• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of the Wii U In 2015 [Kotaku]

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I havn't touched the Wii U disc of Rodea yet but i'm loving the Wii version and your damn right with Earthbound Beginnings, my favourite surprise of the year.

I figure a Wii release counts as a Wii U game since you have the buy the Wii U version to play it and it's playable on the Wii U anyway. :p

AntMurda

I think this is proof you can't convince a Wii U detractor otherwise. To them the system sucks. I'm a Nintendo fan, and I love the system and a lot of the library on it. I just think the Playstation 4 is hasn't really got many games that appeal to me yet, excluding the excellent Bloodborne.

I don't get that. I really couldn't devote myself to Bloodborne, but can tell you there are a ton of other games on the system released this year.

IrishNinja

It's definitely been a rough year but Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Xenoblade, and FAST made it a worthwhile console to have in my home.

yeah, these exclusives are some of the best this year - if this was a transitory period, the wii should've had one of those

I'm still worried that the new Zelda will be announced as a nx exclusive.

giphy.gif

boxter432

The Witcher 3 is a reiterative sequel? Have you played The Witcher 1 or 2?

sure haven't, but clearly the guy i quoted hadn't played any WiiU games, all I'm saying. besides crappy Mario tennis, the main software this year was nothing like a previous entry or franchise.

Gator86

Sad. Very sad year for Wii U.

That's my exact feeling. Splatoon is okay but didn't blow my mind, Yoshi bored me to tears, and my hype for Xenoblade has never risen above tepid. That's basically it for the year aside from Mario Maker which I haven't had a lot of time to play.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Bad year for Nintendo software library quality overall critically and commerially, but Wii U will probably ended up dominating GAF GOTY list this year again with Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Xenoblade X. Not bad for worst performing console.

I doubt this, considering the love for MGS5 and Bloodborne. I would be surprised if those two games didn't plave first and second with a huge distance to the third game.

It certainly was a weak year for Nintendo and sadly, a weak year for Nintendo usually means a weak year for me, too. Still I've got quite a few fantastic games like Yoshi's Woolly World (my GotY), Super Mario Maker or (even though it's 3DS) Mario & Luigi 5. I cannot really complain, other weak years for Nintendo, like 2005 or 2008 were weaker for me.

boxter432

Fatal Frame 8? Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Kirby? Yoshi?

Xenoblade X is actually quite different than the first. and I said main software.
no need to get defensive, the post I quoted seemed to single out Nintendo for rehashing, I just noted the 3 biggest games of the year for them were all pretty fresh while the bigger games on others were also sequels and such...everyone relies on brands and franchises

I agree that their output was sparse but the games that I enjoyed most this year mostly came from Nintendo. Splatoon, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles 3d, Xenoblade and Chronicles X. (witcher 3 being the outlier)

How I feel. My best times are usually with their games.

Gator86

It's all about tastes and preferences.

The PS4 has twice the amount of retail releases (if not more) than the Wii U does, but the Wii U has more software that I'm interested in, so it's a bit difficult to make big sweeping statements objectively.

The PS4 has almost 5 times as many good or better games than the WiiU. I'm genuinely dumbfounded when people rave about the WiiU library and then say theres nothing that entices them on PS4. Like, what are your tastes in games? Frequently, it seems to just come down to "Not Nintendo? Lol sucks."

KevinCow

Banned
I don't get that. I really couldn't devote myself to Bloodborne, but can tell you there are a ton of other games on the system released this year.

Some people like different kinds of games than you.

Frankly, if the only games available on the Wii U were DKCTF and Splatoon, I'd still take the Wii U over the PS4. I've had a PS4 since last October and aside from Arkham Knight and MKX, it's been a pretty huge disappointment. I'm sure things will get better in the years to come, but I have no interest in most of its library as of right now. Games like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Bloodborne do nothing for me.

Carlisle

The PS4 has almost 5 times as many good or better games than the WiiU. I'm genuinely dumbfounded when people rave about the WiiU library and then say theres nothing that entices them on PS4. Like, what are your tastes in games? Frequently, it seems to just come down to "Not Nintendo? Lol sucks."

I don't think anyone's ever said that. In fact, it's the opposite you often hear: PC/X/4 gamers claiming that nothing that entices them on Nintendo.

KevinCow

Banned
The PS4 has almost 5 times as many good or better games than the WiiU.

Based on what? Your ass?

I don't think anyone's ever said that. In fact, it's the opposite you often hear: PC/X/4 gamers claiming that nothing that entices them on Nintendo.

This is also a good point. Like the guy who said his friends would rather jump in front of a bus than play anything on the Wii U. I've never heard somebody say the same about games on the PS4.

I frequently see people on this board say, flatly, "I don't like Nintendo games," as if "Nintendo" is a genre and not a company that produces many different kinds of games.

Ansatz

Idk about that, I mean Splatoon itself has eaten up months of gaming time for me and Smash 4 / Mario Kart 8 are games with a big online presence that also received major DLC packs this year. I had to retire from actively playing MK8 to clock in 500+ hours into Splatoon.

Xenoblade X is a game that would keep you busy for the whole December if that's the only game you play this month and nothing else. Mario Maker is also one of those titles that never ends, it's impossible to put it down.

I would say the state of Wii U has never been better; Miiverse feels more alive than ever and people seem to be loving 2015. I could see that from an editor's point of view who doesn't main Wii U, basically does a drive-by every time a game launches and then moves on quickly after wouldn't feel as strongly about the system.

jwj442

It's been a weird year for Nintendo software. You have some of their most ambitious games ever in genres they've never done: a new shooter IP that has won major awards (and is keeping the Wii U alive in Japan almost single-handedly) and a huge and complex open-world RPG.

To a lesser degree, there's also good entries in established IPs like Mario Maker and even minor new experiments like Boxboy and Codename STEAM. Also Nintendo has been doing a lot right with DLC.

But you also have Nintendo spinning their wheels and even setting new lows for themselves:
- An utterly transparent cash grab with Amiibo Crossing
- Beyond Animal Crossing, some questionable Amiibo content locking in other titles.
- The most bare-bones Mario Sports game ever.
- Some other things like Happy Home Designer and Triforce Heroes that, while not exactly bad, are clearly minor low-effort titles.

Ansatz

The inverse is also true, seeing how games like PSABR and Sonic All Star Racing perform sales wise. Ratchet is kinda appealing to me, but with the focus of the game being the shooting / weapon upgrade system as opposed to actual platforming, I'll pass. I liked Tools of Destruction on PS3 but I don't feel like i'm missing out the newest release to the point I need to own a PS4 for it.

I hope one of those games you mention supposedly equal in quality to Wii U's isn't Killzone SF because I played several hours of that game and it had abysmal level design / enemy placement, besides looking great it's an awful game with constant gameplay interruption in the middle of a level. We can do this case by case for every game if you'd like.

openrob

I think this is proof you can't convince a Wii U advocate otherwise. Their system rocks. I'm a Nintendo fan, and I dislike the system and most of the library on it. I just think the Playstation 4 is on another pantheon in terms of great games available.

I know that it has been said to death, but having a PC alongside my Wii U has been great.
I can play the odd multi platform game I'm interested in whilst getting milage out of Wii U

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Have to agree with a lot of this. Splatoon and Mario Maker are two amazing games that I believe would have changed the Wii U's fortunes at launch. The other titles were basically filler. However, I dislike how she wrote Xenoblade X off. It also misses a lot of indie titles.

Sigh, another list warz

If you really like Nintendo games and are a fan of traditional Nintendo software, you will really love the Wii U's lineup this year. I don't think this is different from 2013 or 2014. Wii U is a traditional Nintendo fan's dream(cast) come true.

SMgamer83

Sigh, another list warz

If you really like Nintendo games and are a fan of traditional Nintendo software, you will really love the Wii U's lineup this year. I don't think this is different from 2013 or 2014. Wii U is a traditional Nintendo fan's dream(cast) come true.

Pretty much this.

I think everyone would you agree you need one of PS4/X1/PC. This is the master system that gets you so many good games. Then if you need more or like Nintendo stuff, the Wii U is a great secondary system. That doesn't mean you should play it less or anything, just that you can't go Wii U only as you'd be missing out on too much.

Jamix012

I don't do WRPGs really so both Witcher and Fallout lack appeal to me.
MGS V was massively disappointing as a huge fan of the series, but it's an alright game, though definitely not special like the rest of the series IMO.
Bloodborne is incredible, maybe game of the gen on consoles but Bayo 2 is also brilliant so IDK. I love the atmosphere, the combat, everything. It's wonderful.
Until Dawn is okay, I didn't love it but it was fun to play with friends around.

The other games I have for the thing (21 physical games in total for the PS4, many from this year) are remasters of games I missed in the past. Also a couple of indie gems like Retro City Rampage DX and Shovel Knight (both of which can be played in numerous other places.) I plan to get the transformers game, so I'll see how it pans out.

Only Bloodborne justifies the PS4's existence to me thus far really, everything else is a nice bonus as I like being able to play older games in higher def with new features, but it's not system selling in itself. For what it's worth, for me, Bloodborne, MGS V and Until Dawn mean that I guess the PS4 had a marginally better year for me than the Wii U, but I still overall vastly prefer the library on the U.

I'd say the genres the Wii U currently does better are:

3D Platformers
2D Platformers
Kart Racers
Character Action
Multiplayer Party Games

It also has some games with more unique appeal outside these genres like: Smash, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, Lego City Undercover, and Mario Maker.

Can you not see how someone tastes in these genres might err towards the Wii U? For example, personally I'm not a fan of open world games, traditional fighting games or anything with a first person perspective so that really narrows the type of games that appeal to me on the PS4.

T.E.D

Banned

3D Platformers
2D Platformers
Kart Racers
Character Action
Multiplayer Party Games

It also has some games with more unique appeal outside these genres like: Smash, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, Lego City Undercover, and Mario Maker.

Although I'm a firm believer in subjectivity in that one man's milk is another man's poison, there's a bit of a stretch going on here...

3D platformers? 3DWorld got slated because it wasn't a "true" 3D Mario game in the 64 or Galaxy mould. Looking at 3D platformers for 2015/16, how many exactly are Nintendo games?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998885

The same story with 2D platformers. Nintendo are hardly the company innovating in this genre - which is strange given the fact that this used to be Nintendo's bread and butter. In fact, it's the indies that are producing the best 2D platformers these days. I'm not 100% sure what "Character Action" means but one area Nintendo have seemed to excel in was the party games - however, Mario Party 10 is considered the weakest in the series for quite some time and Amiibo Festival was thrown together in a week if you're to listen to Animal Crossing fans. As far as Kart Racers go.....I wasn't even aware that this was an actual genre. Next there will be genres labelled "best game where you get mushrooms and go down drainpipes" genre or the ever illusive "guy wearing dungarees with red hat and funny mustache" genre. Nintendo will sweep up every time as Sony and Microsoft are hardly racing to create an entry in the "guy wearing dungarees with red hat and funny mustache" genre. How many companies are actually pumping out cart racing games on a regular basis? I can't think of many but I could be mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon that people get entertainment and enjoy different games. I shudder to think of an industry where everyone liked the same exact thing. However, some people are just grasping at straws at this point. I think the industry is better with more competition, but for Nintendo to regain it's market share it needs a severe kick up the ass.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I hated Kirby and didn't love Splatoon that much outside of the campaign. Xenoblade Chronicles X on the other hand has made my year. Seriously up there with The Witcher 3 and MGSV and probably my GOTY. It's so goddamn ambitious it's beautiful.

XCX has been amazing fun so far though and I've sunk about 30 hours into it so far, with my main problem with that game being the volume of the voices during cutscenes, especially compared to the loud ass music.

Seriously my only complaint. Maybe only the Western version has this sound mixing issue, but if so, volume levels should have been added.

AntMurda

3D Platformers like 1-2 games?
2D Platformers
Kart Racers You mean Mario Kart? And maybe the Sonic Transformed port?
Character Action Like 2-3 games?
Multiplayer Party Games

I am contesting some of the categories you are suggesting the Wii U dominates in. But I think I do really like the WRPG, JRPG, action-adventure, racing games, sports games, FPS, etc.

AniHawk

guess i'll field this one since i'm one of those people with a wii u and not a ps4.

so the way i work, usually, is that i buy a console or handheld once there are three games that interest me on the platform and once the platform is in a personal price range. this is a relatively new rule, but it keeps me from getting buyer's remorse.

the ps4 is finally affordable to me. $299.99 is the max i will spend for a console. i didn't buy a wii u at launch because of this. i also didn't buy a wii u at launch because it didn't have three games i wanted. once rayman legends, pikmin, the wind waker, and nsmbu/nslu were out, i bought one. at the very least, i knew i would be happy with these games.

i know my tastes, and they aren't being catered to yet on the ps4. fallout is fun, but it's not something i'd buy a platform for the same way i wouldn't buy the wii u for star fox zero... but star fox zero might get my attention since i already have that platform.

for me, the sony platform this gen so far has been the vita. ys, danganronpa, and tearaway are the more japanese and quirky games that i enjoy - things that engage imagination more. i cannot tell you how little i care for the uncharted series or most movie-games. next year looks like it's finally going to be when the ps4 picks things up though. i have maybe some bad faith in the last guardian, but i hope it delivers. i also am looking forward to wild and mirror's edge. those three would be enough for me to buy the platform with the intention of only enjoying those games, where i would be happy with checking out other things too, like fallout 4 and probably persona 5 (depending on the situation, i could get this on ps3 instead).

KevinCow

Banned
The same story with 2D platformers. Nintendo are hardly the company innovating in this genre - which is strange given the fact that this used to be Nintendo's bread and butter. In fact, it's the indies that are producing the best 2D platformers these days.

How are the indies producing the best 2D platformers these days? Tropical Freeze is a better platformer than a dozen indie platformers combined. NSMBU is one of the best Mario games. Haven't played Yoshi's Woolly World yet, but if Good Feel's previous efforts are anything to go by, it's infinitely more polished than any indie platformer I've ever played.

Please, name just a few 2D indie platformers that even begin to compare to something like Tropical Freeze. The only one I can think of that even comes close is Super Meat Boy, and that's five years old at this point.

I'm not 100% sure what "Character Action" means but one area Nintendo have seemed to excel in was the party games - however, Mario Party 10 is considered the weakest in the series for quite some time and Amiibo Festival was thrown together in a week if you're to listen to Animal Crossing fans.

Character action is stuff like Bayonetta and DMC. And I'm pretty sure by party games, he meant stuff like Smash and Nintendo Land.

As far as Kart Racers go.....I wasn't even aware that this was an actual genre. Next there will be genres labelled "best game where you get mushrooms and go down drainpipes" genre or the ever illusive "guy wearing dungarees with red hat and funny mustache" genre. Nintendo will sweep up every time as Sony and Microsoft are hardly racing to create an entry in the "guy wearing dungarees with red hat and funny mustache" genre. How many companies are actually pumping out cart racing games on a regular basis? I can't think of many but I could be mistaken.

How the fucking shit is kart racing not a genre? Aside from Mario Kart, there's Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing/Nitro Racing, ModNation Racers, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Konami Krazy Racers, Sonic & All-Stars Racing/Transformed, maybe Jak X if you want to count that, not to mention a million shitty shovelware ones like M&Ms and South Park. It's a subgenre of racing games as much as racing sims or futuristic racers.

Haunted

The quality is there, but simply not in any meaningful quantity.

It does make for a good second/supporting system.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
guess i'll field this one since i'm one of those people with a wii u and not a ps4.

so the way i work, usually, is that i buy a console or handheld once there are three games that interest me on the platform and once the platform is in a personal price range. this is a relatively new rule, but it keeps me from getting buyer's remorse.

the ps4 is finally affordable to me. $299.99 is the max i will spend for a console. i didn't buy a wii u at launch because of this. i also didn't buy a wii u at launch because it didn't have three games i wanted. once rayman legends, pikmin, the wind waker, and nsmbu/nslu were out, i bought one. at the very least, i knew i would be happy with these games.

i know my tastes, and they aren't being catered to yet on the ps4. fallout is fun, but it's not something i'd buy a platform for the same way i wouldn't buy the wii u for star fox zero... but star fox zero might get my attention since i already have that platform.

for me, the sony platform this gen so far has been the vita. ys, danganronpa, and tearaway are the more japanese and quirky games that i enjoy - things that engage imagination more. i cannot tell you how little i care for the uncharted series or most movie-games. next year looks like it's finally going to be when the ps4 picks things up though. i have maybe some bad faith in the last guardian, but i hope it delivers. i also am looking forward to wild and mirror's edge. those three would be enough for me to buy the platform with the intention of only enjoying those games, where i would be happy with checking out other things too, like fallout 4 and probably persona 5 (depending on the situation, i could get this on ps3 instead).

I'm pretty similar. My rule has to be enough games at MSRP in the pipeline or out that I must own to equal or exceed the cost of the system. Wii U hit that at launch, but just barely (Also my Wii happened to start dying that year so I wanted something to move my digital purchases over to) but PS4 is still a ways off and XB1 will probably never reach that. Vita has done well enough for me as a Sony system, and I tend to wait for games on that system to hit rock bottom prices.

Maybe I'll change my tune when DQ XI and FF XV and KH 3 are out. The system might also hit 199.99 next black Friday which means I'd only need four games to get over my threshold.

bman94

Given that Nintendo couldn't lean on their biggest and most profitable franchises (3D Mario, Legend of Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart) for new releases I think Nintendo had a damn good year. Nintendo had a lot of new concepts that really worked in their favor. People seem to have short term memory loss when it gets to the end of the year and November goes by. If anything 2016 will be a transition year.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

A big chunk if Playstation 4's "major" releases are shooters, open-world games and other stuff that's overly violent.

The remaining software isn't numerous enough for me to drop the money on the console.

This isn't to say any of these games are bad, they're just not for me.

I lined up on launch night for the PS4, and after 2 years of not playing it much I sold it this summer, while my Wii U has been played constantly. It has nothing to do with things not being Nintendo, and everything to do with the titles I care about on PS4 (Deus Ex, Uncharted 4) taking years to come out, while the AAA industry moves primarily towards Western games and blood & guts titles that leave me a bit cold. Like, I'm sure Bloodborne is really well made, but in a world of infinite choice for gaming, it doesn't move the needle for me. I have a Vita to play indies on. Also, I like retro gaming so the virtual console, while an afterthought to many, is a gold mine to me; between VC and catching up on Wii titles I missed through BC, I have never ever felt like there was a drought on Wii U. I've had more fun with Fire Emblem 7 on GBA VC than most anything else that came out this year.

Rez VR has convinced me to get another PS4 down the line, when I do I'll grab the handful of titles that really move me. I used to be really into Playstation, but by and large the industry has moved away from the style of game I'm into.

Top Bottom