• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] - Rise of the Tomb Raider Release Date Was Delayed On PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTICE - I'd like to preface this thread by saying I honestly don't mean to be disrespectful by posting another thread about this news, or be disrespectful to the mod who locked the other thread about the same news, but I tried my best to understand why it was locked by PM-ing Modbot and another mod and perhaps continue the discussion where it was claimed "there is another thread for this". So I searched GAF for the third time to double check I hadn't glossed over a thread, but again, I found nothing about it, apart from my locked thread; there wasn't another thread dedicated to the news, nor was there a reply in my PM by the mod as to why the thread may have been locked, so I was genuinely left confused by the decision to lock it.

The reason why I had made the thread in the very first place was because the news cropped up in an NPD thread, and of course, not everyone checks the NPD threads, nor was the discussion about this news concentrated in that thread, as the discussion tends to revolve around the NPD results and sales, because you know, it's an NPD thread. As a result, I decided to make a dedicated thread to this news because it's not uncommon to see a specific thread to be made about a piece of news that was posted in another unrelated thread.

This was evidenced by the fact that this insight/insider information was news to many (i.e. those who hadn't seen it in the NPD thread), but unfortunately, not many more people knew about it as the thread was locked quickly. Of course I respect the mod's decision to lock it, but unfortunately I don't understand it, because it doesn't make any sense, and when I tried to ask why and gain some insight, I had no reply. It would have benefited me greatly as I perhaps missed something obvious that the Mod could clearly see, but unfortunately that was not the case. I still do not know what was meant when Modbot said we already have a thread going for it because there wasn't any thread about the news, and besides, it was buried (and the discussion ended quick) in the other NPD thread and so, I thought it was best to let others know about it too as it was newsworthy and not related to NPD.

Of course any insight as to why it was locked/whether I'm pushing my luck too far into making another thread would be appreciated. I genuinely don't mean to be purposefully disrespectful, but I legitimately want to understand what my mistake was so I know not to repeat it in the future.

I hope you guys understand and I hope I'm not breaking any further ToS by doing this.

76f6d44c922db44eed2628251694c32b.png

Original News

Hey all,

So I know this insider info may be old to some (as it was revealed 8 days ago on the November NPD thread, and hinted at by Kagari from a post she made back in July regarding Square delaying the PS4 version and increasing the timed exclusivity duration), but I figured since not everyone visits NPD threads, this information may have gone under the radar, and so it maybe news to many people. It also gives some perspective as to why SE stupidly changed the PS4 exclusivity window from approximately 4-6 months to 1 year. So this is actually about the PS4 version being delayed even further than what was originally decided.

Basically, in a nutshell, the news is, a GAF member has a contact inside SE** saying that the PS4 version was delayed to Q4 in exchange for Square being able to announce the PS4/PC versions earlier whilst also avoiding Uncharted 4's release. Please read the posts further below for the full story details.

**By the way, for legitimacy sake, this GAF member was PM-med by Bish (who 'checks' insiders to ensure that they're in a position to be privy to the information that they're sharing). This was successful as the poster, AnthonypUK, was then later verified by Bish as to having access to the insider information and being able to share it - so the info is reliable to an extent, but that's not all. The news about the deal changing is also supported and further reinforced by the fact that Kagari, who also has direct contact(s) inside Square, hinted at this news back in July. And the biggest evidence to support this, is that Square Enix are the ones who did this deal - so it's not surprising that they'd be this stupid to do such a decision.

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Here's the story:

Yup, looks like in the initial agreement they couldn't even talk about the other versions of the game before the Xbox release.

SE wanted to talk PS4/PC versions, after the lackluster reception/pre orders of ROTR, to try and at least build some anticipation for the other versions, hence renegotiation, and delaying the PS4 version was the cost. My guy said SE didn't mind this as the delay meant it avoided UC4's release.

I mentioned the deal changed in a different thread but some people didn't believe~

...in reference to this post on the the Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4/PC announcement thread back in July:

Kagari said:
harSon said:
Didn't you say the timed exclusivity was 4-6 months? Think it may have changed recently?
It still applies to the PC version. Around the time of Uncharted's delay I'd still heard it was both but it must have changed within the last few months.
It still applies to the PC version. Around the time of Uncharted's delay I'd still heard it was both but it must have changed within the last few months.

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Personal Thoughts

So in summary, the way this fantastic IP has been mismanaged by Square/Crystal is pretty awful IMO. Someone made an interesting point as to how insane some of the decisions are that definitely make you scratch your head.

1. An entry in an AAA franchise that was closely associated with the now leading platform WW, which also happened to be the platform the last game sold most on is made up to be an exclusive for up to a year on said platform. Granted, the PS3 generation TR's were heavily marketed w/Xbox, but there was still a sizeable chunk of the fanbase on the PS console - Ok, that's cool whatever, the timed exclusivity is done and dusted. Now how will Square Enix/Microsoft try to optimise the sales with the install base they've got? Yes it's not as much as the PS4, but it's still a decent and healthy install base.
  2. After MS becoming the publisher, they saw fit to bundle the title in a 1Tb $399 bundle (instead of $349), which would THEN be exclusive to 1 retailer in the US AND not even be sold in the biggest European market where the franchise even ORIGINATED from (UK) - That's an even bigger head scratch; why would you limit your retail partners that are selling this bundle? And why wouldn't you do the same for countries outside NA?
  3. So let's release it on the same day as the long anticipated Fallout 4 - Ok, the release date was about being stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding other big releases, but I guess that put the final nail in the coffin for many.
These decisions are simply baffling IMO and it all led to a botched deal. I think, even with the timed exclusivity deal, the sales could have been much better by avoiding some of the mistakes mentioned above. Granted, perhaps not by a lot, but every little counts, right?

Hmmm....a mess, but I'm over it. Its a good game I will get to once I get to it. I don't see this as news anymore, the results are In the sales.

Yeah I was wondering why the other thread was locked.

I think you should use a bit less red in the OP though. Bold does the job.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What a goddamned mess.

EvB

Everyone is over this type of nonsense, which is why there was barely a whimper that Sony had moneyhatted Kojima Production's first game

GOOCHY

Everyone is over this type of nonsense, which is why there was barely a whimper that Sony had moneyhatted Kojima Production's first game

What does one have to do with the other? Not being snarky, serious question.

Kill3r7

Hey look two companies made a bad business deal. I am not sure what's there to discuss at this point. It's not as though the game is going to release at an earlier date on the PS4.

Yeah I was wondering why the other thread was locked.

I think you should use a bit less red in the OP though. Bold does the job.

Yeah, my apologies. I've edited the red and changed it to bold.

Hmmm....a mess, but I'm over it. Its a good game I will get to once I get to it. I don't see this as news anymore, the results are In the sales.

Yep, I understand. I do think some people will still find it interesting and bewildering that such a decision could be made. It speaks volumes IMO. I just hope the repercussion for CD aren't severe because no doubt they've made an excellent game, but the sales don't justify that :/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is this misrepresentation part of you guy's directive at the moment?

kadotsu

Banned
I think the last thread was locked to prevent some overexcited detectives to search for the original source of the rumor. A person could lo(o)se his/her job over this so a thread lock is more than justified.

Huh?

I think the last thread was locked to prevent some overexcited detectives to search for the original source of the rumor. A person could lo(o)se his/her job over this so a thread lock is more than justified.

Ah interesting point actually. I can appreciate that (I just hoped someone could tell me earlier so I wouldn't have made this thread...woops, my bad! :S)

Vamphuntr

You post some crazies conspiracies theories about sabotage even if you know they don't make sense? The highlighted text everywhere makes it even funnier.

Abylim

Honestly, I'm over ROTR.

Its to the point now where I dont think I'll even pick it up when it hits the PS4.

IF I do, it would need to be a damn good sale. And this from a guy who loved the reboot. Bought it on ps3, then again on PS4.

Nouzka

I think reason given by mod was that there was another thread about this, although I don't know what the other thread was.

Yeah, my apologies. I've edited the red and changed it to bold.

Yep, I understand. I do think some people will still find it interesting and bewildering that such a decision could be made. It speaks volumes IMO. I just hope the repercussion for CD aren't severe because no doubt they've made an excellent game, but the sales don't justify that :/
Yeah hopefully...ill get it next year and do might part.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I always thought it was a Q4 game for PS4, but wasn't 100% sure. Let's see if I still care about it a whole year later and after playing Naughty Dogs new game.

So the release is staggered with first a separate Xbox release, 6 months after that a PC release and 6 months after that finally the PS4 release?

That doesn't seem like a great tactic. The other versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider will probably be buried in the monster of a year for game releases 2016 looks like it's going to be.

If you are going to level the charge of sabotage, you better bring something stronger...

You post some crazies conspiracies theories about sabotage even if you know they don't make sense? The highlighted text everywhere makes it even funnier.

I actually forgot to cut that part of the post out lol. I said in the previous thread that these points are part of a crazy conspiracy theory (that the poster wrote tongue in cheek and was joking about, he wasn't serious), but I forgot to say that here lol. When I was CTRL-C and CTRL-V, I forgot to take that part out about sabotage, because it doesn't actually say that the person was joking. But no worries! It's edited now.

Yeah, what is the OP trying to say? That Microsoft paid a bunch of money for Rise of the Tomb Raider and then deliberately sunk its sales? Because... ?

Sorry, my part, it wasn't my post and it was another person's post which I forgot to cut out completely lol. Edited now :)

Kojima's game is never going to be made for XB1. SE is literally sitting on a completed product for the PS4.

It says in the other thread that it was locked because there is another thread like this. Though I searched and I'm not sure what the thread their talking about is.

gcubed

Q4 mean release in time to be on a fire sale for Black Friday?

That would be the only way I'm picking it up in 2016. The game is going to drop in price so fast it's not worth buying it day 1. Good job SE

I think reason given by mod was that there was another thread about this, although I don't know what the other thread was.

It says in the other thread that it was locked because there is another thread like this. Though I searched and I'm not sure what the thread their talking about is.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. I guess the reason Kadotsu mentioned would have sufficed to begin with but the reason about there being another thread made me confused a bit because I thought I was missing something lol.

Square made the deal because it didn't want to compete with UC4. It made sense at the time. UC would bury TR irrespective of the quality of the games. So Square signed a deal with the other side so it would be a competing exclusive. It actually made sense because a buyer would be thinking about that genre specifically when picking a system and would be more likely to buy it.

Then UC4 was delayed. That ruined everything. No doubt the second that happened they regretted it.

Still, it was a smart deal at the time. It was good for both sides. SE did right. You just can't foresee everything.

Dragon

Banned

The thread was locked but not removed, if the information is still present here and in the NPD thread, the only thing a person couldn't do is post it on GAF, they could still post it on Twitter, etc. If that is indeed why it was locked, seems like GAF just covering its butt :)

The Chef

Man crazy news. Unfortunately all my excitement for the game has all but vanished at this point. Tomb Raider didn't deserve such a fate.

Also OP - in regard you having zero success contacting a mod remember that "Modbot" is not a single mod but rather a tool that other Mods can use to not use their main mod account which is why you probably never received a response. Not sure why they do this here on Gaf. Maybe so a moderator can do whatever and not get a bad reputation?

At least, thats what I think it is. *shrug*

Sojgat

One of the best games of the year was mismanaged by the morons at Square, and the same idoits who nearly destroyed the Xbox brand at the reveal of their current gen console.

There's no conspiracy here, just a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing half the time.

Delayed just so it was allowed to be announced...what a load of tosh!

Never heard such stupid reasoning in my life for a delay. Fitting a Square peg in a round hole indeed.

Spaghetti

if you look at what kojima had to say about working with people he trusted and who understood him after leaving konami, you'd know sony supporting kojima productions is not a case of "omg moneyhat"

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One of the best games of the year was mismanaged by the morons at Square and the same idoits who nearly destroyed the Xbox brand at the reveal of their current gen console.
According to the reviews and the people I spoke to about the game, it's a game that is just better in every way than the predecessor.

And that predecessor was quite well liked on GAF because it got Top 8 in the GAF GOTY.

I don't understand Microsoft's mentality behind this exclusivity deal at all. They moneyhatted a game that could directly compete with Uncharted 4, even though Tomb Raider has always sold best on PlayStation and it's heavily-affiliated with that particular brand. Okay. What's more, individually, Uncharted 2 and 3 sold more than Tomb Raider 2013 despite those games being limited to one system. If Uncharted is the bigger franchise then why purposefully stack Rise of the Tomb Raider against it? And then Uncharted 4 gets delayed and the whole Uncharted vs Tomb Raider narrative is thrown out of the window, yet Microsoft insists the game still comes out in the midst of the holiday season and the same week as Fallout 4.

Liam-Neeson-Why.gif

Baffling.

Setsuna

Difference is Sony came out and and said
-The game is being paid for by them and that its coming out on PS4 and PC

Square enix announced
Tthe game as multi platform,
-Then it switched to being xbox exclusive with the most vague wording in history
-Then they unveiled that its coming to ps4 and PC

Alucrid

Banned
lol. why would microsoft agree to that? delaying it to q4 doesn't seem helpful at all when people now know about it coming out to the other platforms

Sojgat

According to the reviews and the people I spoke to about the game, it's a game that is just better in every way than the predecessor.

And that predecessor was quite well liked on GAF because it got Top 8 in the GAF GOTY.

It's a fantastic game. Better than the last Tomb Raider in almost every way.

killroy87

Haha, this conspiracy isn't interesting enough to justify this much effort.

Could be true. If true, seems like a dumb move by Square Enix to punish themselves with what may be diluted sales because of a further delay.

Didn't kojima say he got offers from else where but decided to go with sony because of their history?!

- An entry in an AAA franchise that was closely associated with the now leading platform WW, which also happened to be the platform the last game sold most on is made up to be an exclusive for up to a year on said platform.
Well, Microsoft has been trying to "claim" Tomb Raider for Xbox for years now. They paid for two pieces of permanently 360 exclusive story DLC for Underworld. Guardian of Light was a (1 month IIRC) timed XBLA exclusive. The reboot premiered on an Xbox press conference and had timed exclusive DLC. None of this seems to have worked to disassociate the games from PlayStation, but they just keep going at it.

Square made the deal because it didn't want to compete with UC4. It made sense at the time. UC would bury TR irrespective of the quality of the games. So Square signed a deal with the other side so it would be a competing exclusive. It actually made sense because a buyer would be thinking about that genre specifically when picking a system and would be more likely to buy it.

Then UC4 was delayed. That ruined everything. No doubt the second that happened they regretted it.

Still, it was a smart deal at the time. It was good for both sides. SE did right. You just can't foresee everything.

I'm not so sure that's true, games get delayed all the time and in fact Square-Enix delay them more than most, so they had to have known this was a possibility and should have protected themselves against it. Particularly when it might have done lasting damage to an IP they only relatively recently spent millions trying to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom