• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I checked out the requirements for the KH2 platinum. Yeahhhhhh no thanks.

I really hope to God that KH3D will be easier to plat. I hate difficulty trophies.

Or at least, KH 0.2 will be an easy plat.

I really, really doubt 0.2 is going to have a platinum trophy, considering it's supposed to be a short affair.

If difficulty trophies turn you off, you might as well abandon hope for KH3D too, because there's no way in hell that isn't going to have a Critical Mode trophy.

Well I've put off playing 2.5 HD long enough, I guess. I was really hoping for an announcement of the collection coming to PS4, but with them announcing 2.8, I can't see them releasing 1.5/2.5 on PS4 anytime soon, right? If at all... Not sure why they wouldn't, but eh... I wish I could use the Dualshock 4 on KH2, but I heard it doesn't work correctly or something.

sasuke_91

Well I've put off playing 2.5 HD long enough, I guess. I was really hoping for an announcement of the collection coming to PS4, but with them announcing 2.8, I can't see them releasing 1.5/2.5 on PS4 anytime soon, right? If at all... Not sure why they wouldn't, but eh... I wish I could use the Dualshock 4 on KH2, but I heard it doesn't work correctly or something.
You can't run diagonally for some reason, you can only walk. Running forward, back, left and right works normally. BbS works perfectly normal with a DS4, only KH2 has some issues.

You can't run diagonally for some reason, you can only walk. Running forward, back, left and right works normally. BbS works perfectly normal with a DS4, only KH2 has some issues.

Ah, thanks for the info. That's so weird about BBS working but KH2 not. I'll see how it feels when I start it later today.

Oh god, I forgot just how bad Aerith's voice is in Kingdom Hearts II, lol. I don't know how they heard it and said "yeah, that's fine".

EDIT: Sorry for the double post... :(

Banzai

Man I'm reaaaaally in the mood for some Kingdom Hearts goodness but I'm not buying the collections unless they're rereleased on PS4. Don't have my PS2 and the games at my place either. hnnnggg.

Tsunamo

What I wouldn't give for Mandy Moore back as Aerith in KH3.

I should get around to platinuming Birth By Sleep Final Mix before Falk finishes his 32k piece puzzle 2.8 comes out

I had forgotten how slow Sora and co are at picking up on plot developments... Like even insanely obvious stuff like in the Timeless River "world", they had trouble telling the two Petes apart even though they look nothing alike to me, lol.

Yeah, they are... Frustratingly slow sometimes

KH3 is going to disappoint me so hard

I can imagine the scene taking shape now where Mickey and Aqua spend 20 minutes explaining to Sora that Ventus isn't Roxas and him still not understanding.
To be fair, that might stump a few fans who didn't play BBS, too lol

Weiss

Banned
So after my Critical playthrough of KH2 (wherein I tried to fight Lingering Will and the Data Org. and I was snapped in half), I'm considering replaying BBS. Is Critical good in this one or should I just stick to Standard/Proud?

So after my Critical playthrough of KH2 (wherein I tried to fight Lingering Will and the Data Org. and I was snapped in half), I'm considering replaying BBS. Is Critical good in this one or should I just stick to Standard/Proud?

Proud. Critical is not very well balanced in BBS tho they did adjust it a little bit in the HD version. In the OG PSP version without grinding some enemies would become Uncharted 3 level of bullet sponges, especially a few bosses. The only big difference between Proud and Critical is that you deal half damage thus making it mostly just tedious unlike KH2 critical where you actually get abilities from the start that help you to deal more damage.

Personally I do play BBS always on Critical cause I'm kind of an idiot.

sasuke_91

Proud. Critical is not very well balanced in BBS tho they did adjust it a little bit in the HD version. In the OG PSP version without grinding some enemies would become Uncharted 3 level of bullet sponges, especially a few bosses. The only big difference between Proud and Critical is that you deal half damage thus making it mostly just tedious unlike KH2 critical where you actually get abilities from the start that help you to deal more damage.

I didn't grind a lot in BbS (KH 2.5). I didn't even have the crucial abilities until I got to Hercules World (that's where it got harder). I'd definitely go with Critical, but maybe I'm just an idiot too :D

The thing with Uncharted 3 is that they made Headshot infintely easier if I remember correctly. A lot easier than in UC2 or TLOU. Even those guys in huge armor could be shot in the head easily with a 9mm Pistol. That's how I got through the game on Hard :p

Weiss

Banned

I see.

I want to do the Secret Episode, but I hear it's super tedious to unlock it outside of Critical. So it's all just "take more damage, have to hit enemies more" rather than what KH2 did?

I didn't grind a lot in BbS. I didn't even have the crucial abilities until I got to Hercules World (that's where it got harder). I'd definitely go with Critical, but maybe I'm just an idiot too :D

The thing with Uncharted 3 is that they made Headshot infintely easier if I remember correctly. Even those guys in huge armor could be shot in the head easily with a 9mm Pistol. That's how I got through the game on Hard :p

It's been a long time since I played UC3 but personally I don't remember having a huge problem with it. I just think it's funny that it kinda has that stereotype over here.

In BBS the biggest offender I remember is Vanitas on Aquas campaing. You literally almost cannot sometimes see his health bar deplete if you use normal attacks and most spells if you haven't grinded levels (and personally I never grind in RPGs unless I totally hit a wall).

Weiss

Banned
It's easy to unlock on Proud. It's tedious on Standard.

Coo.

So if that's the case, I'll just do a Proud run. I also saw that Critical gave you more Command Deck slots, where I thought it was disappointing how you have to wait most of the game before being able to pack a lot of skills, but if Critical is that much more of a grind, I think I'll stick to Proud.

Coo.

So if that's the case, I'll just do a Proud run. I also saw that Critical gave you more Command Deck slots, where I thought it was disappointing how you have to wait most of the game before being able to pack a lot of skills, but if Critical is that much more of a grind, I think I'll stick to Proud.

You unlock those ''extra'' deck slots relatively fast anyhoo.

But I mean, if you want to play on critical then you definately should. I just don't think it's a very good difficulty in BBS from a game design standpoint unlike in KH2FM.

That said DDD critical is probably the most unfun garbage there is. I do think the HD version with a better camera could do wonders.

Weiss

Banned
You unlock those ''extra'' deck slots relatively fast anyhoo.

But I mean, if you want to play on critical then you definately should. I just don't think it's a very good difficulty in BBS from a game design standpoint unlike in KH2FM.

That said DDD critical is probably the most unfun garbage there is. I do think the HD version with a better camera could do wonders.

I was considering doing a replay of 3D too, but I figure I'll just wait for the HD remake.

I wonder if they'll add anything cool to it, or fix a lot of the design problems.

Like say, fixing Dream Eater grinding, or adding in a bonus boss fight against Joshua.

Critical Mode in Birth by Sleep HD also has a crutch in the form of EXP Zero, where having it activated against bosses activates some hidden modifiers that ensure your character has auto Second Chance & Once More even if you don't have those abilities proper, and drastically lowers boss defense so that you can actually deal decent damage. Considering bosses in BBS don't give out EXP, you can just turn the ability on for any boss fight giving you trouble, and turn it off right after, though that's the easy way out of things. Though in all fairness, this was done in the interest of making level 1 runs sort of viable now.

I fought Vanitas' Lingering Will with Aqua at level 30 with EXP Zero on and a few mine spells. Motherfucker went down in literally 15 seconds.

or adding in a bonus boss fight against Joshua.

That would be fantastic, actually.

zeemumu

I can imagine the scene taking shape now where Mickey and Aqua spend 20 minutes explaining to Sora that Ventus isn't Roxas and him still not understanding.
To be fair, that might stump a few fans who didn't play BBS, too lol

One who knows nothing can understand NOTHING.

Weiss

Banned
So I started replaying BBS and it got me thinking: Are Terra, Ventus and Aqua the only apprentices in the Land of Departure? Are there more Keyblade wielders out there at all before the events of KH1?

Or is this just more of the series never having NPCs?

Weiss

Banned
I suppose that makes sense. BBS is basically KH Star Wars anyway.

lol Terra you goob. He's in the Enchanted Dominion for five minutes and he already ruins everything.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty clever that BBS mostly focuses on older Disney films like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, on top of letting us see Radiant Garden and Hercules as a kid.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty clever that BBS mostly focuses on older Disney films like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, on top of letting us see Radiant Garden and Hercules as a kid.

Yeah, Birth by Sleep has a really neat thematic consistency going on in those regards. Whether it's using older Disney films (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty), showing past versions of established worlds in the series (Neverland, Deep Space, Radiant Garden, Olympus Coliseum), and hell, it even extends to the obligatory Square-Enix cameo since Zack hails from a FFVII prequel. IIRC, the fact that BBS was a prequel influenced the above design decisions.

Makes sense that the other (unfortunately cut) FF cameo was going to be Laguna, a character that plays a big part in events in the past in FFVIII.

Psxphile

That being said, I wanted to see how and when King Triton found out about "Keybearers" but I guess no one really wants to revisit Atlantica again.

Tsunamo

Good save. I'm on track for 2 months.
Falk pls you make it sound like I can't do it in 2 months
Procrastinating it for months is a whole other story.

Critical Mode in Birth by Sleep HD also has a crutch in the form of EXP Zero, where having it activated against bosses activates some hidden modifiers that ensure your character has auto Second Chance & Once More even if you don't have those abilities proper, and drastically lowers boss defense so that you can actually deal decent damage. Considering bosses in BBS don't give out EXP, you can just turn the ability on for any boss fight giving you trouble, and turn it off right after, though that's the easy way out of things. Though in all fairness, this was done in the interest of making level 1 runs sort of viable now.

I fought Vanitas' Lingering Will with Aqua at level 30 with EXP Zero on and a few mine spells. Motherfucker went down in literally 15 seconds.
I knew it got rebalanced but I didn't know about enabling it while you're a higher level for boss nerfs (though I did ponder if something like that might work myself) Will have to try it myself to save a bit of tediousness trying to defeat some of the secret bosses/mirage arena ones with Terra/Ven.
THEY GIVE UP THEIR RIGHT TO BE CALLED FANS BY NOT PLAYING BBS

RIP FAKE-FANS
The only true Kingdom Hearts fan are those who have waited 9+ years for a new Kingdom Hearts game after Kingdom Hearts 2. If it isn't numbered, it's not relevant to the story or not worth playing.

If Birth By Sleep was called Kingdom Hearts 0 (nomura said it was all that basically that but in name, until Chi/Unchained kicked it off that in the number scale anyway) I wonder if those folks that hadn't played a Kingdom Hearts game since 2 would've treated it differently because it was numbered.
where the fuck is unchained
Poor Blood Diamonds :(

I knew it got rebalanced but I didn't know about enabling it while you're a higher level for boss nerfs (though I did ponder if something like that might work myself) Will have to try it myself to save a bit of tediousness trying to defeat some of the secret bosses/mirage arena ones with Terra/Ven.

Yeah, they pretty much tweaked it to work the way it does in KH1 HD. I imagine they'll probably do the same with Dream Drop Distance HD, too.

It definitely saves on level grinding, though. I just beat Mysterious Figure with Aqua at level 31 with it turned on. That's damn near impossible on Critical otherwise.

Top Bottom