sales might have been HUGE!'

In that case, we might as well just stop discussing PSP software sales altogether - at least until we actually start receiving DD data on a regular basis (which may never happen). Is that what you are advocating?

cvxfreak

I vote we take the percentage of PSPgo sales to overall PSP hardware sales, and then add that percentage to a game's LTD to estimate sales that include digital downloads.

I'm joking.

AniHawk said:
Wii Fit Plus fucking bombed.
Bluh.

That was decided pages ago.

AniHawk said:
2012 on the day after the Mayan calendar ends to usher in a new era of humanity.
Ahhh yes.

I remember that year well from my travels through time.

The Indian government sends up a rocket. It orbits the planet for a year. On December 21, 2012 a fairly good sized asteroid impacts it. The asteroid and it's contents explode. A good portion of the planet saw it, a blue glow cascaded across the world.

It was days before the lights were back on in Philadelphia. Much longer for more remote regions. Stories were all over. All of humanities intelligence had quadrupled. The masses were pissed. Governments were overthrown in a matter of days. Humanity had a new rule of law.

It was so rapid, and unified. All of humanity had become interwoven with one another. Their minds inextricably linked.

The years that passed could only be called human utopia. We mastered the very essence of the universe. With little more then thought our entire society could traverse the universe. Aging was no longer an issue. We had moved beyond such petty concepts of money, power, and race. We became one mind. Too bad I could only stay there for a few years.

Dalthien said:
I'm not sure what point you are ultimately trying to make. It sounds like you want to be able to continue to shout 'Bomba' for PS3, Wii, DS, etc., but now we should all be forbidden from claiming 'bomba' on PSP games because 'OMG, the DD sales might have been HUGE!'

In that case, we might as well just stop discussing PSP software sales altogether - at least until we actually start receiving DD data on a regular basis (which may never happen). Is that what you are advocating?
No, I actually said otherwise. Anyone using DD as a major hit to a specific title is spinning. Minna no Sukkiri has bombed, sure there is a DD version, but its never going to excuse its performance at retail.

What I said is that we shouldn't only note this while ignoring that we are losing our complete view on PSP software (overall, not specific) unlike on the other systems (I think only 360 has catalog titles for download, right?). PSP will have a bigger catalog online, new games debuting on both systems, and a specific version of the console that can only play games that we can't track (and every other PSP console able to do the same), yet the same games we will have its retail performance.

And well, I'm no one to forbid nothing, I'm just expressing my opinion that while debunking any stupid use of the DD market as a spin, we shouldn't disregard its existence and how it hurts (today, probably totally negligible, in the future, who knows) our previously complete view on PSP software sales.

cvxfreak said:
I vote we take the percentage of PSPgo sales to overall PSP hardware sales, and then add that percentage to a game's LTD to estimate sales that include digital downloads.

I'm joking.
Too late, ioi took your method and claimed it as his own.

Not really sure if this will forever be a joke lol
Maybe its more of a Square2005 method though!

apujanata

cvxfreak said:

I'm joking.

Me thinks you are lowballing PSP Go influence. You should just assume that each DD game will sell to 10% of PSP Go owner, and add that # (10% of PSP Go H/W LTD) to each retail game sales # to arrive at DD game sales #.

Go Sony Go PSP Go.

I'm am also joking, and am pulling the 10% # out of my ass.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Layton 1 sold 120K FW, Layton 2 308K, and Layton 3 361K, and those sequels didn't have duel versions.

More importantly, Inazume Eleven 1 was a stupidly slow burning game. It cratered on launch and then kept truckin' for a long time to eventually build up seriously respectable numbers. It was a given that the game built a certain cache over time, and the sequel would more immediately capitalize on that.

cvxfreak

Gathering from my observations over the past few days since the price drop, I think Wii, PSP and PS3 will all have fairly close hardware sales, but it's very obvious that the Wii's price drop has not stopped people from buying a PS3 and the PSP has not affected DS sales. Wii Fit Plus is going to sell very well in the long run, and so will Wii Sports Resort (on top of what they've sold up to now).

I think Nintendo would do well to release a Black Wii Sports Resort SKU. The Black Wii seems to be the more popular of the two colors at the moment. Yet, I saw this Japanese couple today pondering over whether to get WSR or not because of the color mismatch that would occur if they buy it with their Black Wii. They still got it anyway, but it was interesting seeing their reaction for a few minutes. The same situation goes for Mario Kart Wii and possibly the Wii Zapper.

The Black Motion+ has been out in Japan for a few weeks, btw, though it seemed to be a quiet release.

Galactic Fork

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
See, this is what I don't agree with. You guys just look at it like spin #14124 on bombas. Its affecting ALL PSP sales, not just those that bomb. What about a title that does great at retail? It doesn't matter what it does on DD? What about the catalog sales? Don't they add to legs, re-releases? What about every PSP Go they sell? Doesn't it matter the games those users buy?

It seems like no one cares about how DD affects PSP and it must solely centered on the specific case of one or two anonymous posters could ever say to try to spin when a game does bad at retail.

I would certainly welcome the effort taken into preemptively crushing possible spin lines be also applied to cover the actual hit DD is going to make on all PSP software.

I do care about how it affects PSP sales data. It will make them impossible to really talk about. Which sucks for us and other enthusiasts as well as analysts, but I still think that is in Sony's favor, rather than against them. Allow me to retract my statement that we won't know the DD numbers no matter what, because I would bet if DD sales for a game are excellent, they will announce it from the rooftops.

Information is power and Sony now has info that nobody else really has. If nintendo somehow allows DD of full DS games on the DSi, you know they'll do the same thing.

Honestly I personally can't even imagine how significant DD sales are, but I don't think it's a lot yet, and we can't even get an idea until we see how the PSP go will sell, and then a report on returns when customers discover they can't play the PSP games they bought off the shelf. (that last part was a joke)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder where's that plenty of people. So far I only see plenty of people wringing their hands over anyone trying to spin a bomba with it.

I care about both, but Sony isn't here in the thread listening to me ask them to pretty-please release their PSN sales figures, whereas the people who are (inevitably) going to use "but it probably sold great on DD!" as a future excuse are.

(I complain much more about DD obfuscating sales numbers in threads about DD itself, like that recent NPD thread.)

jcm

charlequin said:
No, plenty of people care, it's just that we also know that a) there's at least a decent chance the PSN sales are close to insignificant and more importantly

How do we know this?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
BishopLamont said:
It's Japan, even if you include all DD platforms the numbers will most likely still be insignificant.
Doesn't Japan have relatively more XBL and PSN subscribers than anywhere else in the world, sold more in Idolm@ster DLC than other regions have sold on XBL in total relative to memebers, etc?

duckroll

Sage00 said:
Doesn't Japan have relatively more XBL and PSN subscribers than anywhere else in the world, sold more in Idolm@ster DLC than other regions have total relative to memebers, etc?

I see you're using "relative" terms because if you were to use absolute numbers, it would reveal that they are basically.... insignificant in the grand scheme of things? The total userbase of the 360 in Japan isn't even a million, so we're looking at a joke here.

Idolmaster is a case of a tiny group of people buying a ton of DLC. I don't see how that's really relevant to anything unless you believe that a tiny portion of people who own PSPs are buying GT Portable over PSN multiple times just for kicks?

jcm said:
How do we know this?

We're talking about Japan, where most people don't have PCs or broadband connections at home and instead do almost all their online communication via cellphones.

We've also yet to see anything, ever, have its PSN sales touted in a press release or announcement of its performance.

duckroll

Let's put it this way guys. If GT Portable has SIGNIFICANT sales via PSN in any region of the world, you can bet your ass that Sony will issue a Press Release asap. I would expect that if they sell 100k of the game on PSN, they'll be shouting about it at the top of the world. If we hear nothing about DD sales over PSN, it is because there's nothing worth mentioning that is of benefit to Sony. I think that's a very logical way of looking at it, don't you guys agree?

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Let's put it this way guys. If GT Portable has SIGNIFICANT sales via PSN in any region of the world, you can bet your ass that Sony will issue a Press Release asap. I would expect that if they sell 100k of the game on PSN, they'll be shouting about it at the top of the world. If we hear nothing about DD sales over PSN, it is because there's nothing worth mentioning that is of benefit to Sony. I think that's a very logical way of looking at it, don't you guys agree?
Yes, but what if they word it cleverly, like "there are now 500,000 registered players of GT PSP" or something. Does it have DLC? Maybe they could factor that in too.

jcm

If DD is so insignificant in Japan, then we should expect the Go to be a flop there, right? Do we know if it will be tracked separately?

I'm not trying to claim DD is significant, just wondering why others believe it isn't. It seems odd to me that cell phone games sold digitally do so well there, yet few are willing to buy PSP games the same way. I concede I have no first hand knowledge, though, so I'm willing to defer to those who do.

Also, it's strange that Japan is (I think) the only market who has the application allowing ad-hoc multi through the PS3. I'd have expected that to show up first in markets use more home broadband. That may well be due to the popularity of ad-hoc multi games in Japan, though.

charlequin said:
We're talking about Japan, where most people don't have PCs or broadband connections at home and instead do almost all their online communication via cellphones.

At least according to this study, Japan's broadband penetration is the same as the US.

jcm said:
If DD is so insignificant in Japan, then we should expect the Go to be a flop there, right? Do we know if it will be tracked separately?

I'm not trying to claim DD is significant, just wondering why others believe it isn't. It seems odd to me that cell phone games sold digitally do so well there, yet few are willing to buy PSP games the same way. I concede I have no first hand knowledge, though, so I'm willing to defer to those who do.

Also, it's strange that Japan is (I think) the only market who has the application allowing ad-hoc multi through the PS3. I'd have expected that to show up first in markets use more home broadband. That may well be due to the popularity of ad-hoc multi games in Japan, though.

Mobile phone games do not require the internet for download.

jcm

Dragona Akehi said:
Mobile phone games do not require the internet for download.

So it's your estimation that lack of internet access is the problem, not resistance to purchasing digital games? My first guess would have been resistance to not being able to resell games, as I understand Japan has a healthy used market.

Either way, it'd be great to have some real data. NPD is going to track dd games in the US, I think. Maybe someday Famitsu or MC will be able to do the same.

Top Bottom