• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

23 Times America Failed Black People in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This is the point I made previously and why I think he is in his late teens or very early twenties. I don't know how anyone that lived through the 80s/90s can hold his opinion.
I think rap has definitely become more mainstream..
Yes it was played on the radio back in the day less but what the OP fails to realize is that rap itself has evolved.. It no longer only represents the street and inner city struggle like back in the day.. It has evolved into pop and club music..hence more radio play .. And none of that can be attributed to Eminem

Malyse

This is the point I made previously and why I think he is in his late teens or very early twenties. I don't know how anyone that lived through the 80s/90s can hold his opinion.

See. I'm looking through a site that lists the top 40 for any given year and starting with 1990 (because that's my frame of reference), I'm not seeing a ton of rap. There are a few, but not anything that could be considered dominance. Furthermore, R&B is not rap. I said rap from the start. When I was a kid I only listened to top 40. If I wanted rap, I had to turn to the rap station. Occasionally the top 40 would play Missy or Tim and Magoo, but that only because they were local artists. In fact, I've only seen one rap number one: 1995 Gangsta's Paradise.

Also, this is such a fucking nostalgia trip.

border

I love how #12 sounds like the social justice movement starting to eat its own tail.

"We need to make sure that black people get credit for this disgusting objectification of women!"

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
See. I'm looking through a site that lists the top 40 for any given year and starting with 1990 (because that's my frame of reference), I'm not seeing a ton of rap. There are a few, but not anything that could be considered dominance. Furthermore, R&B is not rap. I said rap from the start. When I was a kid I only listened to top 40. If I wanted rap, I had to turn to the rap station. Occasionally the top 40 would play Missy or Tim and Magoo, but that only because they were local artists. In fact, I've only seen one rap number one: 1995 Gangsta's Paradise.

That's because rap has evolved from street life to champagne in the club ... Nothing to do with Eminem

noquarter

For popularity, it isn't in the charts, but there was a show in the early '90s that probably did a decent job of helping popularize rap.

Fresh Prince said:
Now, this is the story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air

In West Philadelphia, born and raised
On the playground is where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool
And all shootin' some B-ball outside of the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started makin' trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said, "You're movin' with your aunty and uncle in Bel Air"

I begged and pleaded with her the other day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket
I put my Walkman on and said, "I might as well kick it!"

First class, yo this is bad
Drinkin' orange juice out of a champagne glass
Is this what the people of Bel Air are livin' like
Hmmm, this might be alright

But wait, I hear they're prissy, bourgeois and all that
Is this the type of place that they should send this cool cat?
I don't think so, I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel Air

Well, uh, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude look like a cop standin' wavin' my name out
I ain't tryin' to get arrested yet, I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought, nah forget it, yo home to Bel Air

I pulled up to the house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby, "Yo homes, smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Air

Pretty much everybody that grew up in the 80s and 90s knows that song. Honestly is probably one of the best known opening sings outside of the Friends and Cheers openings.

From what I gather, you could hear Eminem on stations that didn't normally play rap music. If I had a nickle for every time I heard I don't like rap BUT EMINEM!!!!!

I don't see a ton of rap in the 00s either.

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2000

Eminem released the Marshall Mathers LP in 2000, yet if you look at the Billboard sales for that year, his first song isn't even in the top 50. Album sales are a whole different beast though, in which case several rap albums sold several million copies in the US alone in the 90s. The first year in the 00s I can see significant chart presence for rap singles is in 2003, where you have 50 Cent at #1. Not that Eminem isn't highly successful, just that your narrative isn't really logical. "It's so terrible that Eminem appropriated black music and made it safe for the wider audience to listen to it so they then went and listened to black artists perform it!"

Winter John

Gold Member
Except that's exactly what happened. Top 40 didn't give rap nearly as much spin before Em came out.

Like your claims that black people invented rock and punk music, this is just more revisionist nonsense. Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of the history of rap knows that it was incredibly popular and was frequently in the Top 40 long before Eminem came along. It was black radio stations that refused to play rap music back in the late 80s/early 90s. Groups like Run DMC, De La Soul and Public Enemy were all major stars at that time and could not get airtime on black radio. It was so ridiculous that Chuck D wrote two songs about it. How To Kill A Radio Consultant and more famously, Don't Believe The Hype. You might want to go and listen to those songs and maybe educate yourself on the history of rap before you start raving about things you have no understanding or knowledge of.

border

See. I'm looking through a site that lists the top 40 for any given year and starting with 1990 (because that's my frame of reference), I'm not seeing a ton of rap. There are a few, but not anything that could be considered dominance. Furthermore, R&B is not rap. I said rap from the start. When I was a kid I only listened to top 40. If I wanted rap, I had to turn to the rap station. Occasionally the top 40 would play Missy or Tim and Magoo, but that only because they were local artists. In fact, I've only seen one rap number one: 1995 Gangsta's Paradise..

http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1990

Looking up Billboard's historical data is kind of slow and obnoxious, but it can be done. Go to the Hot 100 Singles and pull up a random week. Here's one. You will see Ini Kamoze at #1, also on the charts with 69 Boyz, Craig Mack, Mary J. Blige, Bone-Thus-N-Harmony, Da Brat, Rappin-4-Tay, Lucas, Salt-N-Pepa, Method Man, Notorious BIG, Heavy D, Doctor Dre, and of course Shaquille O'Neal.

Not a lot of albums rocketed to #1, but rap was still all over the place. Earliest #1 album I can think of would be Snopp Dogg's Doggystyle (1993).

noquarter

From what I gather, you could hear Eminem on stations that didn't normally play rap music. If I had a nickle for every time I heard I don't like rap BUT EMINEM!!!!!
Through that period of time I listened to stations that would not play rap music and they never played Eminem. That station that played him was the same station that played any other rap pop or hip hop.

Not saying it didn't happen, but never heard of it happening or heard out happen myself.

But I have heard the same about not listening to rap, but Eminem somehow being outside of the rap label.

border

If I had a nickle for every time I heard I don't like rap BUT EMINEM!!!!!

I dislike how this phrase is always mentioned as in indictment of Eminem fans, either as stupid or racist.

Love him or hate him, the guy had a pretty unique voice at the time. He was very funny, very witty, didn't take himself seriously (at least not in the singles), and littered his music with amusing pop cultural references. The rest of the mainstream rap landscape at the time was doing some super-serious gangster/thug schtick or typical materialist/sexist stuff about cars, parties, strippers, drugs, etc.

There's probably a race angle there for some people, but part of the reason so many people tend to say "I don't like rap but I like Eminem!" is because Eminem was doing something that few others on MTV were doing. His topics and tone were completely different from other artists that were either mega-serious or super-hedonistic.

Malyse

For popularity, it isn't in the charts, but there was a show in the early '90s that probably did a decent job of helping popularize rap.

Pretty much everybody that grew up in the 80s and 90s knows that song. Honestly is probably one of the best known opening sings outside of the Friends and Cheers openings.

Castle.gif

Can you show us these purple and green people you are thinking of, AlfonzoPalutena?

---

This thread is frustrating because so many people are going on about how the list has stupid shit in it that takes away from the real issues, but almost none of you are talking about those real issues, anyway. Are you just then admitting that you're that easily distracted yourself? Can those conversations ever possibly happen with you?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Can you show us these purple and green people you are thinking of, AlfonzoPalutena?

---

This thread is frustrating because so many people are going on about how the list has stupid shit in it that takes away from the real issues, but almost none of you are talking about those real issues, anyway. Are you just then admitting that you're that easily distracted yourself? Can those conversations ever possibly happen with you?
If we are going to have a discussion on the real issues, shouldn't we start wth an article that states the real issues? I mean.. the article is what this thread is about after all

Schattenjäger;142281211 said:
If we are going to have a discussion on the real issues, shouldn't we start wth an article that states the real issues? I mean.. the article is what this thread is about after all
You're free to think whatever you want about it, but this thread has too many "I recognize some real issues in there" talk without much actual talk about them.

I don't think that was the idea mate. Macklemore slammed through the grammys and has gotten a mainstream that is questionable regarding the quality. When the less talented white version gets all the cookies, people think the game is rigged.

Thats because the Grammys don't mean shit, its a bunch of old out of touch people picking favorites and calling it significant. The answer to this isn't to get mad at Azalea and Macklemore, but to start ignoring the Grammys. Also most mainstream music isn't exactly the pinnacle of it's respected genre. Macklemore took rap and made it lowest common denominator, no one sane is saying he is better than Kendrick.

A lot of people feel confident that the kids skin color stereotypically might have made the cop more edgy than had it been a white kid.

Perhaps I'm being a bit blunt but those that just shout racism need to get a new hobby. Bottom line is, that boy pulled a realistic looking gun on a police officer at close range and I'm not sure what the cop was expected to do, put his hands up? As far as he knew, his life was on the line. Feelings are not equivalent to fact, yet this article assumes the incident was one fueled by race when there is no evidence to suggest that at all

Malyse

---

This is why I stepped away from the Eminem convo, tbh. The point that was being discussed had fuck all to do with white appropriation on black culture in music. I mean, Eminem is, to my knowledge, one of the few people who does his own thing: he's a white rapper who acknowledges what he's doing, yet in doing so establishes himself as something separate.

Look at Without Me:
Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley,
to do Black Music so selfishly
and use it to get myself wealthy

But I'm getting caught up in it again. That the vast majority of the four approaching five pages of this topic have been about whether white people have a right to make rap music is fucking mind numbing. Like, I totes put links in the OP, dammit. Click them and educate yourselves before you come in with these asinine arguments, you lazy assholes.

---

I'm not discussing the real issues because they don't need to be discussed any further. I feel they are accurate examples and fit for the article they were published in. I'm arguing the stupid ones weaken the overall impact of the article.

Also you know the purple and green thing was just an expression, don't be deliberately obtuse. I still stand by my point, aiming a gun at a cop will get you shot regardless of race.

gatti-man

Well first of all crabtree is not one of the best receivers in the league, I would take at least 15 guys before him.

Secondly you can think all of that of Sherman, but it doesn't make him a thug.

Lastly if jj watt did the same thing, not a single person would call him a thug and that's the difference.

In the post you quoted I agreed in no way is he a thug. I agree if jj watt did that no one would call him a thug they would call him a clown or an ass. It's totally ridiculous he was called a thug.

Hmm. I think your heart is in the right place (maybe) but you have a gross misunderstanding of the issue on police brutality and by extension systemic racism. Also your solution seems a bit insensitive, nothing is wrong with discussing things, it's how we arrive at better solutions and compromises. Your basically telling people to stfu and put their money where their mouth is like you can't do both and like you have a good idea where to spend it.We're not even at the point where we can talk solutions and act on them because not everyone fucking sees the problems as evident by this thread and even your post. This is why listening at this stage is important so we can come to an understand and move forward. Dismissing the list because it's "clickbait" (fucking overused phrase now) or because it makes you feel uncomfortable and then go on to tell people "well, take action!" is pretty lazy. Uhh ok? How about you take the simple action of using your ears and listen to what we are saying.

I disagree. People can talk and discuss this all they want. It won't change a damn thing. The people you are trying to reach aren't listening. The only way to make them listen is by action. In my daily white life I never see white on black racism. In fact I see more racism towards middle eastern people and Mexicans than blacks. And racism isn't just a white problem. There are some black people out there that straight up hate white people. I've experienced that myself in customer service.

What I'm trying to say is racism is only stamped out by action. Police need an independent regulatory protocol that for example reviews bodycam footage and handles complaints. Get racially insensitive gov representatives out. Vote them out. I just see a lot of talk and most people that talk can't even be bothered to vote. I mean when you take no action how do you ever expect change?

---

In any list based thread, people are going to discuss the things on that list that don't belong rather than the things that are a given. If someone made a "Top 10 Movies List," people would be much more likely to discuss Cars 2 being in it than The Godfather or Citizen Kane.

Also pretty much every issue in the OP has been discussed extensively on GAF. It's not like this list has some incredibly new issues to be discussed. Not a day goes by that there this isn't a thread about racial issues, and while they absolutely should be discussed, don't act like people should be tripping over themselves to discuss the same topics that have already been talked about extensively many times before (in threads likely also started by DreamDrop).

rexor0717

I'm not discussing the real issues because they don't need to be discussed any further. I feel they are accurate examples and fit for the article they were published in. I'm arguing the stupid ones weaken the overall impact of the article.

Also you know the purple and green thing was just an expression, don't be deliberately obtuse. I still stand by my point, aiming a gun at a cop will get you shot regardless of race.

As far as I am aware, there is video evidence showing he didn't point a gun at a cop. They just rode up and shot him.

---

6sQcIdm.png
You can't be serious? I mean, really?

Don't burn me at the stake but,
I'm serious
. If anyone pointed a gun at me, regardless of race, I would not be comfortable just assuming the gun is fake.

Malyse

Don't burn me at the stake but,
I'm serious
. If anyone pointed a gun at me, regardless of race, I would not be comfortable just assuming the gun is fake.

Here's the problem: Ohio is a fucking open carry state. He's allowed to have it; you can't just shoot him like that.

As far as I am aware, there is video evidence showing he didn't point a gun at a cop. They just rode up and shot him.

Here is a link to the video hosted on The Guardian. The video is extremely choppy, and the quality doesn't look great. It looks to me like he reached for the gun in his waistband, the video then moves up to the next frame and he is down.

So no, it does not look like he pointed at the cop, but he did reach for the gun. I don't really think that changes the situation though, as far as the cop knew, this kid was taking the gun out to shoot him.

22. This isn’t about race. The idiot pulled a fake gun modified to look real on a cop. It doesn’t matter if the kid was white, black, purple or green, he was being shot regardless.

Everyone is responding to this point with wide eyes and stuff, can anyone address why they disagree with it in more detail? I'm not set in stone with my opinions, and I'd love if you guys expressed how you feel about it with more detail

So 19 isn't okay, but the 12 Years a Slave thing is? Even though those are basically the same thing? "haha black people were slaves" isn't that far removed from "haha black people like watermelon". Pity you can't see that.

Yeah, it's a pity I can't see that. I just don't think its the same thing at all to make a pun about a slavery movie, and using a tired stereotype to make a racist joke, but now that you bring it up, an individual indecent of racism, while bad it its own way, is not 'America failing black people' and it doesn't belong on that list either. <edit> To counter my last sentence, I could buy the argument that America, as a culture, has fostered an environment where people feel that it's more acceptable to make jokes like that, so maybe it does belong.

ICKE

Banned
I'm guessing you never bothered to watch the surveillance video of the incident (15 seconds on). The gun was never in his hands but on his waist/in his pants.

I could understand the reaction if the officer was forced into a situation where the person was holding a gun in his hand.

This is the first time I've seen this footage.

They broke every protocol that officers are expected to follow at least in my country. You are supposed to keep your distance from the possible threat and assess the situation carefully, especially when the person has been reported as a juvenile. You have to understand that young people can panic easily.

Especially the driver should NEVER expose his partner to an unknown individual with a gun, I mean what the fuck is going on in here. Are these officers even trained properly?

In any list based thread, people are going to discuss the things on that list that don't belong rather than the things that are a given. If someone made a "Top 10 Movies List," people would be much more likely to discuss Cars 2 being in it than The Godfather or Citizen Kane.
Best movies is not the same as the crushing impact of institutional racism in our country that people are still denying exists. DreamDrop provided a lot of links for people to educate themselves, but there was at least one person in this thread who admitted they didn't see anything but the headline before commenting, and I feel like many comments are equally educated.

Also pretty much every issue in the OP has been discussed extensively on GAF. It's not like this list has some incredibly new issues to be discussed. Not a day goes by that there this isn't a thread about racial issues, and while they absolutely should be discussed, don't act like people should be tripping over themselves to discuss the same topics that have already been talked about extensively many times before (in threads likely also started by DreamDrop).
I want the people who say there are real issues in the list to actually talk about those issues instead of dropping that "supportive" comment while dismissing everything.

Best movies is not the same as the crushing impact of institutional racism in our country that people are still denying exists.

I want the people who say there are real issues in the list to actually talk about those issues instead of dropping that "supportive" comment while dismissing everything.

The point of an analogy is for a subject to not be exactly the same as the thing it's being compared to. Pretty sure Opiate made a thread talking about this recently. The point was more about the nature of people discussing list-based threads on GAF, not a direct comparison of movies and racial issues in America (something which is obvious unless you're being purposely obtuse).

Also in your second point you just said the same thing over again. People have discussed these issues dozens of times on GAF. A mod (or admin) just posted another thread about racial issues. What is there to be discussed that isn't discussed in the other threads on these issues posted every single day?

What is there to be discussed that isn't discussed in the other threads on these issues posted every single day?
Apparently whether or not Eminem was very popular.

This is a list of where America has failed black people. It would be nice if we recognized these moments instead of acting like they don't matter just because they either sound stupid or don't matter to us. Millions of Americans have been marching every day all week across the country. These issues still need to be discussed, addressed, fixed, but most important of all, understood.

Great response.

I was going to go for a snarky one line reply like you but I'm a bit above that so I'll add this bit too.
Your response indicated that you feel further discussion on race issues is no longer important or worth discussing because they've been dismissed in other threads already. And that is what's happening in most race threads here: a lot of people with the life experience of racism mostly agreeing on something, and then a whole lot of other people dismissing their experiences or concerns outright.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This is why I stepped away from the Eminem convo, tbh. The point that was being discussed had fuck all to do with white appropriation on black culture in music. I mean, Eminem is, to my knowledge, one of the few people who does his own thing: he's a white rapper who acknowledges what he's doing, yet in doing so establishes himself as something separate.

Look at Without Me:

But I'm getting caught up in it again. That the vast majority of the four approaching five pages of this topic have been about whether white people have a right to make rap music is fucking mind numbing. Like, I totes put links in the OP, dammit. Click them and educate yourselves before you come in with these asinine arguments, you lazy assholes.

Nice try .. You stepped away because multiple posters pointed out your mis-informed myopic position and called you out on it
You're better off coming clean and acknowledging your extremely flawed argument.. It will suit you better since you could actually learn a thing or two from people that are older and have more insight on the topic..

But then again I guess most of those people are what you say.. "disingenuous"

CrunchyB

So no, it does not look like he pointed at the cop, but he did reach for the gun. I don't really think that changes the situation though, as far as the cop knew, this kid was taking the gun out to shoot him.

Dozens of police officers are murdered every year.

With that kind of death toll, can you really expect the police to keep their heads cool and not overreact?

Other countries (where cops aren't shot dead every week) don't seem to have the same problems with police brutality.

Malyse

With that kind of death toll, can you really expect the police to keep their heads cool and not overreact?

Other countries (where cops aren't shot dead every week) don't seem to have the same problems with police brutality.

/sarcasm?

Because, uh, an unarmed black person gets murdered (at least) once every 28 hours, so...

Lime

And what about the black people that disagree? I understand you have a favorite descriptor for them.

Disagree? I'm talking about the tactic of discrediting the list in order to deny the issue of racism in the US. Seems there's a whole bunch of posters in this thread who would rather talk about meaningless sales numbers of white musicians than actually acknowledging the things that the list puts a spotlight on.

And being a member of an oppressed group of people doesn't give you a free pass for tacitly supporting the white supremacy we live in.

iZdTFaaMA8yGa.gif

lol

notworksafe

Disagree? I'm talking about the tactic of discrediting the list in order to deny the issue of racism in the US. Seems there's a whole bunch of posters in this thread who would rather talk about meaningless sales numbers of white musicians than actually acknowledging the things that the list puts a spotlight on.

And being a member of an oppressed group of people doesn't give you a free pass for tacitly supporting the white supremacy we live in.

I'd prefer not to take advice on what's important in race issues from closet racists such as yourself.

CLEEK

5. No one cared about Ebola until it started affecting white people.

http://media3.policymic.com/Y2VmOTRh...duLmpwZw==.jpg

Before this past summer, many Americans considered Ebola a disease that's only a concern for people living on the African continent. But once the United States had its first Ebola case, news outlets, TV stations and everyday people could not stop obsessing over a disease that, while devastating, only spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids. Some concern is understandable, but it's telling that the nonstop news coverage and panic only picked up when Ebola came in close proximity to a predominately white, Western country, as Mic's Sophie Kleeman noted in response to a poignant illustration.

I'd suggest this has more to do with American's infamous insular view of the world. If something isn't happening in the US, no one knows or cares about it.

It's rarely effective to address a serious, obvious problem by writing a bullet-point list of issues. Doesn't matter if its race related like this, the recent male privilege in videogaming one, or anything you'd find of Buzzfeed. As often, the lists will contain some subjective or erroneous entries (see above). People can correctly criticise individual entries without dismissing the underlying issue. But at the same time, people can use inaccurate entries to reject the enter basis of the list.

Velcro Fly

I'd suggest this has more to do with American's infamous insular view of the world. If something isn't happening in the US, no one knows or cares about it.

And yeah people cared when it was over here. It was a black dude, an asian nurse, and a black nurse. And they wanted to quarantine the white nurse from Maine.

Slayven

And yeah people cared when it was over here. It was a black dude, an asian nurse, and a black nurse. And they wanted to quarantine the white nurse from Maine.

I think they were thinking more when those 2 missionaries got it. They flew over here, got a shot from CDC and then shook off Ebola like they were Wolverine. Then the black dude got it, and they were like "what cure?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom