• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

zeemumu

I have a theory that Nomura accidentally split the development team in half while experimenting with new systems for KH III. One team was led by Tetsuya, Seeker of Darkness, and sought to establish a direct line to Kingdom Hearts III using Chi to expand the story and fill in the missing pieces, while the other team, lead by Rumanox, sought to make their own connections by sprinkling bits and pieces of possible Kingdom Hearts III connections in HD Remixes, and if we buy both Chi and 2.8, They'll reform into the KH III development team.

But it was never really Nomura. It was this guy taking Nomura's name after stealing a random dude's body.

tumblr_inline_nq1tt6sT4f1rzejzy_500.png

The real Nomura condemned any new systems in KH III that didn't involve Lightning and they overthrew him. So he secretly worked with Disney to put KH stuff in Disney Infinity 3.0 to eventually put Lightning into the Disney canon, making her part of one of the most iconic brands of all time and completing her popularity quest.

Sölf

I have a theory that Nomura accidentally split the development team in half while experimenting with new systems for KH III. One team was led by Tetsuya, Seeker of Darkness, and sought to establish a direct line to Kingdom Hearts III using Chi to expand the story and fill in the missing pieces, while the other team, lead by Rumanox, sought to make their own connections by sprinkling bits and pieces of possible Kingdom Hearts III connections in HD Remixes, and if we buy both Chi and 2.8, They'll reform into the KH III development team.

But it was never really Nomura. It was this guy taking Nomura's name after stealing a random dude's body.

The real Nomura condemned any new systems in KH III that didn't involve Lightning and they overthrew him. So he secretly worked with Disney to put KH stuff in Disney Infinity 3.0 to eventually put Lightning into the Disney canon, making her part of one of the most iconic brands of all time and completing her popularity quest.

Ha! I knew it!

Tsunamo

I wont post the scans (for obvious reasons), but KHInsider has a translation of the BBS 0.2 tidbit in there and

KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage –

The most interesting thing is a very brief mention of BBS 0.2's story. It says it happens sometime along Aqua's loitering around in the Realm of Darkness, but it is specifically hiding where in the 10 year gap between BBS and KH1 this occurs.

While wandering around the Realm of Darkness, Aqua pursues the events that unfold before her. Within this lies never before seen experiences and encounters.
So I guess they're just doing Aquas part of BBSv2 and going up to KH1 in terms of timeline. (minus working in KH3 and/or blankpoints) If they go for the other stuff like Kairi at the mansion it's going to be interesting how they work that in plotwise. I guess flashback to the present time and what's happening there as Mickey tells more of Aquas story.

Even if it's just a couple of hours I think i'll enjoy it, the Secret Episode ended up taking me about a hour and had a suprising amount of area to explore, so going by that it might end up having a decent amount of padding. That and i'm just so excited to get a taste of the KH3 engine, and in the darkrealm of all locations. That and this is the first taste of a new (non iOS/browser) Kingdom Hearts since funnily enough the Secret Episode in BBS Final Mix
all i ever wanted was the english version of unchained
Fear not Young blade Blood Diamonds your time shall come. It got rated by the Aus Classification Board so it can't be too far off

Golnei

Does Australia speak English?

It's relatively widespread as a second language, but there's still a considerable section of the population who can only speak Australian, especially the older generations. Most media just uses English audio and Australian subtitles, so an English translation could be inferred from that.

Lnds500

Tsunamo

I'll just continue to speak in my Aussie gibberish, enjoying my brekkie with a biccy at maccas surfing the net on my lappy, maybe watch a bit of footy after while you all have no idea what i'm talking about.
We abbreviate everything

Falk

that puzzling face

Falk

that puzzling face
Type-0 online tho

so Falk...when can we know if DDD is getting a remastered soundtrack?

or does it not need one?

Oh come now, you know I can't answer that. If I knew and the answer was 'yes', I can't say 'yes', and if I knew and the answer was 'no', I can't say 'no'.

I have to conclude you're only asking to make me feel bad.

iosefe

Oh come now, you know I can't answer that. If I knew and the answer was 'yes', I can't say 'yes', and if I knew and the answer was 'no', I can't say 'no'.

I have to conclude you're only asking to make me feel bad.

i'm sorry. :(

but legitimate discussion. how was the audio quality on the original game? i never bothered to compare it. first opinion is that a remastered soundtrack is unnecessary

Falk

that puzzling face
One, it's streaming as opposed to a sequencer format, and two, music production tech and methodologies came a long way between 2004 and 2011.

On the other hand, quality isn't a black and white thing, and there's always stuff you can do better with more budget, more time, etc. In my personal opinion, DDD would be at the 50-50 mark on the diminishing returns scale, but I'm a perfectionist with clinically documented OCD. The audio quality of the game itself, coming out of the 3DS audio jack (rather than the source files) is pretty... crappy, but it's a 3DS game. Not to knock on the platform but it's not particularly surprising or out of the ordinary. Outside of the game (and probably outside the scope of the question) the standalone soundtrack release itself is heads and shoulders better engineered and mastered than all previous Kingdom Hearts soundtrack releases.

That's all I can say. Sorry for being vague and non-conclusive lol.

Tsunamo

Falk banned again?
image.php

0.2 taking place right after the Secret Episode rather than rehashing it a bit is great. I was hoping for a little longer than one world (then again though I keep on thinking in terms of Birth By Sleep length, but I guess looking at other KH worlds they feel more longer considering they're not split into three scenerios, give me about 4 hours and i'll be pretty happy with the length), but the Secret Episode and that flowing into one longer/coherent episode will feel like it'll lengthen it a bit to me. (especially on later runs of KH games) If it's set straight after though I wonder if they'll include Castle of Dreams or not, I guess with it being about the length of a KH world they probably wouldn't focus on it and more the darkrealm itself.

zeemumu

I still need to play the secret episode of BBS. I'm aware of what happens but I never had the final mix so I never got to play it. I need to hurry up in 2.5

iosefe

Falk was on the verge of saying some confidential this morning. Probably for the best.

If you're reading this, I'm sorry for all the questioning

Uh

KH 0.2? What in the fuck is that? A prologue to KH3, something like GZ to TPP?

Fuck your weird ass naming conventions, SE

It's supposed to bridge the gap/explain what happened to Aqua since we last saw her, BBS to 3.0 , which is where the 0.2 comes from...
Why are people so angry over the naming,it takes literally 2 seconds to google it and see what it is. It's the size of 1 KH World, so 1-2 hours. At least it's not being sold by itself like GZ was.

––So after KH1.5 and KH2.5, then came 2.8. I was surprised. Please tell us the origin of the title that contains 2.8.

Nomura: It contains a bit of meaning. First, we considered the types of games that are being included such as KH3D and with the previous work being 2.5… it would be positioned as “2.6” corresponding to the works. And there’s χ, Unchained χ, and χ Back Cover, being part of the Chi series, I believe would be called the “0” with Sora’s absence. In KHBBS it’s “0.1” and this time KH0.2BBS includes the title “0.2”. So, “2.6”+”0”+”0.2” comes out as a number that turns into “2.8”.

EDIT- Didn't know this wasn't posted already,Famitsu Nomura Interview :
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomur...om-Hearts-HD-2-8-0-1-in-Kingdom-Hearts-3-6070
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-Interview-with-Nomura-Kingdom-Hearts-2-8-to-use-KH3-tech-6067

iosefe

Uh

KH 0.2? What in the fuck is that? A prologue to KH3, something like GZ to TPP?

Fuck your weird ass naming conventions, SE

Kingdom Hearts 0 = χ
Kingdom Hearts 0.1 = birth by sleep
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 = birth by sleep fragmentary passage
Kingdom Hearts 2.6 = Dream Drop Distance

so this collection is 2.6 +0+0.2

The numbers merely represent a positon in timeline, versus a n actual release.

aravuus

Thankees

Whether or not you think the name is logical, it's stupid as heck. Has nothing to do with googling or oogling or swoogling or whatever it is you youth do nowadays.

Dereck

I want you guys to weigh in on this.

I'm gonna take it back to Chain of Memories.

This was back when I didn't mind game titles not named Kingdom Hearts and then "one number" after it, because Chain of Memories is very important, we all know this.

What is your guys opinions on the constant non "sequel but very important prelude, prequel" whatever you wanna call it games, whether BBS, or 358/2 Days, or re:coded, Dream Drop, secret endings, Final Mixes, all of that shit. I'm not talking about the quality of the games, I'm talking about the constant "avoiding the Kindgom Hearts 3" in the room thing for almost 10 years thing.

Don't care? Liked it? Doesn't matter because the games were good?

Opinion, KH GAF?

iosefe

it was kinda funny seeing what they could come up with before finally going, "okay, i guess we finally need to do this"

i wonder what KH3 would be without all of that, and if i instead cycled right into 3? Would KH DDD been considered 3? and what we see as 3 would be 4.

and where would BbS fit into that? KH0: The Prequel? or would it be a story told by mickey or someone else the same way 0.2 apparently might be

This was back when I didn't mind game titles not named Kingdom Hearts and then "one number" after it, because Chain of Memories is very important, we all know this.

What is your guys opinions on the constant non "sequel but very important prelude, prequel" whatever you wanna call it games, whether BBS, or 358/2 Days, or re:coded, Dream Drop, secret endings, Final Mixes, all of that shit. I'm not talking about the quality of the games, I'm talking about the constant "avoiding the Kindgom Hearts 3" in the room thing for almost 10 years thing.

Opinion, KH GAF?

I don't mind them. They ain't the main reason KH3 took forever to happen really. Then again I have absolutely no problem with handheld games and I'm a known PSPhile.

RK128

I don't know if this is off topic, but after hearing about the troubled development behind the Emperors New Groove, I am very interested in seeing that world in a future KH's game.

For those not aware, the film was originally supposed to be similar in tone to something like the Lion King or Beauty & The Beast; a film with comedic elements here and there, but having a deeper story to tell. It was a twist on the Prince and the Pauper story, where the Kusco character would swap places with a commoner who looked like him, with Yesma hearing wind of this, turning Kusco into a lama (who cannot speak), and her end goal of destroying the sun (to make herself younger). Thrown in a romance between the commoner and a character cut from the final film and you have a story that has potential for greatness.

The issue was that the story wasn't going over well with test screenings, leading to the film getting radically shifted (with the 'Cats Don't Dance' director coming on board) and the film shifted into the final buddy-comedy that we have today. A great testament that a film or anything with troubled development can still become something fantastic :).

Why do I mention this in a KH's thread? Because they could take the some of the original plot (taking away the sun) and implanting that with the core of the final film (buddy comedy adventure) for the plot of the world in KH's. I mean, with the sun being gone, the heartless can come out in response of the sun going away, giving Sora and co a reason to visit the world.

What do you guys think about this idea :D? I would love for the movie to be a world in KH's for a while now and KH3 seems to be a great place to put the world in :). Have the boss theme be a remix of this track cut from the final film and have battle theme be a remix of the opening number, and you are set XD!

it was kinda funny seeing what they could come up with before finally going, "okay, i guess we finally need to do this"

i wonder what KH3 would be without all of that, and if i instead cycled right into 3? Would KH DDD been considered 3? and what we see as 3 would be 4.

and where would BbS fit into that? KH0: The Prequel? or would it be a story told by mickey or someone else the same way 0.2 apparently might be

BBS is a game that would have happened anyway but I think it's possible DDD might not have if the situation allowed for them to make a KH3 earlier. I do think back in 2007 or whatever that KH3 was planned to happen right after BBS considering Nomura couldn't shut up about it.

Also BBS, Coded and Days were all announced at the same time so all of those were happening.

Dereck

Thought provoking, were the inbetween games necessary for the potential greatness of Kingdom Hearts 3?

Did the previous games pave the way for the new battle system and whatnot that KH3 has going on?

I would imagine that if BBS or Dream Drop was never created, KH3 would have played more like KH2 with a little less newness and pizzazz than the KH3 that we know of now, according to the trailers and clips.

iosefe

BBS is a game that would have happened anyway but I think it's possible DDD might not have if the situation allowed for them to make a KH3 earlier. I do think back in 2007 or whatever that KH3 was planned to happen right after BBS considering Nomura couldn't shut up about it.

Also BBS, Coded and Days were all announced at the same time so all of those were happening.
i guess we all knew BbS was coming then. lets assume it was always going to be a prequel too.
DDD was on request of Nintendo if i recall. it could just as easily not have eeb a thing right? and it's story beats could have been rolled into KH3
Thought provoking, were the inbetween games necessary for the potential greatness of Kingdom Hearts 3?

Did the previous games pave the way for the new battle system and whatnot that KH3 has going on?
I would imagine that if BBS or Dream Drop was never created, KH3 would have played more like KH2 with a little less newness and pizzazz than the KH3 that we know of now, according to the trailers and clips.
i would say they are all important at this point to shed light on different things. BbS/Days/(Re:)Coded are all the grand setup for KH3.

we know it will play closer to KH2, but now we have Keyblade Transformations, an evolution of BbS Finishers, and maybe shotlocks? Attraction Flow is the latest Summon system i would say, with a Flowmotion twist. replacing Reaction commands i'm sure.

===

my only real question is why the Command deck is relegated to what were originally handheld releases, and why it wasn't kept on for KH3.

i felt having that was a great gameplay upgrade, allowing you to customize into the player you wanted to be.

I wont post the scans (for obvious reasons), but KHInsider has a translation of the BBS 0.2 tidbit in there and

So I guess they're just doing Aquas part of BBSv2 and going up to KH1 in terms of timeline. (minus working in KH3 and/or blankpoints) If they go for the other stuff like Kairi at the mansion it's going to be interesting how they work that in plotwise. I guess flashback to the present time and what's happening there as Mickey tells more of Aquas story.

Even if it's just a couple of hours I think i'll enjoy it, the Secret Episode ended up taking me about a hour and had a suprising amount of area to explore, so going by that it might end up having a decent amount of padding. That and i'm just so excited to get a taste of the KH3 engine, and in the darkrealm of all locations. That and this is the first taste of a new (non iOS/browser) Kingdom Hearts since funnily enough the Secret Episode in BBS Final Mix
Fear not Young blade Blood Diamonds your time shall come. It got rated by the Aus Classification Board so it can't be too far off
im tired of waiting for this fuckin game im going to fight nomura at square enix hq

Soriku

Full Dengeki interview, thought this was interesting:

--Can you tell us about the meaning of [0.2]'s title, “Fragmentary Passage?

Nomura: As far as content goes, we can't include a full volume of content to play with like the second chapter of [KHBbS], so it's just a “fragment,” and we left that part of the subtitle. [0.5] is one of the letters and numbers that appeared in the secret episode of [KHBbS FM], and that meant full volume, so we decided on [0.2] this time, to indicate that there will be more content to come. However, the remaining passage will be told in [KHIII], so we wanted to show that this production is closely related to [KHIII].

Opinion, KH GAF?

My opinion on the matter has changed a bit over the years; I didn't mind it back during the Coded/Days/BBS days, because the team that Nomura wanted to have work on KH3 were busy working on Versus XIII/helping work on XIII. Moreover, I think it was clear from the Secret Endings in KH2 that BBS was always intended to be the next "main game" in the series.

After Dream Drop Distance came out though, I realized that Nomura was going too far with it. He has this problem that's apparent in every single entry in the KH series, at least since KH2: every game has to have some sort of massive plot twist or new piece of information, as if the game didn't deserve to exist if it merely maintained the status quo of the KH-verse.

At this point, it really is going to be difficult for him to bring the general audience up to speed and not overwhelm them. It worked fine in KH2, because there was only one game in-between it and the original. Chain of Memories had a twist, sure, but it wasn't a huge game changer that forced fans to change the way they saw the story of the series. It just set the stage for KH2 and gave hints at Organization XIII.

Five years ago, after BBS was released, I thought KH3 could have pulled off a similar summary because the only really vital game that had been released after KH2 was BBS. The details in Days and Coded were important, but it all still felt manageable. DDD messed that up big time and I think Nomura's decision to incorporate stuff from Chi into the canon and storyline for KH3 probably won't help matters.

That said, I still love Kingdom Hearts. I'm excited to see where Nomura goes with KH3, even if I'm skeptical for how well he'll pull it off.

Famassu

Which means...

Playable Aqua!?!?!
I hope so. They've so far only shown Sora, but I've tried to remain cautiously hopeful about them not ignoring the rest of the have-been-playable-and-should-be-in-III-as-well characters (Aqua, Ven, Riku) and the new would-be-cool-if-playable characters (Kairi, Lea) in the game. I really hope Sora isn't the only playable character, even if the rest were just shorter story-mandated instances instead of the whole game being playable with 7 characters or something (think: Siri in Witcher 3, less having to replay everything like DDD & BBS), though of course an option to pick your character (maybe closer to the end of the game) would be awesome.

My opinion on the matter has changed a bit over the years; I didn't mind it back during the Coded/Days/BBS days, because the team that Nomura wanted to have work on KH3 were busy working on Versus XIII/helping work on XIII. Moreover, I think it was clear from the Secret Endings in KH2 that BBS was always intended to be the next "main game" in the series.

After Dream Drop Distance came out though, I realized that Nomura was going too far with it. He has this problem that's apparent in every single entry in the KH series, at least since KH2: every game has to have some sort of massive plot twist or new piece of information, as if the game didn't deserve to exist if it merely maintained the status quo of the KH-verse.

At this point, it really is going to be difficult for him to bring the general audience up to speed and not overwhelm them. It worked fine in KH2, because there was only one game in-between it and the original. Chain of Memories had a twist, sure, but it wasn't a huge game changer that forced fans to change the way they saw the story of the series. It just set the stage for KH2 and gave hints at Organization XIII.

Five years ago, after BBS was released, I thought KH3 could have pulled off a similar summary because the only really vital game that had been released after KH2 was BBS. The details in Days and Coded were important, but it all still felt manageable. DDD messed that up big time and I think Nomura's decision to incorporate stuff from Chi into the canon and storyline for KH3 probably won't help matters.

That said, I still love Kingdom Hearts. I'm excited to see where Nomura goes with KH3, even if I'm skeptical for how well he'll pull it off.
I think everything up until & including DDD wasn't too bad. KH1, 2 & ReCom all ended up being available for PS2 and prior to Dream Drop Distance, BBS was the only major KH that you absolutely needed to have something other than PS2 to get the major mainline-ish releases. ReCoded and Days have very little story relevancy and I doubt anyone would be all that confused if they skip those. Even Chi wasn't all that horrible before when it was only a browser game, considering how little meaningful story it has had so far (it basically just expands the whole World Separation/Keyblade origin myth to include characters called the Foretellers & a book of prophecy).

But with the announcement and the knowledge that both the mobile version AND the HD Collection version will offer slightly different pieces of the Chi puzzle in addition to the browser version (from what I've understood) + 2.8 having a KHIII story relevant Aqua episode that presumably won't be included in the main game, I think THAT is where they are going overboard. As much as I personally love the idea of getting to see a part of what was possibly planned for BBS Vol 2 and don't mind that it's included in yet another separate release, I really think they should've just done the KH2.9 we all thought was going to be made with 1.5, 2.5 and DDD HD and then save all the Aqua stuff for KHIII proper.

Weiss

Banned
I finally beat Sephiroth.

I should feel proud, but I was level 80 from all the grinding I did to get the Ultima Weapon. Least it was fun to smack Unknown around like a ragdoll after all the abuse I went through last time.

I must be the only one who hopes Sora is the only playable character for the main story with mayyybe some short bursts with the others like Mickey, Roxas and Riku for KH2. Focus on one character usually makes gameplay progression feel better for RPGs at least for me. Anyway if there is another playable character the safest bet is obviously Aqua at this point since they will put in gameplay work for her in 0.2.

And I bet you right now: Lea/Aqua/Riku or whoever will be a DLC episode. I just feel SE wants to do something to monetize KH3 outside of the main sales (well they kinda already do with 0.2) and Final Mix is probably a thing of the past. I think they will do a whole new episode rather than an ''expansion/director's cut'' approach. And I just don't see Nomura/Yasue wanting Microtransactions for it.

They could even make it standalone like InFamous First Light/Festival of Blood

zeemumu

I must be the only one who hopes Sora is the only playable character for the main story with mayyybe some short bursts with the others like Mickey, Roxas and Riku for KH2. Focus on one character usually makes gameplay progression feel better for RPGs at least for me. Anyway if there is another playable character the safest bet is obviously Aqua at this point since they will put in gameplay work for her in 0.2.

And I bet you right now: Lea/Aqua/Riku or whoever will be a DLC episode. I just feel SE wants to do something to monetize KH3 outside of the main sales (well they kinda already do with 0.2) and Final Mix is probably a thing of the past. I think they will do a whole new episode rather than an ''expansion/director's cut'' approach. And I just don't see Nomura/Yasue wanting Microtransactions for it.

They could even make it standalone like InFamous First Light/Festival of Blood

I wouldn't mind a BBS/Sonic Adventure-style play system where each character has their own episode that crosses over into another one at certain points. That's what I felt like the intro to DDD was alluding to with that final shot of everyone teaming up against Xehanort. I'd like to have Sora Riku and Kairi be one team but it's basically already confirmed that Sora's gonna have Donald and Goofy as his party-members though.

Tsunamo

I'm not too sure about Final Mix being a thing of the past, maybe so they could have a better delivery method and get the extra content to Westerners through DLC they wouldn't do one and instead opt for something like that.

But I remember pondering this with Birth By Sleep and thinking they'd find someway to release it as DLC or a patch for the English release, and up pops Birth By Sleep Final Mix.

For Kingdom Hearts 3 maybe they could do something with the final battle, having you switch back and forth between the seven wielders of light and controlling them similar to how you could takeover as Riku for a part of the Xemnas battle in Kingdom Hearts 2. The intro at least leaves a bit of legroom for someone else to be playable for a decent amount of time instead of Sora if they opt for that route. (and it does seemlike it considering it leads directly into Kingdom Hearts 3 and it's missing part of the full story)

The game itself feels like it's going to have so much ground to cover storywise.

Weiss

Banned
I want to replay KH2, but my first playthrough on Proud Mode was pretty lame, because it still felt really easy, just everything took too long to die. Is Critical Mode significantly different?

Top Bottom