• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Ce-Lin

I just got my 6700K + 980 Ti + 32 GB DDR4 gaming rig up and running and I gained 45-50 fps average compared to my now "old" 4790K + GTX 970 16 GB DDR3, any slight stuttering I had is now absolutely gone, I don't know if this is because the improved single thread performance of the 6700K or the 980 Ti brute forcing stuff but the game runs silkier than 60 fps silk if you know what I mean, so happy with my built, my old rig now goes as a neat gift to my younger brother so he plays this and many other games properly.

Something is really strange, running the game on a GTX 980 ( with an I7 4790k and 16GO de ram ) everything on Ultra but I have some strange stuttering while being on interiors and especially during the intro, running most at the time at 60FPS outside without a problem... anyone else ?

FYI, no need to have everything on ULTRA, even with 980. (I own a 980 too). Check NVIDIAS guide, things like godrays have 0 noticeable difference from low to ultra yet take more frames.

MattyG

Banned
Welp, I was going to record some 60FPS Lexington gameplay for the tweaks, but everytime I activate Shadowplay it forces 30FPS. What's up with that?

jorimt

Does anyone know what's causing the low GPU usage and adjoining FPS drops in the problem areas of the game, even on high end systems?

I saved the game overlooking one of these areas, and lowered each setting, one by one. Even with everything off and at it's lowest, the GPU usage still wouldn't increase in these areas. It's like AC3 all over again.

demolitio

Any idea which change with the config tool would make lockpicking 10x as fast to the point of being impossible to use? I see people talk about the invisible lockpicking elsewhere, but not insanely fast lockpicking. :p

oneils

I'm starting to wonder if I have a memory leak issue with my PC. I can't seem to get above 30 fps in this game. I pretty much have all settings on medium with a 770gtx (2gb vram) and an i5 4690k and 16gb system ram.

I'm using the steam fps counter. It seems accurate because I feel like everything is sluggish.

Are there certain settings I should just turn off since I only have 2gb vram?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
How does this run on a r9 290?

With a 4790k I'm sitting at 60fps except for in Lexington I'm getting 40-50s. I had everything on ultra, but dips to 30fps in Lexington made me switch to high settings with shadow quality and distance at medium, I also turned godrays on low and lowered tessellation through CCC.

ido

I'm running a 970 with 16GB RAM and a i5-3570k at stock. I think I fixed it though. I added the preload line in and everything seems to be loading fine now (hopefully it stays that way).

I tried the inner city, Diamond City, and I'm in Lexington now. It dropped to 45 for a second when I first entered Lexington, but it's back up to 60. Keep in mind, I had to drop my shadow distance to medium and godrays to low. Everything else is at max I believe. I'll see if I can't grab some footage of Lexington with an FPS counter for those of you who can't try this yet.

This is great news! I have the exact same specs as you, too! Was Lexington giving you horrible drops before you did the tweak from reddit?

Can't wait to get home to try this. Thank you!

Go into the plant and climb the stairs really high and check the FPS if you have the free time. That seemed to be where I got the worst drops of all.

MattyG

Banned
This is great news! I have the exact same specs as you, too! Was Lexington giving you horrible drops before you did the tweak from reddit?

Can't wait to get home to try this. Thank you!

Go into the plant and climb the stairs really high and check the FPS if you have the free time. That seemed to be where I got the worst drops of all.
Yeah, Lexington dropped into the 40s before. I did get a couple drops to around 50 eventually even with the tweaks, but they were momentary and seemed to be tied to loading (I'm on a HDD).

I forgot to check the plant tower. I'll try it when I get home, that spot gave me some crazy drops before.

owasog

What's with the framerate drops? Near Sanctuary it's a solid 60 on my GTX970, but the closer you get to Diamond City it drops to 50fps and even lower. The strange thing is, GPU and CPU usage are around 70%! Nowhere near maxed out. So why can't it maintain 60fps? What's the bottleneck?

Hey guys I got to a terminal and once I exited I couldn't move or really interact with anything. I assume this is the known issue with terminals.

Is it to do with high frame rates? I've already capped frame rate to 90fps on RTSS.

Jin

Hey guys I got to a terminal and once I exited I couldn't move or really interact with anything. I assume this is the known issue with terminals.

Is it to do with high frame rates? I've already capped frame rate to 90fps on RTSS.

Cap it to 60. I had mines at 90 too and I still get stuck.

Zomba13

Yup. Anythign above 60FPS breaks the game.

Game goes faster, locks you in place after terminals, lock picks go super fast. It's stupid.

For me, I could lock at 60 and I should be staying there seeing as I get a lot more than that playing normally. But when I lock at 60 with Nvidia control panel then I start getting drops before 60 when I wasn't when uncapped up to 120

parabolee

FYI, no need to have everything on ULTRA, even with 980. (I own a 980 too). Check NVIDIAS guide, things like godrays have 0 noticeable difference from low to ultra yet take more frames.

While the difference is not 0, I agree with you, the performance difference is HUGE, but the effect on image quality is very small. Even Ultra to High is a huge increase in performance. There is definitely a noticeable difference in light shafts from Ultra to High and onwards. Ultra makes the shaft very sharp and they get softer as you lower it, and you lose some sharpness on the things it passes through.

I would say a 980 should have no problems with High. But drop it to medium if you have any drops from 60. Easiest gain in performance with VERY little noticeable difference.

Anyone with a lesser card looking to boost performance should drop God Rays to low as the first thing they do.

For reference here is Ultra verses High

And Ultra versus Low

It's most noticeable when the light shafts go through the trees. See here.

But we are talking about something you really have to look for to even see the loss in quality, but you gain over 30fps!!!

fallout-4-god-rays-quality-performance-640px.png

Also interestingly it seems the low setting on PC is still higher than on consoles. See here.

Cap it to 60. I had mines at 90 too and I still get stuck.

Yup. Anythign above 60FPS breaks the game.

Game goes faster, locks you in place after terminals, lock picks go super fast. It's stupid.

For me, I could lock at 60 and I should be staying there seeing as I get a lot more than that playing normally. But when I lock at 60 with Nvidia control panel then I start getting drops before 60 when I wasn't when uncapped up to 120

Thanks dudes.

kiyomi

So I've tried those tweaks from the link I posted, I can't say I've noticed any real meaningful difference - but perhaps I'll find out with more testing.

For me, turning Shadow Distance to Medium was the biggest factor in improving frame rates in dense areas like Lexington/Corvega Factory, keeping minimums of about 56FPS. As a test, I tried again from the save quicksave on High Shadow Distance, and once again, the frame rate dipped into the low 40s. Switched back to Medium, and it hovers between 56-60 in those dense areas.

So yeah, would definitely recommend that you turn Shadow Distance to Medium if you're having problems, as well as setting GRs to Low, as has already been discussed at length here.

I need to do more Shadow Distance testing because the High setting is at 14,000 while the Medium is at just 3,000, so I'd like to find out if there's a comfortable limit between the two that keeps me at 60FPS but looks a little nicer.

7870XT 2GB
i5 2400(Sandy Bridge)
8GB DDR3

I haven't really tried to get 60fps yet. I was running the default medium setting and frame rate was all over the place. It would drop from 60 all the way down to 30 or less at times. GPU usage bounced from 100% to 50% so maybe it was throttling, but temps were fine. I'll check later.

For now I'm running everything high except textures at Ultra. Im even using Tmaa and Blokeh. So far it's a flawless 30fps, but I just barely left the vault and wandered through some houses.

Fanboy much jeez

daxy

So I've tried those tweaks from the link I posted, I can't say I've noticed any real meaningful difference - but perhaps I'll find out with more testing.

For me, turning Shadow Distance to Medium was the biggest factor in improving frame rates in dense areas like Lexington/Corvega Factory, keeping minimums of about 56FPS. As a test, I tried again from the save quicksave on High Shadow Distance, and once again, the frame rate dipped into the low 40s. Switched back to Medium, and it hovers between 56-60 in those dense areas.

So yeah, would definitely recommend that you turn Shadow Distance to Medium if you're having problems, as well as setting GRs to Low, as has already been discussed at length here.

I need to do more Shadow Distance testing because the High setting is at 14,000 while the Medium is at just 3,000, so I'd like to find out if there's a comfortable limit between the two that keeps me at 60FPS but looks a little nicer.

That's quite the gap. I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

jorimt

Well, it looks like my issue in the trouble areas (Lexington, Corvega Assembly Plant, etc) was being caused by one thing: FOV modification.

The below screens were taken at a problem area for me in a certain building in Lexington with really nothing going on (it's the wall/floor of an office). I used the "fov XX (weapon) XX (world)" command to test in real-time. Weapon FOV is set to 90 in all the below shots...

World FOV 80 (default):
fhcDiod.jpg

World FOV 90:
qVSw1W1.jpg

World FOV 110:
KO47yif.jpg

Note the GPU usage decreases with every increase in FOV. It appears that the devs didn't add an FOV slider for a very particular reason. The default 80 seems to be what the game's culling system is tuned for. Go just five degrees over, and you're going to get drops, especially in the areas people have been having repeated problems in.

Now this may not explain why people who have not modified their FOV are having drops in these areas, but if you did, I'd set it back to default and see if it clears up.

Good news is, weapon FOV has zero hit to performance, so I'm currently playing the game with it at 90, and the world at the default 80.

Afro

Okay, think I finally found the fix to the jittery camera panning I was getting w/ my 144hz g-sync monitor (this post is for the 144hz g-sync micro stutter / judder crowd, specifically). Weirdest/dumbest solution ever, but I haven't seen it posted yet and this is the only way I was able to get that buttery smooth 60fps feel after trying all the popular tweaks (using RTSS, etc.). The two most important tweaks are bolded.

- Changed my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz via Nvidia Control Panel (lol).
- Left g-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Left v-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Set iPresentInterval=0 (not sure if this matters at only 60hz, but I did it anyway).
- Set game to Borderless Windowed mode via game launcher.
Bonus:
- Set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 via Nvidia Control Panel (I do this with pretty much every game, but I'm including it anyway).
- Also, for gamepad users, removed acceleration).

edit: iFPSClamp=60 clears up the micro stutter even more, but apparently breaks many aspects of the game.

Curious if this helps any of you so please post if it does! Will edit this post if the judder/micro stutter returns.

komorebi

Well, it looks like my issue in the trouble areas (Lexington, Corvega Assembly Plant, etc) was being caused by one thing: FOV modification.

The below screens were taken at a problem area for me in a certain building in Lexington with really nothing going on (it's the wall/floor of an office). I used the "fov XX (weapon) XX (world)" command to test in real-time. Weapon FOV is set to 90 in all the below shots...

Note the GPU usage decreases with every increase in FOV. It appears that the devs didn't add an FOV slider for a very particular reason. The default 80 seems to be what the game's culling system is tuned for. Go just five degrees over, and you're going to get drops, especially in the areas people have been having repeated problems in.

Now this may not explain why people who have not modified their FOV are having drops in these areas, but if you did, I'd set it back to default and see if it clears up.

Good news is, weapon FOV has zero hit to performance, so I'm currently playing the game with it at 90, and the world at the default 80.

Wow this is interesting. I have my FOV at 90 and have been getting big drops in the cities like most people. I've been tweaking the shadow distance to get around it but I might need to try this. Is the command for weapon FOV separate? Where do you put it?

EDIT: is it fDefault1stPersonFOV=90?

ABK

Banned
Man I just can't get this game running well indoors. In the Wasteland I have it running around 40-55 fps except in big cities but as soon I go inside of a building the framerate just falls apart and becomes a slideshow. I was in vault 75 killing a bunch of dudes at like 15 fps. Maybe my 6950 just can't handle this game? I mean I ran Skyrim nearly maxed out at around 50-60 fps on this card and Fallout 4 on low settings honestly looks worse so I just don't understand what's going on here.

Deathknell

Okay, think I finally found the fix to the jittery camera panning I was getting w/ my 144hz g-sync monitor (this post is for the 144hz g-sync micro stutter / jitter crowd, specifically). Weirdest/dumbest solution ever, but I haven't seen it posted yet and this is the only way I was able to get that buttery smooth 60fps feel after trying all the popular tweaks. The two most important tweaks are bolded.

- Changed my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz via Nvidia Control Panel (lol).
- Left g-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Left v-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Set iPresentInterval=0 (not sure if this matters at only 60hz, but I did it anyway).
- Set game to Borderless Windowed mode via game launcher.
Bonus:
- Set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 via Nvidia Control Panel (I do this with pretty much every game, but I'm including it anyway).
- Also, for gamepad users, removed acceleration).

Curious if this helps any of you so please post if it does! Will edit this post if the jitter/microstutter returns.

I have 144hz g-sync too and i fixed everything setting to 120hz

Fjordson

Some of these FPS drops man. So fucking confusing. Even if I'm in a room for a minute or two at 60+ FPS going through dialogue, it'll suddenly drop to 45 before I leave. All within the same room, with the same number of NPC's, etc. Gonna have to dig into my settings / tweaks later and see if I can get it more stable.

Blizzard

Banned
I just got this on PC.

When I get to the character creation point I get about 10 fps. It makes it pretty difficult to make a character.

I have textures on high, lighting and shadows are on medium. AA is set to FXAA.

I have a 770 gtx with 2 gb vram, and 16gb system ram and an i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz. All stock settings.

Anyone else have this problem?
I'm starting to wonder if I have a memory leak issue with my PC. I can't seem to get above 30 fps in this game. I pretty much have all settings on medium with a 770gtx (2gb vram) and an i5 4690k and 16gb system ram.

I'm using the steam fps counter. It seems accurate because I feel like everything is sluggish.

Are there certain settings I should just turn off since I only have 2gb vram?
That doesn't make any sense. I have a 2GB GTX 770, and an i5 3570k (4.2 GHz overclocked), and only 8GB system memory, and I've been 60 fps for most of the intro area and the wasteland. I just used the autodetected settings. Have you tried that?

Also, I'm Windows 7 64-bit home premium. What OS and driver version are you using? Have you done any manual overrides in the nVidia control panel that might affect things?

ACE 1991

downloading now. What are the defacto settings for someone with a 2500K and a 970 for 60fps 90% of the time? Also, what do I need to tweak to minimize stuttering?

Leetums

I was surprised turning godrays from high to medium and shadows from ultra to medium did absolutely zero for my framerate in Lexington.
Its not the shadows that are the performance hit. Its the shadow distance. Turn shadow distance to medium and watch your framerate skyrocket.

downloading now. What are the defacto settings for someone with a 2500K and a 970 for 60fps 90% of the time? Also, what do I need to tweak to minimize stuttering?

With everything on ultra (except godrays on low, ultra adds nothing but a huge performance drain). I was able to get 60fps almost all of the time with similar specs.

However, like many others here, my frame rate tanks in certain areas, mostly in parts of Boston and that big plant near Lexington. Apparently shadow distance is the culprit, and dropping it to medium helps massively, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hey, anyone else having issues with audio channels being inverted? When I load the game the audio is coming in fine, but after going between areas a few times the direction of audio inverts, and it's bugging the hell out of me. Anyone know any fixes other than restarting from desktop? I know it's not my soundcard doing this, all my tests of it come out fine.

RE4PRR

Moved Godrays from High to medium helps me out even further, get mostly 60fps except in rubble heavy areas. Can tell there's a difference when I look up into the sun with it being more blocky around objects but it's not worth the fps trade off imo.

Someone really needs to fix this bullshit 21:9 mode, why there's no native support is beyond me.

kiyomi

Hmmmm. Interesting! I'll have to try that out in the morning, both my FOVs are at 100 >.<

jorimt

Wow this is interesting. I have my FOV at 90 and have been getting big drops in the cities like most people. I've been tweaking the shadow distance to get around it but I might need to try this. Is the command for weapon FOV separate? Where do you put it?

EDIT: is it fDefault1stPersonFOV=90?

Hmmmm. Interesting! I'll have to try that out in the morning, both my FOVs are at 100 >.<

Nope, you just put the below in the console while in-game (no quotes):

"fov XX XX"

First two "XX" would be your wanted weapon FOV, second would be your world. Changes fully apply after exiting the console.

jorimt

Someone really needs to fix this bullshit 21:9 mode, why there's no native support is beyond me.

As I stated in my post (just a few above yours), it may be because the culling system is heavily tied to the default 80 FOV. Some areas seem to rely on this for more stable performance more than others.

Top Bottom