• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man does black face for Kanye West costume because this shit will never end

Status
Not open for further replies.

atr0cious

i know but I'm curious where he's being ignorant from. Just because he brought it up really, that it's okay to be ignorant in his country. It's really just curiousity
It's okay to be ignorant in the US, though. Look at our presidential candidates.

We're doomed.

Keep pushing it with blackface and we're going to extend Black History Month to include March. You've been warned.

Jokes aside, I understand where some of the confusion comes from. A lot of people have zero experience with the historical relevance of blackface: it's not an exaggeration to say that I myself had never even been introduced to the concept until I was well into adulthood. When I saw a kid dressed as Blade with make-up to darken his skin, I just thought "That's Blade". I had no idea how black people saw that until a friend pointed it out.

It's not really surprising that people defend it so vehemently either as it's embarrassing to be ignorant of something so fundamentally offensive to people that you care about. In Psychology, rationalization is a commonly-exhibited defense mechanism for behavior or ignorance that makes you feel embarrassed or ashamed. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the banned posters in this thread come to realize what they were doing, why they were doing it, and come to their senses on the issue.

Interfectum

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the banned posters in this thread come to realize what they were doing, why they were doing it, and come to their senses on the issue.

You have more faith than I do. I'd imagine most will just write this off as a librual GAF hugbox lul outrage moment and continue to wallow in their ignorance.

Drinking coffee and playing Guitar Hero

these people aren't going anywhere

Someone could probably do something with this gif.

tumblr_mqky95ylOi1s3r4mbo1_500.gif

The best part about having zero experience is that we have the community here letting you know. We have articles that have been posted. Folks have posted the wiki. Others just Google it for people. Oddly, even with all of that, people dig in and keep arguing for it.

Why is that? Hmm..

Welp..

I'm well aware of the sufferings that black people had to go through at the hands of white people, but those days are over.

We're living in the world where all races are equal now, let's act that way.

At this point I'm pretty sure they're marching these accounts out from another site where people have been banned and hate gaf

Mosquitoes in amber

I'm well aware of the sufferings that black people had to go through at the hands of white people, but those days are over.

I was hoping this was a joke but ... doesn't seem to be the case.

Using white face as an example (no one said it was okay btw) and now saying all races are equal now. It's pretty clear that you're being deliberate with your wording.

Javier23

Banned
Let me try to express my views on this as clearly as possible so no one can misunderstand me. I'm not American. The outrage people are showing in this thread would never ever happen in my country. If it did, we'd think it's stupid to be angry at such a thing. When we go in costume as a known black person, we dress like that person, we talk like that person, we move like that person, and we paint our skin the color of that person, because nobody dresses the same, nobody shares the same mannerisms, nobody talks the same, and nobody has the same skin colour. When we in good fun pretend to be this person, there's a lot of things we can do with. We can just dress like that person, just move like that person, just talk like that person, or just paint our skin the color of that person. Heck, we can just say we are that person and do none of those things. But that wouldn't be a great costume, would it?

Now, I'm not "being ignorant from" abroad, I know the historical roots surrounding this taboo perfectly well. What's actually ignorant is this attitude of pretending such a taboo around what in itself is just an inoffensive action extends, or should extend, to every single country on Earth. Cultural relativism exists. We don't all live in America. Not everything has the same meaning or implications everywhere. Now, we do have a black population. And I believe it fair to say that, with our own share of issues, we are not even close to rivaling the USA in terms of the racism embedded in both social and institutional structures. I say this having briefly worked in the south in the areas of poverty and hunger, and having visited my fair share of American governmental institutions. So the fact that people can get so fixated on language (the "N word") or irrelevant cultural manifestations (blackface in the context of costume parties and entertainment acts ) instead of on the material reality surrounding them disturbs me very much. I find it childish, and a very unhealthy attitude to try and pretend differences don't exist instead of actually viewing them as something natural and ordinary. I believe we Europeans are doing a bit better in that sense, despite our own issues, and some pretty serious ones at that (some of which have been these days awfully evident).

But all in all, don't go around calling people ignorant because we don't feel the same about this everywhere. The heinous historical reasons why you find this so disgusting are exclusively your reponsibility and yours to deal with. Every other country has their own regrets manifested today very differently, and no national will expect you to have the same taboos and to let them affect your own social interactions the same way they affect theirs.

Let me try to express my views on this as clearly as possible so no one can misunderstand me. I'm not American. The outrage people are showing in this thread would never ever happen in my country. If it did, we'd think it's stupid to be angry at such a thing. When we go in costume as a known black person, we dress like that person, we talk like that person, we move like that person, and we paint our skin the color of that person, because nobody dresses the same, nobody shares the same mannerisms, nobody talks the same, and nobody has the same skin colour. When we in good fun pretend to be this person, there's a lot of things we can do with. We can just dress like that person, just move like that person, just talk like that person, or just paint our skin the color of that person. Heck, we can just say we are that person and do none of those things. But that wouldn't be a great costume, would it?

Now, I'm not "being ignorant from" abroad, I know the historical roots surrounding this taboo perfectly well. What's actually ignorant is this attitude of pretending such a taboo around what in itself is just an inoffensive action extends, or should extend, to every single country on Earth. Cultural relativism exists. We don't all live in America. Not everything has the same meaning or implications everywhere. Now, we do have a black population. And I believe it fair to say that, with our own share of issues, we are not even close to rivaling the USA in terms of the racism embedded in both social and institutional structures. I say this having briefly worked in the south in the areas of poverty and hunger, and having visited my fair share of American governmental institutions. So the fact that people can get so fixated on language (the "N word") or irrelevant cultural manifestations (blackface in the context of costume parties and entertainment acts ) instead of on the material reality surrounding them disturbs me very much. I find it childish, and a very unhealthy attitude to try and pretend differences don't exist instead of actually viewing them as something natural and ordinary. I believe we Europeans are doing a bit better in that sense, despite our own issues, and some pretty serious ones at that (some of which have been these days awfully evident).

But all in all, don't go around calling people ignorant because we don't feel the same about this everywhere. The heinous historical reasons why you find this so disgusting are exclusively your reponsibility and yours to deal with. Every other country has their own regrets manifested today very differently, and no national will expect you to have the same taboos and to let them affect your own social interactions the same way they affect theirs.

Dude you didn't have to type up a whole essay to just say what the last 20 banned posters said.

Also maybe you guys aren't offended by it because you're...not black?

Edit: lol at the bolded as well. You really think black people only care about blackface, and don't talk about other forms of discrimination? Are you serious?

This event took place in America. If non-Americans want to participate in the discussion by opening up with 'well this isn't offensive where I'm from,' they've assumed an ignorant position. Nobody cares when blackface skates in your country.

JDSN

Banned

Please tell me its not Spain, because im at work and I dont wanna laugh out loud. The amount of racism, both casual and straight up blatant that I experienced in USA doesnt even come close to the one I experienced in places like Madrid or Andalucia. Im talking about colleagues calling me Pepito and asking me how many kilos I had on my stomach.

RELIGHT

Banned

What in hell man

Enzom21

Brought up the same stupid points that have been brought up multiple times in this thread... bravo. You did mange to throw in the dig about how silly people are for being offend by the word nigger... at least you had some new bullshit in your nonsense post.

Kyzer

Banned
Let me try to express my views on this as clearly as possible so no one can misunderstand me.

I'm not American.

When we go in costume as a known black person, we dress like that person, we talk like that person, we move like that person, and we paint our skin the color of that person,

Now, I'm not "being ignorant from" abroad,

I know the historical roots surrounding this taboo perfectly well.

So the fact that people can get so fixated on language (the "N word") or irrelevant cultural manifestations

What's actually ignorant is

The heinous historical reasons why you find this so disgusting are exclusively your reponsibility and yours to deal with..

Now, we do have a black population.

I say this having briefly worked in the south in the areas of poverty and hunger, and having visited my fair share of American governmental institutions.

I find it childish, and a very unhealthy attitude to try and pretend differences don't exist instead of actually viewing them as something natural and ordinary. I believe we Europeans are doing a bit better in that sense,

hildc.gif

Isn't racism the belief that your race is superior to others?

How is changing the color of your skin to look like someone else as a Halloween costume a belief that your skin color is superior? Or is it just to be in costume? This is a genuine question. It doesn't seem racist, just like skin coloring. Is it because of the history?

How is changing the color of your skin to look like someone else as a Halloween costume a belief that your skin color is superior? Or is it just to be in costume? This is a genuine question. It doesn't seem racist, just like skin coloring. Is it because of the history?
Dude. Just google "blackface". Then ponder why some might find it offensive.

Edit: or have aeolist do it for you.

Fuck sake.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

No It's not, that's simply a part of it (the amount of times I've had to correct people on gaf on this is astounding, seriously at some point in your lives you should look up the definitions of the words and phrases people throw around, so that you don't lose any and all nuance of it.)

racism

/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/

noun

noun: racism

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/racism

It doesn't have to malicious to be racist, it doesn't have infer inferiority or superiority either.

Yes.

Mael

I was wondering why some poster were going at it for so long.
They can thank Activision for their ability to still post here.

Seriously I don't even how many pages we have here and it's the same fucking thing.
Diet (or not so diet) racists going "you shouldn't be offended"
When have that ever worked for anyone, really?

Enzom21

Did you even attempt to read the thread or no?

Merc_

I'm really impressed by the shear depths of ignorance that can pop up on this forum. Thanks for telling us black folk how we should feel too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom