• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #175 - "The Gift"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "The Gift"

Word Limit: 2100

Submission Deadline: Friday, Sept 25th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, Sept 26th, and goes until Monday, Sept 28th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Specificity in Verbs

Remember how we did "Specificity in Nouns" a while back? As with nouns, choosing specific verbs over generic ones can strengthen and clarify your writing. Do an edit pass of your story where you consider replacing vague, generic verbs with specific ones. Does Nick really just walk into the office? Maybe he shuffles in. Maybe he strides in. Maybe he slinks in. Maybe he struts in. These all carry different meanings and different flavors, so of course you'll want to be deliberate in your selection. But it's an opportunity to make your verbs do additional work.

As with generic nouns, sometimes generic verbs are the appropriate choice. Maybe you just want to quickly convey that Nick is in the office now, without calling attention to how he gets there. That's fine! The aim of this secondary is that you make deliberate choices about your verbs, not that you turn every action into something overwrought and flowery. Strike a balance! ("Said" is a great example of where you should just stick with the generic verb, because you almost never want to pull attention away from the dialogue.)

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Nezumi

I think I'll use this topic to finally introduce a set of characters that have been floating around my head for a few weeks now. The secondary is something I already try to do as often as possible.

Ashes

Banned
Remember how we did "Specificity in Nouns" a while back? As with nouns, choosing specific verbs over generic ones can strengthen and clarify your writing. Do an edit pass of your story where you consider replacing vague, generic verbs with specific ones. Does Nick really just walk into the office? Maybe he shuffles in. Maybe he strides in. Maybe he slinks in. Maybe he struts in. These all carry different meanings and different flavors, so of course you'll want to be deliberate in your selection. But it's an opportunity to make your verbs do additional work.

As with generic nouns, sometimes generic verbs are the appropriate choice. Maybe you just want to quickly convey that Nick is in the office now, without calling attention to how he gets there. That's fine! The aim of this secondary is that you make deliberate choices about your verbs, not that you turn every action into something overwrought and flowery. Strike a balance! ("Said" is a great example of where you should just stick with the generic verb, because you almost never want to pull attention away from the dialogue.)

The danger here, as you say, is verbiage. And producing overwritten flowery gobbledegook. Some people like having their time wasted though.

After reading a couple of stories last week, I was like, get to the freaking bloody fucking point.

Beautiful language can be very cool though.

Heh. Thanks, folks. Good thing Ashes suggested I do this one. ;)

I will have a new thread up shortly. Just need to write up a quick secondary.

This guys knows what I'm talking 'bout.

Neeener

Neo Member
It's interesting, because the right verbs really can tighten up the work too. If you can convey a feeling or intent with one word that you would otherwise have to use more words to convey, it's pretty powerful.

Neeener

Neo Member
Actually Cyan is particularly "gifted" ;) with verbs. He always conveys so much character and intent by simple, effective verb choices.

Perhaps he's trying to hobble us all and go for a two win streak

Cyan

Banned
Perhaps he's trying to hobble us all and go for a two win streak

Shhhhhh.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so no hangout for me. I expect one of the regulars will step up and do the reminder post in here and the timing. Nezumi? ;)

Nezumi

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so no hangout for me. I expect one of the regulars will step up and do the reminder post in here and the timing. Nezumi? ;)

No problem, I'll take care of it!

Nezumi

& thus it was that the queen of the cats took over gafdom via the folly of the absent red wizard.

giphy.gif

Nezumi

Reminder!

The biweekly hangout will start in a little less than 2 hours (2pm PST). Over the course of two hours we'll alternate periods of chatting (10 minutes) and writing (30 minutes).

Whether you want an incentive to get some writting done or are just in the mood for a little chitchat with some fellow gafers, feel free to drop by!

A webcam or microfon is not required though the latter might make communication a little easier ;)

Nezumi

No one coming?

Edit: If no one shows up until 2:30 pm (PST) I'm gonna go to bed, sorry if anyone planned on dropping by later...

Cyan

Banned
Quiet thread, huh? Victory might be gifted to whoever submits!

...nah. I'm still out of town, but I'll get something in!

P.S. oh hey, happy birthday, Tangent! I think it was... yesterday?

Mike M

Nick N
Ironically, I made the hangout this weekend.

It was mostly just me and Nezumi talking shit about you.

Yes, that's right. You reading this right now. So much shit was talked.

The first of these I post in, and I'm not going to finish on time. =[ Too much stuff came up, and I'm not good enough yet at getting myself to write.

I'll be back for the next challenge.

theJohann

A quick question to all: are you supposed to read all of the entries before voting? Do many of you do this, in practice?

Edit: I see that you are meant to, in the rules. It seems quite tiring to have to read so many stories!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A quick question to all: are you supposed to read all of the entries before voting? Do many of you do this, in practice?

Edit: I see that you are meant to, in the rules. It seems quite tiring to have to read so many stories!

i for one just vote for the stories that have the least amount of votes to increase my chances of winning.

Ashes

Banned

There's nothing to stop people being a dick on the internet. So... I say... go right ahead. Just don't think you'll ever be getting any votes from me.

Also: best not to start voting before the list of entries has been compiled. Or when Mike's in charge. When he's in charge. It's best practise to not read his story. and just vote for him three times - once for him, and twice more for his alts.

theJohann

Just to clarify, I do not intend to submit or vote in this round. I would definitely like to participate in the future, of course.

I was asking because I intend to host a similar writing game, and wanted to clarify the protocol. Thank you both.

Nezumi

I have trouble accessing gaf on my home computer and don't have dripbox on my phone. I'll post my story as soon as I fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom