• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Multiplayer Coverage! (no campaign spoilers)

Lima

To get stream viewers, get hype on the game pre-release and to show the game works (due to MCC).

And nobody cared. Most times Halo was even able to overtake Destiny in the Twitch directory.

Only when they gave summit the access they had 10k viewers. Should have done that earlier.

They will have to fight for them viewer numbers that's for sure.

Madness

I'm sorry, but I'd be disappointed with all Forge maps for BTB. Forge maps are often subpar not just in visuals, but how they play. I like developer finished maps, especially for BTB. Is that what they meant by free maps going forward or what?

But that's just my opinion.

E92 M3

Fair enough. I'm not a regular and/or competent Halo player and cannot comment on the "boring and sterile" maps, but its ridiculous how 343i continuously gets railed on for not being Bungie.

The game should be critiqued of course. But on its own merits and flaws. 343i isn't Bungie, for better or worse. Lots of people have invested sweat and tears into the project & it really doesn't seem constructive [or nice] to then judge their work based on output(s) of a predecessor that they could not have influenced.

I would not like to live behind a towering shadow that people constantly used to bludgeon my accomplishments or amplify my failings, and neither would you.

I'll still be buying Halo 5, but doesn't mean I can't critique it.

Glass

Seeing a lot of hugely one sided games, was a mistake to give early access to so many Halo community people/streamers/youtubers when there's a bunch of reviewers going up against that in a such tiny pool of players. One sided games arnt fun to play or watch.

Seeing a lot of hugely one sided games, was a mistake to give early access to so many Halo community people/streamers/youtubers when there's a bunch of reviewers going up against that in a such tiny pool of players. One sided games arnt fun to play or watch.

Reviewers got certain hours to play just by themselves, it was part of the schedule.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

RuL destroyed a team in the latest upload. I dont think the other team even tried to get power weapons.

Walshy beat the RUL kids 50-15 at one point, lol.

And then Naded's team almost always beat Walshys team whenever they got matched together.

Glad to see Halo still has that skill gap. Of course, it's too early to tell how competitive it is, but it's a good start

Eric WK

Anybody watching Formal play on Maniac's stream? The kid is insane -- spent all year winning Call of Duty tournaments then picks up Halo 5 and immediately starts wiping the floor with Halo pros, including Roy.

I mean, I realize he got his start with Halo and played in the MCC Invitational, but still.

Nutter

Anybody watching Formal play on Maniac's stream? The kid is insane -- spent all year winning Call of Duty tournaments then picks up Halo 5 and immediately starts wiping the floor with Halo pros, including Roy.

I mean, I realize he got his start with Halo and played in the MCC Invitational, but still.

Watching it now, the comments are truly SMH worthy. People calling the BR worthless.. and comparing it to COD. Sigh. Also not sure why they are not turning off radar and setting it to BR starts. Everyone in chat thinks the game does not even have those options, lol.

So, 8 actual arena maps and 2 forged maps? = \

10 arena maps in total kind of sucks.

When is the last time we got 10 small 4v4 maps at launch? I think you guys need to revisit older Halo title launches.

I think so :/

Once again, this is not a bad thing. You do not want people to quit the lobby by just seeing your ranks/gamertags. The ranks appear just fine in the Post Game Carnage Report at the end of the game for everyone.

Ramirez

Watching it now, the comments are truly SMH worthy. People calling the BR worthless.. and comparing it to COD. Sigh. Also not sure why they are not turning off radar and setting it to BR starts. Everyone in chat thinks the game does not even have those options, lol.

Dude, when is the last time we got 10 small 4v4 maps at launch. I think you guys need to revisit older Halo title launches.

They're probably keeping it with the settings HCS will have??

Naked Eli just won an Assault match on the first round, so it is possible, lol.

pieface

So apparently Australians will be getting screwed after all.

Poster on Reddit is saying he tried joining a US friends party but the game wouldn't let them start because one person (the Aussie) had high latency connection to the server. Match would only start once he left.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3pvhkg/halo_5_au_high_latency_issues/

Bit silly.

It's for the best definitely. You might be okay with the lag, but I know if i was matched up against you and it was lagging it would drive me bonkers. I think setting a ping limit is fair game from 343 tbh...

Nutter

They're probably keeping it with the settings HCS will have??

Naked Eli just won an Assault match on the first round, so it is possible, lol.

I think its a case of misinterpreting what 343 said were competitive settings. Of course they will advertise that their default settings ARE competitive. But actual tournament settings are always customized, especially radar.

The Rig, Fathom, Empire, Plaza etc. look so much alike. Even Halo 4 had more aesthetic variety in regard to its launch maps.

Can't say I am excited for more remixes of spherical bases and pipes, or extremely bland maps like Orion and Pegasus.

Nutter

The Rig, Fathom, Empire, Plaza etc. look so much alike. Even Halo 4 had more aesthetic variety in regard to its launch maps.

Can't say I am excited for more remixes of spherical bases and pipes, or extremely bland maps like Orion and Pegasus.

Rig, Fathom I can understand. But Empire and Plaza? ..WTF.

jtar86

It's 2015, 10 arena maps for a game of this magnitude in 2015 is small. Just saying.

Battlefront has what, 13 maps total? and no single player. 10 just for arena seems just fine to me. Plus you get new maps for free as opposed to paying 50 bucks for a season pass.

Forge maps made by developers have the infamous reputation of being.... well, "lazy" to put it bluntly. They rarely as fleshed out as in-engine maps because they serve as templates for what you can do in Forge, often by heavily utilizing prefab pieces. I'd say 99% of the ones that have launched with the games in the past have not been good - both from a gameplay perspective and aesthetic one.

It's possible that they could be using community maps this time, but if Reach and H4 were anything to go by, those may not be well received either.

We'll just have to see how things go. I do agree though that the map pool is troubling. At this point, it's the only real issue I have with the game.

Seeing as what you can do with Forge in Halo 5, I have no problem with this whatsoever.

SwolBro

Banned
Battlefront has what, 13 maps total? and no single player. 10 just for arena seems just fine to me. Plus you get new maps for free as opposed to paying 50 bucks for a season pass.

when you look at it like that yeah it's not so bad. but it's really 8 maps, 2 are forged. And how many free maps do you think will be in this dlc that aren't forged?

Reach was nothing but forged maps. i hated that. if it ends up being like that again...

Lingitiz

when you look at it like that yeah it's not so bad. but it's really 8 maps, 2 are forged. And how many free maps do you think will be in this dlc that aren't forged?

Reach was nothing but forged maps. i hated that. if it ends up being like that again...
Reach never had official DLC that was Forge maps. I don't expect that here.

Regardless, at least Forge maps in 5 should look way better. Reach had that hideous gray forerunner aesthetic which made everything look super bland and awkward.

If I had a say in it, I would prefer we get ~40 well-designed multiplayer maps that just had super clear development shell-like visuals. But I am in the super minority there. I don't give a single fuck how good my multiplayer maps look, just make them play like a fucking dream. Maps would look like the current WIP shells in Unreal Tournament. I actually think they have a visual charm to them that is extremely pleasing :)

Here's some quick shots I captured to explain what I mean:

ZRDwlP5.jpg

0vhBo0P.jpg

VamtAyE.jpg

VD7n09v.jpg

It's probably the great lightmapping with realistic light bounces/ambient occlusion mixed with big flat surfaces. I think they look great. Also, no visual clutter. Which is something I think Halo 5 struggles with from the footage I've watched so far. But again, I'm in the super minority. It's why I'm looking forward to forge maps; much more visually simple.

jtar86

I could live with 10 real maps and 10 forge but who knows what the split will actually be. All forge would definitely be lame.

If I had a say in it, I would prefer we get ~40 well-designed multiplayer maps that just had super clear development shell-like visuals. But I am in the super minority there. I don't give a single fuck how good my multiplayer maps look, just make them play like a fucking dream. Maps would look like the current WIP shells in Unreal Tournament. I actually think they have a visual charm to them that is extremely pleasing :)

It's probably the great lightmapping with realistic light bounces/ambient occlusion mixed with big flat surfaces. I think they look great. Also, no visual clutter. Which is something I think Halo 5 struggles with from the footage I've watched so far. But again, I'm in the super minority. It's why I'm looking forward to forge maps; much more visually simple.

The dream would be if forge could emulate that style. Launch forge maps have no where near the charm of even those WIP maps, frankly.

Raide

The dream would be if forge could emulate that style. Launch forge maps have no where near the charm of even those WIP maps, frankly.

I guess the colouring option could make maps look more uniform and simple in style. 343 could add some texture options down the line for basic brick textures or simple wall stuff.

The thing is, people moaned about Forge being lots of grey maps, so at least that is there but people also want interesting looking maps. Stripping all the textures and doodads is what happens when maps are made for more serious players. They want streamlined maps with a focus on map flow, not a good looking map.

Hopefully Forge in HAlo5 will have a right balance.

Honestly, color options will go a SUPER long way towards making forge maps look exponentially better. I personally believe that it is the single most important visual addition to Halo 5 Forge. With color alone you can create visual flow and interest using even the most basic of shapes. Mirror's Edge did an amazing job at showing the versatility of color on simple geometry in the Time Trials DLC pack.

Those shots kind of remind me of Warsaw.

I wonder how many people would like to hear my opinion on sprint, map sizes and a bit downgraded motion tracker, and how it affects the gameplay. I might be streaming in 30 minutes and be talking about that.

Yesterday made a gametype:

No Sprint
110% move speed
No ground pound
No shoulder charge (it's not Destiny, sorry)
Thruster speed 70%

after playing few FFA games on Truth (Middy <3) with my buddies I can tell, that the Halo core is present and you don't really need sprint and other stuffs to have fun shooting. don't get me wrong, we're not living in 2004 right now, games need to evolve but to a certain degree Halo should remain untouched.

Gonna post a link when I'm done with my breakfast and ready to stream.

PS. Sorry for so much bitching @ Sika's stream (I'm Polish - we always complain)

<3
AllGoodInMyHood

gossi

Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

It only matches you to people with low ping times, and if you make custom matches you can't start the match if somebody has a high ping.

Ping usually equals distance.

So for example Australian players can't play with US friends as the match doesn't start.

Rig, Fathom I can understand. But Empire and Plaza? ..WTF.

Perhaps not in overall layout, but they still sport the same UNSC aesthetic. Lots of cool locales from the campaign that look like they aren't going to be used (visually, not just copy pasting certain areas).

And I am sorry, but I can't exactly become excited over having a 50/50 split between these 343 UNSC aesthetics and bland forge slabs like Orion and Pegasus.

Omni

Leyasu

Banned
This.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=182720024#post182720024

Can't wait to play lobby simulator 2015 in a week or so. Maybe I'm overreacting, but most of my online friends are in different countries. If this is true then they've just ruined any chance of me playing this game's multiplayer for any extended period of time. Will play campaign and return.

???

You will meet of people that are close to you in the game. This will be great to pad your friend list with people in your region.

I understand that people have friends on other continents. But why the fuck should overs have to suffer? Region locking halo is the best news that I have heard...

I cant wait to play 100% of my halo locally. It is going to be glorious

gossi

The ping lock is true. It also applies to co-op and joining matchmaking with a group of friends.

On screen it comes up: "One or more members of your fireteam has high latency to the dedicated server"

You have to get each of your friends to leave to figure out who it is.

It also applies to people with bad internet connections. If you have a friend with poor internet, they're in trouble.

Omni

???

You will meet of people that are close to you in the game. This will be great to pad your friend list with people in your region.

I understand that people have friends on other continents. But why the fuck should overs have to suffer? Region locking halo is the best news that I have heard...

I cant wait to play 100% of my halo locally. It is going to be glorious
Except that it's no longer P2P. There's absolutely no chance of me getting host and messing with everyone else's connections. At worst what I do in game might take a split second longer to register and what I see on my screen might be delayed (for instance I might be shot around a wall on my screen... but that's not my real position relative to the server and what everyone else sees). That's not game breaking. But okay, 343i wants Halo 5's Arena mode to be ultra competitive and there's no room for any kind of error. Fine.
Let's just make it LAN only while we're at it, huh. Oh wait

But Warzone and apparently customs? Fuck off, 343i. Let me play with my friends if I want to. Every other game does it. This is totally disregarding that Australian servers in most games are usually dead as hell too. So basically I'm going to be stuck in a lobby for millions of years searching for players that don't exist.

Dynasty8

I got the game. Played the first three campaign missions and all I have to say is that I'm in love.

Is it okay if I log into XBL while playing the campaign?

I'm guessing I can't hang with the cool "press kids" and join in on Arena...right?

Once again guys....love. El Oh Vee Eeee!

Akai__

Is it okay if I log into XBL while playing the campaign?

You can't play online, because the first thing it does is checking for available servers. Those are not available for the general audience yet.

You might get kicked back to the start screen, if you try to go online in the middle of a campaign level, I dunno.

Top Bottom