• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #179 - "Make Sense"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Theme - "Make Sense"

We live in troubled times. I suppose one could also ask when do we not? Regardless, I'd like to make sense of it. Some of it. All of it. I dunno.

Take a break from your life. Find a space. And Think.

Don't think that this necessarily corners you into 'serious fiction'. You can absolutely do this - write serious fiction - if you want. But you can just as well think we need a bit of escapism. A comedy even. Or a nonsense poem.

Come to think of it, it doesn't even have to reflect the times we live in. You could try and make sense of anything you like. Whether it's the wars of old. Or Love in the modern age.

Interpret the theme however you like.

Word Limit: 2016 words

Submission Deadline: Friday January 1st 11:59 pacific time.

Voting Deadline: Monday January 4th 11:59 pacific time.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Literary Story

'...works that offer deliberate social commentary, political criticism, or focus on the individual to explore some part of the human condition.'

[Also Optional] Super bonus op's special request:

Please write with children in mind. Whether that's very young children or young adults, I'm not fussed. It's Christmas. And I Iike reading Children's fiction at Christmas. :)

Writing Hangout: The first sunday of every challenge we have a two hour google hangout to give people a chance to write and talk shop. It happens Sunday 2pm pacific time and lasts till 4pm. While at least a mic is recommended, you DON'T need that nor a webcam to participate. We have a text chat too. The way they're laid out, is 10 minutes of chatting, then everyone turns off their mic and hunkers down to write for half an hour. Rinse and repeat. Anyone is welcome to join, newcomers and vets alike.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.
-Critiques are NOT required. They're simply a thing some posters do. That said, if you like feedback, people would probably like to hear your feedback.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Ashes

Banned
I especially like that I'm going to be reading the stories over Christmas after the January 1st deadline.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Well, I've definitely got the secondary covered, since that seems to be my modus operandi as it is.

mu cephei

I always worry that I go for the most obvious interpretation of the theme.

It's appalling I last entered one of these back in April. I might try to make myself enter every, or every other challenge next year (which would actually start with this one...)

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in half an hour (I will be a little bit late). Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

Note that Google Hangouts recently moved to a new format, which doesn't include the text chat. If you want to switch back, hit the three dots in the upper right corner and choose the option to switch to the old version.

Nezumi

I was about to ask for an extension of the deadline when I realized that we already got an extra week! Awesome, I'll take that as an early Christmas present :D

"The Hot Take"

Note: This is a fictional review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and DOES NOT contain spoilers/actual content from the movie.

I love Star Wars. My wife loves Star Wars. When we go to bed, we say, “Goodnight Star Wars!” to each other and then kiss on the lips while mouthing the words “Star Wars.” When we go see a movie, if it’s not Star Wars, we both yell, “NOT STAR WARS!” and fling our coats around as we run toward the emergency exit.

Okay, now let me get to the review/hot take. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything for you. The only thing to keep in mind is that Han Solo kills Princess Leia with an airsoft gun 34 minutes into the movie.

First things first: The title of the movie is Star Wars: The Force Awakens. An easy way to remember this is to take a pillbox, cross out the letters for Monday and Tuesday, and turn Saturday into an A to spell out SWTFA. Then take a picture of the pillbox with your phone for your LinkedIn profile.

The movie begins with “All The Small Things” by Blink 182 playing over a completely blank screen. Slowly, a large block of text in Impact font that reads “J.J. ABRAMS” fades into view. This is too reassure the viewer than J.J. has taken care of all the details Star Wars fans have come to expect, like lightsabers and swooping. The song is repeated one more time and with that we’re ready to go!

The main characters of Star Wars Movie are named Finn and Rey. Okay, not everything about this movie can be good so just try to ignore this as best you can.

Finn walks into that bar from the first movie and loudly announces, “I’M THE BLACK GUY!” Everyone seems to be okay with this…for now. Later on, Finn meets a woman named Rey played by actress Daisy Ridley. If you’d like, post a video of your labrador barking “RAISY RIDLEY!” on camera for YouTube hits/Ellen.

Here is the main premise/gist of the movie: Finn is in love with Rey, but they can’t get married because she’s already engaged to a hotshot ad executive named Kylo Ren. He has a lot of money and bosses Rey around by saying things like “You go with Kylo…GOT IT?!” while snapping his fingers. Kylo is the bad guy even though all of his merchandise says “I’m not the bad guy” on it. Looks like ol’ J.J. tricked you and everyone you know.

So Finn is sitting in his bedroom listening to Imagine Dragons (who double as the Cantina band) trying to figure out how to win Rey’s heart when all of a sudden Han Solo climbs through his window and sits on the edge of Finn’s bed to offer some advice.

WARNING: DIALOG BELOW:

Han Solo: You love her, don’t you?

Finn: Of course, my name is Finn.

Han Solo: I loved a girl once and my name isn’t Finn.

Finn: Are you sure?

Han Solo: No.

Finn: Okay go over to my desk and Google “Is my name Finn?”

Han trips on a football while walking over to the computer and falls out the window to his death. This is the first of many deaths in the movie including Rey who also falls out of window but for a different reason that you’ll just have to see for yourself.

So Finn walks over to Rey’s house and is about to ring the doorbell when he notices Kylo pulling into her driveway in a limousine with a license plate that reads “KYLOL1.” Finn quickly jumps into the hedges so Rey doesn’t spot him. This is where he meets R2D2 and C-3PO.

There’s another character named Poe Dameron who sets up the Star Wars/Mortal Kombat spinoff coming in 2017. He’s only on screen for 30 seconds and it’s the best part of the entire movie.

R2 and 3PO split a bottle of Arbor Mist moscasto on the tennis court at Finn’s old high school and devise a plan to bring Kylo down once and for all. 3PO thinks the best idea is to just marry Rey himself. R2, who talks in this movie, suggests they pull Kylo’s pants down in front of everyone. Finn says, “Those are both really good ideas but I think I know an even better way to make Kylo regret the day he met Finn!”

I should point out that “Those are both really good ideas but I think I know an even better way to make Kylo regret the day he met Finn!” is the breakout catchphrase of the movie that everyone will be repeating for years to come.

Finn walks up to Kylo at the bar and says, “Those are both really good ideas but I think I know an even better way to make Kylo regret the day he met Finn!” Kylo says, “You think this is a game?” while raising his hands in a I’m questioning what you just said fashion. Finn didn’t hear Kylo over Imagine Dragons so he says it again, only this time Kylo whispers it into Finn’s ear. Finn whipsers back, “Yeah, a game of chance!” and throws an entire stack of chance Monopoly cards at Kylo, cutting his legs all the way off.

Just before the movie ends, the action freezes and President Obama walks onto the screen and says, “Thank you for letting me be your president for the past 8 years,” while the theater manager instructs moviegoers to STAND UP AND SALUTE THE PRESIDENT. Ushers with flashlights make sure everyone in the theater complies before restarting the projector.

Kylo, in his last act of heroism because he’s a good guy now, says, “Okay, you win Finn. You can marry Rey.” But just as Finn is about to shake Kylo’s hand with the secret handshake that all Jedi across the galaxy are privileged to know, Rey trips on a football and falls out of a window, landing on and killing both Kylo and Finn. EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier portion of this review incorrectly states that Finn falls out of a window to his death rather than being crushed by Rey.

BB-8 rolls onto the screen and says, “Thanks for watching the movie! See you next time!” and rolls away with an acorn while being chased by the squirrel from Ice Age.

The credits includes a 95 minute blooper reel of Amy Schumer belching.

Luke Skywalker never appears in the movie.

HORRORSHØW

i had such a clichéd idea for a story of a little boy going xmas shopping with his mother and he sees a homeless man making cents on the corner. the mother is disgusted by what she sees, but the boy is compelled by compassion to dig into his pockets and drop everything he has into the homeless man's cup. there's a message in there somewhere about wealth not being the enemy of poverty; it is apathy. or some such nonsense.

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

Note that Google Hangouts recently moved to a new format, which doesn't include the text chat. If you want to switch back, hit the three dots in the upper right corner and choose the option to switch to the old version.

Cyan

Banned
Oh damn, I thought I was totally finished and was about to post my story, then I thought to do a wordcount. Over by 200. :/

I'll get back to it later.

Nezumi

Happy New Year Writing Gaf!!! Here's to another year of awesome stories.

Again I pledge to submit something for every challenge as my New-Years-Resolution. Hopefully this year I'll do better than the last!

I love you guys!!!!

Tangent

Happy New Year, indeed, Nezumi!!!

I love you guys too! In fact, I think I've decided I detest writing. But I won't let go because I love you guys! Okay, maybe I don't detest it, but I certainly am frenemies with writing.

Boy, I like this prompt but it's HARD! And I thought the secondary secondary would be up my alley but it's freezing my brain instead!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Can't say I'm terribly happy with my output, but I'm on board with trying to participate regularly. For this one, I figured I'd try doing as much as I could through dialog alone, see how far it gets me.

A Deal is Made Over Brunch

Tangent

New Kid on the Block (1111 words)

I'm glad we got some extra time on this one. This came out substantially better than the first thing I was working on.
I wish I were saying the same thing. It'd be nice to start the new year with these thoughts!

AH man, I still have nothing... An extra week utterly wasted...
Right?!?! I had a dozen ideas, but none I was jazzed about, so I kept on waiting...and waiting, for an idea to really thrill me. If anyone has any advice on how to quit this habit so I start earlier, I'm all ears. There must be something else I can do than "wait." But it seems silly or wasteful to write about something I'm not into. Wasteful for me to write and you to read. It's like "writing commitment phobia." Hmm.

Ashes

Banned
Same.

edit: I should say that in my case, I did just lose my story. My computer just restarted by it self. It is my fault because I left it to the last minute. But I know what to write even if the task is harder a second time round.

Nezumi

Same.

edit: I should say that in my case, I did just lose my story. My computer just restarted by it self. It is my fault because I left it to the last minute. But I know what to write even if the task is harder a second time round.

Oh, that sucks!

I'm done. Now I only have to wait until my husband is able to pause his gaming to give it a quick proof read then I'll post it...

Ashes

Banned
I initially wanted to retell Anton Chekhov's The Misery. But I lost my work. So the following is based on something similar to that story but pretty different in scope and audience but not in feeling. Hopefully.

A Christmas Miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom